PDA

View Full Version : Umpires in the announcer's booth?

eastchicagosoxfan
06-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Has an umpire ever gone on to be a commentator? I think an ump would bring a great perspective to the game.

turners56
06-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Has an umpire ever gone on to be a commentator? I think an ump would bring a great perspective to the game.

That would be a pretty cool idea. The stories he would tell should be pretty funny.

ondafarm
06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I've occasionally heard an umpire come in for an extended interview. I don't think they'd like it, too much schlepping around to be with the team everywhere they go. Most MLB umpires spent a long time in the minors going to really small towns.

eriqjaffe
06-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Most MLB umpires spent a long time in the minors going to really small towns.So did a lot of MLB players, and plenty of them go on to become commentators. ;)

MeteorsSox4367
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Did Ron Luciano ever do any TV? I know he wrote a book or two. Then again, so did Ken Kaiser, who was one of the most horse(bleep) umps ever. IIRC, didn't Kaiser once roll a ball to one of the Sox' pitchers after getting inadvertently drilled in the mask with a pitch?

ondafarm
06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
So did a lot of MLB players, and plenty of them go on to become commentators. ;)

The average MLB player spends half the time or less as the average ump. Besides, minor league players have a "home" of sorts in one town where they play half their games. Umps are on the road the whole time.

Paulwny
06-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Former MLB umpire Steve Palmero, who was crippled from a shot in the back helping a robbery victim, was an occassional commentator for WPIX(yank games) to give the umpire point of view.
It was bad as all he'd do was defend umpires' blown calls. When an over head camera would show a pitch to be 2 inches outside and called a strike or a close play called wrong, he'd blame it the cameras giving a distorted view or the camera angle the problem which didn't show the play properly.

Railsplitter
06-05-2008, 07:19 PM
I beleive Ron Luciano did some post-season games for NBC in the late 70's or early 80's

If players and managers can be broadcasters, why not umps?

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2008, 07:26 PM
It would be an exceptionally bad idea to have an ump in the booth with Hawk. It would devolve into a brawl after the first blown call or ejection.

Viva Medias B's
06-05-2008, 07:31 PM
I think Ken Kaiser would be an interesting color commentator. He would be baseball broadcasting's answer to John Madden.

whitesoxwilkes
06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I think Ken Kaiser would be an interesting color commentator. He would be baseball broadcasting's answer to John Madden.

Kaiser is from my hometown. He's quite the celebrity there.

ondafarm
06-06-2008, 12:25 PM

The Telestrator thing has been done to death, IMHO.

Law11
06-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Id love to have hawk and an ump in there when Hawk gives one of his, where was that pitch or must have caught the outside corner of the outside part of the plate bits..