PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Stark A.L. Central Report / Column

Lip Man 1
06-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Good reading:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

Lip

gamblinkenny
06-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Good read. I'd have to agree with the depth of the lineup concern, but our lineup isn't exactly productive to begin with.

Carolina Kenny
06-05-2008, 01:47 PM
R E S P E C T

Find out what it means to me.

TDog
06-05-2008, 01:56 PM
That was surprisingly good reading.

Many will probably only take away from it what they already believe, and indeed, I got a kick out of the fact that my preseason assessment of Miguel Cabrera's attitude after signing his jackpot contract is in line with Jayson Stark's in-season assessment of what happened to Miguel Cabrera after signing his jackpot contract. But it's a good analysis of the division, where the White Sox who can't hit are leading the division where the Tigers, Indians and Royals can't hit and the Twins don't have great hitting or pitching.

Every team, except the Royals, has reason for optimism. Every team, especially the Royals, have reason for pessimism. It doesn't go into great depth, for example, pointing out that the Royals got to both Jenks and Nathan for blown saves in successive weeks to force extra-inning games that they eventually lost -- a sign of a team that hasn't given up but isn't winning either. It points out the lack of depth on the Sox, which I hope Loaiza mitigates at least on the mound, but it also points out that the White Sox have the sort of pitching that wins World Series.

Thanks for pointing it out, Lip.

turners56
06-05-2008, 02:09 PM
After hearing about Liriano's minor league stats in the past couple of weeks, Minnesota is really starting to freak me out.

soxfanreggie
06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the link. Good read.

WhiteSox5187
06-05-2008, 03:39 PM
That was a good read. I was thinking about this, if we could get Thome and Paulie just to start hitting around .250 we'd be in great shape!

Carolina Kenny
06-05-2008, 03:56 PM
After hearing about Liriano's minor league stats in the past couple of weeks, Minnesota is really starting to freak me out.

If Minnestoa finishes in front of the Sox this year after losing both Tori Hunter and Santana, I will run naked from Chicago to St. Paul.(plus shave my hair and dye it Pink)

Carolina Kenny
06-05-2008, 04:06 PM
And the Twins just lost (leaving the tying run on second base with one out.)

balke
06-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I understand the depth comment, but I don't agree with it necessarily.

As far as positions go, OF has a backup in Jerry Owens which isn't great, but would work if someone went down. Also, Ramirez can play CF with Uribe/Richar/Getz/Ozuna filling in at 2B and as it stands now that doesn't look like a huge downgrade to the offense.

3B can be filled by Fields/Ozuna/Uribe/Ramirez?
C would hurt a the most to lose, but Lucy and Armstrong could come up
1B Fields/Swisher/Dye/Thome

Outside of Catcher here would have to a be a myriad of offensive injuries to hurt production as it stands now, especially with the way the top hitters are(n't) hitting.

I was a little concerned about SP if someone goes down, but with Loaiza/Ohka/Masset/Broadway all looking like they can help as a 5th man in a pinch, I don't think 1 SP going down would cripple the team.

aryzner
06-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Ah, the start of what could (should) be a geniunely good night! :D:

Mr.1Dog
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
If Minnestoa finishes in front of the Sox this year after losing both Tori Hunter and Santana, I will run naked from Chicago to St. Paul.(plus shave my hair and dye it Pink)

:scratch: Would you shave your head before you dye it pink or would you dye the shavings pink?

ondafarm
06-05-2008, 05:06 PM
While I agree on the Indians, Tigers and Royals (except I was telling everyone who would listen that the Tigers were fat and lazy and that the Indians down year last year wasn't a coinicdence)

I don't agree on the Twins and Sox. The Twins have a huge advantage with the Dome and are medicocre on the road. That doesn't win championships.

The Sox are thin? I have to say this is one of the most flexible teams I've seen in a long time.

Two major league catchers. L/R
Three first basemen. R/L/L
2 utility men (Uribe & Ozuna) able to play any infield spot.
A legit fourth outfielder (BA)
A legit sixth starter (Masset)
A spare (7th) starter in AAA (Haegar)
A capable back-up closer (Thornton)
Several relief men adequate for one inning (Dotel, Linebrink, Thornton, Logan, Masset.)
A spare lead-off man at AAA (Owens)

Sorry, I don't see this Sox team as weak in this category at all.

turners56
06-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Good ol' George Sherril. Remember, Juan Uribe has his number!

The Immigrant
06-05-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks for making my afternoon. I had no idea that was a day game. :bandance:

The Immigrant
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I was a little concerned about SP if someone goes down, but with Loaiza/Ohka/Masset/Broadway all looking like they can help as a 5th man in a pinch, I don't think 1 SP going down would cripple the team.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I think that Roger Bossard would be a better option for a spot start than Tomo Ohka. He's done.

Eddo144
06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
While I agree on the Indians, Tigers and Royals (except I was telling everyone who would listen that the Tigers were fat and lazy and that the Indians down year last year wasn't a coinicdence)
You mean the 2007 Indians team that was up three games to one in the ALCS? I'd hate to see what an "up" year for them is like. :scratch:

I don't agree on the Twins and Sox. The Twins have a huge advantage with the Dome and are medicocre on the road. That doesn't win championships.
Except the two the Twins won in which no World Series game was won by a road team. :tongue:

Cuck the Fubs
06-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Great read,

Thanks a bunch Lip!

white sox bill
06-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Its about time that publication put out something worth straining my eyes on!

JB98
06-05-2008, 06:56 PM

If it makes you feel any better, Charlotte roughed up Liriano in a recent start. And the Knights can't hit at all.