PDA

View Full Version : 464 Feet ?

BUMMER
06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I was surprised to learn Thome's homer over the ivy and onto the fan deck was recorded as only 460+ feet. I would think that it HAS to be over 500 ' to get up there.

1) anyone else think Thome got short-changed on the measurement?
2)I don't know how they measured the old "roofshots", but I was at a game when Dick Allen it one into the CF bleachers in front of the scoreboard at old Comiskey. Anyone been at a game and seen one longer?

DumpJerry
06-05-2008, 08:22 AM
It did not land on the Fan Deck. It did not touch the Fan Deck. I was standing a few feet away from where it landed. It landed about 5 feet or so in front of the concession stand under the Fan Deck. It was a little less than 70 feet past the Center Field wall which is 400 feet.

BRDSR
06-05-2008, 08:39 AM
I've heard that different parks use different standards of measurement for such home runs. Some use the distance from home plate to the first point of contact (which would be many feet above the ground in this case) and some use a projection of where the ball would have landed had it been allowed to continue it's flight to ground level. I don't know much more about it, and I probably heard that a few years ago (and probably on WSI), so take it for what it's worth.

BUMMER
06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
It did not land on the Fan Deck. It did not touch the Fan Deck. I was standing a few feet away from where it landed. It landed about 5 feet or so in front of the concession stand under the Fan Deck. It was a little less than 70 feet past the Center Field wall which is 400 feet.

Thanks for clarifying...My early newspaper didn't have the story and the person who told me about it said 'fan deck' - he must have meant 'concourse' Either way, I would think that the elevation (above field level) of where it hit would add some to the distance.....thanks again

Frontman
06-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Yeah, but did anyone get a good look at where it hit? :wink:

I felt for Rongey last night with the guy complaining about how that homer was measured. For crying out loud, the Sox won. Who cares if the home run distance was off, it still was an impressive home run to see!

Zisk77
06-05-2008, 09:20 AM
On tv they never showed the flight of the ball on its way to the concourse. Was it hit sky high or was it a line missile (which it seemed to be from the trajectory coming of the bat)?

balke
06-05-2008, 09:26 AM
It was a big HR, but it was no LTP shot. I'm just glad Sosa isn't the only guy to hit it that hard to CF.

twsoxfan5
06-05-2008, 09:49 AM
On tv they never showed the flight of the ball on its way to the concourse. Was it hit sky high or was it a line missile (which it seemed to be from the trajectory coming of the bat)?

It was not really either. It was hit pretty high (it had to be to clear that fence) but it was not sky high. I was in my seats in right center and I could not believe it cleared that fence. At the time my sister and I estimated the distance at about 480 when you looked at where it landed in relation to the 400 feet to straight away center so 464 seems pretty fair.

oeo
06-05-2008, 09:52 AM
It was a big HR, but it was no LTP shot.

I don't know. I say Thome's shot was, if not as impressive, more impressive than Borchard's shot. Thome's was hit to straight away center. That screen will probably never be cleared again.

Guys have come close to Borchard's shot.

soxfan13
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I was at the game in the left field bleachers and my guess was about 450 but I also thoght the first homerun the royals hit was foul:redface:. IMO I think the projection of the distance was pretty right on.

chisoxfanatic
06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
I was at the game in the left field bleachers and my guess was about 450 but I also thoght the first homerun the royals hit was foul:redface:. IMO I think the projection of the distance was pretty right on.
I did too from my spot in 149. But, oh well, we won!

I'd like to know how far that Thome shot would've traveled if the green ivy platform below the Fan Deck wasn't there. Regardless, that was the most wicked shot I've seen in a long time.

the gooch
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I've heard that different parks use different standards of measurement for such home runs. Some use the distance from home plate to the first point of contact (which would be many feet above the ground in this case) and some use a projection of where the ball would have landed had it been allowed to continue it's flight to ground level. I don't know much more about it, and I probably heard that a few years ago (and probably on WSI), so take it for what it's worth.

I'd like to know how far that Thome shot would've traveled if the green ivy platform below the Fan Deck wasn't there. Regardless, that was the most wicked shot I've seen in a long time.
The White Sox use where the ball would have landed. The guys that announce the distances have a really hard time even if the cameras show the replay because there aren't any around them in the press box and the number is expected immediately. I had to do it for the '03 home run derby (With cameras following the ball) and was just asking people around me "Where did that one land?" I didn't have a good read even with binoculars from the press box in other games.

balke
06-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Someone told me once Bonds did BP at U.S. Cell and hit one down the exit ramp in RF. Was that at the All-Star game? Has anyone else ever heard that?

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Someone told me once Bonds did BP at U.S. Cell and hit one down the exit ramp in RF. Was that at the All-Star game? Has anyone else ever heard that?
When the Giants came to the Cell for interleague play back in 2003, I definitely recall seeing Bonds crush a ball to the RF concourse during batting practice and the ball bouncing off of something and going out of the park. It may have ended up in the exit ramp, I'm not really sure!

CubKilla
06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
When the Giants came to the Cell for interleague play back in 2003, I definitely recall seeing Bonds crush a ball to the RF concourse during batting practice and the ball bouncing off of something and going out of the park. It may have ended up in the exit ramp, I'm not really sure!

The power of the cream and the clear!

BainesHOF
06-05-2008, 11:09 AM
If you consider the ball would have traveled further on its way to the ground, I've got to believe it would have landed about 500 feet from home plate. Of course, that's 100 feet short of Hawk's estimate.

UofCSoxFan
06-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I actually saw a "This Week In Baseball" segment once on how they measure home run distance and was suprised to find out how much it varries from ballpark to ballpark in terms of methodology. Some parks have charts that measure how far certain rows are from home, some only get as specific as to sections, still others have only the distances of certain "landmarks" and estimate off that. Other parks look at the distance mark of the wall where the ball went over, then make an estimate based on the angle of the ball (i.e. was it a line drive home run or a high fly).

The most interesting thing I found was that certain parks estimate based on where the ball hit where others estimate how far the ball would have gone had it not hit anything (i.e. was in an open field) which makes a HUGE difference. I mean it is far from an objective measurement and depends a lot of the media relations/scorer that estimates it (that differs from park to park as well). That is why at times you see moon shots and balls that barely get over the wall estimated near the same.

cwshats
06-05-2008, 12:07 PM
The ball was a shot so not hit particularly high. I don't lose many home run balls in flight but lost this one somewhere above center field where it was still going strong without dropping much and looked to the outfield ivy to try to see it land but I was looking too low and missed it. An andy fran said the ball landed in front of the center field food stand and bounced in there. I can't believe I lost it in flight!
I've seen several concourse homers in person including Borchard's and based on where this landed would think that this was the furthest plus it was a shot so not dropping as quickly as some others.

skottyj242
06-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Anyone remember Luis Terrero's blast last year against the Devil Rays?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM

I'm surprised the language filters allowed his name to be displayed. :cower:

DumpJerry
06-05-2008, 02:17 PM
That was a monster. Landed like the second or third from the last row under the Fundamentals Deck.

Back in 1983, I saw Luzinski hit one off Ray Fontenot of the Yanks that was still rising when it hit the light tower on the Left Field roof.

Foulke You
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I attended a game where Jermaine Dye blasted one off of Josh Beckett in 2006 that hit the top part of the hitters background in CF and knocked some ivy off the wall. A roided up Sosa hit one off of there too. However, the one Thome hit last night is the farthest I've ever seen hit to CF in the new Comiskey Park. I've never seen anyone clear the CF backdrop even in BP. Here is an interesting thought. Last night's weather was extremely humid and not ideal conditions for a ball to fly. If it had been warmer and dry outside with some wind blowing out, that ball just might have gotten on to the fan deck.:o:

Max Power
06-05-2008, 03:20 PM
The White Sox use where the ball would have landed.

If that's true then Thome was shortchanged. I can believe the spot on the centerfield concourse where the ball landed was 464 feet from home plate, but if it was allowed to continue to the ground it would have gone farther.

I've read a few articles about how home run measurements are done and it's an inexact science applied very differently around the league. Considering the fascination with the long ball, I'm kind of surprised MLB hasn't standardized the procedures for measuring HRs.

cbrownson13
06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I was young when this happened, so I don't know if it's completely accurate but I recall Dan Pasqua hitting one down the line and the ball hitting off what used to be a Winston advertisement above the concourse.

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I was young when this happened, so I don't know if it's completely accurate but I recall Dan Pasqua hitting one down the line and the ball hitting off what used to be a Winston advertisement above the concourse.

I remember that game, too, but I don't think the homer actually hit the Winston sign, and it was a little more toward right-center than just down the line.

Law11
06-05-2008, 04:32 PM

Bonds BP balls were crazy. One landed in the exit ramp in the UD RF in the one section in RF that is aligned with the Foul poul.

BadBobbyJenks
06-05-2008, 06:40 PM
How far was the Paulie catwalk shot in Tampa this weekend?

JB98
06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I attended a game where Jermaine Dye blasted one off of Josh Beckett in 2006 that hit the top part of the hitters background in CF and knocked some ivy off the wall. A roided up Sosa hit one off of there too. However, the one Thome hit last night is the farthest I've ever seen hit to CF in the new Comiskey Park. I've never seen anyone clear the CF backdrop even in BP. Here is an interesting thought. Last night's weather was extremely humid and not ideal conditions for a ball to fly. If it had been warmer and dry outside with some wind blowing out, that ball just might have gotten on to the fan deck.:o:

I was at the game where Dye hit his blast off Beckett as well. That one was measured at 456, IIRC.

JB98
06-05-2008, 06:49 PM
How far was the Paulie catwalk shot in Tampa this weekend?

422, I believe.

MikeKreevich
06-06-2008, 08:56 AM
I was at Comiskey Park when Mickey Mantle hit a line drive to the upper deck in deepest right right center. It was the longest home run I have ever seen. Here is an great article from Baseball Almanac on the longest home runs in history. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/art_hr.shtml
Mike Murphy had a discussion on moisture content of the air and it's affect on distance traveled, on his radio show recently. It seems that wetter air actually increases distance. Elevation of the ballpark related to sea level was also mentioned as a factor. More elevation, more travel.

HawkDJ
06-06-2008, 09:57 AM
According to the very accurate hittrackeronline.com, the true distance was 465 feet.

the gooch
06-06-2008, 10:08 AM
I actually saw a "This Week In Baseball" segment once on how they measure home run distance and was suprised to find out how much it varries from ballpark to ballpark in terms of methodology. Some parks have charts that measure how far certain rows are from home, some only get as specific as to sections, still others have only the distances of certain "landmarks" and estimate off that. Other parks look at the distance mark of the wall where the ball went over, then make an estimate based on the angle of the ball (i.e. was it a line drive home run or a high fly).

The most interesting thing I found was that certain parks estimate based on where the ball hit where others estimate how far the ball would have gone had it not hit anything (i.e. was in an open field) which makes a HUGE difference. I mean it is far from an objective measurement and depends a lot of the media relations/scorer that estimates it (that differs from park to park as well). That is why at times you see moon shots and balls that barely get over the wall estimated near the same.Not really. The Concourse (highest elevation a ball might hit) at USCF is either 20 or 25 ft above the playing field. In order to hit a ball that far, the terminal angle has a very small range, where the extra distance can be calculated to about 7 ft, tops.

If that's true then Thome was shortchanged. I can believe the spot on the centerfield concourse where the ball landed was 464 feet from home plate, but if it was allowed to continue to the ground it would have gone farther.

I've read a few articles about how home run measurements are done and it's an inexact science applied very differently around the league. Considering the fascination with the long ball, I'm kind of surprised MLB hasn't standardized the procedures for measuring HRs.You guys have been fed inflated distances for years. The '02 HR Derby in Milwaukee they were pulling the numbers out of their asses because they were exiting the stadium. How could there have been over a dozen homeruns that traveled over 500 ft, yet the next year at USCF the farthest was in the 460's? The Sox had accurate numbers, and while it took away the "Ooohs and Ahhs", I would rather they do it right like the Sox did. Thome's distance on Wednesday is accurate.

Mike Murphy had a discussion on moisture content of the air and it's affect on distance traveled, on his radio show recently. It seems that wetter air actually increases distance. Elevation of the ballpark related to sea level was also mentioned as a factor. More elevation, more travel.Yes. Humid weather actually helps the travel of the ball, but does not help it "bounce" off the bat. So the initial velocity of the ball could be affected if it has been sitting out in the humidity. That's why humidors are used for the balls at Coors (to offset the elevation).

When the Giants came to the Cell for interleague play back in 2003, I definitely recall seeing Bonds crush a ball to the RF concourse during batting practice and the ball bouncing off of something and going out of the park. It may have ended up in the exit ramp, I'm not really sure!That ball was a monster. It landed one section over from the batter's eye and was in the third to last row. Because I never got a good look where Borchard's landed, and because the previous record (Thomas) was taken off the bounce, my opinion is that could be the farthest homerun at this park to date.

balke
06-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah I saw Hawk trying to convince everyone the ball at its trajectory was going to go 100 more feet. Its pathetic. Then DJ said it was hit further than Borchard's.

Get over it. It wasn't longer, the tracking says so. And who cares anyways, Paulie's HR won the game. Talk about that one.

I was impressed by that shot because it was dead CF and now the longest shot to CF over Sosa's, but when someone actually hits the longest ball out it'll show in the record book.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Apparently the guys were talking about it in the clubhouse before yesterday's game: link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080605&content_id=2848867&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws).

I actually don't like this. Now, rather than focus on shortening their swings and hitting the ball to the opposite field, our slumping hitters are even more focused on pulling the ball into the stands than ever. Hopefully Alexei and Carlos can continue to carry the slack.

balke
06-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Apparently the guys were talking about it in the clubhouse before yesterday's game: link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080605&content_id=2848867&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws).

I actually don't like this. Now, rather than focus on shortening their swings and hitting the ball to the opposite field, our slumping hitters are even more focused on pulling the ball into the stands than ever. Hopefully Alexei and Carlos can continue to carry the slack.

With the weather warming up, this is what we should be waiting for. This team can't play small ball, too slow. Let's catch Philly in HR's this month I say. It'll help Dye, Thome, Konerko, Swisher, do what they are best at. Hit hr's and get walks.

twentywontowin
06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
In addition to the one Bonds crushed to right center in 2003, I think it was mentioned on here a few times he put a few foul balls down the line and into the upper tank, ala Yankee Stadium.

oeo
06-06-2008, 10:38 AM

I knew someone was going to say something about this. Who cares? It was a mammoth blast, and they talked about it after the game.

That's the sign of the end, I guess.

FarWestChicago
06-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Here is an great article from Baseball Almanac on the longest home runs in history. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/art_hr.shtmlThat's a great article and it explains why so many of us geezers know nobody ever hit the ball harder than Dick Allen. He lost less power to the opposite field than anybody. And they are talking about homers, not the 1 degree Kelvin frozen ropes he was so famous for. :cool:

whitesox901
06-07-2008, 11:14 AM
anyone got a video of Borchords shot?