PDA

View Full Version : Alexei Ramirez: MERCY!

SOXfnNlansing
06-04-2008, 11:16 PM
This guy has been awesome the past couple weeks! The plays he has made, especially tonight with that wet ball and all the bare hands! He's having a game like that Aaron game @NYY.

btrain929
06-04-2008, 11:17 PM
If I hear any **** from Ozzie saying we need Uribe's defense out there, I'm gonna ****ing snap.

soxfandy
06-04-2008, 11:21 PM
If I hear any **** from Ozzie saying we need Uribe's defense out there, I'm gonna ****ing snap.

I totally agree...i will lose my mind if I ever see uribe in a starting role on the white sox again.

We still can't hit...this is terrible

KnightSox
06-04-2008, 11:55 PM
If I hear any **** from Ozzie saying we need Uribe's defense out there, I'm gonna ****ing snap.Even though Uribe has pics of Ozzie in a compromising position, I doubt that they are compromising enough to get his job back the way Alexei is playing.

Soxman219
06-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Ramirez has been fantastic the last week and a half. He clearly as the second base job right now and definitely better than Uribe hitting wise. Let's hope he continues to grow into a great player.

DumpJerry
06-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Even though Uribe has pics of Ozzie in a compromising position, I doubt that they are compromising enough to get his job back the way Alexei is playing.
I thought that old and stale "joke" was dead and buried long ago when people realized it was no longer funny. Actually, it wasn't funny the first time.

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2008, 06:14 AM
I thought that old and stale "joke" was dead and buried long ago when people realized it was no longer funny. Actually, it wasn't funny the first time.

The only reason it wasn't funny was because none of us were smiling or laughing when Uribe was batting. :D:

KnightSox
06-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I thought that old and stale "joke" was dead and buried long ago when people realized it was no longer funny. Actually, it wasn't funny the first time.It wasn't a "joke". But I will confirm with past threads on how to better convey how a burgeoning player like Alexei could lose his spot back to Uribe.

JorgeFabregas
06-05-2008, 10:34 AM
FWIW (and I'm never sure what to think about defensive statistics), their range factor is nearly identical. Alexei's zone rating is slightly better, but ZR seems like an especially iffy stat.

My thought is that range factor is probably a fair comparison for players on the same team playing the same position in full games. It could be an unfair comparison if one of them was used a late-inning defensive replacement. For instance, BA is often brought in in the ninth. This means that he logs a lot of defensive innings with Bobby pitching. Bobby is a groundball pitcher, so this is a minor drag on BA's RF. Alexei and Uribe have typically both been used as starters so I think it's a fair comparison.

cws05champ
06-05-2008, 11:45 AM
FWIW (and I'm never sure what to think about defensive statistics), their range factor is nearly identical. Alexei's zone rating is slightly better, but ZR seems like an especially iffy stat.

My thought is that range factor is probably a fair comparison for players on the same team playing the same position in full games. It could be an unfair comparison if one of them was used a late-inning defensive replacement. For instance, BA is often brought in in the ninth. This means that he logs a lot of defensive innings with Bobby pitching. Bobby is a groundball pitcher, so this is a minor drag on BA's RF. Alexei and Uribe have typically both been used as starters so I think it's a fair comparison.
I don't care about range factor...I beleive my eyes. Uribe would not have made all those bare handed throws like Ramirez did last night. and his arm looks just as strong if not stronger.

btrain929
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I don't care about range factor...I beleive my eyes. Uribe would not have made all those bare handed throws like Ramirez did last night. and his arm looks just as strong if not stronger.

Agreed. Fat people can run and bend over to pick up something at the same time, plain and simple.

Konerko05
06-05-2008, 11:52 AM
I missed the first three bare-handed plays.

I admit though, as soon as that ball made it past Dotel in extra innings, I totally gave up on it. I immediately sunk into "Sox lose another" mode. I couldn't believe he made that play. Saved the game. Impressive.

WisSoxFan
06-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but did anyone notice Carbera's reaction after Ramirez made that play in the 14th? For a guy who doesn't seem to like to play in Chicago he still certainly likes to win. He was jacked up - as most of us would expect him to be. I enjoy seeing the reaction of teammates on game changing plays.

JorgeFabregas
06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh, I'm not saying that he would have. I'm saying that they're similar, overall, defensively. At least statistically speaking. Considering Uribe was in there for his defense while hitting .170 or whatever, and Alexei's hitting much better and fielding just as well--there's no reason for Uribe to play.

ElevenUp
06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
The way I look at it now, Alexei is not as good a fielder as Juan, but he is not that far off. His offensive production is currently far superior to anything that Uribe has done in the last 2 years. The main problem for this team right now is scoring runs, so it should be a no-brainer that Alexei stays in the lineup.

SoxNation05
06-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Everybody compares him to Soriano but if he plays to his potential I see his stats looking like BJ Upton's. Which is definetly nothing to complain about.

Frankfan4life
06-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Oh, I'm not saying that he would have. I'm saying that they're similar, overall, defensively. At least statistically speaking. Considering Uribe was in there for his defense while hitting .170 or whatever, and Alexei's hitting much better and fielding just as well--there's no reason for Uribe to play.The good news is we have two pretty solid options at second base. But, I would choose Ramirez over Uribe at this point to remain in the starting lineup. He seems to get better the more he plays.

Alexei Yessss!!!!

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Not much to add, just that he seems born to play baseball at the highest level.

Keep doing that way Alexei!!!, We, the people from Pinar del Rio, are very proud of YOU!!!

Alexei´s Fan # 1

EMachine10
06-05-2008, 03:47 PM

Keep doing that way Alexei!!!, We, the people from Pinar del Rio, are very proud of YOU!!!

Alexei´s Fan # 1
:welcome:

October26
06-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Alexei´s Fan # 1

I second the: :welcome: welcome - although I can't remember if I welcomed you before!

Yes, I agree with you. I am also a Cuban-American who is very proud of our players. For me, it has been a dream to see these 4 Cuban White Sox players so far in my lifetime:

- Orestes "Minnie" Minoso
- Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez
- Jose "El Titan de Bronze" Contreras
- and now Alexei "Cuban Missile" Ramirez

As you know, baseball is Cuba's national pastime. I learned to love baseball from my parents and have taught my children everything I know about the game of baseball and to love the White Sox. The Cuban baseball teams are very talented and just recently we have seen an influx of these players come to the United States and be able to play here. Hopefully, we will see many more great players and they will play for our White Sox!

Love Alexei and love Jose! Go White Sox!

ChiSoxFan7
06-05-2008, 06:32 PM
is there any news on him, b/c i know that management and everyone else was really excited about richar's play....what happens if/when he comes back

and i guess this should be asked first....is richar coming back anytime soon?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-05-2008, 06:37 PM
is there any news on him, b/c i know that management and everyone else was really excited about richar's play....what happens if/when he comes back

and i guess this should be asked first....is richar coming back anytime soon?

At this point I will make this analogy:

Alexei Ramirez is to Danny Richar what Carlos Quentin is to Jerry Owens

Meaning that while you were injured we found someone better.

FarWestChicago
06-05-2008, 08:16 PM
For me, it has been a dream to see these 4 Cuban White Sox players so far in my lifetime:

- and now Alexei "Cuban Missile" RamirezAll of these players have been great. But, I will never, ever forget that inning by El Duque. It will forever be etched in my mind as one of the most amazing sports performances I've ever seen. To be dragged from horrid depression to ecstasy like that is something rare. :cool:

Daver
06-05-2008, 09:10 PM
All of these players have been great. But, I will never, ever forget that inning by El Duque. It will forever be etched in my mind as one of the most amazing sports performances I've ever seen. To be dragged from horrid depression to ecstasy like that is something rare. :cool:

Bingo.

That was the best pitching performance I have ever witnessed.

thomas35forever
06-05-2008, 09:13 PM
All of these players have been great. But, I will never, ever forget that inning by El Duque. It will forever be etched in my mind as one of the most amazing sports performances I've ever seen. To be dragged from horrid depression to ecstasy like that is something rare. :cool:
It was something I never thought was possible, and he made it happen. Not only that, it capped off probably the longest inning I've ever watched in baseball. It is one the defining moments of that 2005 team.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-06-2008, 08:15 AM
I second the: :welcome: welcome - although I can't remember if I welcomed you before!

Yes, I agree with you. I am also a Cuban-American who is very proud of our players. For me, it has been a dream to see these 4 Cuban White Sox players so far in my lifetime:

- and now Alexei "Cuban Missile" Ramirez

As you know, baseball is Cuba's national pastime. I learned to love baseball from my parents and have taught my children everything I know about the game of baseball and to love the White Sox. The Cuban baseball teams are very talented and just recently we have seen an influx of these players come to the United States and be able to play here. Hopefully, we will see many more great players and they will play for our White Sox!

Love Alexei and love Jose! Go White Sox!

Many thanks for ur words, I´m only 42 YO, so I didn´t see Minnie play, but my father told me about how great he was.

I still live in Cuba and I know that here had been (and are) many players talented enough to play there. It´s just a real shame how politics can block the sports. I would like to see, for example, Pedro Luis Lazo (240+ wins 2200+ SOs in Cuban Baseball) who beated Dominican Repulic in the World Classic and also a former Contrera´s teamate in Pinar del Rio pitching there. He and many others.

I hope that sooner than later things will change and we will have many more players there.

Thanks again for ur words,

fron havana, cuba,

SAM