PDA

View Full Version : "SouthtownStar" Article on TCQ All-Star Voting

nug0hs
06-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Have at it:
http://www.southtownstar.com/news/985651,060408quentin.article

Great article suggesting a fun new way to urge Francona to select Quentin.

chaotic8512
06-04-2008, 05:25 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101962

I, however, am going to stick with the "stuffing ballot" method. But hey, who says we can't do both? :cool:

It's Dankerific
06-04-2008, 06:03 PM
One Q-tip? You gotta do like the Jericho people. BOXES AND BOXES of Q-tips!!!

I want Mags back
06-04-2008, 09:23 PM
too bad the manager is no longer in charge of reserve selections anyways.

Frankfan4life
06-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Send a Q-tip to Francona??? That is so stupid!!!! However, I did send a dirty white sock to the Mayor of St. Petersburg in 1988. :redface: So, I guess I'll do almost anything for this team. :D:

I have also been putting in write in votes for Q as well. It's easy. You only have to write his name in once and vote 25 times before you have to register again.

Let's get busy White Sox Army!!!

mantis1212
06-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Since when? I've never heard this- so how do they do it now?

nug0hs
06-05-2008, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I've never heard of this either...sources?

I want Mags back
06-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Since when? I've never heard this- so how do they do it now?

Yeah, I've never heard of this either...sources?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mlb_all-star_game#Selection_of_players

Selection of players
As of 2007, the rules call for each team to consist of 32 players (squad size for regulation games is 25 maximum, 24 minimum, until September 1). These players are currently selected through the following process:
Fan voting: Baseball fans vote on the starting position players for the All-Star Game, with ballots distributed at Major League Baseball games before mid-season and, more recently, on the Internet. When the game is played at an American League park, the designated hitter for the AL team is also selected in this manner. This method has been recently criticized because most of the starting players from the American League are from teams that have large fan bases, such as the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox.[1]
Player voting: Pitchers and one back-up player for each position are elected by the players. If the top vote-getter at a position has also been selected via fan voting, the second-place finisher in this category is selected.
Manager selection: The managers of the 30 MLB teams and the Commissioner's Office will fill the roster up to 31 players.
Final vote: After the lists of 31 players for each league is announced, fans will vote for one additional player, chosen from a list of 5 players provided by the manager and the Commissioner's Office.
Replacements: After the roster is selected, the manager and the Commissioner's Office will replace players who are injured or who decline to participate.

History of player selection methods
From 1935 through 1946, the manager of each All-Star squad selected the entire team.
Fans were given the opportunity to vote on the eight starting position players starting in 1947. In 1957, fans of the Cincinnati Reds stuffed the ballot box (see below), and elected a Red to every position except first base. Commissioner Ford Frick stepped in and removed two Reds from the lineup. As a response to this unfairness, fan voting was discontinued. Players, coaches, and managers were given the sole authority to elect starting position players, for the next dozen years.
Between the lack of fan input and over-exposure due to the double All-Star Games during 1959-1962, interest in the game was thought to be waning. As part of the rise of the MLB Promotion Corporation's attempts to modernize marketing of baseball, fan balloting for the starting eight was restored for the 1970 game.
Sometime in the 1960s, the distinction between left-fielder, center-fielder, and right-fielder was dropped, and it was provided that the top 3 vote-getters in the outfield category would start regardless of position. Prior to that the situation included remarks like "If you had Clemente, you couldn't have Aaron", and so on.
Rico Carty was the first player ever selected to an All-Star team as a write-in candidate by fans, in 1970, the first year that voting was given back to the fans. Upon getting elected, he was quoted as saying "Thanks to the fans for making this possible, and thanks to Gillette for making this all necessary."
Steve Garvey was the second player ever selected to an All-Star team as a write-in candidate by fans, in 1974. He was later the MVP of that game.
Until 2003, reserves and pitchers were chosen by the manager. Player voting was re-introduced in 2003 because the managers were criticized for picking players from their own team over more deserving players from other teams.
One continuing controversy of the player selection process is the rule that each team has to have at least one representative on its league's All-Star roster. Opponents of the rule contend that the purpose of the game is to spotlight Major League Baseball's best players, and that some superior players are left off the roster in favor of possibly less deserving players from weaker teams. This argument is strengthened by the greater urgency of winning the game, due to the rule that the winning league attains home field in the World Series. Supporters of the rule point out that this rule spreads interest in the game, and prevents large-market teams from totally dominating the squad and possibly resulting in, for example, an All-Star Game consisting solely of Yankees and Red Sox playing a team consisting solely of Dodgers and Cubs.
A number of compromises have been suggested in the media, such as limiting the number of representatives a particular team could have, requiring only that a certain percentage of teams be represented, or expanding the size of the All-Star rosters to mitigate the issue. However, Major League Baseball has not indicated that it is considering altering or eliminating the rule in any form.

Frankfan4life
06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mlb_all-star_game#Selection_of_players
That was extremlely interesting. Thanks for the info IWM. I guess Francona's going to have to buy his own Q-tips. I'm definitely not going to send Q-tips to 29 managers and the Commissioner's Office!!! :o:

Chances are if the write-in effort fails (and it probably will, but not because I didn't try) then it's likely that Q will be selected by the managers and the commish to be voted in as an additional player. Then the real voting will begin!!!

I want Mags back
06-05-2008, 09:22 PM
I reallty dont think we have anything to worry about. TCQ will make the ASG and will be the Derby, IMO.