PDA

View Full Version : Job-session

Konerkoholic
06-04-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm not a naive person so it doesn't surprise me when I see Yankees or Red Sox stories all over ESPN's shows and websites, but I'll be damned if I'm not hearing about Joba Chamberlain EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I didn't pay much attention to baseball last year, so I wasn't prepared to worship the next coming of Jesus in pinstripes. Seriously, can someone tell me why this guy gets so much press, even for a Yank? Has he been THAT exceptional? It's not like he's won a World Series in his first few months like K-Rod or Bobby did. Enlighten me, my friends. :scratch:

pierzynski07
06-04-2008, 01:21 AM
I didn't pay much attention to baseball last year

There's your problem. He's a 2006 draft pick with a pretty damn good 07 in the minors, plus an outstanding callup to end the season. Of course, then there was the infamous "bug game" where he finally fell apart.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-04-2008, 03:24 AM
I found it funny how David Ortiz recieved so much attention because of his 3-week hand injury, while I read that Twins pitcher Nick Blackburn got hit in the face by a hit ball on ESPN's teletype.

pmck003
06-04-2008, 04:05 AM
I haven't had cable for close to a year now - I still see a significant amount of tv while Im out and I read espn.com among others, but I have no idea how you would pronounce Joba. Jo-Ba? Youba? I've talked almost zero with anyone about the Yankees this year besides for that they stink. Guess I never watched Joba pitch last year.

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 04:52 AM
I haven't had cable for close to a year now - I still see a significant amount of tv while Im out and I read espn.com among others, but I have no idea how you would pronounce Joba. Jo-Ba? Youba? I've talked almost zero with anyone about the Yankees this year besides for that they stink. Guess I never watched Joba pitch last year.

Jabba the Chamberlain

kraut83
06-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Joba seems to have pretty good stuff, but I've never seen an 8th inning set up man get so much airtime. :dunno:

moochpuppy
06-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I found it funny how David Ortiz recieved so much attention because of his 3-week hand injury, while I read that Twins pitcher Nick Blackburn got hit in the face by a hit ball on ESPN's teletype.

Or Chris Young from the Padres who got hit by a line-drive by Albert Pujols which broke his nose and he also may have a crack in his skull as well.

CashMan
06-04-2008, 09:45 AM
There's your problem. He's a 2006 draft pick with a pretty damn good 07 in the minors, plus an outstanding callup to end the season. Of course, then there was the infamous "bug game" where he finally fell apart.

Sounds a little like Mark Prior.

southside rocks
06-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Sounds a little like Mark Prior.

Yes -- but in a Yankees uniform.

Even XM kept interrupting programs last night to update us on Joba's performance in the FIRST INNING of his FIRST START. It really did seem like over-kill to me.

I will always love it that Joe Crede handed Joba Chamberlain his first major-league loss. :tongue:

Oblong
06-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Did Zumaya get as much press in 2006?

I'm sick of the Joba-watch too. ESPN/ABC/Disney is turning the Red Sox/Yankee stuff into reality TV. A soap opera.

palehozenychicty
06-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Did Zumaya get as much press in 2006?

I'm sick of the Joba-watch too. ESPN/ABC/Disney is turning the Red Sox/Yankee stuff into reality TV. A soap opera.

Nah. The Yanks screwed this up royally. They're giving him a ST in June! :o:
All they had to do was dump Mussina to some NL team, and he could have worked on his pitches in the spring, THEN you are in the rotation. You cannot get major league hitters out with two pitches for 7+ innings!

Has there been an update on Zumaya's status? Not that I'm dying to see his return....:D:

PatK
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
He's going to need to be more than a two pitch pitcher if they expect him to do well as a starter.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I will always love it that Joe Crede handed Joba Chamberlain his first major-league loss. :tongue:

Look at my sig. I was there! Finally I have something to tell my grandkids about. :geezer:

areilly
06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Joba seems to have pretty good stuff, but I've never seen an 8th inning set up man get so much airtime. :dunno:

Internet/XM/whatnot wasn't as big yet, but I remember a lot of buzz over the emergence of a young Mariano Rivera as setup man to John Wetteland in the mid-1990s.

Oblong
06-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Has there been an update on Zumaya's status? Not that I'm dying to see his return....:D:

Funny you ask! Last night he formally began his rehab stint, meaning he has 30 days to make the big league club. Pitched 2 innings, 24 pitches, 18 for strikes. 1 walk and 1 hit, a shattered bat double. The stadium radar gun said 101 but the locals in Lakeland said it was probably in the high 90s.

doublem23
06-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Funny you ask! Last night he formally began his rehab stint, meaning he has 30 days to make the big league club. Pitched 2 innings, 24 pitches, 18 for strikes. 1 walk and 1 hit, a shattered bat double. The stadium radar gun said 101 but the locals in Lakeland said it was probably in the high 90s.

Damn it.

Uncle_Patrick
06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080603

I got a laugh out of this.

palehozenychicty
06-04-2008, 02:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080603

I got a laugh out of this.

That is funny.

doublem23
06-04-2008, 03:17 PM
1/2 Native American, 1/2 Awesome

:rolling:

soxpride724
06-04-2008, 04:16 PM
It would be pretty funny with all this hype if he turned out to be a bust.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
It would be pretty funny with all this hype if he turned out to be a bust.

No kidding! Anyone here remember Kevin Maas?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/ChadFinn/5e70b941.jpg