PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Offensive Efficiency Sox 9 KC 5 Postgame Joy Thread

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Nine runs on 11 hits.

Quentin and Ramirez both look great. Two stars on the rise.

Discuss.

Cuck the Fubs
06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Nine runs on 11 hits.

Quentin and Ramirez both look great. Two stars on the rise.

Discuss.

We even had a Swisher sighting tonight..........now let's roll over these guys tomorrow!:bandance:

gobears1987
06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
We got them on and we got them in. Floyd faltered tonight and the offense picked him up.

Evman5
Big Win. Thome and Konerko still have to step up. Let's hope the O's hang on.

thomas35forever
If things go as they are in progress, we'll be back to a game-and-a-half lead. Good night to be a Sox fan.:D:

HomeFish
It's amazing that Alexei got his average up into the .260's, given how horrible he started the year.

ElDuque26
with the exception of Swish's bomb, the three struggling bats were a whopping 1-11 w/ a walk...good to see AJ put one out...about 40 days since his last one...BIG WIN..alexi lead off?

doublem23
<typical WSI postgame comment>We gave up 5 runs to the Royals? The pitching is collapsing!</comment>

BadBobbyJenks
06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
I posted this in the game thread, but it is worth noting.

Alexei was hitting .146 may 12th and then began playing every day.
He is now hitting .275 on June 3rd.

This kid is no longer looking lost trying to hit the breaking ball. Another home run off a curve tonight.

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2008, 09:48 PM
We got them on and we got them in. Floyd faltered tonight and the offense picked him up.

He was victimized by bad defense in the third inning. After that, he was pitching with a nice lead and just focused on throwing strikes. Sometimes you'll give up a few hits in those situations. Otherwise he got ground balls when he needed them and didn't walk anyone. It wasn't his best performance, but I think he earned a "B" grade - and more importantly a "W" tonight.

Frankfan4life
06-03-2008, 09:48 PM
It's good to see the offense come alive. The question is, will they do it again tomorrow???

Bucky F. Dent
06-03-2008, 09:49 PM
We need another eight game streak....This was a heck of a start.

oeo
06-03-2008, 09:49 PM

Giving up 4 runs after your offense spots you a big lead isn't faltering. If he put the Sox in an early hole or let the Royals back into the game (it was never closer than 4 runs), that would be faltering.

That's the good thing about actually getting offensive support...you don't have to be so perfect.

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I posted this in the game thread, but it is worth noting.

Alexei was hitting .146 may 12th and then began playing every day.
He is now hitting .275 on June 3rd.

This kid is no longer looking lost trying to hit the breaking ball. Another home run off a curve tonight.

He's earning the second base job. It's becoming so obvious that if Ozzie benches him to play Uribe, then Ozzie deserves to be canned.

soxwon
06-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Thank You Thank You, for believing my prediction of sox scoring 6 runs and winning big.

Evman5
06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
He was victimized by bad defense in the third inning. After that, he was pitching with a nice lead and just focused on throwing strikes. Sometimes you'll give up a few hits in those situations. Otherwise he got ground balls when he needed them and didn't walk anyone. It wasn't his best performance, but I think he earned a "B" grade - and more importantly a "W" tonight.

Agreed. Not his best start, but he gave us a solid effort.

HomeFish
RISP for Delmon Young in Minnesota. Come on Baltimore.

kevingrt
The world is back on it's normal rotation. Thank you CQ, Ramriez, AJ P, Bobby, and Co.

oeo
06-03-2008, 09:52 PM
He's earning the second base job. It's becoming so obvious that if Ozzie benches him to play Uribe, then Ozzie deserves to be canned.

What's funny is Ozzie 'deserved to be canned' for letting Ramirez on the big league club. He's not ready, and supposed to be in Charlotte, remember?

If anyone believes in Alexei Ramirez, it's not White Sox fans, it's Ozzie Guillen.

It's Dankerific
06-03-2008, 09:54 PM
What's funny is Ozzie 'deserved to be canned' for letting Ramirez on the big league club. He's not ready, and supposed to be in Charlotte, remember?

If anyone believes in Alexei Ramirez, it's not White Sox fans, it's Ozzie Guillen.

Gotta give the OZ that.. for sure.

Frater Perdurabo

You're being snarky. :rolleyes:

Yes, I thought he belonged in Charlotte to start the year. (I never said that putting him on the roster out of Spring Training merited an Ozzie firing, though.) But I'm very happy that he's proving me wrong. :D:

GlassSox
Good to see a win and Alexei is doing a very good job.

gobears1987
06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
You are right. It's just that Floyd's pitching has led me to expect more of him.

Madvora
06-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Check out the postgame headline at sportline.com
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20080603_KC@CHW

The reason the changes needed to be made are still there.
"Bats Wake Up" Well we still have Konkero and Thome at 0-3 and 0-4.

The guys who were hitting continue to hit.

oeo
You're being snarky. :rolleyes:

No I'm not. After the first game of the season, I thought he should be in Charlotte too.

I'm just pointing out that your comment has no reason to it. Ozzie thought this guy could play from day one, or else he wouldn't have been starting in CF. It's his job to lose at this point.

October26
So nice to see the Sox playing well at home. :bandance: Winning is fun!

Nice game for:

Ramirez
Quentin
Swish
Floyd
And thanks to TDOG for reminding me about AJ (two hits and a homer!):bandance:
And thanks to TDOG for reminding me that Cabrera had twice as many RBI as Swisher and as many as Ramirez, Pierzynski and Quentin. But, really, it was a team win.:bandance:Let's keep it going tomorrow.

JB98
06-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Good job by Floyd to throw strikes when given a big lead. As long as you don't walk people, the chances of blowing a 6-0 lead are quite slim. It wasn't his greatest outing statistically, but it was satisfactory with me.

Top third of the order and bottom third of the order swung the bats well tonight.

Daver
06-03-2008, 09:58 PM

You're wrong.

TDog
06-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Nice to see that the Sox hit two two-run homers and got a two-run single in the first two innings against a pitcher who came into the game with an ERA of 2.88. In all they hit four home runs against a pitcher who a few hours ago had an ERA under 3.

I'm sure there are complaints about the Sox not scoring after two on and none out in the fifth or even after two on and one out in the eighth, even though they scored a run before the doubleplay ended the inning. I'm sure there are complaints about the solo home runs for some incredible reason.

But I'm happy tonight.

TDog
06-03-2008, 10:00 PM
So nice to see the Sox playing well at home. :bandance: Winning is fun!

Nice game for:

Ramirez
Quentin
Swish
FloydLet's keep it going tomorrow.

Maybe tomorrow Pierzynski will live up to your standards as Swisher did tonight.

oeo
You're wrong.

For once, do you want to explain? It's these short statements from you all the time. How am I wrong? :?:

Ozzie named him to the 25-man roster. Ozzie started him in CF on Opening Day. Ozzie was flamed for both.

I understand you dislike him, but he's not wrong all the time. Even when he's right, he's wrong according to Daver. :scratch:

chisoxlove

Agreed, sir. Get some production in those spots, and this offense will flourish. Even avg. and obp would work -- we have enough power in the rest of the lineup.

Frater Perdurabo
Given the upcoming opponents, and provided that the offense keeps up the good work, I think the Sox could go on a run, perhaps winning 12 of the next 15 games. Until the Cubs series, the only upcoming opponent with a winning record is the Twins, but those four games are at the Cell, not in the Garbage Dome.

Madvora
06-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Agreed, sir. Get some production in those spots, and this offense will flourish. Even avg. and obp would work -- we have enough power in the rest of the lineup.
Hey you need to raise that post count!

SoxGirl4Life
06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Maybe tomorrow Pierzynski will live up to your standards as Swisher did tonight.

lol.. poor AJ

Daver
06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
For once, do you want to explain? It's these short statements from you all the time. How am I wrong? :?:

Ozzie named him to the 25-man roster. Ozzie started him in CF on Opening Day. Ozzie was flamed for both.

I understand you dislike him, but he's not wrong all the time. Even when he's right, he's wrong according to Daver. :scratch:

I wanted Ramirez on the roster, just not in center, from day one. I am on record for saying they should cut Uribe loose and let Ramirez have that job.

oeo
06-03-2008, 10:05 PM
I wanted Ramirez on the roster, just not in center, from day one. I am on record for saying they should cut Uribe loose and let Ramirez have that job.

So this is just an opportunity to show the world that you're a genius, or what?

Sorry, I'll change it for you:
If anyone believes in Alexei Ramirez, it's not White Sox fans, it's Ozzie Guillen and Daver.

doublem23
06-03-2008, 10:07 PM
:twinslose

Orioles 5, Twins 3 - Final

jabrch
06-03-2008, 10:08 PM

He gave up 2 ER on 6H and 0BB in 7IP. How is that faltering?

Daver
06-03-2008, 10:09 PM

6 Hits, that's terrible.

BadBobbyJenks
06-03-2008, 10:09 PM

It is a post game thread. There has to be something to nit pick.

Rocky Soprano
06-03-2008, 10:10 PM

:D:

Hey I LOVED the Quentin trade when it happened. Can I have some kudos too?

gobears1987
06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
It was supposed to be tongue in cheek because I posted something in the game thread along the lines of I expected a no hitter or bust.

In all honesty he looked really good except for that one pitch to Teahen. He had six hits too many though for the expectations he built up. I wanted him to flirt with and then finally get a no-no.

jabrch
6 Hits, that's terrible.

Fire Coop! Fire Guillen! Fire Walker! Floyd gave up 6 hits.

Bill Naharodny
So this is just an opportunity to show the world that you're a genius, or what?

Sorry, I'll change it for you:
If anyone believes in Alexei Ramirez, it's not White Sox fans, it's Ozzie Guillen and Daver.

Maybe his point is that Ozzie doesn't really believe in Ramirez, or he would've started him over Uribe. But that's really more about Ozzie's belief in Uribe, not lack of belief in Ramirez. Okay, I'm officially done speculating.

jabrch
06-03-2008, 10:13 PM
It was supposed to be tongue in cheek because I posted something in the game thread along the lines of I expected a no hitter or bust.

OK - I didn't see the game thread.

BadBobbyJenks
06-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Fire Coop! Fire Guillen! Fire Walker! Floyd gave up 6 hits.

Whips under 1! Unacceptable!

October26
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM

Ugh - how could I forget about AJ and his homer and two hits tonite. :redface: Must be my middle-aged brain failing me again! I have gone back and dutifully updated my post. Thanks TDog!

PS-> Did I forget anybody else? :wink:

TDog
06-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Maybe his point is that Ozzie doesn't really believe in Ramirez, or he would've started him over Uribe. But that's really more about Ozzie's belief in Uribe, not lack of belief in Ramirez. Okay, I'm officially done speculating.

On opening day, Guillen technically started Ramirez over Quentin. Swisher started in left and Uribe was at second. The difference in the current lineup is Quentin is playing and Uribe is not.

voodoochile
06-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Whips under 1! Unacceptable!

Just to be picky, that's hips under 1.

His Whip was actually 1.14 for the game...

Edit: Oh and...

:winner

:twinslose:

:supernana:

:)

Vernam
06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
What does this have to do with Joba Chamberlain?! :?:

Nice to see our lead float to the correct (as in left) side of the decimal point. Floyd pitched well enough to win. TCQ hit homers on back-to-back pitches at the Cell (nine days apart), and Ramirez is looking like he's for real. One of the three main sleepwalkers showed some life. The other two showed . . . well, I won't go there.

Vernam

BadBobbyJenks
06-03-2008, 10:19 PM

His whip is .86. He did not walk anyone.

jabrch
06-03-2008, 10:20 PM

and WIPs of 0...

Daver

Bingo.

TDog
Ugh - how could I forget about AJ and his homer and two hits tonite. :redface: Must be my middle-aged brain failing me again! I have gone back and dutifully updated my post. Thanks TDog!

PS-> Did I forget anybody else? :wink:

Cabrera had twice as many RBI as Swisher and as many as Ramirez, Pierzynski and Quentin. But, really, it was a team win.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2008, 10:22 PM
A nice game all around. Folks have mentioned that Konerko and Thome were 0-7, how did they look?

Was it a lost 0-7 or was it that they were making contact, just didn't get any hits?

Lip

oeo
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Bingo.

Things seemed to have worked out fine with Ozzie's plan. Whether it was Uribe or Ramirez, we weren't getting a lot from either the first month and a half of the season (besides better defense from Uribe).

Ozzie knows his team, and IMO, did things right with Ramirez.

voodoochile
His whip is .86. He did not walk anyone.

Whoops, I crossed wires on the runs and walks... my bad and of course...

nevermind...

Stringer
Good, we won. Thats what we're suppose to do against crappy teams.

We're 1/3 of the way to what are goal for this series should be.

Lets get at them again tomorrow!

voodoochile
06-03-2008, 10:24 PM
A nice game all around. Folks have mentioned that Konerko and Thome were 0-7, how did they look?

Was it a lost 0-7 or was it that they were making contact, just didn't get any hits?

Lip

Thome missed a bomb in the first inning after Konerko walked by about 5 feet to LCF.

Dye followed that up by missing a bomb to RF by the same 5 feet. Had some well hit balls, but not quite hit well enough...

BadBobbyJenks
06-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Whoops, I crossed wires on the runs and walks... my bad and of course...

nevermind...

No worries, you had me looking at the pitching line wondering what I was missing.

itsnotrequired
06-03-2008, 10:26 PM
What's the deal with the chicken tenders this year? They don't come in a box bot rather a big cup cut at a jaunty angle. And they give you a fork (:?:). Also, the honey mustard is no longer in a nice, plastic cup but rather a bag of Newman's Own. Still good but cumbersome and pompous.

Sig update time...

DickAllen72
06-03-2008, 10:27 PM

Sox won tonight despite Thome and Konerko who still are not pulling their weight let alone hitting their weight.

Good game by Ramirez and Quentin again. Great game by AJ!

Vernam
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
A nice game all around. Folks have mentioned that Konerko and Thome were 0-7, how did they look?Has a winning post-game thread ever been Roadhoused? :redneck

Konerko hit into a DP but looked relatively clueful compared to his May at-bats. He did not K. Thome jacked a flyout to deep left center and K'ed twice.

Very diplomatically stated, if I do say so myself.

Vernam

btrain929
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Homefish, no update when the Twins actually lose to go along with your updates when they were threatening?

Shocking.

Alexei and TCQ keep amazing me game after game.

1 thing I would like to remind everyone is that Gavin Floyd is our #5 starter. At the beginning of the year, a lot of people didn't think he'd last past the All-Star break. So when people say he didn't look good tonight or other nights (6ips, 3-4 runs for example) or something of that sort, keep the above in mind. What he is doing for us is outstanding for a #5 pitcher, in the AL, at this point of his career. He gets MAJOR kudos from me, and I hope he can keep up this consistency all the way thru October.

itsnotrequired
06-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Has a winning post-game thread ever been Roadhoused? :redneck

Several times.

Tragg
06-03-2008, 10:33 PM

If anyone believes in Alexei Ramirez, it's not White Sox fans, it's Ozzie Guillen.Now for the rest of the story. Ozzie believed in him over Carlos Quentin, but not over Uribe.
Nobody would have said much of anything had he started over Uribe...in fact many wanted Uribe off the team at the beginning of the year.

Chicken Dinner
06-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Lip

I really think they could light it up if they would just slooooow there swing down. They both have the power to jack the ball out at the Cell, but they swing like they're trying to hit it over the scoreboard.

MCHSoxFan
06-03-2008, 10:42 PM
You guys are just killing me. I was at the game. I FELT great. Now, the Sox got 9 runs and all I read is Floyd was trash. WOW!!! :mad:

TheOldRoman
06-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Now for the rest of the story. Ozzie believed in him over Carlos Quentin, but not over Uribe.:rolleyes: Right on cue. Now tell us how Ozzie is so clueless, it is an "accident" Quentin is succeeding because Ozzie didn't want him on the team, Owens would have made it over Quentin, slap-hitting speedster, etc...

Hitmen77
06-03-2008, 11:21 PM
What does this have to do with Joba Chamberlain?! :?:

Nice to see our lead float to the correct (as in left) side of the decimal point. Floyd pitched well enough to win. TCQ hit homers on back-to-back pitches at the Cell (nine days apart), and Ramirez is looking like he's for real. One of the three main sleepwalkers showed some life. The other two showed . . . well, I won't go there.

Vernam

I know he was only 1 for 4 tonight, but I really hope that HR by Swisher begins to break him out of his slump.:praying:

On the bright side, a week or two ago the Sox had FIVE guys in the lineup hovering at .200 (Konerko, Thome, Swisher, OC, Uribe) :o:. Now Cabrera has broken out of his slump and Ramirez (replacing Uribe in the lineup) is really catching fire.

I would love all 3 of these remaining slumpers to return to the land of the living, but I'm desperately looking for signs of life anywhere among the three.

jabrch
06-03-2008, 11:36 PM
You guys are just killing me. I was at the game. I FELT great. Now, the Sox got 9 runs and all I read is Floyd was trash. WOW!!! :mad:

Just another win at WSI...never good enough

ChiTownTrojan
06-03-2008, 11:40 PM
I really think they could light it up if they would just slooooow there swing down. They both have the power to jack the ball out at the Cell, but they swing like they're trying to hit it over the scoreboard.
My question is, should Ozzie leave them in the middle of the order? Dropping them down might take some pressure off them at a less critical part of the order, but on the other hand it could add pressure by indicating that the team doesn't have faith in them. I still think that if Konerko's hand is bothering him at all then he's better off on the DL than continuing to aggravate it by playing.

ChiTownTrojan
06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
What would cutting Uribe accomplish? At the least he can back up SS and 2B and be able to play solid defense at both positions. He can also be a defensive replacement at 2B late in games. Sure, we're over-paying him for a utility role, but I don't see how we would be better off by cutting him.

I think it's pretty clear who Ozzie believes his starting second baseman is.

chisoxfanatic
06-03-2008, 11:50 PM
It's nice to finally see this team put together some sort of an offensive attack. Nice going, AJ, TCQ, and Ramirez! Finally the pitching doesn't have to do it all!

TomBradley72
06-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm very proud of Alexei. You think about what he's been through as a human being..escaping Cuba, signing an MLB contract..immediately being emersed in major league level baseball with a contending team in a mojor market...being asked to play a new positon, 2nd base. He hung in there and week by week he gets a little better. And he seems to truly love playing the game.

KW...29 other teams didn't think he was worth a contract. You did. :gulp:

KnightSox
06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm very proud of Alexei. You think about what he's been through as a human being..escaping Cuba, signing an MLB contract..immediately being emersed in major league level baseball with a contending team in a mojor market...being asked to play a new positon, 2nd base. He hung in there and week by week he gets a little better. And he seems to truly love playing the game.

KW...29 other teams didn't think he was worth a contract. You did. :gulp:I second that, he looked great battling at the plate tonight.

Chrisaway
06-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Wonder if this helped them out???

Mod edit: Picture removed; don't do it again.

It's Time
06-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Nice to win a game where the OFFENSE is the reason. Nice job tonight, boys.

It's Time
06-04-2008, 12:49 AM
I fully expect a sweep of the Royals.

Jerome
06-04-2008, 01:01 AM
yay offense
looks like the sox players finally started reading WSI and are listening to us

Mohoney
06-04-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm very proud of Alexei.

Yeah, it's really a testament to his talent how he has been able to adjust so quickly, especially given the fact that he didn't get very many at-bats until Uribe hurt himself.

RockJock07
06-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Just another win at WSI...never good enough

No, not when your two "best" hitters are hitting .200. However, I think Gavin has made massive amounts of progress since last year, he really seems like he is dialed in right now.

I think it's safe to say, goodbye Juan.

Railsplitter
06-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Even if it's against the Royals, its a win. :bandance:

turners56
06-04-2008, 07:15 AM
I had lost all hope for Swisher and his power, but last night's bomb has me thinking otherwise. Hopefully, this is the end to his extreme sucking.

What do you know? A.J. hit Zack Greinke hard. Greinke himself tried to hit A.J. in his first at bat (or he buzzed him with a couple of high pitches), but A.J. was the one laughing at the end of the night. Rhonda Moss must feel real good right now!

The fact our offense scored 8 runs off a pitcher with a 2.5 ERA is promising, but then again, we only produced 3 of our 9 runs. Relying on the homer isn't going to always work like they did last night. And Alexei Ramirez, OMG, this guy is looking like the guy some scouts said he could be, Alfonso Soriano vol. 2.

jabrch
06-04-2008, 07:19 AM
The fact our offense scored 8 runs off a pitcher with a 2.5 ERA is promising, but then again, we only produced 3 of our 9 runs. Relying on the homer isn't going to always work like they did last night.

***?

HRs are producing runs. And as the weather gets warmer, there will be more of them.

oeo
06-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Now for the rest of the story. Ozzie believed in him over Carlos Quentin, but not over Uribe.

Actually, if you look back, there were only a select few that wanted Quentin playing. It was all about Brian Anderson.

Nobody would have said much of anything had he started over Uribe...in fact many wanted Uribe off the team at the beginning of the year.:lol:

Then why just a week ago were people ready for Uribe to come back? Don't you remember...Ramirez cannot hit, he plays terrible defense, etc., etc. The guy can't do anything. This was talk from people just one week ago. Do you even remember what it was like after those first two games? Ramirez was a Single A talent at best. 2B or CF, it wouldn't have mattered.

whitesox901
06-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Great win out there last night boys:thumbsup:

Carolina Kenny
06-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Actually, if you look back, there were only a select few that wanted Quentin playing. It was all about Brian Anderson.

:lol:

Then why just a week ago were people ready for Uribe to come back? Don't you remember...Ramirez cannot hit, he plays terrible defense, etc., etc. The guy can't do anything. This was talk from people just one week ago. Do you even remember what it was like after those first two games? Ramirez was a Single A talent at best. 2B or CF, it wouldn't have mattered.

I have always believed in Alexi since seeing him in Spring Training.
Ozzie has his faults, but I trust him when he evaluates middle infielders.

BRDSR
06-04-2008, 08:01 AM
***?

HRs are producing runs. And as the weather gets warmer, there will be more of them.

You haven't heard? In an ingenious ploy to get his players back to the fundamentals, Ozzie Guillen has decided that the White Sox will not accept any runs scored on the home run. It started last night. The Sox lost 5-3. Still have a .5 game lead though!

MsSoxVixen22
06-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Now that's the White Sox I know and love! TCQ gets it started once again. I really like Ramirez. If he keeps this up, Uribe won't have a place on this team anymore. And that's not exactly a bad thing! And Swish! :bandance:Hopefully he "found his eye" and will start hitting now. Thome and PK stilll need to get their **** together. Go get 'em tonight Danks!

aryzner
06-04-2008, 08:27 AM
I love waking up in the morning to find that every other team in the division lost.

Hitmen77
06-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Everyone else in the AL Central lost yesterday. Always good when you can increase your lead on everyone.

jabrch
06-04-2008, 08:35 AM

I'm not sure if I do or don't - but I certainly believe that he and the staff have a better chance of making the right call than WSI posters.

That said - it is possible that this is the lesser of two evils. It is possible that, in an ideal world, Alexi would be in Charlotte working on being ready to play every day and Uribe would be...elsewhere. It is possible that, in an ideal world, Richar would be here, healthy. Or that Aaron Miles would still be here, or Ray Durham...whatever...

But at this point we have two choices - Uribe or Ramirez. Guillen will, as he usually does, play the hot hand. Hopefully Alexi stays hot for a while. He'd be a nice piece to the puzzle next year if he could hit .275+ get on base a bit more, and hit a dozen or so HRs at a fairly low cost.

Either way - no sense in handwringing now about it - lets sit back and enjoy the STILL first place White Sox. It is going to be a long season of ups and downs. We probably don't run this thing all the way to the end in first - so let's let managmeent do what they do, and let's be fans and enjoy what is a pretty damn good baseball team - middle of the pack in runs scored and top of the heap in terms of runs allowed. It's a good formula.

AnkleSox
06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Since the AJ walkoff against the Dodgers in '05, I have attended an uncanny 25 straight White Sox winners! :bandance:

doublem23
06-04-2008, 08:46 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_493351.jpg
Guys, I appreciate you getting my back, but will you please learn how to spell my first name?

chisoxfanatic
06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Since the AJ walkoff against the Dodgers in '05, I have attended an uncanny 25 straight White Sox winners! :bandance:
You're not going to enough Sox games then.

palehozenychicty
06-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Good win all around. It's progress that Thome or Konerko didn't whiff six times either, drawing the collar. Now we need another week of them to shut up the Cubune and Cub-Times.

btrain929
06-04-2008, 09:05 AM

*Cough* Uribe? *Cough*

TomBradley72
06-04-2008, 09:06 AM

So you're going tonight, right?

btrain929
06-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Guys, I appreciate you getting my back, but will you please learn how to spell my first name?

Amen.

kittle42
06-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Good win all around. It's progress that Thome or Konerko didn't whiff six times either, drawing the collar. Now we need another week of them to shut up the Cubune and Cub-Times.

And then we shall lay claim to the Newspaper Championship, which is currently displayed right next to the Attendance Championship.

infohawk
06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I didn't get to see the game because it was on the "U," but it does seem that Gavin has become good enough to be effective when he doesn't have his best stuff. To me, that's the biggest part of a young pitcher's development.

Hitmen77
06-04-2008, 09:52 AM

What is the correct pronunciation of his name? Is it Alex-E or Alex-AY? I'm guessing the latter is the proper way to say his name.

jabrch
06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I didn't get to see the game because it was on the "U," but it does seem that Gavin has become good enough to be effective when he doesn't have his best stuff. To me, that's the biggest part of a young pitcher's development.

No walks...that's some damn good stuff. As Frater said, he had a huge lead and started to pitch to contact a bit more - daring the Royals to beat him with their bats. They didn't.

2 ER, 6 hits, 0 walks. That's a nice 7 inning outing from your 5th starter. We will win a lot of games if Gavin continues like that.

Cuck the Fubs
06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
And then we shall lay claim to the Newspaper Championship, which is currently displayed right next to the Attendance Championship.

That is some funny ****!

Tragg
06-04-2008, 10:05 AM

:lol:

Well, I take your word on that, but I can assure you that you never heard me clammoring for Uribe as a 2B. My point isn't about the posters - I know we're amateurs.
My point is that the professionals had him ahead of Carlos Quentin, but behind Uribe. That's some mighty professional talent evaluation.
My amateur evaluation is that he should play SS...eventually. He and Richar could be a nice duo for several years.

AnkleSox
06-04-2008, 10:18 AM
You're not going to enough Sox games then.

Tell me about it. Unfortunately with work, being out of town, and financial restrictions I can't go nearly as often as I'd like. I'm done with my current job at the end of June though, so I expect this summer to be filled with beer, hot dogs, and White Sox winners :gulp:

balke
06-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Just to mix up the pot a bit...

Can we not wet ourselves over beating KC? Its nice to see the Sox score some runs, but let's be honest about what really happened here. The Sox (1st place) beat up the Royals (last place).

Sox overall are doing fine, don't get me wrong. But, let's not say the offense is clicking until it does so for a string of games.

cws05champ
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I really think Alexei needs to re-take his picture...he looks like he had to take a dump and they pulled him in to take his picture instead.

Konerkoholic
06-04-2008, 10:43 AM
People smile when they need to take a dump?

hi im skot
06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Am I crazy or did it look like someone other than Harold coaching 1st base last night?

ike from nj
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Can we not wet ourselves over beating KC? Its nice to see the Sox score some runs, but let's be honest about what really happened here. The Sox (1st place) beat up the Royals (last place).

Sox overall are doing fine, don't get me wrong. But, let's not say the offense is clicking until it does so for a string of games.

the sox need to wake up and start platooning konerko and thome at dh. this will open up some time for anderson in cf moving swisher to first. this strengthens the defense and gives them a bit more speed. you can still play konerko at first some days especially when you want to rest swisher.

thome and konerko together are killing the sox right now.

palehozenychicty
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Funny.

:rolling:

johnnyg83
06-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Any idea how Ramirez got credit for a double in the 2nd when it was booted off Pena's foot and secondly how Floyd didn't have either run charged against him in the 2nd?

I could see the first not being charged, but the second?

And Crede in the first not getting an error?

Was it hometown scoring?

TommyGavinFloyd
06-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Am I crazy or did it look like someone other than Harold coaching 1st base last night?

harold was at his kid's graduation, it was Daryl Boston coaching first

downstairs
06-04-2008, 12:01 PM
harold was at his kid's graduation, it was Daryl Boston coaching first

Since when does Daryl Boston work for the Sox? I must have missed a press release?

itsnotrequired
06-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Since when does Daryl Boston work for the Sox? I must have missed a press release?

He is an outfield instructor in the minor league system and his been with the organization for years.

ike from nj
06-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Any idea how Ramirez got credit for a double in the 2nd when it was booted off Pena's foot and secondly how Floyd didn't have either run charged against him in the 2nd?

I could see the first not being charged, but the second?

And Crede in the first not getting an error?

Was it hometown scoring?

the leadoff man reached on an error so that run enearned and therefore on the double play ground ball, a throw to first would have retired the side.

AnkleSox
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM

They did pound Greinke who had a 2.88 era before entering the game though.

turners56
06-04-2008, 01:08 PM
***?

Producing as in scoring runs without the benefit of a home run. Hell, we hit 0 home runs against the Rays in the last 3 games of that series, look what happened! When you face good teams with good pitching, home runs are going to be rare. This Sox teams lacks the ability to produce runs off of hits other than the home run. It was great to see OC and Alexei come through yesterday with singles in the hole. That's what this team lacks, home runs alone will not make this offense successful.

TDog
06-04-2008, 01:21 PM

Greinke, formerly of the 2.88 ERA, who had been pitching very well, looked on paper like he would be tough on the Sox offense, at least to the fans who didn't see the offense in the last three games against the Rays. The Sox hit four home runs against someone who had allowed less than three earned runs every nine innings, and only half of them were solo home runs, coming with the White Sox in control of the game. He had held Texas to two solo home runs and two singles (no walks) in seven innings for one of only two losses on the season. He made the Rangers offense look like the White Sox offense they so love to shake their fists at. People around here were scared of Greinke.

Pierzynski wasn't afraid of Greinke. Ramirez wasn't afraid of Greinke. And on a team that couldn't score a runner from third with less than two outs oover the weekend, Cabrera had a single through the drawn-in-in infield to score two runs. People here obsess over the later missed opportunity, but it was a pretty good offensive game against a pitcher who suddenly has an ERA of 3.56.

russ99
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM

KW...29 other teams didn't think he was worth a contract. You did. :gulp:

Actually there were other teams interested in Alexei, but as I recall, the Sox blew them away with their offer. Also, doesn't someone on the Sox have ties to Alexei's agent?

Man, last night it really looked like Alexei has really arrived. That at-bat where he fouled off 6-7 straight pitches (most of them breaking balls) and finally got a single was like 5 times more impressive than his homer.

balke
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM

Too bad Grienke is one of the most up and down pitchers I can think of. He also has a career 6.25 ERA in June.

jabrch
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Producing as in scoring runs without the benefit of a home run. Hell, we hit 0 home runs against the Rays in the last 3 games of that series, look what happened! When you face good teams with good pitching, home runs are going to be rare.

So are hits...so are runs... but against a good pitcher you are more likely to score 3 runs with a HR than to do it by stacking up 5+ hit innings.

Either way, this offense IS producing. I know people don't like to admit it - because we have had days that we have not produced - but this team is middle of the pack in terms of runs scored - and trending upwards.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
06-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Actually there were other teams interested in Alexei, but as I recall, the Sox blew them away with their offer. Also, doesn't someone on the Sox have ties to Alexei's agent?

Man, last night it really looked like Alexei has really arrived. That at-bat where he fouled off 6-7 straight pitches (most of them breaking balls) and finally got a single was like 5 times more impressive than his homer.

All of us here in havana are very proud and happy for him, he deserves it. I heard that he and contreras (his former team mate in pinar del rio) have the same agent, I donīt know if this is the reason he was signed by the CWS and not for another team.

On anyway we hope that he will keep increasing his offense and when he increases his weigth also we think that he could bat around 30 HRīs per season or so, he has enough power to do it. He was the HR leader in his last national championship in Cuba.

Go, Sox, Go, Donīt stop believing.

whitesox901
06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I really like Ramirez. If he keeps this up, Uribe won't have a place on this team anymore. And that's not exactly a bad thing!

Im starting to really like the Ramirez at Short, Richar at Second infield como next year. :bandance: