PDA

View Full Version : Dome Syndrome

turners56
06-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Is it just me or do the White Sox and their hitters just suck when they arrive in a dome?

This season, the White Sox are a collective 3-10 (all wins are against the Rays) when they play in domes. The pitching isn't the problem here, it's the hitting (obviously).

As a team, the Sox have scored a total of 33 runs in games where they've played in domes. That's an anemic 2.53 runs per game. In addition, they've been shutout 4 times in the process.

So, does this team have dome syndrome? Do they just suck in domes? Because if you take away these games they've played in domes, their road record is 14-7!

Good thing we don't play in Japan...

Thoughts?

whitesox901
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM
what about the HHH Metrodome? arnt they 0-2 there?

SoxGirl4Life
Is it just me or do the White Sox and their hitters just suck when they arrive in a dome?

This season, the White Sox are a collective 3-11 (all wins are against the Rays) when they play in domes. The pitching isn't the problem here, it's the hitting (obviously).

As a team, the Sox have scored a total of 33 runs in games where they've played in domes. That's an anemic 2.36 runs per game. In addition, they've been shutout 4 times in the process.

So, does this team have dome syndrome? Do they just suck in domes? Because if you take away these games they've played in domes, their road record is 14-6!

Good thing we don't play in Japan...

Thoughts?

They need to get over it. We have another zillion games at the hump dome.

turners56
what about the HHH Metrodome? arnt they 0-2 there?

I added that in there...

whitesox901
06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I added that in there...

my bad dude :redface:

Harry Potter
06-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Thankfully the Sox only have one more year of playing in the HHH dome

turners56
06-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Thankfully the Sox only have one more year of playing in the HHH dome

Unfortunately, we still have Toronto and Tampa Bay to worry about. I think the reason this team does bad in domes is because of artificial surface. The team has been a power hitting team for a good part of the last decade, no wind means less homers. And this team doesn't hit the ball through the holes much, and when they do hit it on the ground it's usually right at somebody for a double play. A big advantage for the opposing team who plays on a fast infield. It's just like a triple whammy for the Sox when they play in domes.

kingpin_rcs
06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
When the Sox were in Seattle, the roof was closed for at least one of those games (although it's not a true dome even when closed). Was the Rogers Centre closed for all 4 games there?

It could be artificial turf. Minnesota, Toronto and Tampa Bay are the only artificial surfaces left in MLB.

palehozenychicty
06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Unfortunately, we still have Toronto and Tampa Bay to worry about. I think the reason this team does bad in domes is because of artificial surface. The team has been a power hitting team for a good part of the last decade, no wind means less homers. And this team doesn't hit the ball through the holes much, and when they do hit it on the ground it's usually right at somebody for a double play. A big advantage for the opposing team who plays on a fast infield. It's just like a triple whammy for the Sox when they play in domes.

Bingo. If the Sox don't hit homers, they don't win.

turners56
06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Bingo. If the Sox don't hit homers, they don't win.

Which unfortunately has been happening for as long as I can remember (as a Sox fan) besides 2005 where they managed to manufacture runs from speed. The homers were a part of that season, but our dependency upon them was not as great as it was in the previous years and these past couple of years.

turners56
06-02-2008, 03:44 PM
When the Sox were in Seattle, the roof was closed for at least one of those games (although it's not a true dome even when closed). Was the Rogers Centre closed for all 4 games there?

It could be artificial turf. Minnesota, Toronto and Tampa Bay are the only artificial surfaces left in MLB.

It's probably the artificial surface. I think the Rogers Centre was closed 3 times for that series. The Sox do play better when there's open air (the ball carries better in open air I guess, the Cubs have benefited, and somewhat suffered from this forever!). I just can't wait for this next series vs. KC to test my theory lol.

Foulke You
06-02-2008, 04:14 PM
It's probably the artificial surface. I think the Rogers Centre was closed 3 times for that series. The Sox do play better when there's open air (the ball carries better in open air I guess, the Cubs have benefited, and somewhat suffered from this forever!). I just can't wait for this next series vs. KC to test my theory lol.
I have a feeling the bats will come to life at home in this next series too. June at The Cell is a great place to hit and getting out of the depressing domes seem to do wonders for the psyche of the Sox.

Huisj
06-02-2008, 04:22 PM
They just need to call James Baldwin up out of retirement. He was always lights out in the domes. He always seemed to pitch great at TB and MIN.

Foulke You
06-02-2008, 05:30 PM
They just need to call James Baldwin up out of retirement. He was always lights out in the domes. He always seemed to pitch great at TB and MIN.
Ha! I remember that. JB was something like 12W-1L in his career in domes if I remember right. He never had an explanation for that stat either. Perhaps he didn't like wind? :D:

tony1972
06-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Yes..the artificial surface hurts our hitters (and the cold)...(and the heat)...(and when it's too sunny) or (too cloudy) or (when they face a rookie Cy Young Pitcher) or (when they face a veteran pitcher)...or (when they play on natural grass)....

once the Sox play when it's 78.6 degress under partly cloudy skies with a sophmore pitcher on a combo of natural and arificial grass...they'll start hitting !:D:

thomas35forever
06-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I know the season's only two months in, but according to weather.com, the Sox play best in day games with temperatures between 46 and 60 degrees and the wind going across the field from left to right.

turners56
06-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I know the season's only two months in, but according to weather.com, the Sox play best in day games with temperatures between 46 and 60 degrees and the wind going across the field from left to right.

I never knew weather.com provided this kind of info...