PDA

View Full Version : Cubs fans really annoying me this weekend and today

aryzner
06-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know if this belongs here or in the road house, but I just have to rant...

Cubs fans are pissing me the **** off lately. (It's hard for me to not know mostly Cub fans living in the NW burbs.)

All I have gotten so far after yesterday's games and today is "Hey the Cubs went 7-0 on this homestand. How'd your Sox do?" in that mocking type tone.

I can't even reason with them in pointing out that they played the half-our-team-is-on-the-DL last place Rockies and we just had the red-hot Rays.

To top it off, the Cubs go on this week to play the Padres, so the outlook for me is not looking any better.

I just don't get it. I never walk around openly talking **** about the Cubs when they're sucking. I've even admitted they have a good team this year to many people.

Sorry folks for the rant, I am just annoyed today. Can anyone make me feel better? I admit I'm not the most knowledgable baseball fan in the entire world, so perhaps someone here has some ammo I could fire back at them? :(:

Ugh I need to get away from this right now. Please win 10 in a row, White Sox! For my sake!

turners56
06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh don't even tell me about it. Cubs fans are extremely irrational. There's no use making sense to them, telling them they beat the worst team in baseball 4 times and that they're a terrible road team who is about to play a bunch of games on the road is useless. Whatever, as long as we got first place and we don't suck like we did in Tampa, who cares? We just need to make sure we beat the Cubs to shut them up. No more going 0-6 vs. the biggest sore losers of all time.

spawn
06-02-2008, 02:07 PM
They have every right to gloat. Their team went 7-0 during their current homestand and have the best record in baseball. If the situation were reversed and it was the Sox, I'm sure you'd be gloating as well.

areilly
06-02-2008, 02:36 PM
They have every right to gloat. Their team went 7-0 during their current homestand and have the best record in baseball. If the situation were reversed and it was the Sox, I'm sure you'd be gloating as well.

I know I would've been. Come to think of it, I usually am.

I say let them enjoy it. Their team is playing great (for once) and their boasting is surprisingly justified. The Cubs are firing on all cylinders while Sox management is fighting in the press. This isn't really the time for witty comebacks or lame reminders of how the 2005 team scored four touchdowns in a single game.

skottyj242
06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
"Go fist yourself" works pretty good as a retort.

cbrownson13
06-02-2008, 02:48 PM
They deserve to talk all the trash they want.

The Cubs are for real, folks. And they are hot right now.

Yes, they played the Rockies, but so what? All they can do is play the schedule they have and they are dominating it right now.

They have decent pitching, a ton of hitting, a pretty good bullpen, (Marmol is outstanding and will be a very successful closer someday) and, outside of Soriano, pretty good defense.

So, us Sox fans need to just take it on the chin and hope the Sox can survive terrible hitting and make the playoffs.

But the Cubs are clearly the best team in the NL so we can expect this all the way into October.

I don't mean to sound like I am supporting the Cubs. Just being realistic and observing what's going on. I am definitely not a Cubs fan, but I don't actively root for them to lose either. Unless they are playing the Sox.

turners56
06-02-2008, 02:57 PM

Not in the attitude they convey it. I usually don't bring up baseball topics (especially Sox topics) to non-Sox fans. The most I'll do to piss other fans off is like telling my buddy who's a Tigers fan how bad they are this year. Talking baseball to Cubs fans is most likely useless anyhow.

aryzner
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Oh I completely agree that they're for real and they'll most likely win their division. I can admit that they are a good team and everything.

I'm just frustrated because the only time I really talk trash about the Cubs is when I'm attacked by a wave of "Sox suck" type talk. Even as recently as 2006 when they sucked terribly, I never walked around saying "Cubs suck" to everyone I know. It's just not my style to talk trash like that.

turners56
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM

Yes, they played the Rockies, but so what? All they can do is play the schedule they have and they are dominating it right now.

They have decent pitching, a ton of hitting, a pretty good bullpen, (Marmol is outstanding and will be a very successful closer someday) and, outside of Soriano, pretty good defense.

So, us Sox fans need to just take it on the chin and hope the Sox can survive terrible hitting and make the playoffs.

But the Cubs are clearly the best team in the NL so we can expect this all the way into October.

I don't mean to sound like I am supporting the Cubs. Just being realistic and observing what's going on. I am definitely not a Cubs fan, but I don't actively root for them to lose either. Unless they are playing the Sox.

The road record and how they play on the road tells it all. THIS TEAM WILL FALL BACK DOWN TO EARTH! They're playing 22 of their next 32 games on the road, by that time, they won't be the best team in the NL. To me, that title still belongs to the D'Backs.

turners56
06-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Oh I completely agree that they're for real and they'll most likely win their division. I can admit that they are a good team and everything.

I'm just frustrated because the only time I really talk trash about the Cubs is when I'm attacked by a wave of "Sox suck" type talk. Even as recently as 2006 when they sucked terribly, I never walked around saying "Cubs suck" to everyone I know. It's just not my style to talk trash like that.

I don't think most real Sox fans do, nor do real Cubs fans. But when you have millions of phony Cubs fans walking around, things can get ugly.

Cuck the Fubs
06-02-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm personally shocked any Cub fan would go on the offensive with any White Sox fan...I mean everyone knows Cubs fans don't care about the White Sox.

Only White Sox fans obcess about the Cubbies!:rolleyes:

That being said, I'm really not looking forward to my softball game tonight, I'm sure all my Cub fan buddies will be jabbering away:angry:

johnr1note
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm personally shocked any Cub fan would go on the offensive with any White Sox fan...I mean everyone knows Cubs fans don't care about the White Sox.

Only White Sox fans obcess about the Cubbies!:rolleyes:

That being said, I'm really not looking forward to my softball game tonight, I'm sure all my Cub fan buddies will be jabbering away:angry:

You're so right -- only the White Sox fans are the "haters," being a Cubs fan is all about love and tolerance.

The Cubs are playing well, but except for their sweep of the D-bakcs at home, really haven't played the "cream of the crop" in the NL. I forsee a fall back to earth. But I'll give them all the props they deserve right now.

soxpride724
06-02-2008, 03:19 PM
It's not going to end anytime soon, and all you can do is sit back and wait for the expected colapse, then maybe they will shut up.
Even if they make the WS which I doubt and loose,(have to admit they have a great shot, but they are after all the Cubs) you will never hear the end of it. They still talk about the 69 team like it's the 85 ****in Bears.

bryPt
06-02-2008, 03:33 PM
patience people....... patience.

Agree with them, "yep, your guys are kickin butt right now. Go get em!" Lull them into a false sense of security, all the while you are not giving them that feeling they are looking for, holding us Sox fans down. Go along with a smile on your face, even throw down a high five or something, this will confuse them, they will not know what to do, so they will just go back to their normal self and follow.

patience....

Egg them on if they make the playoffs. "It is your time!" you can say, or "You guys are goin all the way!" Build them up, get their hopes so high....

Then, the second they are eliminated, hit them with all the angst, anger and hatred you have saved up while exhibiting patience the rest of this year. Make them hurt like they just caught a bowling ball in the nuts. Hell hath no fury, bring the pain.

But for now, patience...

SOXBOY
06-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Don't let the Cub fans get to you, most of them only know Ronnie "Poo-Poo" and nothing else.

Jerko
06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
It must be nice playing two winning teams a month, but you gotta beat who you play, and it all evens out for the most part. Cards play the Pirates and Rockies a lot too. Just have to see if their road woes catch up to them or they cool off at home.

PatK
06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I've been saying two things lately

1) "I thought Cubs fans didn't care about the Sox"

or

2) "Been there, done that"

Dick Allen
06-02-2008, 03:55 PM
If baseball season ended on June 1st, the Cubs would have a dynasty. Tell those puds to check back with you in late October.

russ99
06-02-2008, 04:31 PM

I don't buy it. When they can win on the road and put up the same pitching at home in the hot daytime sun, then I'll consider them title contenders.

Case in point, we had an 8-game streak and look where we are now...

Law11
06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Their annoyisms havent even begun to get into full swing yet.
Inter League will have a whole new bravado about it this year if your heading to those games..

SoxGirl4Life
06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't buy it. When they can win on the road and put up the same pitching at home in the hot daytime sun, then I'll consider them title contenders.

Case in point, we had an 8-game streak and look where we are now...

Still in first? :dunno:

thomas35forever
06-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Even if the Cubs stay hot over the next couple of months, they're still going to hit a swoon during the dog days of summer. We did in '05 and people panicked. Can you imagine what the media and fans will be saying when it happens?

As I wrote this, my roommate said he hopes the Cubs sweep the Sox in the crosstown series (either one). That's right, Cubbie fans. Like the Bears must beat the Packers to succeed, your team must beat the Pale Hose.:rolleyes:

manders_01
06-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Agree with them, "yep, your guys are kickin butt right now. Go get em!" Lull them into a false sense of security, all the while you are not giving them that feeling they are looking for, holding us Sox fans down. Go along with a smile on your face, even throw down a high five or something, this will confuse them, they will not know what to do, so they will just go back to their normal self and follow.

patience....

Egg them on if they make the playoffs. "It is your time!" you can say, or "You guys are goin all the way!" Build them up, get their hopes so high....

Then, the second they are eliminated, hit them with all the angst, anger and hatred you have saved up while exhibiting patience the rest of this year. Make them hurt like they just caught a bowling ball in the nuts. Hell hath no fury, bring the pain.

But for now, patience...

:rolling: That's awesome. It almost makes me want a Scrubs fan talking smack. Almost. :D:

MrRoboto83
06-02-2008, 08:20 PM

patience....

But for now, patience...

I agree with you totally. This is basically what I do to some of the people I work with.

Looking at the Flubs schedule, I look forward to that little road trip when they go to Toronto, Tampa Bay and then they have to play the White Sox, that is one tough week of pitching they are going to have to face.

MarySwiss
06-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I agree with you totally. This is basically what I do to some of the people I work with.

Looking at the Flubs schedule, I look forward to that little road trip when they go to Toronto, Tampa Bay and then they have to play the White Sox, that is one tough week of pitching they are going to have to face.

At work today, walking in, I encountered the Cub fan. He looked like he wanted to say something, then he thought better of it. Wise move on his part.:cool:

TDog
06-02-2008, 09:57 PM
They deserve to talk all the trash they want. ....

I haven't attended junior high school since the 1970s. Fortunately, the people I associate with now are too mature to talk trash.

When I was in junior high school, Cubs fans trashed talk all the time. And they had better hitting and better pitching and a bigger lead than they do today. The race seemed over when their stud lefty pitched a no-hitter in August. They had an eight-game lead at the time.

Cubs fans weren't talking trash in September, though, when they couldn't win and they ended up eight games out of first.

I have never talked trash. I didn't talk trash in 2005. I know that what goes around comes around.

chisoxfanatic
06-02-2008, 10:05 PM
There's only one Cubs fan at work who will even talk baseball with me anymore, and I have to say that he is a pretty intelligent not just Cub fan, but *baseball* fan as well. A group of us went out to O'Rourke's Office after work on Friday night, and three of us (him, another Sox fan, and myself) were talking baseball for a while during that time. He has flashed me a smirk or two every now and then, but has been classy pretty much the whole way, because he knows that it doesn't mean a thing without your team hoisting the trophy up on their shoulders like our team did in 2005.

I pretty much slept a bunch of the weekend away, so I didn't encounter them out and about this past weekend; but, I'll say that they're now having to go on the road for a bunch of games. I doubt they'll be playing at this clip all season.

cws05champ
06-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Look, the Cubs are a good team like it or not. But here's some ammo to throw at them...not that most would care or understand this:

Cubs have played 34 of 58 games at home, nearly 60% of their games. Their opponents winning % is .466, which basically facing a team day in and day out with 26 wins at this point. They are in 1st place by 3 1/2 games.

The Sox have played 22 of 56 games at home, less than 40% of their games. Their opponents winning % is .507, which is like facing a team with 29 wins every day. They have played 14 of their games(11 of which were on the road) against 1st place teams that have the 2nd and 3rd best records in baseball.

Lets have a good home stand and get the SOX back on track....5 of 6 would be nice.

soxfan13
06-03-2008, 10:49 AM
The road record and how they play on the road tells it all. THIS TEAM WILL FALL BACK DOWN TO EARTH! They're playing 22 of their next 32 games on the road, by that time, they won't be the best team in the NL. To me, that title still belongs to the D'Backs.

Isnt that the team the Cubs swept a little while back, when the D'Backs were hot. All this ****ing garbage about road record and what not, is ridiculous. Look, if the Cubs play .500 ball on the road(which currently, they are 1 game under) and .600 ball at home (they are playing .750 ball right now) they finish with 90 wins. They are doing everything they are suppose to be doing right now, beating the bad teams and holding serve so to speak on the road. This team is good, there is nothing you can do about it. Instead of everybody here, worrying about the Cubs and their fans, we should be worried about the White Sox anemic offense and whats gonna happen when the pitching starts to come back to earth.

I want Mags back
06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Tell them you didnt realize the WS Title was being given out in June this year:wink:

PatK
06-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I love seeing people on this site handing the Cubs the World Series trophy at this point when they were moaning in 2005 how the Sox hadn't won anything yet.

soxfan13
06-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I love seeing people on this site handing the Cubs the World Series trophy at this point when they were moaning in 2005 how the Sox hadn't won anything yet.

Who is handing them a World Series? I just am not going to ignore the fact that the Cubs are good team. If baseball fans of other teams, not including the Cubs, read these comments about the Cubs on this site , they would think Sox fans are the stupidest bunch of fans in the country. It's really embarassing as a Sox fan to find alot of you can give two ****s about what the Sox are doing or need to do. You would rather sit here and bitch about the Cubs and their fans.

PatK
06-03-2008, 02:22 PM
[quote=soxfan13;1913344 You would rather sit here and bitch about the Cubs and their fans.[/quote]

I thought that was the point of "What's the Score?".

My bad.

soxpride724
06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Who is handing them a World Series? I just am not going to ignore the fact that the Cubs are good team. If baseball fans of other teams, not including the Cubs, read these comments about the Cubs on this site , they would think Sox fans are the stupidest bunch of fans in the country. It's really embarassing as a Sox fan to find alot of you can give two ****s about what the Sox are doing or need to do. You would rather sit here and bitch about the Cubs and their fans.

You are right. I give Cub fan friends of mine unbiassed observations of thier team all the time. They have a solid product on the field and there is no denying that. The team has potential to make some noise in October. Now I also tell them that I can't wait to see them choke it all away like they always do:tongue:

soxfan13
06-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I thought that was the point of "What's the Score?".

My bad.

Yeah to bitch and moan is one thing but to bitch and moan while blatantly ignoring the facts is another thing all togther.

turners56
06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Isnt that the team the Cubs swept a little while back, when the D'Backs were hot. All this ****ing garbage about road record and what not, is ridiculous. Look, if the Cubs play .500 ball on the road(which currently, they are 1 game under) and .600 ball at home (they are playing .750 ball right now) they finish with 90 wins. They are doing everything they are suppose to be doing right now, beating the bad teams and holding serve so to speak on the road. This team is good, there is nothing you can do about it. Instead of everybody here, worrying about the Cubs and their fans, we should be worried about the White Sox anemic offense and whats gonna happen when the pitching starts to come back to earth.

Yes, the Cubs swept them, in a place called Wrigley Field, where they play unbelievable baseball. You put them on the road, it's a different story. Some of their hitters like Derosa have incredibly lopsided splits for home and away. And before it's all said and done, Arizona will be the better team.

Take a look at that team, tell me how you don't like their pitching staff and the young and talented lineup they have. Pitching wins, we all know that. When the D'Backs have 3 lights out starters in Webb, Haren, and Owings, that's scary in October. What do the Cubs have? Carlos Zambrano, the only reliable pitcher on the Cubs' pitching staff. Do any of us and maybe even some Cubs fans think Ryan Dempster will keep up at the pace he's going? Does Ted Lilly scare the opposition? Do Jason Marquis, Sean Gallagher, Rich Hill, Sean Marshall, and Jon Lieber scare the opposition?

We should all know that great pitching is the key to success in the playoffs and later in the season, the Cubs are winning with offense and just enough pitching. Thing is, when the offense starts to slump, is the pitching going to be enough? If anything, this 08 Cubs team reminds me of the 06 White Sox for the first half of the season. However, being in the division they're in, they will make the playoffs. However, their trip in the post-season may be considerably short.

I am in no way saying the Cubs are a bad team, but they have flaws, flaws that will end up hurting them in the future.

PatK
06-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah to bitch and moan is one thing but to bitch and moan while blatantly ignoring the facts is another thing all togther.

What facts have I ignored? Did I say they have a crappy team? Did I say they aren't doing well? Point out where I have if so.

The fact you are ignoring was you got bitched out on this site if you mentioned playoffs in 2005 at this point in the season.

We didn't win anything at that point, and they haven't either. Plenty of baseball left.

nug0hs
06-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Don't forget, we always have the penultimate comeback (at least for now)

"What were you doing on October 25, 2005?"

areilly
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Not in a career, not in a season...four touchdowns in a single game!

spawn
06-03-2008, 03:13 PM

Don't you mean October 26,2005?

Iwritecode
06-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Watching game 3 of the World Series? :?:

turners56
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Watching game 3 of the World Series? :?:

Unfortunately, I didn't watch that one till the end. I got tired of that by the 11th inning and went to sleep. It was a school night. :(

Iwritecode
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't watch that one till the end. I got tired of that by the 11th inning and went to sleep. It was a school night. :(

I stayed up and watched the whole thing. By the time the 13th and 14th innings rolled around, I was just hoping for either team to score so they could end it.

turners56
06-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I stayed up and watched the whole thing. By the time the 13th and 14th innings rolled around, I was just hoping for either team to score so they could end it.

How could you?

whitesox901
06-03-2008, 04:14 PM

I too, had that delema....:whiner:

turners56
06-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I too, had that delema....:scratch::whiner:

Eh, I wouldn't of liked to live with the kind of drama. Extra-innings baseball in the post season is like riding a huge roller coaster, you're scared ****less when you're on the coaster, but after it, you feel good and thought you had fun. Same with extra-inning baseball.

doublem23
06-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Eh, I wouldn't of liked to live with the kind of drama. Extra-innings baseball in the post season is like riding a huge roller coaster, you're scared ****less when you're on the coaster, but after it, you feel good and thought you had fun. Same with extra-inning baseball.

Yeah, I thought about going to sleep that night, but I couldn't... There's no way I'd have slept knowing the Sox were playing a pivotal game in the World Series.

Plus, at their current pace, they're not due for another World Series trip for some time, so I couldn't pass it up. :cool:

kittle42
06-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I too, had that delema....

Sorry, couldn't pass this one up.

Iwritecode
06-03-2008, 04:39 PM
How could you?

It was a sacrifice I was willing to make at the time. That was some very intense, nerve-wracking baseball.

I'm glad stayed up and got to watch Buehrle record the save though. :D:

turners56
06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
It was a sacrifice I was willing to make at the time. That was some very intense, nerve-wracking baseball.

I'm glad stayed up and got to watch Buehrle record the save though. :D:

Eh, the Sox might not of been 2005 World Series champions had the Sox not won that game. That game totally demoralized Houston, knowing they lost a game started by their best pitcher and doing so in a tired and hungry fashion.

areilly
06-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Eh, the Sox might not of been 2005 World Series champions had the Sox not won that game. That game totally demoralized Houston, knowing they lost a game started by their best pitcher and doing so in a tired and hungry fashion.

I disagree. The Astros team that showed up for game 4 didn't look very demoralized to me, and Backe's pitching was as good a World Series performance as I've ever seen.

This thread, by the way, has degenerated in a very interesting fashion. I hope the symbolism and context aren't lost on anyone.

turners56
06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I disagree. The Astros team that showed up for game 4 didn't look very demoralized to me, and Backe's pitching was as good a World Series performance as I've ever seen.

This thread, by the way, has degenerated in a very interesting fashion. I hope the symbolism and context aren't lost on anyone.

Backe's always fired up, did you see him? On the WS DVD, he looked and sounded like a total nut to me. I think both teams were tired, but the fact that Houston sucked as much as we are sucking with runners in scoring position right now is a sign that they weren't confident in their abilities after the Sox shut them down for 7 innings the night before.

soxpride724
06-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I thought about going to sleep that night, but I couldn't... There's no way I'd have slept knowing the Sox were playing a pivotal game in the World Series.

Plus, at their current pace, they're not due for another World Series trip for some time, so I couldn't pass it up. :cool:

I was pretty sick that night, I knew I would be calling in to work the next day so I finished the game and had the next day off to watch them take the title.:bandance:

Optipessimism
06-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Cub fans are so used to losing that when they catch some good fortune they cannot control themselves.

I don't wear my Sox gear around large groups of people anymore because I don't like getting into situations where I feel like hitting someone. Cub fans can be so rude and ignorant of their own history that they just beg to get punched in the mouth. I try to ignore it as best as I can.

ChiSoxGirl
06-03-2008, 09:02 PM

C'mon, guys! :tongue: I'm a teacher and watched this and many other playoff games at the former Puffer's, and got home at 1:15a, shortly before the game ended. I had to go home because I just couldn't sit there anymore- I was exhausted. I had to be up at 5:15a the next morning for school! :mg:

I lived three weeks of my life like that- on very little sleep and quite a few drinks- and never once called in sick. Of course, that's not counting the three days I missed in early November with strep throat, due to that lack of sleep. :wink:

fusillirob1983
06-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I didn't really care what time I went to sleep. I wish I was still in college.

chisoxfanatic
06-03-2008, 09:36 PM
C'mon, guys! :tongue: I'm a teacher and watched this and many other playoff games at the former Puffer's, and got home at 1:15a, shortly before the game ended. I had to go home because I just couldn't sit there anymore- I was exhausted. I had to be up at 5:15a the next morning for school! :mg:

But, you were at Puffers the NEXT night as well, and you sure didn't look tired! I think someone added some extra tanks of oxygen in the air at Puffers for those of us sleep-deprived Sox fans who just wanted to party after a hard-fought postseason triumph.

I'm wearing my WS Champs t-shirt to work tomorrow. And, when you're out and about, you don't even have to say anything...Just point to your World Series Champions gear. :smile:

thomas35forever
06-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I did too and was in bed by the 12th or 13th inning. It wasn't bad. I was just shocked that Geoff Blum won the game for us.

TheOldRoman
06-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I love seeing people on this site handing the Cubs the World Series trophy at this point when they were moaning in 2005 how the Sox hadn't won anything yet.Yep, that is how things work among several posters. The Cubs are winning now, so they are a great, great team who will walk to the division title, if not world series. If you can't see that you are either dumb or flubsessed.

The key is, when throwing out such accusations, you have to use a healthy amount of smarm, try to establish that you are much more intelligent than the other poster, and then claim the other poster is an embarrassment, but sadly, a typical Sox fan.

1908<2005
06-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Now they are making it look easy.
Ready for #9.

Chicken Dinner
06-03-2008, 11:26 PM
It's a 162 game schedule. They probably have the easiest first half schedule and the toughest second half schedule. We will see. They haven't played a whole lot of teams above .500.

doublem23
06-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Now they are making it look easy.
Ready for #9.

The Cubs are pretty good and the Padres are pretty terrible. :shrug: These are games they should be winning.

TheOldRoman
06-03-2008, 11:31 PM
The Cubs are pretty good and the Padres are pretty terrible. :shrug: These are games they should be winning.Yep. I think the Cubs will tumble very far, even if they still win the division. Regardless, they are beating the ****ty teams right now, and you can't blame them for that. They will get tested before the season is over.

Elephant
06-03-2008, 11:34 PM
I live roustabouts a mile from Wrigley and I drive past frequently. It seems like they've played about 50 home games so far.

doublem23
06-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Yep. I think the Cubs will tumble very far, even if they still win the division. Regardless, they are beating the ****ty teams right now, and you can't blame them for that. They will get tested before the season is over.

Neal Cotts is back with the Cubs, since he just came into pitch. Looks like their bullpen is on the verge of another rough night, Kevin Hart (:scratch:) gave up 2 hits and and 2 walks (the 2nd to walk in a run with a 6-run lead) in a 1/3 of an inning of work. The Cubs mediocre pitching staff is what's going to sink this team.

It's Time
06-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Neal Cotts is back with the Cubs, since he just came into pitch. Looks like their bullpen is on the verge of another rough night, Kevin Hart (:scratch:) gave up 2 hits and and 2 walks (the 2nd to walk in a run with a 6-run lead) in a 1/3 of an inning of work. The Cubs mediocre pitching staff is what's going to sink this team.

Someone said in this thread that they have the third best ERA in the NL. I am not sure I would call that Mediocre.

Not only that, if Hendry needs to rob someone for one more starter at the deadline, you know he will.

It's disturbing what their offense is doing to opposing pitchers. If my eyes are correct, the box score says Fukodome was on the bench tonight and they put up 9 runs.

1908<2005
06-04-2008, 02:53 AM
Someone said in this thread that they have the third best ERA in the NL. I am not sure I would call that Mediocre.

Not only that, if Hendry needs to rob someone for one more starter at the deadline, you know he will.

It's disturbing what their offense is doing to opposing pitchers. If my eyes are correct, the box score says Fukodome was on the bench tonight and they put up 9 runs.
Fuku wasn't even at the park. He was enjoying the night with his wife and kids. :angry:

MISoxfan
06-04-2008, 04:34 AM
Yep, that is how things work among several posters. The Cubs are winning now, so they are a great, great team who will walk to the division title, if not world series. If you can't see that you are either dumb or flubsessed.

The key is, when throwing out such accusations, you have to use a healthy amount of smarm, try to establish that you are much more intelligent than the other poster, and then claim the other poster is an embarrassment, but sadly, a typical Sox fan.

Thats the guidebook to winning every argument here.

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Yep, that is how things work among several posters. The Cubs are winning now, so they are a great, great team who will walk to the division title, if not world series. If you can't see that you are either dumb or flubsessed.

At least it's not the amount of false accomplishment accorded to the Twins year in and year out.

Actually scratch that--this sucks just as bad.

soxfan13
06-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Yes, the Cubs swept them, in a place called Wrigley Field, where they play unbelievable baseball. You put them on the road, it's a different story. Some of their hitters like Derosa have incredibly lopsided splits for home and away. And before it's all said and done, Arizona will be the better team.

Take a look at that team, tell me how you don't like their pitching staff and the young and talented lineup they have. Pitching wins, we all know that. When the D'Backs have 3 lights out starters in Webb, Haren, and Owings, that's scary in October. What do the Cubs have? Carlos Zambrano, the only reliable pitcher on the Cubs' pitching staff. Do any of us and maybe even some Cubs fans think Ryan Dempster will keep up at the pace he's going? Does Ted Lilly scare the opposition? Do Jason Marquis, Sean Gallagher, Rich Hill, Sean Marshall, and Jon Lieber scare the opposition?

We should all know that great pitching is the key to success in the playoffs and later in the season, the Cubs are winning with offense and just enough pitching. Thing is, when the offense starts to slump, is the pitching going to be enough? If anything, this 08 Cubs team reminds me of the 06 White Sox for the first half of the season. However, being in the division they're in, they will make the playoffs. However, their trip in the post-season may be considerably short.

I am in no way saying the Cubs are a bad team, but they have flaws, flaws that will end up hurting them in the future.

I agree that Arizona is a very good team and that the pitching can be scary good IF they stay healthy. IMO I do think its going to be a Cubs vs D'Backs NLCS.

What facts have I ignored? Did I say they have a crappy team? Did I say they aren't doing well? Point out where I have if so.

The fact you are ignoring was you got bitched out on this site if you mentioned playoffs in 2005 at this point in the season.

We didn't win anything at that point, and they haven't either. Plenty of baseball left.

Im doing the same thing you did. Where did I hand the Cubs a World Series. All I said that they are good and you cant ignore that fact.

You are the typical Sox fan. The Cubs can win the rest of their games sweep thru the playoffs have their parade and somehow in your blurred flubsessed eyes they got lucky or really didnt beat the best teams. Give me a ****ing break!!!

balke
06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Can someone please tell me how Fukudome leads the NL voting for CF all-star, whilst Aaron Rowand is hitting .333 with a .934 OPS?

Actually, don't tell me... I know the answer. I just get pissed how dumb Cub fans are. In this case though, I'm assuming there's a huge Japanese voter swing for this.

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Can someone please tell me how Fukudome leads the NL voting for CF all-star, whilst Aaron Rowand is hitting .333 with a .934 OPS?

Actually, don't tell me... I know the answer. I just get pissed how dumb Cub fans are. In this case though, I'm assuming there's a huge Japanese voter swing for this.

because

a.) Japanese voters, as you pointed out, do turn out to support their players
b.) There was a lot of hype for Fukudome's signing and he started off hot enough to keep that hype going
c.) Fukudome plays in a higher profile market than Rowand
d.) Though Rowand's power is significantly better, Fukudome is still playing well (hitting .300, 800 OPS with great defense)

Jerko
06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
because

b.) There was a lot of hype for Fukudome's signing and he started off hot enough to keep that hype going
d.) Though Rowand's power is significantly better, Fukudome is still playing well (hitting .300, 800 OPS with great defense)

He said don't tell him.

doublem23
06-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Well, my assessment of their pitching staff is my own (probably biased) opinion. I think they have a few guys pitching over their heads right now... Dempster has already thrown more innings this year than he has in every year except 1 since 2003, the last time he was a starting pitcher, can he keep this up or will he burn out? Kerry Wood's arm is always a ticking time bomb... Michael Wuertz, for pete's sake has an ERA under 3.

Maybe they're charmed this year, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think the Cubs pitching staff is going to be the undoing of this team... Plus, Sweet Lou is really taxing those arms; the Cubs bullpen has already thrown 201 innings, which is almost 60 more than the Sox bullpen has. Like I said, maybe this is their year, but smart money would say at least 1-2 guys are going to break down.

PatK
06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Im doing the same thing you did. Where did I hand the Cubs a World Series. All I said that they are good and you cant ignore that fact.

Where did I say that YOU handed the Cubs the World Series?

I didn't. But I do find it funny you get angry at being accused of it and in the same post have them in the NLCS.

So that's two things you're wrong on.

Maybe if you're sick of people bitching and whining you shouldn't be posting on a thread that's title implies bitching and whining.

aryzner
06-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Well I really didn't mean for this to turn into some small fights/arguements between some members of WSI.

All I wanted to do was vent a little because it seemed like it was non-stop trash talk to me over the weekend and it was quite annoying. I can take a little, but it got out of hand eventually and I just wanted to scream at someone.

The fact remains that they're a good team and as someone else said, they're beating who they should be beating right now.

I'll be interested to see how they do when they play the Rays in the middle of June.

And also as someone else mentioned, as I look at the schedule now, they really do have a much tougher 2nd half. They'll still make the playoffs, though, in my opinion.

kittle42
06-04-2008, 09:32 AM
You are the typical Sox fan. The Cubs can win the rest of their games sweep thru the playoffs have their parade and somehow in your blurred flubsessed eyes they got lucky or really didnt beat the best teams. Give me a ****ing break!!!

Sorry, Cubbie naysayers - I actually tend to agree more with this opinion. The complete downplaying of the best record in baseball in this thread is kinda silly. If the Sox were in the same position with the same record after beating the same teams (or teams with the same records) as the Cubs have, you'd brush off any suggestion that the Sox were getting lucky.

Just as I was writing that last part, I forgot this is WSI...there would still be people saying the Sox stunk if they were 161-1.

doublem23
06-04-2008, 09:32 AM
You just to got keep remembering... The higher they raise, the harder they fall.

:cool:

You just got to believe this is going to end hilariously.

doublem23
06-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Sorry, Cubbie naysayers - I actually tend to agree more with this opinion. The complete downplaying of the best record in baseball in this thread is kinda silly. If the Sox were in the same position with the same record after beating the same teams (or teams with the same records) as the Cubs have, you'd brush off any suggestion that the Sox were getting lucky.

Just as I was writing that last part, I forgot this is WSI...there would still be people saying the Sox stunk if they were 161-1.

Well, yeah... If you want Flubsessed, "the Cubs are going all the way!" talk, just open up a newspaper. Shockingly a White Sox message board isn't ready to call this a season on June 4. Likewise, when the Sox were steamrolling the league in 2005, you could get plenty of "they can't keep this up talk" from your local newspaper.

Welcome to Fort White Sox. Don't be ashamed to admit you hate the Cubs and want to see them crash and burn.

soxfan13
06-04-2008, 09:42 AM

here is where you accused people on this site of HANDING THEM THE WORLD SERIES TROPHY

Where did I say that YOU handed the Cubs the World Series?

I didn't. But I do find it funny you get angry at being accused of it and in the same post have them in the NLCS.

So that's two things you're wrong on.

Maybe if you're sick of people bitching and whining you shouldn't be posting on a thread that's title implies bitching and whining.

And yes I do pick them to at least make the nlcs but again get your reading glasses out and show me where I pick them to win the world series or even the NLCS for that fact.

areilly
06-04-2008, 09:42 AM

It's All-"Star," not All-Best. Stardom and performance are not the same thing, nor are they entirely tied to each other.

soxfan13
06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
It's All-"Star," not All-Best. Stardom and performance are not the same thing, nor are they entirely tied to each other.

Thats a different arguement different thread:tongue:

balke
06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
because

Less OPS. Less power Less avg. And oh yeah, not a CFer.

I mean I get the popularity contest, but just wanted to point out again how dumb it is. Soriano's overbite is leading all LFer's as well.

Jerko
06-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Cubs are doing what they have to do; winning at home and feasting on **** teams. They haven't played a team that currently has a winning record since May 20, and don't play another until June 10. BUT, everyone else in the NL plays against the same garbage the Cubs do, and right now they have the best record. I don't think their starters are that good, and that bullpen is going to be exhausted by year's end, but right now they deserve to be annoying I guess. And they HAVE missed a lot of the other teams' best pitchers and players, (rockies missing what, 4 everyday players, Young and Peavy both out for SD, they missed Peavy the first time they played as well, missed Webb, missed Santana, Furcal, (I won't count Andrew Jones, he was suckin it up anyway), etc. So, it could be luck, it could be who they played so far, but that **** evens out during the course of the season.

It's Time
06-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Cubs are doing what they have to do; winning at home and feasting on **** teams. They haven't played a team that currently has a winning record since May 20, and don't play another until June 10. BUT, everyone else in the NL plays against the same garbage the Cubs do, and right now they have the best record. I don't think their starters are that good, and that bullpen is going to be exhausted by year's end, but right now they deserve to be annoying I guess. And they HAVE missed a lot of the other teams' best pitchers and players, (rockies missing what, 4 everyday players, Young and Peavy both out for SD, they missed Peavy the first time they played as well, missed Webb, missed Santana, Furcal, (I won't count Andrew Jones, he was suckin it up anyway), etc. So, it could be luck, it could be who they played so far, but that **** evens out during the course of the season.

On the Peavy and Webb comments. I am almost positive Peavy got lit up at Wrigley, but I'll have to check. They did not face Webb, but the D-Backs missed Zambrano.

Jerko
06-04-2008, 10:13 AM
On the Peavy and Webb comments. I am almost positive Peavy got lit up at Wrigley, but I'll have to check. They did not face Webb, but the D-Backs missed Zambrano.

I think you're right. Like I said, it all evens out (teams that miss Zambrano, Soriano was out for a while, etc.)

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Less OPS. Less power Less avg. And oh yeah, not a CFer.

I mean I get the popularity contest, but just wanted to point out again how dumb it is. Soriano's overbite is leading all LFer's as well.

Dude, if you think that Fukudome will be the first player with inferior stats to be voted in over a player with better stats, you must not follow baseball closely.

Would I personally vote Fukudome over Rowand? Probably not. But if you don't understand why it's happening, or if you think it has to do with the Cubs more than it has to do with

1.) Fukudome's hype coming into this season
2.) Fukudome being from Japan and having Japanese voters punching myriad ballots
3.) Chicago being a first place team, SF being a lost cause

then I think you need to wise up :shrug:

balke
06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Dude, if you think that Fukudome will be the first player with inferior stats to be voted in over a player with better stats, you must not follow baseball closely.

Would I personally vote Fukudome over Rowand? Probably not. But if you don't understand why it's happening, or if you think it has to do with the Cubs more than it has to do with

1.) Fukudome's hype coming into this season
2.) Fukudome being from Japan and having Japanese voters punching myriad ballots
3.) Chicago being a first place team, SF being a lost cause

then I think you need to wise up :shrug:

Oh I get it, but this is where I get to vent about it every year. The guy is behind Ryan Church, Xavier Nady, Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, and Ryan Ludwick offensively as a RFer alone. And he's going to be an all-star CFer this season?

The hype around him all season just inflates his non-star status to me. He's not a 10th as good as people make him out to be.

cws05champ
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
The Sox have had some good luck when facing some teams as well. They faced the Yanks when A-rod went down, the Angels when they had Kendrick & figgins out. They missed Kazmir in the 1st Rays series in April, and Percival went down the game before the 2nd Rays series.

The Cubs are a good team and they are beating some inferior teams right now. But a 9 game winning streak and the best record in baseball is impressive no matter who you play!! They are hitting the snot out of the ball right now, but hopefully they cool off before we play them(or our pitching cools them off). I don't care if the Cubs win 105 games, as long as they fall in the post season.

kittle42
06-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Welcome to Fort White Sox. Don't be ashamed to admit you hate the Cubs and want to see them crash and burn.

I'm not. I would like nothing better than to see the sad look on the faces of Cubs fans when their team blows it either in September or October, or, preferably, much sooner.

But I still must admit I do not think they are "lucky" or a "fluke." Their offense is very well-balanced. If they pick up even one good starter at the trade deadline, look out, because their major weakness right now is starting rotation in a short series.

soxfan13
06-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Oh I get it, but this is where I get to vent about it every year. The guy is behind Ryan Church, Xavier Nady, Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, and Ryan Ludwick offensively as a RFer alone. And he's going to be an all-star CFer this season?

The hype around him all season just inflates his non-star status to me. He's not a 10th as good as people make him out to be.

But right now he is 10x's better then a certain player called Swisher.

balke
06-04-2008, 10:49 AM
But right now he is 10x's better then a certain player called Swisher.

And one half as good as Quentin, although both points have nothing do with with the conversation.

areilly
06-04-2008, 10:55 AM

He's actually about exactly as good as people make him out to be. His numbers are great, but so is his on-field approach and what he's introduced to the Cubs offense. In a way, it reminds me of the role Pods played in 2005 in changing players' perceptions of how a team can win.

I think the part that infuriates Sox fans is twofold:
1) He's everything Nick Swisher is not
2) He flat-out refused to play for the Sox even though they made the higher offer

Bummer for us, but I can't knock the guy for being embraced. That's not his fault.

balke
06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
He's actually about exactly as good as people make him out to be. His numbers are great, but so is his on-field approach and what he's introduced to the Cubs offense. In a way, it reminds me of the role Pods played in 2005 in changing players' perceptions of how a team can win.

I think the part that infuriates Sox fans is twofold:
1) He's everything Nick Swisher is not
2) He flat-out refused to play for the Sox even though they made the higher offer

Bummer for us, but I can't knock the guy for being embraced. That's not his fault.

3 homeruns
5 SB's
13 Doubles
.400 OBP
.300 Avg

People think he's all-star worthy, so no he's not as good as they think he is. There's a lot of guys in the NL having much better seasons as OFers. But, instead you'll see a guy playing out of position in CF because he's got a funny name and was a god in another country where the talent isn't as rich as the MLB, and he's been injected into one of the dumbest fan bases in baseball who think hype magnifies results.

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Fair enough. The AS voting pisses me off too

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 11:26 AM
3 homeruns
5 SB's
13 Doubles
.400 OBP
.300 Avg

People think he's all-star worthy, so no he's not as good as they think he is. There's a lot of guys in the NL having much better seasons as OFers. But, instead you'll see a guy playing out of position in CF because he's got a funny name and was a god in another country where the talent isn't as rich as the MLB, and he's been injected into one of the dumbest fan bases in baseball who think hype magnifies results.

You name .300 AVG and .400 OBP like they're something to sneeze at.

His 800-something OPS isn't mindpopping, but OPS is flawed b/c it underrates OBP--something Fukudome excels at

balke
06-04-2008, 11:28 AM
You name .300 AVG and .400 OBP like they're something to sneeze at.

His 800-something OPS isn't mindpopping, but OPS is flawed b/c it underrates OBP--something Fukudome excels at

Yet you are dogging Swisher in the same thread, who's a career OBP. machine.

Edit: nevermind, it wasn't you. But yeah I'm not terribly impressed by OBP. I think you need players that can do that, but they are really only super beneficial to teams with a great hitter or two behind them.

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Edit: nevermind, it wasn't you. But yeah I'm not terribly impressed by OBP. I think you need players that can do that, but they are really only super beneficial to teams with a great hitter or two behind them.

I like Swisher.

Anyway those who bash OBP bash it when players don't have a high BA. Fukudome has a high BA (.300's pretty darn good) AND a high OBP :shrug:

Anyway--the Cubs do have an number of good power hitters that can drive in Fukudome....it's not his fault he's hitting 5th or whatever

DumpJerry
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Fukudome plays RF. Rowand plays CF.

balke
06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I like Swisher.

Anyway those who bash OBP bash it when players don't have a high BA. Fukudome has a high BA (.300's pretty darn good) AND a high OBP :shrug:

Anyway--the Cubs do have an number of good power hitters that can drive in Fukudome....it's not his fault he's hitting 5th or whatever

A good player, yes. Above average? Yes. Top 10 OFer? no. Top 5 NL OFer? no. Top 10 NL Ofer? questionable.

I'd take the guy over Swisher, but that don't make him an all-star. I would change that tune if Swisher were producing what I thought he would this season though. 35+ Hr's and a .400 OBP.

areilly
06-04-2008, 11:42 AM
People think he's all-star worthy, so no he's not as good as they think he is.

He's a well-rounded offensive threat (7th in walks, 9th in OBP in addition to the .305 average) and a major driver for a high-profile, dominant team. He plays solid defense. Fans love him. That's pretty much the definition of an All-Star if I've ever heard one, even though the All-Star argument is bogus for the simple fact that if people even think a guy is All-Star worthy, he thereby becomes All-Star worthy. If 3 million people voted for Toby Hall, he'd be All-Star worthy.

That he's playing well while still transitioning from Japan to MLB is pretty impressive too. Yeah, I know, the Cubs have played a bunch of crap teams. So what? It's not like they made the schedule.

But, instead you'll see a guy playing out of position in CF

This is just a ridiculous complaint. Did you have a problem with Maggs as LF last year? Vlad in LF 2006 and CF 2002? Beltran as LF 2005? Is outfield positional purity really a part of All-Star Game voting? As a fan of an AL team, wouldn't you want the NL All-Star team to be stacked with guys playing out of position anyway?

balke
06-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Fukudome plays RF. Rowand plays CF.

Pay attention to the thread, Fukudome is being projected to play CF in the All-star game. And its been mentioned already that he's a RFer. Thus the comparisons to how he's not even the best RF option out there.

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 11:44 AM
A good player, yes. Above average? Yes. Top 10 OFer? no. Top 5 NL OFer? no. Top 10 NL Ofer? questionable.

I'd take the guy over Swisher, but that don't make him an all-star. I would change that tune if Swisher were producing what I thought he would this season though. 35+ Hr's and a .400 OBP.

Yes, the ASG system sucks...but to be fair it's not the "Best Players Game".

Fukudome is a bigger star than most every OFer in the national league...and it's not like it's undeservingly so...he's a very good defensive RFer and an excellent hitter--one of the better hitters in the NL :shrug:

TommyJohn
06-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, yeah... If you want Flubsessed, "the Cubs are going all the way!" talk, just open up a newspaper. Shockingly a White Sox message board isn't ready to call this a season on June 4. Likewise, when the Sox were steamrolling the league in 2005, you could get plenty of "they can't keep this up talk" from your local newspaper.

So true. How many stories did we see about the 2001 Mariners, the 1993
Giants, the 1995 Angels, 1969 Cubs, 1964 Phillies? There was at least one
about all of those teams. I am curious if we'll see stories about the 2001
Mariners. After all, they were managed by the same guy. At the very least
the papers should run some stories about the 1969 Cubs, for the sake of
editorial balance. No?

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
So true. How many stories did we see about the 2001 Mariners, the 1993
Giants, the 1995 Angels, 1969 Cubs, 1964 Phillies? There was at least one
about all of those teams. I am curious if we'll see stories about the 2001
Mariners. After all, they were managed by the same guy. At the very least
the papers should run some stories about the 1969 Cubs, for the sake of
editorial balance. No?

Your margins are pleasing to my eye

soxfan13
06-04-2008, 12:37 PM

I was dogging Swisher and I did say RIGHT NOW fukodome is 10x's better then Swisher.:tongue:

kittle42
06-04-2008, 12:59 PM

I hope you are equally pissed that Griffey is No. 3 in voting. Does he deserve to be there? No.

It's the stupid All-Star game. Every year as long as I can remember, undeserving players get voted in. hell, sometimes injured guys get voted in, like when Canseco was out the whole year and was voted starter. That's just what happens when the fans vote. If Nate McLouth was hitting .400 right now, he still wouldn't be in the Top 3, because he plays for Pittsburgh. If he played for the Cubs, Mets, Braves, or Dodgers, he'd likely be in the Top 3. That's just the way it is, and really, getting frustrated about it will not help - fan voting is what it is.

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I hope you are equally pissed that Griffey is No. 3 in voting. Does he deserve to be there? No.

It's the stupid All-Star game. Every year as long as I can remember, undeserving players get voted in. hell, sometimes injured guys get voted in, like when Canseco was out the whole year and was voted starter. That;s just what happens when the fans vote. If Nate McLouth was hitting .400 right now, he still wouldn't be in the Top 3, because he plays for Pittsburgh. If he played for the Cubs, Mets, Braves, or Dodgers, he's likely be in the Top 3. That's just the way it is, and really, getting frustrated about it will not help - fan voting is what it is.

It is what we thought it was

aryzner
06-04-2008, 01:08 PM
It is what we thought it was
If you wanna crown his ass, then you go and crown his ass!!

kittle42
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
If you wanna crown his ass, then you go and crown his ass!!

That's why we took the damn field!

Chrisaway
06-04-2008, 01:46 PM

patience....

But for now, patience...
Took the words right outta my mouth. Exactly what I'm doing.

JermaineDye05
06-04-2008, 03:52 PM
The Cubs do have a good team, however they have had some favorable schedule for sometime now. After this series with the Padres and then a series with the Dodgers, they have played 21 straight games against teams under .500. however they're beating the teams they should beat much like our sox, who have taken it to Detroit, Cleveland, and Seattle. The Sox however have done ok against real good teams, as a result of an inconsistent offense. IF the offense can be consistent and back our pitchers we will be much better. The Cubs and Sox are almost opposites in a way, the Sox have a damn good pitching rotation with a mediocre offense and vice versa with the Cubs. Each team appears to be getting better as the season goes on. We're both in first place and both playing good baseball, the Cubs better but you have to think that schedule has helped them a bit.

veeter
06-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Just say, boy are the Sox held to a high standard when first place is just not enough. Trust me my friend, it will not end well for the cubs.

white sox bill
06-04-2008, 05:13 PM

patience....

But for now, patience...

Yes! Revenge is a dish best served cold....the quoted also works in the arena of seduction. Anyway, great stuff!

PennStater98r
06-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Ye of little faith! Do I need mention 2003 - Alou/Bartman. The baseball Gods hate the Cubs which is why so many people love them.

I predict failure and disappointment in the Cubs fans' future - and know what? I'm not going out on a limb here. Everyone knows that - including Cubs fans. That's why they gloat while it's good. They know they are doomed to another 2003 or 1984 or 1969... Need I go on?

MarySwiss
06-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Just say, boy are the Sox held to a high standard when first place is just not enough. Trust me my friend, it will not end well for the cubs.

Exactly! What do people want? There's something higher than first place?

Okay, of course we should have a much larger lead, given our pitching which has been stellar, and yes, it's still early, but c'mon, people!!! ENJOY!!

(Although I must admit in all fairness that I was borderline psychotic when I wrote Sunday's TBGR. This too shall pass!)

cws05champ
06-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Pay attention to the thread, Fukudome is being projected to play CF in the All-star game. And its been mentioned already that he's a RFer. Thus the comparisons to how he's not even the best RF option out there.
I hope the NL fields a bunch players that are not worthy...I want the AL to win in case the Sox make the Series this year.:smile:

gaelhound
06-04-2008, 08:34 PM

patience....

But for now, patience...
I think we have a winner!:D:

areilly
06-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Ye of little faith! Do I need mention 2003 - Alou/Bartman. The baseball Gods hate the Cubs which is why so many people love them.

I predict failure and disappointment in the Cubs fans' future - and know what? I'm not going out on a limb here. Everyone knows that - including Cubs fans. That's why they gloat while it's good. They know they are doomed to another 2003 or 1984 or 1969... Need I go on?

I hate this line of thinking. Hate hate HATE it.

There are no baseball gods. There is no curse. There is no doom. To quote a great movie, "no fate but what we make." If the Cubs keep playing well more than they play poorly, they will win. That's pretty much all there is to it.

People don't love the Cubs because they failed; people love the Cubs because they've been convinced the Cubs failure was important in and of itself. Consider them an inverse Yankees, and consider also that 2003, 1984, 1969 et al have as much to do with this year's Cubs as the 1959 White Sox had to do with the 2005 edition. And to quote another great movie, "I don't like it any more than he does."

I want them to lose. In fact, I hope they do. Badly. But I am not pinning my hopes to curses and superstitions. Only a fool ties his sporting dreams to such nonsense.

kittle42
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM

There are no baseball gods. There is no curse. There is no doom. To quote a great movie, "no fate but what we make." If the Cubs keep playing well more than they play poorly, they will win. That's pretty much all there is to it.

People don't love the Cubs because they failed; people love the Cubs because they've been convinced the Cubs failure was important in and of itself. Consider them an inverse Yankees, and consider also that 2003, 1984, 1969 et al have as much to do with this year's Cubs as the 1959 White Sox had to do with the 2005 edition. And to quote another great movie, "I don't like it any more than he does."

I want them to lose. In fact, I hope they do. Badly. But I am not pinning my hopes to curses and superstitions. Only a fool ties his sporting dreams to such nonsense.

Amen. But idiotic curses are what makes them so lovable.

Cuck the Fubs
06-05-2008, 12:08 AM

BAH! How else could you explain 100 years without a Championship:?:

turners56
06-05-2008, 10:38 AM
There goes their 9 game winning streak. The Cubs finally won a road series for once!

Jerome
06-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't see anyone in the NL really stopping them this year, unless their bats go silent again in the playoffs or another team gets hot Rockies style.

I've conceded them the pennant but they would have their hands more than full with the Red Sox or a healthy Angels in the WS. And if it was a 1906 rematch, Our "Hitless Wonders" would not go down without a fight either.

They haven't done **** yet besides look very impressive against mostly average competition, primarily at home. That offense though is really something to behold - everyone is clicking it seems like. (Besides last night)

balke
06-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't see anyone in the NL really stopping them this year, unless their bats go silent again in the playoffs or another team gets hot Rockies style.

I've conceded them the pennant but they would have their hands more than full with the Red Sox or a healthy Angels in the WS. And if it was a 1906 rematch, Our "Hitless Wonders" would not go down without a fight either.

They haven't done **** yet besides look very impressive against mostly average competition, primarily at home. That offense though is really something to behold - everyone is clicking it seems like. (Besides last night)

I find that funny, since the Mets Arizona and Philly are around. By season's end, the Cubs don't want to go into the playoffs and see Santana/Wagner in Game 1.

areilly
06-05-2008, 11:21 AM
I find that funny, since the Mets Arizona and Philly are around. By season's end, the Cubs don't want to go into the playoffs and see Santana/Wagner in Game 1.

I don't want to alarm you, and you're really killing me by forcing me to point out positives about the Cubs, but don't you think it's just as likely the Mets would be just as worried about facing Zambo/Marmol in that same game?

JB98
06-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Why are people even talking about the Mets? That club is so overrated and dysfunctional, it's sick.

To me, the Phillies look like the class of the NL East. They have a 35-26 record, and they've gotten through a period where both Rollins and Victorino were on the disabled list.

I can't believe people are conceding the pennant to the Cubs. I think Philadelphia, St. Louis and Arizona are all legitimate contenders. There are 100 games left and a lot can happen.

Just because Cubs fans are assuring you that this is their year doesn't make it so.

Cuck the Fubs
06-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't want to alarm you, and you're really killing me by forcing me to point out positives about the Cubs, but don't you think it's just as likely the Mets would be just as worried about facing Zambo/Marmol in that same game?

How did that work out for them in Game 1 vs. the D'Backs last year?

areilly
06-05-2008, 12:17 PM
How did that work out for them in Game 1 vs. the D'Backs last year?

They lost (hallelujah!), but Zambo didn't do too badly. I don't know why Sweet Lou decided to start managing for Game 4, but I'm glad he did. Still, 3-1 is not exactly a homicide.

Also, that was the 2007 D-Backs, not the 2008 Mets. If we're going to use that as the definitive guide to this year - especially this far into the season - then hey, whoa, watch out because the Rockies are going to kick some unprecedented amounts of ass come September and the Sox are going 40-64 the rest of the way.

:?:

Foulke You
06-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Why are people even talking about the Mets? That club is so overrated and dysfunctional, it's sick.

To me, the Phillies look like the class of the NL East. They have a 35-26 record, and they've gotten through a period where both Rollins and Victorino were on the disabled list.

I can't believe people are conceding the pennant to the Cubs. I think Philadelphia, St. Louis and Arizona are all legitimate contenders. There are 100 games left and a lot can happen.

Just because Cubs fans are assuring you that this is their year doesn't make it so.
Amen brother.

balke
06-05-2008, 03:42 PM

The best pitcher in this era with one of if not the best closer in this era, versus a headcase and a young closer in the playoffs? No they won't be as scared.

Go look at some of Santana's stats. His ERA always goes down as the season moves forward. Sept/Oct. he's 2.75 ERA in the AL.

balke
06-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Pedro is back and looks healthy, Maine is looking better out there, Santana will get better. The bats are heating up, Beltran and Reyes are producing finally. The Mets are coming. I wouldn't count them out of anything.

palehozenychicty
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Pedro is back and looks healthy, Maine is looking better out there, Santana will get better. The bats are heating up, Beltran and Reyes are producing finally. The Mets are coming. I wouldn't count them out of anything.

They're definitely not done yet, but in my mind, they are too passive to go all the way.

areilly
06-05-2008, 04:39 PM
The best pitcher in this era with one of if not the best closer in this era, versus a headcase and a young closer in the playoffs? No they won't be as scared.

Go look at some of Santana's stats. His ERA always goes down as the season moves forward. Sept/Oct. he's 2.75 ERA in the AL.

Go look at some of Zambrano's stats, specifically against the Mets' big bats. If you honestly think they're going to be the ruiners of Cubbie hopes this year, be my guest, but I think you're putting too much stock in that specific team while grossly undervaluing the Cubs.

And if we're going to be irresponsible enough to start predicting game one of an NLDS that's four months away and whose seeding and participants have yet to be determined, why would it be out of the question for the Cubs to beat Santana? Not a shelling or anything, just a regular 3-2 type win? Is it really that hard to admit the 2008 Cubs are playing well and just might be the real thing?

Cuck the Fubs
06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Is it really that hard to admit the 2008 Cubs are playing well and just might be the real thing?

No it's not........however, I will tell you what I see/think.

The current Cubs team reminds me very much of the slugging Indians teams in the mid to late 90's. They would destroy teams with their offense throughout the regular season. Much like the Cubs are doing now, like any good team they are pummeling the lower competition. They could easily win 100 games if things fall right.

However, outside of Zambrano their starting pitching is weak, and by my estimation, nowhere championship caliber. This is where, if per sey they draw the Mets or D Backs in that opening short 5 gamer they could find them selves out of it very quickly. Let's say Wood goes down, the bridge to Wood ( Marmol ) becomes the closer, but who is the new bridge?

Battering teams will get you in no doubt, but pitching is what is going to win it...and they just don't have the horses as of right now. They are an offensive force to be reckoned with, and a good team, just not a World Series champion.

kittle42
06-05-2008, 04:58 PM
No it's not........however, I will tell you what I see/think.

The current Cubs team reminds me very much of the slugging Indians teams in the mid to late 90's. They would destroy teams with their offense throughout the regular season. Much like the Cubs are doing now, like any good team they are pummeling the lower competition. They could easily win 100 games if things fall right.

However, outside of Zambrano their starting pitching is weak, and by my estimation, nowhere championship caliber. This is where, if per sey they draw the Mets or D Backs in that opening short 5 gamer they could find them selves out of it very quickly. Let's say Wood goes down, the bridge to Wood ( Marmol ) becomes the closer, but who is the new bridge?

Battering teams will get you in no doubt, but pitching is what is going to win it...and they just don't have the horses as of right now. They are an offensive force to be reckoned with, and a good team, just not a World Series champion.

They might have enough to trade for a No. 2 starter in July, and if they do, cue DJ with the...."Uh, ohhhhhhhhh."

Cuck the Fubs
06-05-2008, 05:00 PM
They might have enough to trade for a No. 2 starter in July, and if they do, cue DJ with the...."Uh, ohhhhhhhhh."

What can they part with? They pretty much kinda need all the parts they have at the moment.

Unless you refer to some of their pitching in the minors.....but I'm not sure that could land them a big horse.

kittle42
06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
What can they part with? They pretty much kinda need all the parts they have at the moment.

Unless you refer to some of their pitching in the minors.....but I'm not sure that could land them a big horse.

Well, you have to give something to get something (unless you're trading Choi or B. Hill)....

Let's say, if their offense holds up like it has, they consider trading Theriot for a front-linish starter? They could live with Cedeno in the lineup every day and move Fukudome to No. 2.

PennStater98r
06-05-2008, 06:08 PM

Far to literal a reading into my post dude...

I suppose if I said that I love the X-files because of its handling of paranormal instances that have been investigated over the last thirty years - you'd tell me how much you hate that logic b/c there is no such thing as vampires or Loch Ness monsters.

Listen - I love Christmas because of Santa Claus and Easter because of the Easter Bunny. Around Christmas, I'd even go so far as to say something like, "It's getting to be that time of year. I love it when Santa comes to town." That doesn't mean I am going to be looking to the skies for a sleigh pulled by flying reindeers, and it doesn't mean that I am going to cozy up on a fat man's lap who has a long white beard. However, it's safe to say that I love the impact that the concept of Santa has on children and the excitement brought on by the MYTH... (I suppose you hate hate hate that too and think Christmas might be about something else, right? :cool:)

That all said, I don't LITERALLY believe there are gods sitting in the heavens cracking their powers on a baseball team. You must be silly to dedicate so much time ranting about a whimsical statement made that celebrates the negative superstition that Cubs fans have. I suppose I could have posted my comment in teal. However, I didn't think I'd have to defend the previous post.

When I posted the rhetorical question about Loiza batting clean-up did you think you might need to spend some time telling me that, "A journeyman starting pitcher can't hit. I hate hate hate when people talk about pitchers changing over to hitters. Pitchers just don't often serve a useful purpose unless the pitch."

So, what have we learned? Well, we learned there is no such thing as Baseball Gods (am I getting dangerously into a religion discussion here?) We learned that fools like push-pin boards so that they can extract their hopes from their chest and stick them to the wall (literally).

. . . wait a minute. You can't pin a hope. That's silly. Hopes are not something that have physical form... I hate it when people talk about pinning hopes to something, because hopes are just ideas.

My point of the previous post was that the Cubs ****ing suck, and so do most of their fans. I suppose Cuck the Fubs has always said it best when referring to the Cubs - just by his namesake. Regardless of whether God exists - they always find a way to choke. Call it what you want - literal or conceptual. Personally, when the press starts talking about curses and choking and baseball gods and goats - I'll be laughing my ass off at the Cub fans that have to listen to it as they feel the burn, pain and agony of 101 years of baseball championship eluding them. I know those things are all cheap excuses to a run of bad luck and mismanagement that the Wrigley family and Tribune has bred for 100+ years, but ****... It's fun to talk about baseball gods, beer gods, beach gods and even God god and whether you, me, them or anyone is being smiled upon. But then again - so is watching Lost... BUT they shouldn't be lost on that island for years. SOMEONE SURELY WOULD HAVE FOUND THEM BY NOW.

I hate hate hate when a plane crashes on an island and people survive and then are not found by rescue teams. Listen... if a plane crashed on an island...

But know what? Seriously, in 2005 I did put my hands together a couple of times and asked something - to what ever it may be - God, baseball gods, pee wee herman - I dunno - something and I asked, "If never again, please this year!" And it made me feel better and gave me security.

PennStater98r
06-05-2008, 06:23 PM

Why? Wagner is a future hall of famer that is still pitching like he's in his prime. Marmol is a Mark Prior waiting to happen (just so we all understand what I mean - from a literal sense - he's already been crowned the best closer in the game by Cub fans even though he has yet to close a game with the title Closer next to his name). Santana is better than Zambrano eight days a week. I still think Santana's the best pitcher in baseball and now he's in the NL...

About the only thing Zambrano has on Santana is that he is better with a stick (and his temper).

That said, what have the Cubs pitching staff got outside of a #1 starter?

fquaye149
06-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Why? Wagner is a future hall of famer that is still pitching like he's in his prime. Marmol is a Mark Prior waiting to happen (just so we all understand what I mean - from a literal sense - he's already been crowned the best closer in the game by Cub fans even though he has yet to close a game with the title Closer next to his name). Santana is better than Zambrano eight days a week. I still think Santana's the best pitcher in baseball and now he's in the NL...

So what? Until Marmol gets hurt or chokes, his numbers over the last two years are every bit as good as Wagners--that includes ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9, etc.

He's been quite excellent.

About the only thing Zambrano has on Santana is that he is better with a stick (and his temper).Or his numbers this year!!!

And it's not like both pitchers aren't Cy Young candidates year in and year out

That said, what have the Cubs pitching staff got outside of a #1 starter?That said, who do the Mets (or any NL team) have outside their #1 starters and shutdown closers?

It's not like I think the Cubs will win the pennant, but to pooh pooh their players just because they're Cubs is sillier than being giddy on Cubbie Kool Aid

PennStater98r
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
So what? Until Marmol gets hurt or chokes, his numbers over the last two years are every bit as good as Wagners--that includes ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9, etc.

Or his numbers this year!!!

That said, who do the Mets (or any NL team) have outside their #1 starters and shutdown closers?

It's not like I think the Cubs will win the pennant, but to pooh pooh their players just because they're Cubs is sillier than being giddy on Cubbie Kool Aid

I don't poop on the Cubs because I am on Anti-Cub Kool Aid. I poop on the Cubs, because I had to go... I really had to go - and well - the Cubs are as good a thing as anything else to poop all over.

Listen - I'll take Billy Wagner and his Hall of Fame, consistant career over the kid that's been hot for a few months. I think in a five game series that Santana, Maine and Pedro (if he stays healthy) is a better option than Zambrano, Dempster and Lilly any day of the week. Two things about Zambrano - first, he's a head case. He won't be able to keep it together - we've all seen it time and again. He'll get hot for the regular season, but he always has had his head case part of the season. I hope he wins 25 games and throws 300 strikeouts - because that means he will not have suffered from his head case moment during the regular season - which means it will rear its ugly head in the post season. The second thing is that he has yet to win a Cy Young and Johan has two. I understand that Zambrano is their ace. I'm not drinking the Kool Aid. He's just not as Kool as Johan, Webb, Philly's line-up, or a healthy recovered Carpenter. And quite honestly - you guys are right - Met's would be the least of the Cubs worries should they make the play-offs. Because Webb, Haren, Johnson/Davis is looking like as good a 5 game series rotation as any right now in the NL. And you can bet they'll be trading for bullpen help.

TheOldRoman
06-05-2008, 08:12 PM
You are the typical Sox fan. The Cubs can win the rest of their games sweep thru the playoffs have their parade and somehow in your blurred flubsessed eyes they got lucky or really didnt beat the best teams. Give me a ****ing break!!!:?:
Maybe you missed this:Yep. I think the Cubs will tumble very far, even if they still win the division. Regardless, they are beating the ****ty teams right now, and you can't blame them for that. They will get tested before the season is over.I acknowledge in this post that while the Cubs have played the dregs of the NL (which is why nobody sane is crowning their ass yet), they will play better teams. The Cubs aren't going to play the Pirates 54 times this year.

Your statement is beyond ridiculous. This is a team who has won two road series this year, and you are throwing out hyperbole about them going undefeated to show that I disrespect the Cubs? GMAB.

I have seen my share of Cubs games over the last few years. Ted Lilly is nothing more than a mediocre pitcher, and he has already started his descent from last year. Marquis is really bad. Dempters hasn't thrown 200 innings in 6 years, and his ERA was over 6 his last year starting. You think he will be a workhorse for them? Their offense is very Walkerball-ish. They score in bunches, but also get shut down a lot. You can't judge them by how they looked in this recent hot streak. That is just like thinking the Sox are world beaters after they score 14 and then 9, which they would probably follow with a 1 run, 3 hit effort the next day.

And your "flubsessed" comment is asinine. It is like saying "I am so obsessed with the Cubs that I can't even pronounce their name without making a 3rd grade-level insult about them. Get it? You are the one who is obsessed!!"

PennStater98r
06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Maybe you missed this:I acknowledge in this post that while the Cubs have played the dregs of the NL (which is why nobody sane is crowning their ass yet), they will play better teams. The Cubs aren't going to play the Pirates 54 times this year.

Your statement is beyond ridiculous. This is a team who has won two road series this year, and you are throwing out hyperbole about them going undefeated to show that I disrespect the Cubs? GMAB.

I have seen my share of Cubs games over the last few years. Ted Lilly is nothing more than a mediocre pitcher, and he has already started his descent from last year. Marquis is really bad. Dempters hasn't thrown 200 innings in 6 years, and his ERA was over 6 his last year starting. You think he will be a workhorse for them? Their offense is very Walkerball-ish. They score in bunches, but also get shut down a lot. You can't judge them by how they looked in this recent hot streak. That is just like thinking the Sox are world beaters after they score 14 and then 9, which they would probably follow with a 1 run, 3 hit effort the next day.

And your "flubsessed" comment is asinine. It is like saying "I am so obsessed with the Cubs that I can't even pronounce their name without making a 3rd grade-level insult about them. Get it? You are the one who is obsessed!!"

Here, here Charles! I am tired of Sox fans praising the Cubs just to be PC - to prove were not "flubsessed."

areilly
06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Listen - I'll take Billy Wagner and his Hall of Fame, consistant career over the kid that's been hot for a few months. I think in a five game series that Santana, Maine and Pedro (if he stays healthy) is a better option than Zambrano, Dempster and Lilly any day of the week. Two things about Zambrano - first, he's a head case. He won't be able to keep it together - we've all seen it time and again. He'll get hot for the regular season, but he always has had his head case part of the season. I hope he wins 25 games and throws 300 strikeouts - because that means he will not have suffered from his head case moment during the regular season - which means it will rear its ugly head in the post season. The second thing is that he has yet to win a Cy Young and Johan has two. I understand that Zambrano is their ace. I'm not drinking the Kool Aid. He's just not as Kool as Johan, Webb, Philly's line-up, or a healthy recovered Carpenter. And quite honestly - you guys are right - Met's would be the least of the Cubs worries should they make the play-offs. Because Webb, Haren, Johnson/Davis is looking like as good a 5 game series rotation as any right now in the NL. And you can bet they'll be trading for bullpen help.

Are you kidding me? Hardware given out by sportswriters will determine this? I know WTS is the less-than-serious section of WSI, but your line of reasoning is just ridiculous. It's not about career vs. career. If it was, well, then a lot of teams that have already won the World Series never stood a chance, and a lot of great performances must not have happened. Jesus.

balke
06-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Go look at some of Zambrano's stats, specifically against the Mets' big bats. If you honestly think they're going to be the ruiners of Cubbie hopes this year, be my guest, but I think you're putting too much stock in that specific team while grossly undervaluing the Cubs.

And if we're going to be irresponsible enough to start predicting game one of an NLDS that's four months away and whose seeding and participants have yet to be determined, why would it be out of the question for the Cubs to beat Santana? Not a shelling or anything, just a regular 3-2 type win? Is it really that hard to admit the 2008 Cubs are playing well and just might be the real thing?

I don't discount the Cubs as a good team who is looking playoff calibur at this moment in the season. I don't think they are as good as the Mets though, record and all. The Mets have a great team, and I think its going to be a test for the Cubs to see if Dempster doesn't wear down towards the end of the season.

Don't get me wrong, I also expected this kind of season from Dempster, but I think it'll be a test for him to bounce back 100% as a starter and last all season at this level.

So yeah, Zambrano, Lilly, Dempster or Santana, Maine, Pedro...

I'lll take the Mets to bounce back. I wouldn't be surprised to see them acquire a pitcher at the break either.

soxfan13
06-06-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't poop on the Cubs because I am on Anti-Cub Kool Aid. I poop on the Cubs, because I had to go... I really had to go - and well - the Cubs are as good a thing as anything else to poop all over.

Did you miss what Marmol did last year?:?: Im not saying he is a future HOF'er but to say hes only been good for 2 months is simply wrong.

Maybe you missed this:I acknowledge in this post that while the Cubs have played the dregs of the NL (which is why nobody sane is crowning their ass yet), they will play better teams. The Cubs aren't going to play the Pirates 54 times this year.

Im not judging them by their recent hot streak. I have been judging them since spring training and they are a very good team. How can you assume that Dempster isnt the real deal? You are basing your assumptions on something from 6 years ago when he was pitching hurt. Thats the same as most everybody (including me) saying Contreras is washed up and done because of what he did last year. Look at what he is doing now.

Here, here Charles! I am tired of Sox fans praising the Cubs just to be PC - to prove were not "flubsessed."

This has nothing to do with being PC or proving Im not flubsessed. It has to do with the fact that I wont ignore a good team and try to make up reasons as to why they are horrible,just because they wear Cubbie blue.

champagne030
06-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Im not judging them by their recent hot streak. I have been judging them since spring training and they are a very good team. How can you assume that Dempster isnt the real deal? You are basing your assumptions on something from 6 years ago when he was pitching hurt. Thats the same as most everybody (including me) saying Contreras is washed up and done because of what he did last year. Look at what he is doing now.

Dumpster is doing things he has never come close to doing at any point in his career. I'll take that 10 year track record over two months. :shrug:

balke
06-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Dumpster is doing things he has never come close to doing at any point in his career. I'll take that 10 year track record over two months. :shrug:

I'd be careful there. In 2000 he was 3.66 with 209 K's. 14-10 with 226 IP

But, I do agree that doesn't match his current pace.

PennStater98r
06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I'd be careful there. In 2000 he was 3.66 with 209 K's. 14-10 with 226 IP

But, I do agree that doesn't match his current pace.

What was his WHIP that year? What's his career WHIP and numbers.

Thing about a hot streak out of a guy that's a veteran that's never proved it before is that sooner or later they come back to earth and match their career numbers. He's playing so hot right now, that he'll hit a streak that will bring his season number closer to his career - and it will be a pretty bad streak. Wasn't someone on his case in his last start telling him to "just throw ****ing strikes. Just do it!"

Dumpster is ****. Prior had a higher ceiling then Marmol.

I've belong to this site for almost four years now (at least lurking here four years), and every year that the Cubs hit a good winning streak - some PC Sox fan comes out during that streak and reminds us that "those Cubbies can play some ball." And every year it ends in heartbreak for Cubs and Cub fans alike.

The Cubs have played the worst teams in the league this year. There's a reason that Dumpster has such good numbers. He's been pitching to washed up veterans and AAA prospects mixed in with a good player or two on each team that he's faced. Zambrano has stuff, but he's a hot headed ******* that loses it. Other than Zambrano, the Cubs are banking on 4 other pitchers to put in 2003 Loaiza numbers - washed up Journeymen that they overpaid for on the hope that one produced lightning in a bottle. That was Lilly last year. I don't think Dumpster, Lilly, Marquis and Hill/Gallagher/Leiber qualify as a good #4 starter much less a 2 and 3 starter. That's not being a Sox fan that refuses to recognize good baseball. It's a realist that thinks with his own mind and analysis instead of listening to everything ESPN says.

jonred
06-06-2008, 10:10 AM

About the only thing Zambrano has on Santana is that he is better with a stick (and his temper).

That said, what have the Cubs pitching staff got outside of a #1 starter?

So you're predicting an injury for a guy who hasn't been hurt (Marmol), yet believe that two oft-injured pitchers will recover to the once dominant form (Pedro and Carpenter). That's a stretch, don't you think. You won't get an argument from me (as a Cubs fan) that Santana is better than Z, but you can count on one hand better NL starters than Z right now, and Dempster is also having an all-star worthy season (whether that will continue, who knows).

kittle42
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM

Or his numbers this year!!!

Zambrano's a head case. We wouldn't want him on the Sox.

Fukudome sucks. Where are his power numbers? I'm much happier we have Swisher.

Aramis Ramirez is horrible coimpared to Joe Crede. He's a stat padder and a wreck defensively.

Dempster is a sucky converted closer and all his wins and sub-3 ERA mean nothing.

Geovany Soto is on steroids.

Did I miss anything?

jonred
06-06-2008, 11:30 AM
The Cubs have played the worst teams in the league this year.

You do realize that the Cubs have the 10th toughest SOS (based on opponent winning percentage) in baseball......and are tied with the White Sox at .499. I would say that both teams being in the top third and in first place is rather impressive.

balke
06-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Zambrano's a head case. We wouldn't want him on the Sox.

Fukudome sucks. Where are his power numbers? I'm much happier we have Swisher.

Aramis Ramirez is horrible coimpared to Joe Crede. He's a stat padder and a wreck defensively.

Dempster is a sucky converted closer and all his wins and sub-3 ERA mean nothing.

Geovany Soto is on steroids.

Did I miss anything?

Cubs are good. Conceding the pennant to them? "Believing"? I think its pretty early and foolish. There are other good teams in the NL as well.

soxpride724
06-06-2008, 11:51 AM
I still like the Mets in the NL. It's early so give em time, I'm tired of theese so called "Experts" (ESPN) writing off teams in June. The D-Backs are my second choice for the N.L with the Cubs a close third.

Iwritecode
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
My point of the previous post was that the Cubs ****ing suck, and so do most of their fans. I suppose Cuck the Fubs has always said it best when referring to the Cubs - just by his namesake. Regardless of whether God exists - they always find a way to choke. Call it what you want - literal or conceptual.

There were plenty of people saying this about the Red Sox in 2004. And the White Sox in 2005...

kittle42
06-06-2008, 02:57 PM
There were plenty of people saying this about the Red Sox in 2004. And the White Sox in 2005...

The Cubs will eventually win a World Series. I just hope it isn't any time in the near future.

alohafri
06-07-2008, 08:40 AM
If you want a good laugh, read the letter titled "Stop Favoring the White Sox" in the Cubune sports section.

Letters to the sports editor -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-07-viewsjun07,0,7442255.story)

DrCrawdad
06-07-2008, 08:55 AM
If you want a good laugh, read the letter titled "Stop Favoring the White Sox" in the Cubune sports section.

Letters to the sports editor -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-07-viewsjun07,0,7442255.story)

Just remember as Cubbie fans love to spout...

* Cubbies fans don't care about the Sox.

* When the Cubbies do well, Cubbie fans pay even less attention to the Sox.

TommyJohn
06-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Just remember as Cubbie fans love to spout...

* Cubbies fans don't care about the Sox.

* When the Cubbies do well, Cubbie fans pay even less attention to the Sox.

I found the "Fire Guillen" and "Ship out slumping Sox" letters far funnier and
more entertaining.

Cuck the Fubs
06-07-2008, 09:06 AM

:?: I'm speechless :?:

rwcescato
06-07-2008, 01:22 PM
You do realize that the Cubs have the 10th toughest SOS (based on opponent winning percentage) in baseball......and are tied with the White Sox at .499. I would say that both teams being in the top third and in first place is rather impressive.

Except that we have played almost half our road games and the flubs have played the same amount of home games. That comparison puts us in a better position.

rwcescato
06-07-2008, 01:23 PM
:?: I'm speechless :?:

I did see that. I sure hope it was sarcasm there. If not thats sad.

JB98
06-07-2008, 01:44 PM

The letterwriter is from Amboy. The version of the paper they get out there doesn't ever include West Coast results. She doesn't obviously doesn't understand the reason her Cubbies didn't get that much play in the paper that day. Simply put, the game ended too late.

Just a foolish letter.

Cuck the Fubs
06-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I did see that. I sure hope it was sarcasm there. If not thats sad.

My bad, I left out the teal!:redface:

soxwon
06-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I am really gonna LOVE it, after both teams make the playoffs, and the Cubs get Eliminatted, and we go ALL THE WAY.
Im very serious my friends, i really feel we are DESTINED to win it all.
We are going to Runaway with the division, and Crush Boston LAA whomever we face.
Who see's it like me?

thomas35forever
06-07-2008, 04:47 PM
I am really gonna LOVE it, after both teams make the playoffs, and the Cubs get Eliminatted, and we go ALL THE WAY.
We are going to Runaway with the division, and Crush Boston LAA whomever we face.
Who see's it like me?
I think Da Rev is caffinated today.

illini81887
06-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Nice 7-3 lead for dodgers

turners56
06-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Who see's it like me?

I had a dream that we'll beat the A's in the ALCS 4-1.

turners56
06-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Nice 7-3 lead for dodgers

The Cubs' woes on the road continues.

MarySwiss
06-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Who see's it like me?

Sox/D'Backs World Series! Arizona Game One party is at my house! I'll provide the pool (unheated, but what do Chicagoans care?), hot tub, pool table, and dartboard. We can all pitch in for Rosati's Pizza. I'll buy the first case of Miller Lite; after that, contributions accepted.

All right; who's in?

turners56
06-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Sox/D'Backs World Series! Arizona Game One party is at my house! I'll provide the pool (unheated, but what do Chicagoans care?), hot tub, pool table, and dartboard. We can all pitch in for Rosati's Pizza. I'll buy the first case of Miller Lite; after that, contributions accepted.

All right; who's in?

That would be a great pitching dominated World Series.

manders_01
06-07-2008, 06:37 PM

All right; who's in?

I am! :bandance: Cause unless something miraculous happens in Denver, our previous discussions about the 08 Sox/Rox World Series party at my house isn't going to happen. :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
06-07-2008, 06:39 PM

All right; who's in?

Ahem, Mary! A bunch of us will be AT Game 1 of the World Series, since it WILL be at Comiskey Park. :cool:

Postgame party can be at my place! Everyone can park right in front, and we'll walk to the game. :)

PennStater98r
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
So you're predicting an injury for a guy who hasn't been hurt (Marmol), yet believe that two oft-injured pitchers will recover to the once dominant form (Pedro and Carpenter). That's a stretch, don't you think. You won't get an argument from me (as a Cubs fan) that Santana is better than Z, but you can count on one hand better NL starters than Z right now, and Dempster is also having an all-star worthy season (whether that will continue, who knows).

No sir - I was not predicting that Marmol would be injured. I was drawing the comparison to Cubs fans crowning him the best closer in the game (just as they crowned Prior the best pitcher in the game) before he really has had the opportunity to fill the role.

I just think that when you look at the teams that will be there in October (probably there) - it's the Mets, Cardinals and D-Backs. I know that Pedro and Carpenter have been hurt, however, I do think that Carpenter is a better pitcher than Z when he's healthy. And if he gets his rest, he could be ready for the playoffs - like Beckett was in '03. Pedro is a gamer and if he stays healthy - I think Pedro's still got the XP and talent to outduel Z - which is not relevant b/c he'll be facing Santana anyway.

gosox41
06-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Cubs are good. Conceding the pennant to them? "Believing"? I think its pretty early and foolish. There are other good teams in the NL as well.

There are? The Cubs and Phillies are the 2 best IMHO and I question the Phillies pitching.

Bob

Foulke You
06-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Back to the original topic of this thread. Just today, I had a Cub fan at work tell me that because they beat Roy Halladay and the Jays 2 of 3, the American League just "isn't that tough". I had yet another Cub fan tell me that their 45W-25L record means it is "spank time" for us this weekend. I hope the Rays sweep them at Tropicana and then we so the same at Wrigley. Cubs fans egos are inflated to record heights this season and they need to be knocked down a couple pegs.

OldRomanPizza
06-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Was listening to music radio this afternoon and they offered up some Cub trivia question. It was; "What year were the Cubs cursed by the goat?"

Chad Northside calls in and says "1908"

:redneck

DJ says a bunch of people have been texting in 1908 as well.

Dont even know their own history.:D:

JB98
06-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Back to the original topic of this thread. Just today, I had a Cub fan at work tell me that because they beat Roy Halladay and the Jays 2 of 3, the American League just "isn't that tough". I had yet another Cub fan tell me that their 45W-25L record means it is "spank time" for us this weekend. I hope the Rays sweep them at Tropicana and then we so the same at Wrigley. Cubs fans egos are inflated to record heights this season and they need to be knocked down a couple pegs.

American League teams went 12-2 tonight in interleague action. Tell that to your Cub fan friend who thinks the league "isn't that tough."

whitesoxfan
06-18-2008, 01:17 AM

Trash-talking was cool when I was 13.

johnnyg83
06-19-2008, 12:20 AM
My response is always: I hope you guys win it if we don't. Because the feeling of winning it all is indescribable and I hope every person gets to experience it. It's better than I though it'd be and I had high expectations.

It may be tough to stomach when you say it, but long-term you can't lose. They fail and you can gaze on them conscendingly. They win and you can gaze on them condescendingly: a la I wish you would have had the three extra years with it that I had.

DrCrawdad
06-19-2008, 12:30 AM
American League teams went 12-2 tonight in interleague action. Tell that to your Cub fan friend who thinks the league "isn't that tough."

The AL Central has a 25-16 record so far this year in interleague games.

AZChiSoxFan
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM

All right; who's in?

I'm in. But, how about Salerno's instead of Rosati's?