PDA

View Full Version : 2 months down, 4 to go...

doublem23
06-02-2008, 09:40 AM
OK, the Sox have completed about 35% of the 2008 season. We're currently 30-26, 1st place in the Central division, but not without some faults.

Where do you see this team going?

The poll is public, so be prepared to back up/take heat for your choice.

aryzner
06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
If the people who are supposed to be hitting start hitting, the division could very well be ours.

If not... I really can't say but I don't feel good about it.

oeo
06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
If there was another team in the division that showed even an ounce of life, I'd say not very far. Since the Sox (even with their faults) currently look like the best team in the division, they should make the postseason. Anything can happen after that.

Cuck the Fubs
06-02-2008, 09:43 AM
If the people who are supposed to be hitting start hitting, the division could very well be ours.

If these guys start hitting, the White Sox will win more than the division.

Hitmen77
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM

I totally agree.

veeter
06-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I voted, playoffs but no title. However, with a good/ lucky deadline move that helps the offense, it could get interesting. With the pitching, no team would want to face the Sox in the post season.

White City
06-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Take it from someone who lives in metro Atlanta -- this is one of those Braves teams that wins a weaker division and lays an egg in the playoffs. It'll be nice to have a division banner, but no big prize. Still, after last year, I'll take it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Take it from someone who lives in metro Atlanta -- this is one of those Braves teams that wins a weaker division and lays an egg in the playoffs. It'll be nice to have a division banner, but no big prize. Still, after last year, I'll take it.

After last year, agreed - but considering we had 90 wins in 06 and fell short of making the postseason, I will definitely take it.

MCHSoxFan
06-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Here is my take: We have had a tough schedule to play. We did pretty good. We are in 1st place even WITHOUT good hitting and WITHOUT a schedule that for the most-part favors us. So, if we start hitting this month and with the good schedule, we can really run right into the postseason. And, if we have good momentum going I to July, that would be really good because we have a lot of homes game then too. This really would be the PERFECT time to be clicking on ALL cylinders. Lastly, I said we would WIN the WS. I only said this because I believe we can get there. However, I am a little unsure about winning or not. We can for sure get there because we can actually beat Rays, we played the Angels pretty good in LA, and Boston could go either way. Remember, this is how we played WIHOUT clutch hitting. But, because we play an N.L. team, I said win it all. Plus, I mean, that is what I want!!! :D:

soltrain21
06-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I said we would make the playoffs. If our guys started to hit we would have about a ten game lead right now.

balke
06-02-2008, 11:07 AM
The pitching has been lights out this season. That means that the poor hitting has really blown a lot of wins for this team. Baseball being a game of averages, I would have to assume that the hitting gets better, and unfortunately that the pitching gets worse whether by injury of mental lapse.

I think if the pitching stays the Sox win the division. The hitters will hit eventually I think. Its painful to keep saying it with no results, but I keep the belief. It may not be for another month, but this team will hit on all cylinders at one point, and if the pitching is there they will be in the playoffs.

soltrain21
06-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I think if the pitching stays the Sox win the division. The hitters will hit eventually I think. Its painful to keep saying it with no results, but I keep the belief. It may not be for another month, but this team will hit on all cylinders at one point, and if the pitching is there they will be in the playoffs.

I don't buy that, "Just wait till we hit out stride" crap.

balke
06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't buy that, "Just wait till we hit out stride" crap.

Swisher lifetime : .250
Thome Lifetime: .280
Konerko Lifetime: .278

These guys are all hugging .200 right now. Those numbers are all going to go up at least .040 by season end, on avg. I'd say .060. I don't think there's ever been a team that had that kind of talent that hit that way all season long.

And its not "wait til we hit our stride". The Sox are in 1st place already. They do have a stride coming though. The question is, will the pitching be around when they find it?

thomas35forever
06-02-2008, 11:20 AM
The playoffs are a realistic goal, but at this point, we'd be lucky to get past the Rays.

hose
06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
The hitting might pick up the rest of the way but I think the pitching will come back to earth.

The pitching staff has been stressed to the max with game on the line with every ab. I think this will play a role as the weather warms up and AL hitting gets back in the groove.

As a life long Sox fan I find myself having no confidence in this team. I'm not a dark clouder but this team outside of TCQ isn't much fun to watch. A station to station team that strikes out a lot just isn't my cup of tea.

1-0, 2-1 games might be exciting if you have base stealing, hit and runs, bunting, sacrificing, pinch hitting, double switching, but that isn't White Sox baseball. We have slow base cloggers that can't even score from second on a base hit or put down a bunt if their lives depended on it.

Oustide of homers this team flat out sucks when it comes to hitting.

I fully understand Ozzie's rant even though it was poorly timed.

JB98
06-02-2008, 01:16 PM
The Sox will stay in the race until the end, but I don't believe they will make the playoffs as currently constructed.

These guys say they are "pressing" now, while in first place on June 2. How are they ever going to handle the pressure of a tight pennant race in September?

We have a championship-level pitching staff. Unfortunately, we have a lineup full of mental cripples who cannot do anything in clutch situations.

serena
06-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I voted playoffs, no series, but I hope they prove me wrong!

The bats will wake up and the pitching is already there. Hopefully Ozzie's latest mediastorm will focus attention on him and let the team do its thing.

Domeshot17
06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I said make the playoffs but not the World Series. We only have half the equation figured out. What wins in the playoffs? Pitching (Check) Defense (Check) Bullpen (at times) Timely Hitting (Nope). You look at our world series run, we could win any kind of game. We moved along runs (game 4 world series), hit the big home runs when we needed them (Konerko-Pods-Iguchi vs Boston), and we got the big hits late in the game (Joe Crede).

This year, we live and die by the 3 run home run. There is no timely hitting at all, we are leaving a small nation on the bases. On top of it, we have pissed away a chance to completely bury Cleveland and Detroit.

That is honestly my biggest concern. You have 2 GREAT teams in Cleveland and Detroit who really stumbled out of the gates. We had a chance to end them by June, but we let them linger. If we end up losing the division by 2-3 games, we are really going to be kicking ourselves.

whitesox901
06-02-2008, 02:29 PM
If these guys start hitting, the White Sox will win more than the division.

I agree, 100%

getonbckthr
06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I dont see the offense picking up and eventually one of the other 4 teams will capitalize.

kittle42
06-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I dont see the offense picking up and eventually one of the other 4 teams will capitalize.

Hey, hey...we agree! I picked in the race, but no playoffs. In my opinion, even if the offense does pick up, the pitching may go south at least enough to offset it. Yes, I have nothing to base this on other than my gut, but that's what I feel. It will also hurt the Sox that they don't have anything to trade to a fire-sale team in July, even if 1 or 2 guys could get us over the hump.

Prediction: we'll be sitting around in September wishing we had a few more runs in May.

whitesox901
06-02-2008, 03:07 PM

If they can get it togther? then why cant we

PicktoCLick72
06-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Because the season is a lready over for this Sox team. It's useless to hope for anything else.

Railsplitter
06-03-2008, 07:43 AM
The way Sox are playing now, along with the fact the somewhat feeble division, the Sox be competitive until Septemeber, but won't make the post season.

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2008, 07:58 AM
They're going all the way, baby! There's no point in predicting otherwise! :D:

June will be a good month.

The hitters will get well with home cooking, home routines and warm weather at the Cell.

They will beef up their win totals against weaker clubs like KC, DET, COL, PIT and LAD.

Games with the Cubs are never predictable; the fact that the Cubs are playing well is meaningless. I think they split 3-3.

They go into July with more three at home v. CLE (who we've owned at home) and four with OAK, before taking a trip to KC for three and TEX for three more. Then comes the four-day All-Star Break, then three more with KC and TEX each at the Cell.

The only upcoming series that has me concerned is the four gamer in the baggie dome, July 28-31.

June and July should see the Sox build a substantial lead in the division that will come in handy when things get tough in August and September.

Bucky F. Dent
06-03-2008, 08:11 AM
We'll win the division on the strength of our pitching alone.

If we ever figure out how to clone TCQ, we could make some noise in the playoffs.

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2008, 08:23 AM
It's too early to pin down a choice here. I would say that No. 1 or No. 2 are most likely.