PDA

View Full Version : Holliday or Atkins

thomas35forever
06-01-2008, 11:45 PM
With the Rockies having the worst record baseball and highly unlikely to go on the tear they did last year, is it possible that KW will try and make a move for one of these guys?

Holliday would definitely be a better option in center than Swisher at this point. We could possibly acquire him for BA and Jerry Owens and move Quentin to center.

An Atkins for Crede and/or Fields deal doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would make sense to move Fields somewhere else if this deal got done. Crede would have a place to play out the remainder of the season before Boras listens to offers from other teams.

As for the Sox, bot are good young players that would give us reason to be optimistic about the future. What do you say?

y2j2785
06-01-2008, 11:59 PM
well Holliday is on the DL right now as are 2 of their other good hitters in Hawpe and Tulowitski

thomas35forever
06-01-2008, 11:59 PM
well Holliday is on the DL right now as are 2 of their other good hitters in Hawpe and Tulowitski
Whoops, forgot about that part.:redface:

DSpivack
06-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Let's see, as far as I know, Holliday is a superstar who has also never played a lick of CF. You also think Atkins for Crede (a free agent at the end of the season) or Fields would be a realistic trade option.

thedudeabides
06-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Holliday is barely a good left fielder. Him or Quentin in center would be a nightmare defensively.

Optipessimism
06-02-2008, 12:52 AM
We could possibly acquire him for BA and Jerry Owens and move Quentin to center.
LOL

UofCSoxFan
06-02-2008, 01:06 AM
I for one am truly looking forward to the day after the trade deadline.

QCIASOXFAN
06-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Holliday would definitely be a better option in center than Swisher at this point. We could possibly acquire him for BA and Jerry Owens and move Quentin to center.

Just BA and Owens for Matt Holliday? So what's in it for the Rockies?:scratch:

Jjav829
06-02-2008, 07:17 AM
We could possibly acquire him for BA and Jerry Owens and move Quentin to center.

I don't know, I think they might request Juan Uribe to be added in this deal. :rolleyes:

We don't have what it would take to acquire Holliday if the Rockies do decide to trade him.

Jjav829
06-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Just BA and Owens for Matt Holliday? So what's in it for the Rockies?:scratch:

The chance to trade their best player, who happens to be one of the best players in the majors, for two outfielders who are barely major leaguers. Sounds like a bargain for them!

cws05champ
06-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Where would Holliday play?

It would have to be Atkins, but then Crede would have to be traded(and no the rockies would not take him on). Unless there is another team that has an injury and needs a 3B, I don't see that happening either. Atkins hits for avg and power...so he would be a good pick up but I don't think we have the horses to get a deal done.

Rocky Soprano
06-02-2008, 07:27 AM
With the Rockies having the worst record baseball and highly unlikely to go on the tear they did last year, is it possible that KW will try and make a move for one of these guys?

An Atkins for Crede and/or Fields deal doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would make sense to move Fields somewhere else if this deal got done. Crede would have a place to play out the remainder of the season before Boras listens to offers from other teams.

As for the Sox, bot are good young players that would give us reason to be optimistic about the future. What do you say?

Quit the drugs my friend.

VenturaFan23
06-02-2008, 07:36 AM
We could possibly acquire him for BA and Jerry Owens

:o: I'm speechless

WhiteSox5187
06-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Bring back Pods!!!

veeter
06-02-2008, 09:11 AM
How about some speed in the DH role? Bat him lead-off and let Thome and Paulie fight for at-bats.

manders_01
06-02-2008, 09:28 AM
:rolling: Oh my God - thank you for putting a smile on my face on Monday morning.

Holliday is not going anywhere - on the DL or not. Aside from Helton, he is the face of the Rockies. We don't have anyone that would be remotely close to being a trade that would benefit both teams, never mind two or three people that would fill his shoes. I could never see the Rockies going for a trade for him.

Atkins for Crede is more reasonable but again, I think it would take more than Joe for the Rockies to go for it. Atkins will get out of his hitting slump and prior to going 1 for his last 20 ABs, he was batting in the high 330s. I think they are both defensively about the same with Joe maybe coming out on top there. But seeing as how they're both a little better than average on the field, hitting is where they prove their value. Currently, that puts Atkins value higher, even in a slump.

areilly
06-02-2008, 10:20 AM

I thought BA was being sent to Baltimore as part of the Uribe-for-Roberts deal.

oeo
06-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Are you talking about Mat Holiday, or Matt Holliday?

russ99
06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
The other issue is that Holliday is a Boras client. Which is why the Rockies fans should be worried about losing him in a few years.

Unless the Sox have a change of heart and vastly overpay for him on the FA market, we won't be getting him.

oeo
06-02-2008, 10:45 AM
The other issue is that Holliday is a Boras client. Which is why the Rockies fans should be worried about losing him in a few years.

Unless the Sox have a change of heart and vastly overpay for him on the FA market, we won't be getting him.

Since when are the Rockies afraid to throw out the big contract? He's a Rockie, and he'll stay a Rockie.

DSpivack
06-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Are you talking about Mat Holiday, or Matt Holliday?

I believe he was actually talking about Carlyle Holliday.

turners56
06-02-2008, 11:12 AM
We'd have to give up what we gave up for Swisher and more for Holliday, the Rockies aren't stupid. As for Atkins, the guy is built for Coors, he sucks everywhere else (he hit .240 in everywhere but Coors), so I don't know if he can hit the way he has before and if the Rockies will even take Crede or Fields (because they like Ian Stewart in their farm, who is a 3B). It's very unlikely that we will acquire Atkins and it is unlikely that we have enough to give for what Colorado wants for Holliday. Maybe Brad Hawpe?

kittle42
06-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Possibly the funniest non-Horsemaster post ever.

russ99
06-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Since when are the Rockies afraid to throw out the big contract? He's a Rockie, and he'll stay a Rockie.

Not if Boras has anything to say about it. You realize that, right?

Arod was the rare case counter to the Boras playbook. His clients rarely re-sign with their original team.

QCIASOXFAN
06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I thought BA was being sent to Baltimore as part of the Uribe-for-Roberts deal.
No way Kenny trades BA and Uribe for just Brian Roberts.

DSpivack
06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
No way Kenny trades BA and Uribe for just Brian Roberts.

Yeah, no way he trades two relatively worthless players for a very good 2B.

oeo
06-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Not if Boras has anything to say about it. You realize that, right?

Arod was the rare case counter to the Boras playbook. His clients rarely re-sign with their original team.

Yes, I realize that. If the 'original team' ponies up the cash, they can sign the player.

Bringing up A-Rod's case is kind of silly since it's not the same situation as most. The Yankees are the only team that would sign a contract like he got.

russ99
06-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Yes, I realize that. If the 'original team' ponies up the cash, they can sign the player.

Bringing up A-Rod's case is kind of silly since it's not the same situation as most. The Yankees are the only team that would sign a contract like he got.

True - A-Rod doesn't really count, but if he had been given a final rejection by the Yankees I think he'd have taken nearly the same amount with the Dodgers or Red Sox.

The only problem is that most times, the original team is given an over-inflated number early on (to scare them away like with Andruw) and is then blocked from the proceedings and rarely gets the chance to pony up the cash.

Especially when said player has a chance to move to a bigger market, with the potential for endorsements. This specifically happened in Beltran's case, who agreed with the Mets just before the FA deadline - minutes before Boras allowed the Astros back into the conversation to talk numbers. So it looked like the player's old team had a shot to sign him, when in fact Boras had no intentions of even letting them get to the table. He also gives teams the illusion of having a chance to sign a player, when he's merely driving up the price eventually paid by the "winning" club.

There's a small chance the Rockies may be able to sign Holliday to a multi-year deal a year or two early, but if this goes to his free-agent year, I'd be willing to say that there's a 99% chance he won't be back with them.

I'd be willing to bet that Boras will do the same thing to the Sox with Crede too. I wonder if it will warrant a trip to Vienna like last time...

manders_01
06-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I've heard no rumblings of this in the local press and the first glimpse of the idea I've seen anywhere is here. However, there is a guy sitting in the section next to me with the sign "If Holliday leaves, so do I." Interesting.

Boondock Saint
06-06-2008, 08:53 PM
I've heard no rumblings of this in the local press and the first glimpse of the idea I've seen anywhere is here. However, there is a guy sitting in the section next to me with the sign "If Holliday leaves, so do I." Interesting.

That sign is probably a statement of fact for MANY Rockies fans. No way do you trade away a young stud like that. He's just building a name and rep for himself in CO. If management traded him away, they'd be trading away thousands of butts in seats along with him.

manders_01
06-06-2008, 10:13 PM
That sign is probably a statement of fact for MANY Rockies fans. No way do you trade away a young stud like that. He's just building a name and rep for himself in CO. If management traded him away, they'd be trading away thousands of butts in seats along with him.

I understand that (see my first post in this thread). However, this sign seems to be out of the blue. Why would anyone bring this sign if they hadn't heard anything about a possible trade?PS Dammit - they're doin the wave!