PDA

View Full Version : Mark Prior to have season ending surgery.

It's Time
06-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Shocking.

Who in their right mind is going to take a flyer on this guy next year?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080601&content_id=2813827&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Boondock Saint
06-01-2008, 05:36 PM
It's never "officialy" baseball season until Mark Prior ends his season for phantom arm problems. He's not even yesterdays news anymore.

thomas35forever
06-01-2008, 05:57 PM
He may be done.

Soxfest
06-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Wrap it up MP!

MarySwiss
06-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm actually sorry to hear this. Cub pitcher or not, he had enormous potential. I hope he comes back.

Red Barchetta
06-01-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm actually sorry to hear this. Cub pitcher or not, he had enormous potential. I hope he comes back.

In most cases, I would agree with you. However the way this guy acted with the media the last few years in Chicago denying anything could be wrong on his side and how he was mistreated, etc., I'm not crying that his struggles continue.

It doesn't appear he had too much adversity to overcome in his life/career thus far, so let's see how he responds to this latest set back.

soxpride724
06-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Nice to know you MP...

doublem23
06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Who in their right mind is going to take a flyer on this guy next year?

If the Sox did, I wouldn't mind.

:shrug:

Boondock Saint
06-01-2008, 07:35 PM
If the Sox did, I wouldn't mind.

:shrug:

:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

Seriously, our rotation seems to be set for the future. Hell, you know you're pitching damned well when Mark Buehrle is the guy you have to worry the most about. Our staff has been nails this season, and I don't see what purpose having Prior and his drama on our club would serve.

RKMeibalane
06-01-2008, 07:52 PM
As much as I dislike Prior, a part of me feels badly for him, given that his career has never really gotten off the ground. One wonders if his career would have unfolded differently had he not began his career pitching for the likes of a manager like Dusty Baker.

(And yes, I know that Prior began his career in 2002, before Baker became Cubs manager, but he spent most of his career pitching for the man. You get the general idea.)

FedEx227
06-01-2008, 09:17 PM
We discussed on my show today his dramatic increase in innings pitched in 2003. He went from something like 119 as a career high (both college and pros) all the way to 211 with 7 IP per appearance, that's huge compared to most other guys in the majors...

His arm was NEVER stretched out, it never had to go maximum effort until that one year.

He was poorly managed from the get-go in terms of durability and Dusty certainly didn't help.

kninchicago
06-01-2008, 09:47 PM
:rolling: stick a fork in this jerk!

voodoochile
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
:rolling: stick a fork in this jerk!

Wow... classy...

kninchicago
06-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Wow... classy...

He's always rubbed me the wrong way. My apologies for wishing him not the best, I guess. :dunno:

Daver
06-01-2008, 09:52 PM
We discussed on my show today his dramatic increase in innings pitched in 2003. He went from something like 119 as a career high (both college and pros) all the way to 211 with 7 IP per appearance, that's huge compared to most other guys in the majors...

His arm was NEVER stretched out, it never had to go maximum effort until that one year.

He was poorly managed from the get-go in terms of durability and Dusty certainly didn't help.

You can blame a lot more than a manager for injuries to pitchers, blame the teams, and the fact that they don't train them correctly from day one.

Jjav829
06-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Only 2 more punches in his card and Mark Prior gets a free surgery! :bandance:

What's the process like for naming a surgery. I think Prior deserves a surgery named after him.

FedEx227
06-01-2008, 09:55 PM
You can blame a lot more than a manager for injuries to pitchers, blame the teams, and the fact that they don't train them correctly from day one.

Exactly. As we were doing more and more research on the show it looked like he was never really taught to pitch many innings.

Add in the fact he was babied from the beginning and probably taken out of any start where he had any amounts of pain and this is what happens. I put blame on Dusty, Mark himself, his father, the people in his and his fathers ears, high school coaches, college coaches, everything. The man was put on a prodigy level way too soon, way before he even learned how to handle his body or his arm and was thus overly-taken care of us, thinking that you had to keep his arm alive for his great pro career.

While I'm not taking the blame completely off of Dusty, Prior should have thrown more during high school and college instead of coasting through both of those levels and the minors then being absolutely worked when he got to the majors.

Prior's career IP (Increase in Year Prior)/Innings Per Start
2000 (USC): 129 IP / 7.16
2001 (USC): 138 IP (+10 IP) / 7.66
2002 (AA-AAA-MLB): 166 IP (+28 IP) / 5.92
2003 (MLB): 211 IP (+45 IP) / 7.03

Add to this, his obvious mental problems which I believe caused a few of his earlier "injuries" and just plain bad luck and you have yourselves Mark Prior.

doublem23
06-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Seriously, our rotation seems to be set for the future. Hell, you know you're pitching damned well when Mark Buehrle is the guy you have to worry the most about. Our staff has been nails this season, and I don't see what purpose having Prior and his drama on our club would serve.

Has there ever been an exec on a baseball team in history that uttered the phrase, "God damn, we have way too much pitching."

I don't know if he'd come here, but if he can ever get healthy, we all know what kind of talent this guy is. As for the drama... I guess I missed the 24-hour coverage of Prior's year with the Padres so far. He's been pretty out of sight and out of mind, IMO.

I know we're in an enviable position with 5 quality starting pitchers locked up for the next several years, but IMO that shouldn't be an excuse to not look to add more arms. In 2003, Prior and Wood looked like they'd be the 1-2 punch at the top of the Cubs rotation for over a decade.

Pitching, money, and churros... Three things you can never have too much of. :cool:

Garland_IS_God
06-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I was one of the few who wanted the Sox to sign him to an incentive laced contract, and I still would take a chance on him next season. Maybe Coop and Herm can help him out. I'd shell out 3 million or so for a one year deal.

DSpivack
06-01-2008, 10:30 PM

What's the process like for naming a surgery. I think Prior deserves a surgery named after him.

Tommy John only had one, no?

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I recall a Sox-Cubs game when he pitched. I believe it was when McCarthy made his ML debut. Anyways, Prior pitched a CG 130 pitch effort.

Daver
06-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I recall a Sox-Cubs game when he pitched. I believe it was when McCarthy made his ML debut. Anyways, Prior pitched a CG 130 pitch effort.

Pitch count is a useless number if you train your starting staff correctly.

thedudeabides
06-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Unfortunately in this day they are not trained that way. They are protected for too long during their development.

DrCrawdad
06-01-2008, 11:10 PM
In most cases, I would agree with you. However the way this guy acted with the media the last few years in Chicago denying anything could be wrong on his side and how he was mistreated, etc., I'm not crying that his struggles continue.

It doesn't appear he had too much adversity to overcome in his life/career thus far, so let's see how he responds to this latest set back.

Some of the blame lies squarely with the Cubbies and their mouthpieces in the press.

I'll never forget MLB "writer" Carrie Muskrat (sp?) who wrote about how Prior was having an excellent spring training. Bear in mind though that in this season, Prior NEVER pitched in front of the media.

twentywontowin
06-02-2008, 12:25 AM

June 26th, 2005. One hitter against us. I remember it vividly because after the gamr I spent the night in the emergency room and couldn't walk for four weeks.

That aside, Mark Prior was a tremendous talent. A combination of bad luck and poor conditioning led to his demise.

Everyone always brings up the pitch count. 20 years ago, pitchers would put up 130 pitch counts and not blink an eye. With baseball becoming so specialized, pitchers aren't accustomed to long game sessions anymore.

Steelrod
06-02-2008, 06:13 AM
I was one of the few who wanted the Sox to sign him to an incentive laced contract, and I still would take a chance on him next season. Maybe Coop and Herm can help him out. I'd shell out 3 million or so for a one year deal.
Would you like his address?

kraut83
06-02-2008, 08:59 AM

What, it took 19 posts until the thought of "Coop can fix him?" What's wrong with this place? :redneck

I'm not sure Prior has the mental fortitude to get past many more injuries.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I give him credit for waiting until late May for the surgery announcement. All Cub bashing aisde, I kinda feel bad for the guy....gotta feel a bit for him.

Irishsox1
06-02-2008, 10:33 AM
When Prior was at his peak in 2003, Mike Marshall came out and said his form is horrible and he will start to have arm problems.

Marshall is seen by some as a nut, but he was 100% accurate with Prior.

cws05champ
06-02-2008, 10:37 AM

I think the Mark Prior Testicular Implantation has a nice ring to it! :smile:

bigsoxfan420
06-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Who cares? He hasen't even began a season for years.

lukeman89
06-02-2008, 10:46 AM
i thought this thread was bumped from last year.

guess not

Red Barchetta
06-03-2008, 08:30 AM
When Prior was at his peak in 2003, Mike Marshall came out and said his form is horrible and he will start to have arm problems.

Marshall is seen by some as a nut, but he was 100% accurate with Prior.

Funny, because I remember when he first arrived on the scene how the national media announcers (ESPN/FOX) were commenting on how solid his mechanics were and how he reminded them of a young Tom Seaver.

PatK
06-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Am I the only one that feels that he may be a victim of the "steroid era" of baseball?

He's gaunt compared to when he first started.

Red Barchetta
06-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Am I the only one that feels that he may be a victim of the "steroid era" of baseball?

Never thought of that! I remember when he first came into the league and wore the high socks. His legs and calves were huge! I remember one fan yelling out "Nice pantyhose". :D:

Jaffar
06-03-2008, 04:01 PM

Wasn't it Blackjack that stamped Prior with a steroid label when he was in the broadcast booth a few years back?

Found it (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5273/is_200404/ai_n20917832)

RockJock07
06-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Why not sign him to a minor league deal? Nothing to lose really.

FedEx227
06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Why not sign him to a minor league deal? Nothing to lose really.

Except money and a roster spot that can go to someone who can actually throw a baseball 60 feet.

doublem23
06-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Except money and a roster spot that can go to someone who can actually throw a baseball 60 feet.

Put your bias aside, Prior has otherworldly talent that just can't be tapped because he's never healthy. I don't believe the Sox would ever be able to sign Prior, but if the opprotunity presented itself and the conditions were right, I would hope they do, especially since there are so few MLB-ready pitchers in our system.

Our minor league roster is bursting at the seems with studs like Tomo Ohka.

jabrch
06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Put your bias aside, Prior has otherworldly talent that just can't be tapped because he's never healthy. I don't believe the Sox would ever be able to sign Prior, but if the opprotunity presented itself and the conditions were right, I would hope they do, especially since there are so few MLB-ready pitchers in our system.

Would you really want to tie millions of dollars into this guy after yet another surgery?

Steelrod
06-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Does anyone know how much he's been paid to not perform?
I am beginning to feel sorry for his employers!

Daver
06-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Would you really want to tie millions of dollars into this guy after yet another surgery?

What makes you think you would have to?

Jerome
06-03-2008, 06:23 PM
LOL, again

Scottiehaswheels
06-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Can he swing a bat?

Frontman
06-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey, no thread necro.......

Wait, this IS from this season.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2005/02/18/inside-snl-radner.jpg
"Nevermind."

VeeckAsInWreck
06-03-2008, 06:36 PM
http://www.harbormoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/jamesearljones_fieldofdreams.jpg
"The one constant through all the years Ray has been Mark Prior going on the DL"

doublem23
06-03-2008, 07:55 PM

:rolling:

He signed a 1-year, $1 million deal with San Diego this season, but I'm sure this latest surgery will have baseball execs everywhere busting out their checkbooks, looking to sign him to a multi-million dollar contract.

All I've said is IF the price is right and IF the Sox and Prior could agree on certain terms (incentives, etc.) then I would hope they sign him. The Sox farm system has produced 2 quality starters in the last decade? Sorry if I'm not sold on Lance Broadway, Charlie Haeger, etc. as legitimate prospects/back-up plans.

gobears1987
06-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey, no thread necro.......

Wait, this IS from this season.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2005/02/18/inside-snl-radner.jpg
"Nevermind."
You have the wrong Gilda Radner character.

"You know Jane, it just goes to show you. It's always something. If it's not one things it's another..."

Frontman
06-03-2008, 09:53 PM
You have the wrong Gilda Radner character.

"You know Jane, it just goes to show you. It's always something. If it's not one things it's another..."

It was the Rosanne RosannaDanna character that did that bit, right?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-04-2008, 10:23 AM
It was the Rosanne RosannaDanna character that did that bit, right?

Nope. Gilda had a character called Emily Litella that used to do editorials on Weekend Update. She would talk about things she misunderstood. Like for example she would talk about "Violins On Television" and then get told that it's violence on television. She would then just say:

http://www.anotherthink.com/my_graphics/Emily_Litella.jpg
"Nevermind".

chaerulez
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
His 2003 season was pretty damn good. You'd think he was going to be the Cubs ace for the next 10 years. However there were always whispers from members from the Cubs organization themselves that Prior just wasn't tough enough to pitch through pain at times.

Frontman
06-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Nope. Gilda had a character called Emily Litella that used to do editorials on Weekend Update. She would talk about things she misunderstood. Like for example she would talk about "Violins On Television" and then get told that it's violence on television. She would then just say:

http://www.anotherthink.com/my_graphics/Emily_Litella.jpg
"Nevermind".

Ah. Goes to show I was only 8 (and not watching them when they first ran.)

Ziggy S
06-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Give him to Coop. He'll straighten him out.

(Come on. It took four pages for that? You guys are slipping here.)

Ziggy S
06-05-2008, 09:38 AM

Are you by any chance related to Mike Marshall?

KenBerryGrab
06-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Bronze that towel.