PDA

View Full Version : Missile landing in centerfield?

ArkanSox
06-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Considering all the adjustments that he's had to deal with, Ramirez has truly surprised me with his abilities and his attitude. It appears as if he's "as happy as a monkey in a monkey tree." (R.Newman) He always seems so happy-go-lucky, I sometimes wonder if he might be AJ's foil.

Can he be effective as a lead-off man? Earlier, I thought no way, not with his long swing and his major league inexperience. Now, I'm not so sure that he doesn't fit the bill. We see he's speedy. He has shown that he can hit off-speed pitches along with the fastballs. Is he to aggressive at the plate to be a lead-off man? I wonder if he can bunt for basehits?

Though he has made a couple of great plays at second, at times he seemed a bit lost and out of position there. With Uribe back and Swisher's difficulties, it may be time for "The Cuban Missile" to land in centerfield.

I say give him shot! :smile:

Madvora
06-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Basically, this just makes you chose between Uribe or Swisher in the lineup.
I'd rather have a solution that would keep them both out.

Vernam
06-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Basically, this just makes you chose between Uribe or Swisher in the lineup.
I'd rather have a solution that would keep them both out.True, but it's also a possible choice between Ramirez and Owens. Alexei has proven he deserves some playing time, while Jerry has not.

Vernam

ArkanSox
06-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Well, BA is also still in the mix. I would prefer Anderson over Swisher at this point, but I think Uribe at second and Ramirez in center might be worth a try.

TomBradley72
06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Well, BA is also still in the mix. I would prefer Anderson over Swisher at this point, but I think Uribe at second and Ramirez in center might be worth a try.

I actually think Ozzie would be open to having BA take over in CF, but unfortunately, BA has not taken advantage of his playing opportunities...he's batting .158 over the last 30 days.

I'm a big BA fan...but the only way to "break through" is take advantage of your opportunities (ala Alexei's play the past few weeks).

whitesox901
06-01-2008, 10:53 AM
I wouldnt say bench Swish, id just platoon

soltrain21
06-01-2008, 11:51 AM
I would say a missile landed weeks ago because there has been a hole for quite a bit. I don't know if Alexei is the answer. I don't think he could handle the lead off role and CF duty. I'm still in the camp of getting BA some more time out there. He wouldn't be hurting the team anymore than about six other guys are, and we know we'd be getting good defense.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Keep Ramirez at second base. He's done fine there. His defense at second really hasn't caused problems - it's actually been good. Also, his bat his been much better than Uribe's.

If you're going to make a change in CF, put Anderson out there.

I'm willing to continue to be patient with Anderson; until he gets 1,000 MLB ABs, I'm not willing to pass judgment on him as a hitter. He's too good of a fielder at a critical position to rush to judge him has a hitter.

On the other hand, we know exactly what kind of hitter Uribe is. He's not changing, folks, and as long as both Cabrera and Ramirez are out-hitting him, and still are playing good defense, then I don't want Uribe getting ABs on this team.

ArkanSox
06-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Keep Ramirez at second base. He's done fine there. His defense at second really hasn't caused problems - it's actually been good. Also, his bat his been much better than Uribe's.

If you're going to make a change in CF, put Anderson out there.

I'm willing to continue to be patient with Anderson; until he gets 1,000 MLB ABs, I'm not willing to pass judgment on him as a hitter. He's too good of a fielder at a critical position to rush to judge him has a hitter.

On the other hand, we know exactly what kind of hitter Uribe is. He's not changing, folks, and as long as both Cabrera and Ramirez are out-hitting him, and still are playing good defense, then I don't want Uribe getting ABs on this team.

Believe me, I hear you, but Uribe does play strong D at second and also has some pop in his bat. You have to figure him for 20-25 homers. I think Ramirez can do very well in center, if he can avoid running over Dye while running after the ball in the gap. :o: :smile:

Hey, the missile can bunt. I just saw him. Leadoff batter, anyone?

Madscout
06-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I actually think Ozzie would be open to having BA take over in CF, but unfortunately, BA has not taken advantage of his playing opportunities...he's batting .158 over the last 30 days.

I'm a big BA fan...but the only way to "break through" is take advantage of your opportunities (ala Alexei's play the past few weeks).

I don't want to start another poor BA rant or argument, but the situations aren't the same. Alexi benifited from Uribe going down, while Anderson has been a platoon to rest our players. I think Anderson is a guy that needs to play to find a rhythm and he has done very well with this platoon situation so far.

veeter
06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't want to start another poor BA rant or argument, but the situations aren't the same. Alexi benifited from Uribe going down, while Anderson has been a platoon to rest our players. I think Anderson is a guy that needs to play to find a rhythm and he has done very well with this platoon situation so far.Agreed. We need to keep pouring on the defense. The pitching is great. With Brian and Alexi on the field were at our defensive peak. This is a very good baseball team.

turners56
06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
To me, Ramirez still seems like a great second slot hitter. He makes a lot of contact and he has the ability to bunt and etc. As a leadoff hitter, I don't know if sees enough pitches. Either way, I think Ramirez as the hitter in the second slot can work. Maybe Ozzie might even try leading him off. It's quite obvious that Alexei is not a bottom of the order hitter, he's shown he can get hits, especially in the past two weeks. He's gotten a hit or been on base in almost every game in the past couple of weeks.

Boondock Saint
06-01-2008, 04:49 PM
The way I see it, Brian Anderson is ready for a long look. He's probably going to suck offensively, but we could have Anderson swinging at bad pitches, or we could have Swisher stare at cookie after cookie. If that's the choice, I want the guy who'll at least make the plays on DEFENSE.

Optipessimism
06-01-2008, 05:15 PM
The way I see it, Brian Anderson is ready for a long look. He's probably going to suck offensively, but we could have Anderson swinging at bad pitches, or we could have Swisher stare at cookie after cookie. If that's the choice, I want the guy who'll at least make the plays on DEFENSE.
Agreed 100%, and if Brian did establish himself by playing everyday in Swisher's absence it would be a blessing in disguise. I love his defense in CF and would love for him to hit enough to stay there.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't think BA is going to give us a great BA, but he will hit a lot of doubles, and even if he hits .250 (which I think is a fair and reasonable and realistic expectation), it's still 50 points higher than Swisher's average.

Walks and OBP are nice, they really are. But right now no one is driving in many runs. At least BA's ability to hit doubles could drive in some runs when other guys are on base.

Swisher's ability to take a walk when there's someone on second or third really doesn't do much good.

Rockinsox05
06-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Heck, I'd be ecstatic if Swisher actually hit 250

ArkanSox
06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I would say a missile landed weeks ago because there has been a hole for quite a bit. I don't know if Alexei is the answer. I don't think he could handle the lead off role and CF duty. I'm still in the camp of getting BA some more time out there. He wouldn't be hurting the team anymore than about six other guys are, and we know we'd be getting good defense.
------------
Ha, and I think we know who the "hole" has usually been.

It looks like the consensus is to leave Ramirez at second, play BA in center for defensive purposes (despite his anemic batsmanship), and just let Uribe die on the pine.

As far as Ramirez leading off?

Well, not too much feedback on this, but some doubts.
Personally, I would like to see how he handles it.
It may be the spark we need?

ArkanSox

whitesox901
06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
------------

As far as Ramirez leading off?

I would like to see how he handles it.
It may be the spark we need?

ArkanSox

Couldnt Hurt right? Last line up change got us 8 Game Win Streak :bandance: