PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the Trop

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Drove up from Bonita Springs to see last nights game, a few thoughts. We hit the ball hard on a few occasions but otherwise Kazmir was really tough. Swisher looks like a lost soul up at the plate. Javy had another quality start. Ramirez looks very comfortable at 2nd base, with the way Uribe hits why should he be given the 2nd base job, Id stick with the kid.
Been going up to see the Sox in the Trop since the Rays 1st year, up to last night largest crowd was 26,000 back in 2000. The Trop was rocking last night with a sellout due to Trace Adkins concert after game, however the fans were really into the game and noise level was almost like old Chicago Stadium. Rays fans know their baseball. Id love to see them win the East since I watch a lot of their games on TV and are with the Marlins my favorite teams after the Sox, plus I despise the BoSox and their fans. Had to pay $30.00 for $11.00 upper deck seats, 20 rows up. Quite a few Sox fans at the game but we didnt have anything to cheer about until a little rally in the 9th. Lets go for the series split today and come home 4-3 for the road trip.

tlebar318
06-01-2008, 09:33 AM
I have been here since Friday and it has been rough with us scoring 1 run the last 2 games...the Rays fans have been having fun with me. I was walking down the street in front of Ferg's Friday night after we lost on the walk off and people were slowing down and honking and yelling "Sox Suck" and "Go Back to Chicago"--I live in Orlando! :cool: Oh well, other than the Sox I am rooting for the Rays since I live down here and they have good young talent. That said, c'mon Sox and get the split today!

ArkanSox
06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I envy you two. Sounds like a blast! Of course, the Sox power outage has put a bit of a damper on things.

The Rays do look awfully tough. I wouldn't be surprised if we meet them in the playoffs this year. I wish we had at least half of their running game.

I agree that Ramirez definitely needs to play regularly, either at second or in center. We need his bat and his legs. Let's get the split!

Bump34
06-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Sorry I missed you at Ferg's... :gulp:

tlebar318
06-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Sorry I missed you at Ferg's... :gulp:

That's alright Dave...although I did see you had a V.I.P. section going on at Ferg's! Didn't see you though must have been watching Trace Adkins!:redneck

Frankfan4life
06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Lucky Me! I caught all four games at Tropicana. Since this was my first time at the Trop, I must admit I was impressed with the Rays fans. I don't know if was because the Rays are in first place or if the Rays fans are always into the games like that.

I witnessed a lot of team support from the fans and it was interesting to watch. Most of the activities on and off the field were fan-centered, perhaps that's because the Rays have always had very bad attendance, but it was still a good idea to involve the fans that much. They also had a lot of motivational videos (some were quite funny), cheerleaders, Raymond the mascot who was very funny (Southpaw take note.), giveaways and other interactions with the fans. They had some very original and unique things to see and do (Brooks Boyer take note). These things really helped get the fans into the game and the cheering was loud and enthusiastic. The one thing I noticed is that the Rays fans werenít just cheering when their team was at bat but they were cheering for the pitcher as well.

I didnít get any hassles while I was there; in fact the fans were pretty nice to me. Maybe thatís because Iím a middle-aged female. Two fans offered to take pictures of my grandson and me. Nevertheless, I still found the fans to be very respectful overall. I once suggested a retractable domed stadium for the Sox but after visiting two dark and tomb-like domed stadiums (the Metrodome and the Trop), Iíve changed my mind. That closed in feeling was a little depressing. The Rays are going to build a new stadium on Tampa Bay and since my family lives in St. Pete, Iíll make plans to catch some Sox/Rays games there.

However, most depressing was the Sox lack of offense. It was stunningly bad. But, I have to admit, the Rays are for real. They have a very good team (good pitching, speed, hitting and fielding) and unless the Yankees have something else up their sleeves, the Rays should make the playoffs. I wish I were that sure about our chances.