PDA

View Full Version : Swisher Story / Hitting 9th/ Pressure / Benching?

Lip Man 1
05-31-2008, 11:56 PM
From the Tribune.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080531-nick-swisher-chicago-white-spx,1,1882115.story

Lip

GlassSox
06-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Lip

Don't worry it says he working with Walker.....

Glass

voodoochile
06-01-2008, 12:03 AM
The options aren't exactly that much better unless they give Ramirez another chance at CF when Uribe comes back or Richar is deemed worthy of another chance at the big league club.

BA still hasn't proven he can hit big league pitching and though his supporters will say he needs consistent time, I just have a hard time seeing it. He's a nice glove, but even as bad as Swish has been BA's OPS is 30 points lower.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2008, 12:25 AM
The options aren't exactly that much better unless they give Ramirez another chance at CF when Uribe comes back or Richar is deemed worthy of another chance at the big league club.

BA still hasn't proven he can hit big league pitching and though his supporters will say he needs consistent time, I just have a hard time seeing it. He's a nice glove, but even as bad as Swish has been BA's OPS is 30 points lower.
Anderson isn't much of an improvement, but...jesus, we have to try something at this point I think. It's getting to be pathetic watching him out there...as far as superstion goes, I'd recommend shaving off that damned beard too while he's at it....really maybe some time off will do him well. Especially if he's pressing this much.

GlassSox
06-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Anderson isn't much of an improvement, but...jesus, we have to try something at this point I think. It's getting to be pathetic watching him out there...as far as superstion goes, I'd recommend shaving off that damned beard too while he's at it....really maybe some time off will do him well. Especially if he's pressing this much.

Maybe he should straighten his back.

It's a proven medical fact when you straighten your back, your head comes out of your ass.

Madvora
06-01-2008, 09:26 AM

You're right. The only real option is Jerry Owens and that's going to require somebody being sent down... as well as Owens proving he should actually be called up. Jerry is hitting .237 right now.

If only he could get his **** together, it could be what the Sox need. He would be inserted as our new leadoff hitter and that would change the makeup of our order, hopefully getting us to score a few more runs. That's up to Owens though.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-01-2008, 09:44 AM
I find it strange that Ozzie is talking about the possibility of benching Swisher because he's in a slump, but not saying the same thing about Konerko or Thome.

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2008, 09:54 AM
I find it strange that Ozzie is talking about the possibility of benching Swisher because he's in a slump, but not saying the same thing about Konerko or Thome.
These 3 guys are killing us, they are even below the Mendoza career line of .215

Madvora
06-01-2008, 10:36 AM
These 3 guys are killing us, they are even below the Mendoza career line of .215
They're not officially killing us until we drop out of first place. They are definitely holding us back though. With this pitching staff, this team could be unstoppable if these guys would even perform to half of their potential.

regionsox73
06-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Swisher should change "Dirty 30" to "Dirty .130" My goodness.

slavko
06-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Betcha he's thinking it. We are. But you "can't" do it to someone who's making megabucks. Is PK any different now than he was the first half of '05 when many of us were calling to Gload to replace him? He has a habit of losing it for half a season at a time. At least now he has the excuse of a messed up hand.

Swish is looking less and less comfortable at the plate and doesn't appear to be seeing the ball. He needs to sit down. Walker? How many hitting coaches can you fire?

KyWhiSoxFan
06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Betcha he's thinking it. We are. But you "can't" do it to someone who's making megabucks. Is PK any different now than he was the first half of '05 when many of us were calling to Gload to replace him? He has a habit of losing it for half a season at a time. At least now he has the excuse of a messed up hand.

Swish is looking less and less comfortable at the plate and doesn't appear to be seeing the ball. He needs to sit down. Walker? How many hitting coaches can you fire?

I agree that Ozzie is probably thinking it, but given their status he can't come right out and say Konerko and Thome will be benched.

But I don't know if Konerko's slump is just a half-season, as in the past. Since mid-2007, his BA is 2.44 for August (12 RBI); 2.39 for September (17 RBI); 2.22 for April (17 RBI); 1.91 May (12 RBI). If it's his hand that is the issue, he needs to go on the DL for awhile.

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Does Swish even have options left on him? Why not send him to AAA to work on his swing for a few weeks and maybe we can get him back up here when he starts making solid ABs?

whitesox901
06-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Does Swish even have options left on him? Why not send him to AAA to work on his swing for a few weeks and maybe we can get him back up here when he starts making solid ABs?

sounds good, just seeing him strike out agianst the rays in the top of the 10th just really ****ing pissed me off :angry:

SkinsDevil
06-02-2008, 03:41 AM
it's a good situation...

oeo
06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
sounds good, just seeing him strike out agianst the rays in the top of the 10th just really ****ing pissed me off :angry:

That was just the end of the terrible execution in the 10th. Man on second with no outs and a man on third with one out pissed me off even more.

These guys aren't helping each other out by not doing something as simply as flying out. No one in this lineup besides Quentin takes pressure off of the other guys, and it's only a matter of time before the pressure catches Quentin, too.

balke
06-02-2008, 09:19 AM

The last thing this team needs to worry about right now is OPS. Anderson is hitting the ball, making contact that drops on the field. Swisher's walks aren't winning crap for the Sox.

Anderson is hitting .273 with a .860 OPS w/ RISP so far this season.
Compare that to Swisher hitting .143 with a .497 OPS.

Swisher is the better option when he pulls his head out of his ass, but so far that hasn't happened. If one week from now nothing has changed, I'd take my chances on Anderson out there w/ Swisher playing 4th OFer. You can never be too careful with players coming from Oakland IMO.

areilly
06-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Swisher should change "Dirty 30" to "Dirty .130" My goodness.

I actually just laughed out loud at this. Thanks for lightening up my morning. :thumbsup:

Tekijawa
06-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Don't worry, he's a professional hitter... things like this average out... I'm sure he'll bat .301 the rest of the season and things will average out!