PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Another Quality Start Wasted!" 5/31/2008 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
05-31-2008, 07:57 PM
We must lead MLB in quality start losses.

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2008, 07:57 PM
I am not pissing my pants, but I am starting to clip Depends coupons.

This was the sixth time the Sox have been shut out this year. They also have played six other games in which they have scored just one run.

Patrick134
05-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Kazmir is great , this was expected, the way the Rays have been playing, I'll take the split tomorrow and head home.

thomas35forever
Buehrle vs. Sonnastine tomorrow? Me no likey. It'll be a miracle if we salvage a split.:angry::mad:

delben91
Yay!

KnightSox
05-31-2008, 07:59 PM
My sympathy to the pitching staff, I hope the pitching is still this good if and when we decide to hit.

JB98
05-31-2008, 07:59 PM
For the 7th time this season, the White Sox held the opposition to two runs or less and still lost.

The Sox are now 0-20 when trailing after seven innings.

For the 267th consecutive postgame thread, fire Greg Walker.

NDSox12
05-31-2008, 08:00 PM
Kazmir is great , this was expected, the way the Rays have been playing, I'll take the split tomorrow and head home.

IF the Sox win tomorrow, I agree it will have been a fairly successful road trip. Got to score some runs for that to happen though.

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2008, 08:01 PM
This is just one of those games where you have to just tip your cap to the starting pitcher. Kazmir is one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Now, you've gotta go out there tomorrow and give Buehrle some RUN SUPPORT!

Jerome
05-31-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm tired of waiting for the offense to heat up

Usually with days like this I would just tip the cap to Kazmir, but we've seen this offense look hopeless against far less talented pitchers. 2 shutouts in a row is pathetic, I don't care who you're playing. :whiner:

Jerome
05-31-2008, 08:02 PM
For the 7th time this season, the White Sox held the opposition to two runs or less and still lost.

:(:

RadioheadRocks
Corpseball is right.

Sockinchisox

Usually with days like this I would just tip the cap to Kazmir, but we've seen this offense look hopeless against far less talented pitchers. 2 shutouts in a row is pathetic, I don't care who you're playing. :whiner:

We scored a run yesterday.

JB98

We scored one run last night. It just feels like two shutouts in a row.

Quentin08
Wow! Deja vu.. that was almost an exact replay of last Saturday. Why does Walker still have a job? :scratch:

Lillian
05-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Can someone please explain to me why Thome was sent up to pinch hit for Ramirez? I knew that they would just bring in a Lefty to pitch to him.
Was that just Ozzie trying to make them use another pitcher, in preparation for tomorrow?

Jerome
We scored a run yesterday.

:redface: whoops, i knew that

KnightSox
I'm tired of waiting for the offense to heat upWe have been waiting since early '07.

thomas35forever
05-31-2008, 08:04 PM
We have been waiting since early '07.
We've been waiting since July of '06.

Cuck the Fubs
05-31-2008, 08:04 PM
This offense in beggining to really bother me..........

Tomorrow is June 1st.

It's not early anymore Mr. Thome, Mr. Konerko and Mr. Swisher.

Kazmir is a stud without doubt, but this offense is barely showing a pulse:angry:

KnightSox
05-31-2008, 08:05 PM
We've been waiting since July of '06.I stand corrected.

Railsplitter
05-31-2008, 08:06 PM

This was the sixth time the Sox have been shut out this year. They also have played six other games in which they have scored just one run.
Neither fact encourges me.

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm tired of tipping my hat to good pitchers. We're supposed to have good hitters ya know. I don't know if the problem is Greg Walker or the way the team is constructed (ie "Lets hit homeruns! Yay!!") or if we're just old, but this is getting to be revolting. I'm tired of seeing Swisher and Thome strike out. At least Konerko occasionally makes contact. This team is just a bad offensive team, simple as that.

Railsplitter
05-31-2008, 08:07 PM

Neither fact is encouraging.

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Neither fact encourges me.

The fact that I'm not pissing my pants or the fact that I'm clipping Depends coupons? :tongue:

JB98
05-31-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm tired of tipping my hat to good pitchers. We're supposed to have good hitters ya know. I don't know if the problem is Greg Walker or the way the team is constructed (ie "Lets hit homeruns! Yay!!") or if we're just old, but this is getting to be revolting. I'm tired of seeing Swisher and Thome strike out. At least Konerko occasionally makes contact. This team is just a bad offensive team, simple as that.

White Sox are now 27-11 when they homer. 3-14 when they do not.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Wow! Deja vu.. that was almost an exact replay of last Saturday. Why does Walker still have a job? :scratch:

And who do you want?:scratch:

Soxman219
05-31-2008, 08:09 PM
At least we ended May with a winning record.:tongue:

Still, tomorrow will be June and it won't be early anymore. If we don't see PK, Swisher, or Thome start hitting, then Walker should be fired.

thomas35forever
05-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Anyone not named Greg Walker. Maybe we can get Gary Ward back?

turners56
Boy oh boy, is it just bad luck or is it crappy hitting? I mean, watching the 9th inning alone, the Sox hit the crap out of the ball, but managed only one hit. To me, A.J. should of had a 3-run shot on that hanger, but just got under it. Dye hit a rocket right at Crawford who was playing him deep. The team was hitting the ball pretty hard, but most of them were just liners. But of course you had your strikeouts and anemic at bats. The Sox only hit 2 grounders today! I wasn't expecting a win coming in, but damn, we waste another good start and will have to pray for the Yankees to win. :whiner: If we can split, I'm happy, but after what Sonnastine did to us and what the Rays did to Buehrle in the last time these two met, I'm not so optimistic.

fquaye149

Why on earth would you be worried about a first place team.

whitesoxfan
05-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Can someone please explain to me why Thome was sent up to pinch hit for Ramirez? I knew that they would just bring in a Lefty to pitch to him.
Was that just Ozzie trying to make them use another pitcher, in preparation for tomorrow?

I wondered the same exact thing in the game thread.

Stupidity is one word that comes to mind.

thomas35forever
05-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Because they may not be in first in a few days.

turners56
05-31-2008, 08:12 PM

Ozzie being Ozzie. Thome does have the most homers off left handers this season, but since J.P. Howell wasn't C.C. Sabathia, that stat is obviously irrelevant.

itsnotrequired
The Sox will win the division so I'm not too worried about it.

:shrug:

JB98

I'd go with Frater Perdurabo.

whitesoxfan
05-31-2008, 08:13 PM

We have the 2nd worst offense in the AL. That's plenty to be worried about, I would think.

fquaye149

last I checked the season isn't decided in a few days

turners56

Those Twinkies are at our doorsteps.

Frater Perdurabo

I'm concerned about the offense's apparent chronic case of rectal-cranial inversion.

KnightSox
Why on earth would you be worried about a first place team.Todays first place team is tomorrows three games back when we waste outings like todays.

fquaye149
We have the 2nd worst offense in the AL. That's plenty to be worried about, I would think.

last I checked the season wasn't decided by whether we have the 2nd worst offense in the AL or not

TomBradley72
I don't know if the problem is Greg Walker or the way the team is constructed (ie "Lets hit homeruns! Yay!!") or if we're just old, but this is getting to be revolting. I'm tired of seeing Swisher and Thome strike out. At least Konerko occasionally makes contact. This team is just a bad offensive team, simple as that.

I'm in the "way the team is constructed" camp.

Some of the relatively basic offensive skills we're not capable of:

Stealing a base
Going from 1st to 3rd on a single (2/3's of line up)
Scoring from 2nd on a single (2/3's of line up)
Scoring from 1st on a double (2/3's of line up)
Laying down a bunt
Executing a hit and run
Hitting the ball to the right side to advance the runner
Scoring from 3rd on an average fly ball (2/3's of line up)Between our lack of speed and lack of bat control (ie. hackers)...our offense is very difficult to get started. I don't think a new hitting coach is the answer. The team make up needs to change.

CHISOXFAN13
05-31-2008, 08:14 PM
This is just one of those games where you have to just tip your cap to the starting pitcher. Kazmir is one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Now, you've gotta go out there tomorrow and give Buehrle some RUN SUPPORT!

He pitched seven innings. What was the excuse for not getting the job done against a congolomerate of **** relievers?

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2008, 08:14 PM

:rolling:

Viva Medias B's
05-31-2008, 08:15 PM
What exactly would canning Greg Walker accomplish? Good cases pro and con could be made on whether or not he should be fired, but what is to guarantee that whoever would replace him would be an improvement?

Meanwhile, the Yankees are currently bailing us out again as they lead Minnesota 4-3 in the top of the 6th.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 08:16 PM

I'm sure that would do it. :o:

southsideirish71
last I checked the season isn't decided in a few days

How many years does a sox offense need to be bad before you get worried. 2 years?

We have 7 starts where we have lost when our pitching has held the opposition to 2 or less runs. At some point we need to score runs, we cannot hope that the team pitches like Cy Young all year long. Even the 05 team had a bad month, August 05 where the pitching just dropped off a bit and we started to see losses. Our offense is bad, it doesnt need to be the best, we just need to be a functional offense.

TomBradley72

We're 7th in runs scored. Not great...but not 2nd to last.

itsnotrequired
05-31-2008, 08:17 PM

Stealing a base
Laying down a bunt
Executing a hit and run
Scoring from 3rd on an average fly ball (2/3's of line up)Between our lack of speed and lack of bat control (ie. hackers)...our offense is very difficult to get started. I don't think a new hitting coach is the answer. The team make up needs to change.

5 of those 8 points are based on the team being full of slow players. Firing Greg Walker, Ozzie, KW, Don Cooper, Southpaw, etc. will not change this fact

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2008, 08:17 PM

Stealing a base
Laying down a bunt
Executing a hit and run

I agree.

Changing the hitting coach won't change the homer-first organizational philosophy.

The organization prizes power over all other skills when deciding who to draft and who to promote.

The organization prizes power over all other skills when deciding how to allocate resources to position players.

Sockinchisox
05-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Yankees up 6-3 on the Twins.

TomBradley72
5 of those 8 points are based on the team being full of slow players. Firing Greg Walker, Ozzie, KW, Don Cooper, Southpaw, etc. will not change this fact

I agree. If we could do some of these basic things...it's like WD-40 to an offense...and you can scratch out another run or two each game. The way we're pitching, that would make a huge difference.

We NEVER pressure the other team's defense. Never. I mean...never.

Frater Perdurabo
the team being full of slow players.

Is this a problem to you, or not?

It is to me.

fquaye149
05-31-2008, 08:20 PM
How many years does a sox offense need to be bad before you get worried. 2 years?

We have 7 starts where we have lost when our pitching has held the opposition to 2 or less runs. At some point we need to score runs, we cannot hope that the team pitches like Cy Young all year long. Even the 05 team had a bad month, August 05 where the pitching just dropped off a bit and we started to see losses. Our offense is bad, it doesnt need to be the best, we just need to be a functional offense.

The game isn't played on paper

Viva Medias B's
05-31-2008, 08:21 PM

Thank you, New York.

whitesoxfan
05-31-2008, 08:21 PM
last I checked the season wasn't decided by whether we have the 2nd worst offense in the AL or not

I know we have a long way to go, but we're far enough into the season to know that we don't have a real good offense.

I'd like to see the records of teams with the 2nd worst offense in the AL in past years. That would truly be the telltale sign to show how much our pitching has really bailed us out this year because I doubt many other teams that have had the 2nd worst offense in the American League have had a record of 5 over .500 on June 1.

If the hitting was just mediocre, this team would have an amazing record right now. Too bad that's not the case and it could come back to bite us in the ass.

itsnotrequired
05-31-2008, 08:22 PM
The organization prizes power over all other skills when deciding who to draft and who to promote.

The first six picks by the Sox last year were pitchers. In 2006 it was the first three and five of the first seven. In 2005 it was the first two and nine of the first eleven. 2004 they went with Fields but their next three picks were pitchers and after picking Lucy, six of their next seven were pitchers.

itsnotrequired
05-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Is this a problem to you, or not?

It is to me.

I personally would rather see more balance but that is something they should try to do in the offseason, not now.

This team is what it is, for better or worse...

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2008, 08:25 PM
The first six picks by the Sox last year were pitchers. In 2006 it was the first three and five of the first seven. In 2005 it was the first two and nine of the first eleven. 2004 they went with Fields but their next three picks were pitchers and after picking Lucy, six of their next seven were pitchers.

I meant to say among position players, they tend to draft power hitters and tend to promote players who hit for power.

JB98
05-31-2008, 08:26 PM

I'd still fire Southpaw, just to make a point.

NDSox12
05-31-2008, 08:26 PM
We're 7th in runs scored. Not great...but not 2nd to last.

Thanks for pointing this out. Its pretty ridiculous to use batting average as the stat of choice for calling the Sox the second worst offense in the AL.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2008, 08:28 PM
If I was a pitcher and was throwing as well as they have been only to consistently be victimized by lack of run support, I'd be royally pissed off.

JB brings up an interesting number with losses where you hold the opponent to two runs or less....it's now nine losses where you hold the opponent to three runs or less to go along with being shutout six times.

Honestly I think some of these "hitters" are done and Kenny is going to have to somehow pull some trades next month (July).

I don't want to hear about "tipping you cap" and "when the weather gets warm..."

Sorry I've heard that a lot since the start of the 2007 season. How many times do you go to the well "hoping" something will change? At what point do you finally have to say, "it's not working?"

One season, two seasons, five seasons?

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
05-31-2008, 08:29 PM
I personally would rather see more balance but that is something they should try to do in the offseason, not now.

This team is what it is, for better or worse...

I'd rather try to find a way to re-load on the fly. The pitching is just too good to let it be wasted.

The good news is the Sox have a lot of home games coming up in June. If the hitters can't start hitting at home when the weather is nice and the ballpark is full, then they almost have to to something, don't you think?

itsnotrequired
05-31-2008, 08:29 PM
I meant to say among position players, they tend to draft power hitters and tend to promote players who hit for power.

I won't argue that. If you can hit, you get moved up.

They still draft too many pitchers with their first picks.

Soxman219
05-31-2008, 08:32 PM
If I was a pitcher and was throwing as well as they have been only to consistently be victimized by lack of run support, I'd be royally pissed off.

JB brings up an interesting number with losses where you hold the opponent to two runs or less....it's now nine losses where you hold the opponent to three runs or less to go along with being shutout six times.

Honestly I think some of these "hitters" are done and Kenny is going to have to somehow pull some trades next month (July).

I don't want to here about "tipping you cap" and "when the weather gets warm..."

Sorry I've heard that a lot since the start of the 2007 season. How many times do you go to the well "hoping" something will change? At what point do you finally have to say, "it's not working?"

Lip

Amen to that!

JB98
05-31-2008, 08:32 PM

I don't want to here about "tipping you cap" and "when the weather gets warm..."

Lip

I think KW needs to get us another hitter or maybe two at the trade deadline. I mean, if the division stays weak, we might be able to scrap out a division title as we are.

But the stated goal of this organization is to win a world championship. We're "going for it" as long as KW is in that GM seat. He never misses a chance to remind the world of that fact. That being the case, this club needs some help offensively if we're going to get to the playoffs and win once we get there.

KnightSox
05-31-2008, 08:33 PM
I'd still fire Southpaw, just to make a point.Welcome back Ribbie and Roobarb!

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 08:34 PM

It's all about pitching. Look at the NL Champs from 2007, they can't pitch this year and are at the bottom of the heap. You never can have too much pitching. 2005?

munchman33
05-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Having speed and bat control suck. We need more high OPS+ guys to break out of this slump.

southsideirish71
05-31-2008, 08:41 PM
The game isn't played on paper

On paper we have a good offense, in reality. Not so good.

JB98
05-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Welcome back Ribbie and Roobarb!

By canning Southpaw, we'll show everybody that we mean business.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 08:43 PM
On paper we have a good offense, in reality. Not so good.

On paper, we're in first place, in reality, we're in first place.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2008, 08:45 PM
It's Not brings up a valid point, there may only be so much you can do to change things even at the trade deadline. It takes two to make a deal and the Sox minor league system isn't that hot. It's possible the Sox will only be able to make a minor move or two and have to hope these guys finally snap out of it. That's not exactly encouraging but it may be reality.

Fquaye says "the game isn't played on paper..." That's interesting...I thought it was to all the stat-geeks.

:D:

Lip

RockJock07
05-31-2008, 08:45 PM

False. Although it would be nice to find a nice positional player once in a while besides Fields. I haven't done alot of research on this years draft but i've heard it's middle infielder heavy.

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2008, 08:55 PM
I agree.

Changing the hitting coach won't change the homer-first organizational philosophy.

The organization prizes power over all other skills when deciding how to allocate resources to position players.
I think it's clear that I'm not exactly a "fan" of Kenny (though I will give him credit where it's due, he's put together a GREAT pitching staff this year and absolutely stole Quentin) but his MO since he took over has been getting guys who hit HRs. There was one year that he went out and got guys who were capable of moving guys over, stealing a base, etc. and that was '05. I don't know why he's so averse to doing that again. Although, to be fair, there are a lot more guys who can hit HRs available then there are guys who are capable of doing the little things.

whitesox901
05-31-2008, 08:59 PM
I'd still fire Southpaw, just to make a point.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/WHITESOX901/630495-R1-10-12A.jpg

JB98
05-31-2008, 09:00 PM

Yanks blew it. 6-6 now.

Viva Medias B's
05-31-2008, 09:05 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/WHITESOX901/630495-R1-10-12A.jpg
"This, too, shall pass," as Ditka said on the day of his firing.

whitesox901
05-31-2008, 09:07 PM
"This, too, shall pass," as Ditka said on the day of his firing.

Oh ****, did I get banned agian?

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 09:08 PM
I think it's clear that I'm not exactly a "fan" of Kenny (though I will give him credit where it's due, he's put together a GREAT pitching staff this year and absolutely stole Quentin) but his MO since he took over has been getting guys who hit HRs. There was one year that he went out and got guys who were capable of moving guys over, stealing a base, etc. and that was '05. I don't know why he's so averse to doing that again. Although, to be fair, there are a lot more guys who can hit HRs available then there are guys who are capable of doing the little things.

Lets see here, Pods, Blum, PK, Crede, all hit game winning HR's in the 05 playoffs/Series. And I'm sure I missed a few.

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Lets see here, Pods, Blum, PK, Crede, all hit game winning HR's in the 05 playoffs/Series. And I'm sure I missed a few.
I don't think Crede hit a HR that post season. You're probably thinking of his walk off double...

So those guys all hit HRs? So what? The '05 offense had balance, and most KW teams don't have that. The one time they did, they won it all (though that was due largely to great pitching).

DickAllen72
05-31-2008, 09:12 PM

I don't want to hear about "tipping you cap" and "when the weather gets warm..."

Lip

Now that May is over with I think it's safe to say about this team is what you've seen is what you've got. This team hasn't hit for two years now, and I don't think you can keep waiting for Thome, Konerko and the rest to all start hitting at once. It is what it is.

The Sox have been getting great pitching and they are five games over .500. The pitching will likely falter some and the hitting may pick up some. But with this team as it stands they are about an 84-88 win team led by great pitching with mediocre offense.

If Cleveland and Detroit continue to suck the Sox may have a chance to contend with the Twins for most of the season.

But as you say, if they want to be serious WS contenders, something must be done before the trade deadline. I just can't imagine what KW would be able to pull off.

RadioheadRocks
05-31-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't think Crede hit a HR that post season. You're probably thinking of his walk off double...

So those guys all hit HRs? So what? The '05 offense had balance, and most KW teams don't have that. The one time they did, they won it all (though that was due largely to great pitching).

Crede hit the HR in Game #1 off Wandy Rodriguez that put the Sox ahead 4-3 at that time, then made those stellar plays at third. He also hit the HR off Oswalt in Game #3 that started off that rally in the 5th inning.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 09:13 PM

It's always about pitching. Keep the great pitching up and good things will happen.

whitesox901
05-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Crede hit the HR in Game #1 off Wandy Rodriguez that put the Sox ahead 4-3 at that time, then made those stellar plays at third.

And untied it in the ALCS Game 5 with a HR.. I Beleave

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Now that May is over with I think it's safe to say about this team is what you've seen is what you've got. This team hasn't hit for two years now, and I don't think you can keep waiting for Thome, Konerko and the rest to all start hitting at once. It is what it is.

The Sox have been getting great pitching and they are five games over .500. The pitching will likely falter some and the hitting may pick up some. But with this team as it stands they are about an 84-88 win team led by great pitching with mediocre offense.

If Cleveland and Detroit continue to suck the Sox may have a chance to contend with the Twins for most of the season.

But as you say, if they want to be serious WS contenders, something must be done before the trade deadline. I just can't imagine what KW would be able to pull off.

If the Cards can win the WS in 06, anything can happen.

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2008, 09:19 PM
It's always about pitching. Keep the great pitching up and good things will happen.
Yes pitching helps, but so does having an offense that can win without needing to hit a HR. This offense is going to be red hot at times and other times won't be able to buy a hit which is maddeningly frusturating. But I agree if we keep pitching like this we'll at least be in the playoffs.

And I forgot about game one. My bad!

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Yes pitching helps, but so does having an offense that can win without needing to hit a HR. This offense is going to be red hot at times and other times won't be able to buy a hit which is maddeningly frusturating. But I agree if we keep pitching like this we'll at least be in the playoffs.

How do you think other teams think when WE have good pitching? Sometimes you get hitting and sometimes you don't.

A. Cavatica
05-31-2008, 09:27 PM

So is Vazquez.

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2008, 09:33 PM
How do you think other teams think when WE have good pitching? Sometimes you get hitting and sometimes you don't.
We've had good pitching on every game this series, yet have only won one game. The Rays haven't been hitting the cover off the ball against us, but they get timely hits and run us to death. I'd like to see us be able to do that.

thomas35forever
05-31-2008, 09:34 PM
Gooch's go-ahead shot against Boston.

NDSox12
05-31-2008, 09:36 PM
And untied it in the ALCS Game 5 with a HR.. I Beleave

He also hit a home run in Game 3 of the World Series. So I believe he had 3 home runs that postseason.

EDIT: Upon further review, he also had a HR in Game 1 of the ALCS (you'd think I would have remembered that since I was at the game). So that was 4 HR in the postseason.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 09:39 PM
We've had good pitching on every game this series, yet have only won one game. The Rays haven't been hitting the cover off the ball against us, but they get timely hits and run us to death. I'd like to see us be able to do that.

From what I remember, we were behind on Thursday and came back to win. I guess that's not timely.

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2008, 09:39 PM
He also hit a home run in Game 3 of the World Series. So I believe he had 3 home runs that postseason.
Ok, so I was three off!!! :cool:

I still fail to see how citing all of these post season homeruns does anything to counter the argument that Kenny's offenses tend to be unbalanced and hence do not get the job done.

NDSox12
05-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Ok, so I was three off!!! :cool:

I still fail to see how citing all of these post season homeruns does anything to counter the argument that Kenny's offenses tend to be unbalanced and hence do not get the job done.

I don't disagree... just trying to get the facts straight :smile:

Lip Man 1
05-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Chicken:

Someone else posted the Sox are 3-14 in games where they don't hit a home run.

You have to be able to score some other way when you can't hit one (or two or three) out.

This team can't run, can't steal a base, can't execute fundamentals and has a hell of a time scoring from second base on a single.

I'd say it's an issue... don't you?

Unless of course, you can guarantee me they'll hit three, two run home runs a game, every game for the rest of the season. In that case, they don't have any issues and I agree with your thinking.

The Sox, as you probably know, haven't won a game this year when going into the 8th inning or later behind in the game and have won "only" (I don't know how that compares to other teams) three times when trailing going into the 7th inning or later.

As others have said many times, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a home run, unless that is the ONLY way you can score runs in a game.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2008, 09:42 PM
From what I remember, we were behind on Thursday and came back to win. I guess that's not timely.
We won 5-1 on Thursday. Maybe we were down a run early on, but if I recall correctly we didn't wind up using Jenks or Linebrink...maybe I'm dead wrong, but I don't think we came back to win...the fact of the matter is though we're still 3-14 when we don't hit HRs which suggests to me we are rather reliant on the long ball and not a very balanced team offensively. If this team were just a LITTLE bit more balanced we could be running away with the division right now. But hopefully the bats get hot and we wind up running away with it anyways.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2008, 09:46 PM
White:

The Sox have rallied to win three games this year when trailing in the 7th inning or later. All the rallies came in the 7th inning of the games on April 7th, May 26th and May 28th.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2008, 09:48 PM
White:

The Sox have rallied to win three games this year when trailing in the 7th inning or later. All the rallies came in the 7th inning of the games on April 7th, May 26th and May 28th.

Lip
That's another very depressing stat. Oh well. Like I said, this offense is going to be red hot at times and other times will look like a high school offense. Hopefully it gets red hot pretty soon and stays that way for awhile.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Chicken:

You have to be able to score some other way when you can't hit one (or two or three) out.

This team can't run, can't steal a base, can't execute fundamentals and has a hell of a time scoring from second base on a single.

Unless of course, you can guarantee me they'll hit three, two run home runs a game, every game for the rest of the season. In that case, they don't have any issues and I agree with your thinking.

Lip

Lip,

The Sox are built for the Cell. Right now we have played 11 more games on the road than at home. Tomorrow will be 12. All I'm saying is let's even up that and then take another look. If the pitching continues, this could be fun.

i

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Lip,

The Sox are built for the Cell. Right now we have played 11 more games on the road than at home. Tomorrow will be 12. All I'm saying is let's even up that and then take another look. If the pitching continues, this could be fun.

i
I really hate the idea of building for your park, especially since only half of our games are played there. I really don't mind the idea of having a lot of power hitters so much (as your 3-4-5-6 guys) but then you need to have a leadoff guy with good speed who can get on, a two guy with great bat control and ideally decent speed (OC is a PERFECT two hitter) and 7-8-9 would be guys who can get down bunts and steal some bases. That's just how I'd like to see this team built, but again it's easy for me to sit here and type that and it's a lot harder for anyone to get that done.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 10:03 PM
I really hate the idea of building for your park, especially since only half of our games are played there. I really don't mind the idea of having a lot of power hitters so much (as your 3-4-5-6 guys) but then you need to have a leadoff guy with good speed who can get on, a two guy with great bat control and ideally decent speed (OC is a PERFECT two hitter) and 7-8-9 would be guys who can get down bunts and steal some bases. That's just how I'd like to see this team built, but again it's easy for me to sit here and type that and it's a lot harder for anyone to get that done.

But AJ, Thome, and PK all have stolen bases this year. :D:

cws05champ
05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Yanks just took a 7-6 lead on the Twins...

cws05champ
05-31-2008, 10:39 PM
This is most frustrating 1st place team ever. You have to give Greg Walker max 2 weeks for this offense to turn it around. If by mid June the same **** is happening, he needs to go. It probably would not help the slumpers(Thome, Konerko etc) as far as hitting instruction, but it would put a shock into the team a bit. a lot of times you will see an instant boost just because of this type of move.

Let's get a split tomorrow and I'll be happy with the roadtrip....

pierzynski07
05-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Did anyone else find it odd that Dave freakin Kaplan was hosting the Sox special?

NDSox12
05-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Took a while, but....

:twinslose

Sockinchisox
05-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Twins just lost.

JB98
05-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Twins just lost.

Only Kansas City won among AL Central teams today.

Nothing gained, nothing lost. Try again tomorrow.

GlassSox
05-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Chicken:

The Sox, as you probably know, haven't won a game this year when going into the 8th inning or later behind in the game and have won "only" (I don't know how that compares to other teams) three times when trailing going into the 7th inning or later.

As others have said many times, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a home run, unless that is the ONLY way you can score runs in a game.

Lip

I don't know about others but I'd say it's an issue also. Fundamentals are lacking and they are terrible on the base path.

Bill Naharodny
05-31-2008, 10:49 PM

It's also the kind of team that goes to die in the Metrodome.

You have to be able to execute. This team doesn't. Problem.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Glass:

Good point...Crede got picked off second tonight and Cabrera was thrown out (yet again) on the bases last night.

The Tribune has the post mortum game story now up and Ozzie is quoted as saying "what can you do...everyone is slumping."

Granted he's right but as a fan you'd just wish he'd try something, rip apart the clubhouse, get everyone drunk, something...even if it's the wrong thing.

It has to be better than "what can you do?"

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Chicken:

Maybe it's just my imagination but I think these guys haven't hit all that well at home either.

Lip

delben91
05-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Glass:

Good point...Crede got picked off second tonight and Cabrera was thrown out (yet again) on the bases last night.

The Tribune has the post mortum game story now up and Ozzie is quoted as saying "what can you do...everyone is slumping."

Granted he's right but as a fan you'd just wish he'd try something, rip apart the clubhouse, get everyone drunk, something...even if it's the wrong thing.

It has to be better than "what can you do?"

Lip

To a point he's tried re-shuffling the line-up. Initially moving Konerko and Thome down and Dye and Quentin up. He's been shifting Swisher lower and lower, and tried Ramirez in the 2 spot today. If I recall he even tried putting Anderson and Ozuna in the same starting lineup in the past week, as well as a few other starts for Anderson.

Maybe there's more he can try off the field, and your point on that is noted. I just think it's also worth noting that on the field he's been trying, at least in terms of the lineup...

Bill Naharodny
05-31-2008, 11:09 PM
To a point he's tried re-shuffling the line-up. Initially moving Konerko and Thome down and Dye and Quentin up. He's been shifting Swisher lower and lower, and tried Ramirez in the 2 spot today. If I recall he even tried putting Anderson and Ozuna in the same starting lineup in the past week, as well as a few other starts for Anderson.

Maybe there's more he can try off the field, and your point on that is noted. I just think it's also worth noting that on the field he's been trying, at least in terms of the lineup...

I'd bat Swisher 12th.

FarWestChicago
05-31-2008, 11:18 PM
If I was a pitcher and was throwing as well as they have been only to consistently be victimized by lack of run support, I'd be royally pissed off.Lip, this means nothing. You are always royally pissed off. You are truly a crotchety old man. :D:

ChiSoxGirl
05-31-2008, 11:20 PM
We must lead MLB in quality start losses.

Wow. I wrote my TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3598) just now without even looking at WSI until I needed the Pick to Click result, and the title for my report is the same as the Postgame thread title! :mg:

Viva Medias B's
05-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Well, let's look at this two-game losing streak this way: Our magic number went down by two. Of course, it's way too early to even think about something like that, but we did move two steps closer to the divisional title.

GlassSox
05-31-2008, 11:21 PM

You're right about juggling the line up and maybe it's something about off the field or in preparation or in coaching. What's most frustrating for me to watch is the poor execution of basics and fundamentals. It's understandable watching a rookie make a rookie mistake but horrible to watch a veteran make a rookie mistake.

Ozzie has to do something but what is it? He sounds as frustrated or more frustrated than us. I can only imagine how it must be eating at him. Maybe another writer was correct, do something maybe fire Southpaw..... Rip the locker room up, put a coach or two on notice, bench some underperforming guys, or something.

I like giving BA more chances to improve and maybe some time for Richar when he can come up but I'm tired of Uribe.

champagne030
05-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, let's look at this two-game losing streak this way: Our magic number went down by two. Of course, it's way too early to even think about something like that, but we did move two steps closer to the divisional title.

Not for our resident homer.........

2008 Magic Number (to make post season) - 98 as of 5/30/08

Mohoney
06-01-2008, 12:34 AM

He's worried because the 1st place team in question has shown a serious flaw that can hamper its attempts to stay a 1st place team.

If this offense was simply mediocre, we would be 4 or 5 games up right now instead of 2 games up.

Both teams were flat the past 2 days and failed to cash in on RISP chances. Instead of splitting the 2 games, we lose both, and that's pretty disheartening.

I'm willing to wait this out until the end of June. If I don't see any signs of life, then I'm going to have no choice but to join the mob calling for Greg Walker's head. 2 full years (2nd half of 2006-present) and over 300 games is more than enough leeway.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2008, 01:12 AM

The Sox are now 0-20 when trailing after seven innings.
White Sox are now 27-11 when they homer. 3-14 when they do not.
Hey, that's Lip's job.:D:

For the 267th consecutive postgame thread, fire Greg Walker.
Yes, please do.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2008, 01:23 AM
What exactly would canning Greg Walker accomplish? Good cases pro and con could be made on whether or not he should be fired, but what is to guarantee that whoever would replace him would be an improvement?First of all, it would add some accountability to this team. His teams have been horrible since the middle of 2006. His offense cost the Sox a playoff appearance in 2006 (even more so than the crappy pitching). If you say "failure is ok, go get em tomorrow", it doesn't breed success. Also, maybe it would put a scare into someone. Maybe this would wake them up and let them know they could be headed out of town soon. Basically, he is a horrible hitting coach, and needs to be replaced.

There is no guarantee the new hitting coach would be any better, but honestly, there is no way he could possibly be worse. Walker's approach clearly isn't working. His philosophy hasn't helped the hitters. The offense is terrible, and we have a lot of talent. Maybe the next hitting coach will be competent. Maybe he will correctly prepare the hitters for the pitchers they will face. Maybe he will fix swings instead of telling guys to watch tapes of themselves hitting tape measured shots. Either way, there is no way this team can hit any worse than they are right now. The change needs to be made.

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2008, 01:28 AM

Why even show up to play baseball with that kind of crap ass thinking:rolleyes:

The Sox players all should have been doing their famous hat tipping ritual to Kazmir before rolling out of bed Saturday morning.

God I hope the team does not think the same way some of our fans do.

UofCSoxFan
06-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Hey at least the Twins, Indians and Tigers all lost. I think if we ever get the offense going we'll run away with the division...but there is no guarantee that will ever happen.

Domeshot17
06-01-2008, 01:45 AM
First of all, it would add some accountability to this team. His teams have been horrible since the middle of 2006. His offense cost the Sox a playoff appearance in 2006 (even more so than the crappy pitching). If you say "failure is ok, go get em tomorrow", it doesn't breed success. Also, maybe it would put a scare into someone. Maybe this would wake them up and let them know they could be headed out of town soon. Basically, he is a horrible hitting coach, and needs to be replaced.

There is no guarantee the new hitting coach would be any better, but honestly, there is no way he could possibly be worse. Walker's approach clearly isn't working. His philosophy hasn't helped the hitters. The offense is terrible, and we have a lot of talent. Maybe the next hitting coach will be competent. Maybe he will correctly prepare the hitters for the pitchers they will face. Maybe he will fix swings instead of telling guys to watch tapes of themselves hitting tape measured shots. Either way, there is no way this team can hit any worse than they are right now. The change needs to be made.

Im not backing Walker anymore. I think 2007 should be as much on Kenny as it is Walk because Walk was dealing with half a lineup of guys who flat out sucked and would suck for anyone (Uribe, Owens, Terrero, Gonzalez Cintron etc). This year he has no excuse.

My only arguement is 2006 is pretty hard to pin on the offense. It was not great, but Buehrle and Contreras were AWEFUL in the 2nd half. Those 2 alone cost us more than anything else a shot at the postseason. Add to the fact Javy was struggling to get out of the 5th and 6th innings, it was more on the pitching. As much as it let us down at times, Offense was the main reason Garland won 18 games that year, because he was pretty rough on the mound too.

gobears1987
06-01-2008, 01:45 AM
It's all about pitching. Look at the NL Champs from 2007, they can't pitch this year and are at the bottom of the heap. You never can have too much pitching. 2005?
We have a winner.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2008, 02:05 AM
We have a winner.
You're right, you can never have too much pitching, but it's awfully hard to win without scoring.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2008, 05:39 AM
You're right, you can never have too much pitching, but it's awfully hard to win without scoring.

Right. You can't win a game 0-0.

FarWestChicago
06-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Right. You can't win a game 0-0.:tool

I like tied games!

Soxman219
06-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Hey at least the Twins, Indians and Tigers all lost. I think if we ever get the offense going we'll run away with the division...but there is no guarantee that will ever happen.

Luckily. But we can't always rely on these teams to lose if we can't win. We need to start winning to widen this lead. This month is a good time to start with having more home games. If nothing changes by the end of the month, fire Greg Walker.

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 10:08 AM
He's worried because the 1st place team in question has shown a serious flaw that can hamper its attempts to stay a 1st place team.

If this offense was simply mediocre, we would be 4 or 5 games up right now instead of 2 games up.

Both teams were flat the past 2 days and failed to cash in on RISP chances. Instead of splitting the 2 games, we lose both, and that's pretty disheartening.

I'm willing to wait this out until the end of June. If I don't see any signs of life, then I'm going to have no choice but to join the mob calling for Greg Walker's head. 2 full years (2nd half of 2006-present) and over 300 games is more than enough leeway.

Maybe you don't understand. They. Are. In. First. Place.

Typical dark clouds, raining on our first place parade with baloney stathead mumbo jumbo about "runs scored" and "batting average".

Last I checked, they don't play the games on paper

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Typical dark clouds, raining on our first place parade with baloney stathead mumbo jumbo about "runs scored" and "batting average".

They. Can't. Score. A. Run. To. Save. Their. Lives.

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 10:14 AM
They. Can't. Score. A. Run. To. Save. Their. Lives.

Stats like "runs" don't win championships.

kittle42
06-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Yes, thankfully, this team is in first place.

This team should have more wins, and has lost winnable games, because lac of hitting has been a consistent problem. If some other team in the division gets hot, we'll have wanted those games back. It is a continuing and significant issue.

But go ahead, bury your head in the sand on this one.

kittle42
06-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Ah, nevermind. Just realized you were doing shtick.

voodoochile
06-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Why even show up to play baseball with that kind of crap ass thinking:rolleyes:

The Sox players all should have been doing their famous hat tipping ritual to Kazmir before rolling out of bed Saturday morning.

God I hope the team does not think the same way some of our fans do.

Ditto, but for opposite reasons I suspect...

roadrunner
06-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Last I checked, They. don't. crown. division. winners. in. June.

Additonally, "runs scored" and "batting average" are not mumbo jumbo stathead words. They are words basic to any baseball fans vocabulary. Pulling out a phrase like "baloney stathead mumbo jumbo" in relation to said words only serves as an indicator to your level of sophistication as a fan.

We were 24-20 last year and how did that work out. First place is nice, but we aren't going anywhere unless the offense can score some runs. It's perfectly reasonable to be concerned and examine possible solutions.

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Additonally, "runs scored" and "batting average" are not mumbo jumbo stathead words. They are words basic to any baseball fans vocabulary. Pulling out a phrase like "baloney stathead mumbo jumbo" in relation to said words only serves as an indicator to your level of sophistication as a fan.

We were 24-20 last year and how did that work out. First place is nice, but we aren't going anywhere unless the offense can score some runs. It's perfectly reasonable to be concerned and examine possible solutions.

Typical dark cloud, finding fault with a first place team

voodoochile
06-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Any fishing experts here? I think Roadrunner needs instructions on how to remove a hook from his beak...

roadrunner
06-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Typical dark cloud, finding fault with a first place team

you are correct sir

first place team = flawless team

now can anyone help me get rid of this damn hook?

JB98
06-01-2008, 12:59 PM

Let's see here....

The Sox won Game 2 of the World Series 7-6, recovering from a 4-2 deficit.

The Sox won Game 3 of the World Series 7-5, recovering from a 4-0 deficit against Houston's ace pitcher.

Yes, it's true. You need runs to win, and sometimes you must score runs against the opponent's top pitcher.

A. Cavatica
06-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey, didn't see this posted elsewhere yet: Jayson Stark has a "Criminally Unsupported Stat" leaderboard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

A Criminally Unsupported Start is defined as: starting pitcher goes 6+ innings, team scores no more than one run while he's in the game. Sox have 11 of these.

Amazingly, the Indians have 14, the Royals 13, and the Tigers 11 also. Of all the teams in the Central, only the Twins seem to support their starters more consistently than we do.

Buehrle is one of the individual leaders with 4 (though that includes starts where he lasted 6+ but gave up quite a few earned runs).

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Let's see here....

The Sox won Game 3 of the World Series 7-5, recovering from a 4-0 deficit against Houston's ace pitcher.

Yes, it's true. You need runs to win, and sometimes you must score runs against the opponent's top pitcher.

That just proves that anything can happen once you make the playoffs.

Thanks for making my point for me.

The 2005 world series shows that is why they play the games :shrug:

TheOldRoman
06-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Let's see here....

Yes, it's true. You need runs to win, and sometimes you must score runs against the opponent's top pitcher.JB, you are better than that. How are all these people falling for it?

All his posts are mocking Daver.

ArkanSox
06-01-2008, 02:37 PM
JB, you are better than that. How are all these people falling for it?

Ha, true--the Sox aren't struggling to stay out of last place in the division.

Peace, Daver. :D:

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 02:52 PM
JB, you are better than that. How are all these people falling for it?

Mocking is such a negative word. I prefer "emulating"

itsnotrequired
06-01-2008, 02:56 PM
fquaye is, in general, a huge pud sometimes

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
fquaye is, in general, a huge pud sometimes

Well, I am a professional engineer, so it's to be expected

itsnotrequired
06-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, I am a professional engineer, so it's to be expected

the time has come for the airing of grievances...

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 03:03 PM
the time has come for the airing of grievances...

nuh uh. This thread is about :soxlose:

pmck003
06-01-2008, 03:44 PM

"baloney stathead mumbo jumbo" is fantastic.

DrCrawdad
06-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm very happy the Sox are in first. I'm extremely happy with our starting pitchers. But the Sox are frustrating. It's frustrating to see so many runners left in scoring position. And the GIDP are frustrating too (although today the Sox did not hit into any).

With the starting pitching that we've seen from the Sox, we should be increasing our lead not treading water or in the case today, losing ground.