PDA

View Full Version : Batting practice Update

Lip Man 1
05-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Gang:

A few days ago it was posted about comments made by the Twins TV announcers on how the Sox take batting practice and the inference was that was part of the reason they simply can't hit very well.

I passed the info along to Mark Gonzales who said they were interesting, that he knew Dick Brenner was one of the more prepared play by play guys he's seen and that he'd look into it.

He got back to me this afternoon, for what it's worth and said the first two games of the Tampa trip he's noticed the Sox hitters all go the other way first with their at bats, then go through the "normal" part of the program.

He has not noticed any "home run derby" the past few days.

Just FYI.

Lip

itsnotrequired
05-31-2008, 02:32 PM
So what you're saying is, everyone who blew their tops over this "news" were overreacting.

Big surprise...

champagne030
05-31-2008, 02:42 PM
He has not noticed any "home run derby" the past few days.

Thank for the update.

So, are you suggesting that they've changed their approach the past few days?

They should also be bunting the first couple of pitches and then going to right for a couple of swings.........

Madvora
05-31-2008, 02:42 PM
So what you're saying is, everyone who blew their tops over this "news" were overreacting.

Big surprise...
I hope I'm not included as one who was considered to "blow my top." I just felt that this news shouldn't be dismissed by people just because it was "anti-white sox."

I felt that some people were treating this as if it was something that could not possibly be believed.

1. The Sox are terrible at situational hitting.
2. The Sox usually are at the top of the league in HRs
3. Someone says the Sox focus on HRs in batting practice

Conclusion - hmmm that's possible. How interesting!

TDog
05-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Thank for the update.

They should also be bunting the first couple of pitches and then going to right for a couple of swings.........

When I watched the Sox take batting practice in San Francisco the hitters did bunt on the first pitch and most bunted on the second.

I don't thing there was a long ball approach to batting practice to change.

jabrch
05-31-2008, 03:13 PM
I hope I'm not included as one who was considered to "blow my top." I just felt that this news shouldn't be dismissed by people just because it was "anti-white sox."

It should have been dismissed for the sheer insanity of it. There is no way in hell a baseball team plays "Home Run Derby" with batting practice. That's just not even remotely feasible. If they did, they wouldn't be in the top half of the league in runs scored. They'd suck - miserably.

The entire concept was so insanely stupid that I am shocked anyone even felt for a moment that it was possible.

That said, knowing some of our posters, I'm not surprised that it became yet another Fire Walker platform. Who needs facts to back up crap...

champagne030
05-31-2008, 03:20 PM
When I watched the Sox take batting practice in San Francisco the hitters did bunt on the first pitch and most bunted on the second.

That would be a change from the 10, or so, batting practices that I've seen over the past couple of years. It was "home run derby" for the most part....Glad to see that maybe someone made an issue of it and that it has changed.

Madvora
05-31-2008, 03:28 PM
It should have been dismissed for the sheer insanity of it. There is no way in hell a baseball team plays "Home Run Derby" with batting practice. That's just not even remotely feasible. If they did, they wouldn't be in the top half of the league in runs scored. They'd suck - miserably.

The entire concept was so insanely stupid that I am shocked anyone even felt for a moment that it was possible.

That said, knowing some of our posters, I'm not surprised that it became yet another Fire Walker platform. Who needs facts to back up crap...
If people literally believed that the Sox were having a home run derby, then yes, that is stupid and not to be believed.
The original post said that their batting practice looked like "a glorified home run contest." I took that to mean that they were focusing more on their HRs than anything else. That, I didn't find to be unbelievable.
It looks like this is another one of those misunderstandings over semantics again.

Lets just win another damn World Series.

itsnotrequired
05-31-2008, 03:30 PM

Let's take more stock in third-hand stories about something another team's announcer said.

Cell, sorry, sell.

:redneck

hawkjt
05-31-2008, 03:38 PM
I saw Ryan Dempster lay down a perfect bunt today for the cubs and he made it look so easy. Earlier he hit a double. I was thinking he handles the bat as well as some of our struggling hitters.

I think Ozzie should just make an announcement to the team that if we have men on 1st and 2nd,nobody out...we are bunting no matter who is up.
And follow thru. We need to scrap out runs right now and doubleplays are getting ridiculous.

Daver
05-31-2008, 03:42 PM
I saw Ryan Dempster lay down a perfect bunt today for the cubs and he made it look so easy. Earlier he hit a double. I was thinking he handles the bat as well as some of our struggling hitters.

That's the answer, let the pitchers bat.

Craig Grebeck
05-31-2008, 03:44 PM

I think Ozzie should just make an announcement to the team that if we have men on 1st and 2nd,nobody out...we are bunting no matter who is up.
And follow thru. We need to scrap out runs right now and doubleplays are getting ridiculous.
That's ridiculous.

Also, in the last four years I've seen the Sox take batting practice, they have never once played home run derby.

itsnotrequired
05-31-2008, 03:52 PM

Why doesn't Jim Thome hit to left? He is so selfish.

thomas35forever
05-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Thank for the update.

If the previous accusations were true, I should hope they did. However, every player can't bunt, especially those that have trouble with it.

TDog
05-31-2008, 04:06 PM

Mark Buehrle successfully sacrificed in a game in San Francisco. He also hit a ball into the rightfield corner, which would have been a double if he was running and but for the defense playing the ball well. He also missed a bunt on a third strike with two men on.

Technically, Buehrle is second on the team in hitting behind Toby Hall.

Not that I too wouldn't imply teal in suggesting the Sox should let the pitchers hit.

kevingrt
05-31-2008, 04:16 PM
To quote one of the greats:

"Practice! We talking about practice!?"

jabrch
05-31-2008, 05:06 PM
If people literally believed that the Sox were having a home run derby, then yes, that is stupid and not to be believed.
The original post said that their batting practice looked like "a glorified home run contest." I took that to mean that they were focusing more on their HRs than anything else. That, I didn't find to be unbelievable.
It looks like this is another one of those misunderstandings over semantics again.

I find it unfathomable that you really believe they were doing that...I didn't mean it literally - I meant it the same way you have it phrased. No professional baseball team would do that. And the fact that people are taking this douchebag Twins homer and believing it rather than doing an iota of research and then concluding that we should fire Walker because of it, is simply not shocking to me anymore. It's sad - but no longer shocking.