PDA

View Full Version : Worst thing a catcher can do . . .

ondafarm
05-31-2008, 02:22 PM
When your pitcher strikes out a dangerous batter, what is the worst thing, you, as the catcher can do?

Vestigio
05-31-2008, 02:29 PM
This poll reminds me of Josh Paul. Good times...

fquaye149
05-31-2008, 02:51 PM
i'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Am I missing something? Does this have to do w/ something that has happened recently?

The poster above is right. It completely depends on the situation

btrain929
05-31-2008, 02:53 PM
You need to make this more clear. If the pitcher struck the batter out, the catcher can do whatever the hell he wants, the batter is still out. So if you're saying what is the worst thing a catcher can do if it's a drop third or if theres no outs and bases loaded, etc, then this might make sense. If not, then the catcher can do all the things above and there's no penalty.

-Drop the ball: it happens. Throw it to 1st.
-Throw it into LF: If the batter is out and nobody is on, then nothing is hurt except your ego.
-Hit runner with your throw, if it's a drop 3rd, ok you gave him first. If you're throwing it back to the pitcher and he walks in front of you, oh well, he'll get over it.
-Forget to tag the batter: Again, only matters if it's a drop 3rd. 99.9% of the time when it is, you know to automatically tag the batter. Only exception: 2005.
-Lob ball back to pitcher. Is Rickey Henderson on 3rd and he's gonna steal home if you do this??

itsnotrequired
05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
What if the catcher has a machine gun?

DSpivack
05-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Spontaneously combust.

Daver
05-31-2008, 04:20 PM
When your pitcher strikes out a dangerous batter, what is the worst thing, you, as the catcher can do?

I need more information than this.

TDog
05-31-2008, 04:21 PM
You need to make this more clear. ...

I was thinking the same thing. If there is a man on first and less than two outs, dropping the ball isn't a big deal because it's still an out. If there are two outs and the bases are loaded, dropping the ball still isn't a big deal because there is a force at home. Of course, throwing the ball into leftfield isn't an issue if the strikeout ends the inning regardless if anyone is on base.

Harry Caray used to tell a story about Gabby Street, his first broadcast partner in St. Louis. There was always a lot of Cardinals content when Harry Caray was doing Sox games. I don't know if it was required in his contract, like the Canadian content rule on television north of the border, and I didn't hear him doing Cubs games, so I wouldn't know if there was any Cardinals and Sox content. But a number of times, Harry Caray talked about Gabby Street telling the story about catching a young pitcher (probably not even a Cardinals pitcher, and the story could have been made up, but I digress) working with a young pitcher on a shutout. The pressure was on. The pitcher loaded the bases with two outs. Street took it upon himself to throw the ball into the rightfield corner, ostensibly in a missed attempt to pick off the runner at first. All three runners scored, but the pressure was off and the pitcher got the hitter to win the game 4-3.

I've always understood that the worst thing anyone could do is lose.

itsnotrequired
05-31-2008, 04:23 PM
I need more information than this.

The dangerous batter also has a machine gun.

HomeFish
05-31-2008, 09:41 PM
At a Sox/Yankees game in 2003, I saw A-Rod drop the ball at third base on a post-strikeout throw around the bases. It was hilarious.

A. Cavatica
05-31-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm going to go with "stab the pitcher."

What do I win?

Daver
05-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Ondafarm is good at posting crap to try and draw in any takers, and running away when it doesn't work.

But he will bitch like a schoolgirl when he gets banned for his tactics.

FarWestChicago
06-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Ondafarm is good at posting crap to try and draw in any takers, and running away when it doesn't work.

But he will bitch like a schoolgirl when he gets banned for his tactics.:thumbsup:

Optipessimism
06-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Complain to the ump that the batter never struck out?

Vomit on the field?

Run to first base and then drop your pants?

Start crying?

Since we're not talking about an actual situation in a baseball game there are all kinds of possibilities here.

I want Mags back
06-01-2008, 03:02 AM
this thread confuses me

bnlfanmatt
06-01-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm going with the answer of "start an ambiguous thread that no one understands."

Scottiehaswheels
06-01-2008, 05:23 AM
I'm gonna answer lob the ball back to the pitcher, as everyone knows the first thing you're supposed to do after k'ing a guy is fire one on down to third. :tongue:

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 11:11 AM

But he will bitch like a schoolgirl when he gets banned for his tactics.

I think the "correct" answer has something to do with "when I played catcher in Japan...."

Bonus points if the phrase "master bunter" is involved