PDA

View Full Version : Everyone take a deep breath!!

JermaineDye05
05-30-2008, 09:26 PM
The Sox lost today yes, they're still 6 games over .500. Even if the Twins win today, they still hold a 1 game lead over them in the central. The Pitching has been amazing, that run today given up by Linebrink was the first run given up by the bp in I think 27 innings. They've been very good, just like the starters. The clutch hitting has been certainly hurting us yes, look at our record though even with the hitting being poor. I also believe this was like 34th or 35th quality start for our staff. We have a good team!! We just dropped a game to the Rays yes, but we also won last night. We have 2 more with them, and I know considering our luck down there a lot of us would take a split and call that a success.

WhiteSox5187
05-30-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm surprised I'm not freaking out over this loss, but like you said we are in first place and have had amazing pitching. If the pitching is like this all year we'll be contending. But it's always upsetting to just give games away like we did tonight and it again exposed the massive flaws in our one dimensional offense.

Also, I'm getting pretty tired of Swisher. Seems like a great guy, but ya know what? Billy Kotch was a great guy too, when you can't produce you're not of a great deal of value.

Patrick134
05-30-2008, 10:09 PM
The Sox lost today yes, they're still 6 games over .500. Even if the Twins win today, they still hold a 1 game lead over them in the central. The Pitching has been amazing, that run today given up by Linebrink was the first run given up by the bp in I think 27 innings. They've been very good, just like the starters. The clutch hitting has been certainly hurting us yes, look at our record though even with the hitting being poor. I also believe this was like 34th or 35th quality start for our staff. We have a good team!! We just dropped a game to the Rays yes, but we also won last night. We have 2 more with them, and I know considering our luck down there a lot of us would take a split and call that a success.

The way the Rays have been playing , of course splitting a 4 game series at their place would be a success.

pierzynski07
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
The Sox lost today yes, they're still 6 games over .500. Even if the Twins win today, they still hold a 1 game lead over them in the central. The Pitching has been amazing, that run today given up by Linebrink was the first run given up ....

SHUD UP! :upsidehead::stars:

Seriously, we all need to chill.

Frontman
05-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Swish needs a day or two off, let BA start. I wouldn't sit him tomorrow, as with the Rays throwing a leftie against the Sox; i would do the following for a lineup:

1 Cabrerra SS
2 Ramirez 2B
3 Quentin LF
4 Dye RF
5 Konerko DH
6 Crede 3B
7 Swisher 1B
8 Hall C
9 Anderson CF

Maybe switch Hall and Ramirez, as Alexei has found his grove at the end of the lineup. But rest Konerko by having him DH, rest Thome as its a leftie. Same with AJ. Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, rest Swish with Anderson out there.

But honestly, the reason isn't the fact that the Sox lost that got everyone in an uproar. Its the amount of Cubs love the media will be showering all weekend with their coming back down 9-1 against the Rockies that is annoying us.

The Sox are in first, with a 6 game over .500 record. I'm not about to go crazy because of it.

Looks like the Twins will lose, but even if they do; so what. The season isn't won OR lost with one single game, where BOTH TEAMS struggled to push runs across (a fact that seems to be lost by all who are going crazy over Greg Walker.)

itsnotrequired
05-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Deep breaths are for hyperventilaters. Long live the Iron Lung.

Corlose 15
05-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Threads like these are so damn annoying and unnecessary. Nobody is jumping off the ledge, nobody is claiming that the season is over.

The White Sox had multiple chances to score some runs early in this game on their way to a win and got NOTHING and it cost them the game. That is frustrating as hell especially considering that it has been a recurring theme this year.

Good grief, anytime anyone around here vents about a frustrating loss, somebody has to put up a "Step off the ledge, Take a deep breath etc." thread.

Just let people be pissed about a tough loss. And stop making an issue of out of nothing.:rolleyes:

jabrch
05-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Threads like these are so damn annoying and unnecessary. Nobody is jumping off the ledge, nobody is claiming that the season is over.

The White Sox had multiple chances to score some runs early in this game on their way to a win and got NOTHING and it cost them the game. That is frustrating as hell especially considering that it has been a recurring theme this year.

Good grief, anytime anyone around here vents about a frustrating loss, somebody has to put up a "Step off the ledge, Take a deep breath etc." thread.

Just let people be pissed about a tough loss. And stop making an issue of out of nothing.:rolleyes:

If a portion of our fans didn't overreact to one loss, this thread wouldn't exist.

Corlose 15
05-30-2008, 10:45 PM
If a portion of our fans didn't overreact to one loss, this thread wouldn't exist.

It also wouldn't exist if people didn't over-anticipate people's reactions to Sox losses.

There is nothing in the postgame thread that calls for this thread.

Domeshot17
05-30-2008, 10:53 PM
The root of this thread is just showing you can be the opposite of a dark cloud, which I don't know what to call that. Too much sunshine up somewhere it doesn't belong?

People have the right to be a little concerned. Our offense is pathetic. We lead the AL in home runs but aren't in the top 5 in runs or ops, not in the top 10 of Batting Average or hits. We have 1 guy completely carrying us (TCQ), AJ Crede and Dye have been hit or miss, and the rest of the lineup just miss. With the pitching we have, we should have 4-5 more wins and be cruising. What really worries me is what happens if we hit a 3-4 week patch where the pitching is just average, because we haven't proven we can win many games 6-5 or 8-6 etc.

Im not saying the offense is a lost cause, but it is totally lost. Swisher and Thome might have more success if they walk upped blindfolded.

hawkjt
05-31-2008, 12:43 AM
The only good thing tonite was they did get some guys on base with actual hits and walks; even tho they did not come thru, I feel slightly better about our hitting cept for clutchness.

It was a deflating loss due to our lack of execution but it's a long season.

SBSoxFan
05-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Looks like the Twins will lose, but even if they do; so what. The season isn't won OR lost with one single game, where BOTH TEAMS struggled to push runs across (a fact that seems to be lost by all who are going crazy over Greg Walker.)

For some reason, I was more frustrated after this game than at any point this season. Every game helps make a season. When you lose multiple games like this, it comes back to haunt you at the end. I see no reason not to think Vazquez and Contreras will continue to be solid and that Buehrle will get better. It's also possible Danks and Floyd will hit a bump in the road over the long haul. Better to have games like these in hand down the line.

I didn't see Tampa struggle to score runs; they really didn't have much chance to score any runs. Except for the first, did they ever have a man on second with none out or a man on third with less than 2 outs? Also, their first run scored after none on and 2 out. The Sox, on the other hand, wasted 3 scoring chances in the first 4 innings.

Frontman
05-31-2008, 05:57 AM
I didn't see Tampa struggle to score runs; they really didn't have much chance to score any runs. Except for the first, did they ever have a man on second with none out or a man on third with less than 2 outs? Also, their first run scored after none on and 2 out. The Sox, on the other hand, wasted 3 scoring chances in the first 4 innings.

That stat I don't have, but they did strand seven runners. There is the fact the Sox got runners into scoring position and then stranded them; but the Rays did get a few off the top of my head into scoring position.

Either way, bad game; time to bounce back.

SBSoxFan
05-31-2008, 06:20 AM
That stat I don't have, but they did strand seven runners. There is the fact the Sox got runners into scoring position and then stranded them; but the Rays did get a few off the top of my head into scoring position.

Either way, bad game; time to bounce back.

You're right, and usually they got that guy into scoring position via stolen base. It was very stressful. I'm glad Jose was out there instead of me. :cool: Nearly every walk or single turned into a double. I wish the Sox could do that once in awhile. Especially in a tight game.

FarWestChicago
05-31-2008, 07:23 AM
It also wouldn't exist if people didn't over-anticipate people's reactions to Sox losses.

There is nothing in the postgame thread that calls for this thread.Actually there is (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1909803&postcount=6). Oh, that was you going off the deep end. :redneck

HartmanSox
05-31-2008, 08:35 AM
The Sox offense is going to single handedly keep any Sox starter from making the All Star game, simply because the run support is non existent.

Corlose 15
05-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Actually there is (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1909803&postcount=6). Oh, that was you going off the deep end. :redneck

Hey now, that's just venting.:cool:

FarWestChicago
05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey now, that's just venting.:cool:It was a good rant. :smile:

Palehose Pete
05-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Are we there already? Gimme a break. The Sox are playing one of the best teams in baseball, and they're holding their own. Oh, and they're in first place. Get the **** off of the ledge....

RadioheadRocks
05-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Are we there already? Gimme a break. The Sox are playing one of the best teams in baseball, and they're holding their own. Oh, and they're in first place. Get the **** off of the ledge....

True, but most of us (including myself) are venting because there seems to be a never-ending pattern happening where their nonexistent hitting is wasting some amazing efforts from their pitchers. Should the pattern continue they're not going to stay in first place for long, ergo the frustration that's echoed throughout these boards over the past couple of days.

jabrch
05-31-2008, 10:27 PM

There is nothing in the postgame thread that calls for this thread.

Are you serious?

Read the game threads. Read the post game threads. If you really believe this...

HartmanSox
05-31-2008, 10:46 PM

Yeah, they're in first place in a division that is grossly under performing, and it's only a matter of time before these teams improve. The way we have been loosing games lately has been the only consistent factor, besides starting pitching.

A change MUST be made soon.

BRDSR
06-01-2008, 03:31 PM
(GASP! GASP!) I can't catch my breath!

But really, this may be "in it" for most of the season, but every two steps forward seems to be accompanied by 1.5 steps backwards. That might be a recipe for 85-88 wins, but I don't think it will hold up to get them into the playoffs. The offense HAS to get more consistent. They can't have very many streaks where they score 4 runs in 3 games.

KingXerxes
06-01-2008, 11:43 PM
(GASP! GASP!) I can't catch my breath!

But really, this may be "in it" for most of the season, but every two steps forward seems to be accompanied by 1.5 steps backwards. That might be a recipe for 85-88 wins, but I don't think it will hold up to get them into the playoffs. The offense HAS to get more consistent. They can't have very many streaks where they score 4 runs in 3 games.

Who in this division is an odds on favorite to win more than 88 games? Nobody that I've seen yet - other than the White Sox.

I cannot believe how manic the fandom gets. It's June 1st and the White Sox are in 1st. Did anybody honestly see that when the season began? No? Then why are so many people so miserable - not over this last game - but overall so miserable?

JB98
06-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Who in this division is an odds on favorite to win more than 88 games? Nobody that I've seen yet - other than the White Sox.

I cannot believe how manic the fandom gets. It's June 1st and the White Sox are in 1st. Did anybody honestly see that when the season began? No? Then why are so many people so miserable - not over this last game - but overall so miserable?

Because that's who we are as people. :D:

Vernam
06-01-2008, 11:50 PM
I cannot believe how manic the fandom gets. It's June 1st and the White Sox are in 1st. Did anybody honestly see that when the season began? No? Then why are so many people so miserable - not over this last game - but overall so miserable?Ask Ozzie, he knows. :cool:

This team is not good enough to have pissed away so many games. The "sit tight" argument held water in 2006. It was tried again in 2007. Nobody's buying it this year, not even the manager.

Vernam

Stringer
06-02-2008, 02:30 AM

he speaks the truth

itsnotrequired
06-02-2008, 07:19 AM

I'm relatively new to Sox fandom and have wondered this myself. Are other fanbases like this or are Sox fans known to be lunatics in general? Maybe it's a messageboard thing?

:dunno:

spawn
06-02-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm relatively new to Sox fandom and have wondered this myself. Are other fanbases like this or are Sox fans known to be lunatics in general? Maybe it's a messageboard thing?

I'd like to think most fanbases are lunatics. I belong to a couple of other sports franchises mesage boards, and it's pretty much the same. Euphoric highs, ledge-jumping lows. I guess it's the nature of the beast. I just try keeping things in perspective. I'm a fan, but it's only a game. There are mroe important things for me to get upset and angry over. Not saying I'm not upset when they lose, but 5 minutes later, I'm over it.

itsnotrequired
06-02-2008, 07:46 AM
I'd like to think most fanbases are lunatics. I belong to a couple of other sports franchises mesage boards, and it's pretty much the same. Euphoric highs, ledge-jumping lows. I guess it's the nature of the beast. I just try keeping things in perspective. I'm a fan, but it's only a game. There are mroe important things for me to get upset and angry over. Not saying I'm not upset when they lose, but 5 minutes later, I'm over it.

I was a Packer/Brewer fan growing up (still a fan of both) and don't remember it being so gnarly. Of course, I was a kid then so probably didn't pick up on it. I still follow both teams but being removed from Wisconsin, maybe I don't see their nuttiness as much.

veeter
06-02-2008, 07:58 AM

:dunno:It's the way the Sox are losing that's causing this. Had they gotten blown out in two of the losses to the Rays, there might have been some sympathy. Because the big picture shows a road weary, hard fighting team, that is in every single ball game. And, oh yea, that's in first place.

aryzner
06-02-2008, 08:06 AM
It's the way the Sox are losing that's causing this.
That is exactly why I feel frustrated. I'm happy we're in first but also unhappy because that lead should be by more than 1 game.

It's **** like last night that irks me the most. For example, in the 10th when we had a man on 3rd with 1 out and we couldn't get him in. If the Sox were scoring that run, I'd be fine. All I wanted was a sac fly or a groundout to the right side of the IF to get the run in, and it didn't happen. THAT'S why we're mad and we'll stay mad until they can start getting those things right.

oeo
06-02-2008, 08:17 AM
It's **** like last night that irks me the most. For example, in the 10th when we had a man on 3rd with 1 out and we couldn't get him in. If the Sox were scoring that run, I'd be fine. All I wanted was a sac fly or a groundout to the right side of the IF to get the run in, and it didn't happen.

Not to mention, they had an opportunity to put the game away in the 5th inning. Already a run in, with first and third, nobody out. We have our 3-4-5 hitters coming up, which is good news for every team except ours.

Methinks the atmosphere would be a little different around here had AJ not turned so quickly and pulled that blast foul.

People will mention the 10th inning, and it was terrible, but that 5th inning is what really sucked the air out of the team and lost the game.

itsnotrequired
06-02-2008, 08:34 AM
It's the way the Sox are losing that's causing this. Had they gotten blown out in two of the losses to the Rays, there might have been some sympathy. Because the big picture shows a road weary, hard fighting team, that is in every single ball game. And, oh yea, that's in first place.

I don't know about that. It seems whenever the Sox lose a few in a row, people start heading for the gallows. I saw it in 2005 ("this team has gotten lucky all year and it has finally run out"), again in 2006 ("too many hitters are putting up career numbers, it won't last"), 2007 was a disaster all the way around and now that the team has had some success, many refuse to believe. Wins are luck and losses are expected.

oeo
06-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I don't know about that. It seems whenever the Sox lose a few in a row, people start heading for the gallows. I saw it in 2005 ("this team has gotten lucky all year and it has finally run out"), again in 2006 ("too many hitters are putting up career numbers, it won't last"), 2007 was a disaster all the way around and now that the team has had some success, many refuse to believe. Wins are luck and losses are expected.

Look at the history of the team, there's not a whole lot to be confident about.

We're a feisty bunch. Unless it's a done deal (title won), there's always the weird feeling in your stomach that something is going to go wrong. After 2005, it felt like that changed for me, but now I'm right back to where I was.

voodoochile
06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
It's the way the Sox are losing that's causing this. Had they gotten blown out in two of the losses to the Rays, there might have been some sympathy. Because the big picture shows a road weary, hard fighting team, that is in every single ball game. And, oh yea, that's in first place.

LOL.. Your WHAT hurts?

If this team had gotten blown out, this place would be even more up for grabs with sky is falling, season is over posts. I mean the only thing preventing a whole board meltdown at this stage of the game is that the pitching is solid. If the pitching showed some signs of cracking, pfffft...

It'd be brutal...

voodoochile
06-02-2008, 08:58 AM

And they prefer to be known as realists and like to call the rest of us nuts...

Hitmen77
06-02-2008, 09:25 AM

Seriously, if the Sox had won that one single game yesterday, everything would be looking rosy to most people as we just took 2 of 3 in Cleveland and split a Rays team that has been almost unbeatable at home. I don't think the outcome of one game should be swinging people so dramatically from positive to gloom-and-doom.

That being said, I can understand peoples frustration at our offense. It is maddening to see Konerko, Thome, and Swisher stuck at .200. It's gone on long enough where fans begin to wonder if these guys are indeed going to snap out of it any day now - or if there are more serious problems with these hitters. Also, it isn't just fans, even Ozzie was heading for the gallows yesterday. If the manager is going to publicly say he's had enough with how our offense sucks and is calling on the GM for changes - that's not exactly going to boost the confidence of the fans.

russ99
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Well, big whoop. We went 3-3 on a 6 game road trip. If the Sox scuffle at home vs. the Royals and Twins, then we have something to worry about.

Also, maybe Ozzie's tirade yesterday was to shake up a lax attitude in the cliubhouse. We probably don't know all the details.

There have been positives on this trip, like that Alexei's really shown he can be a full-time player on this club.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm not:whiteflag:

Despite the offensive struggles the Sox are very much still in it. Was this weekend in Tampa frustrating? Hell yeah it was. I'm holding out that playing a lot of home games in June will help this team.

Voodoo, you're right about what this board would look like if the Sox had gotten blown out. Actually I wouldn't even want to see it, but all the "realists" are having a field day with their let's get rid of everyone and build for the future attitudes. If KW made trades now I would be more upset than I was on July 31, 1997.

eriqjaffe
06-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, big whoop. We went 3-3 on a 6 game road trip.Actually, it was 3-4 on a 7 game road trip.

:tongue:

BRDSR
06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
LOL.. Your WHAT hurts?

If this team had gotten blown out, this place would be even more up for grabs with sky is falling, season is over posts. I mean the only thing preventing a whole board meltdown at this stage of the game is that the pitching is solid. If the pitching showed some signs of cracking, pfffft...

It'd be brutal...

I doubt it. If the Sox had gotten blown out two of the past three games, everyone would have realized it's a fluke because the pitching has been fantastic. Everyone would be saying stuff like "Well, we knew the Rays had a solid team this year. The rotation got it out of their system. Come back home and lets win a few."

Instead, the Sox scored 4 runs in 3 games and lost all 3 by an average of 1.33 runs. They struck out when they needed contact, popped up when they needed a solid fly ball, and left a gajillion men on base. The difference is that they have been doing this for years, not games. This isn't a fluke, it's the norm.

People have been talking about this lineup hitting "its stride." Well, this lineup hasn't hit "its stride" since some point in 2006. Eventually, if you lope along lazily too long, it becomes your stride. What we see from the Sox right now is their stride, and while it may look good for 2-3 games at a time, or even a whole week once or twice a season, it is not a lineup that will find itself in the playoffs. And even if it does, it can't beat any playoff team 3 out of 5 times when it counts.

Go ahead. Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me you see this team beating the Devil Rays, Red Sox, or Angels 3 out of 5 times in October.

itsnotrequired
06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I doubt it. If the Sox had gotten blown out two of the past three games, everyone would have realized it's a fluke because the pitching has been fantastic. Everyone would be saying stuff like "Well, we knew the Rays had a solid team this year. The rotation got it out of their system. Come back home and lets win a few."

There would still be plenty of people arguing that the blowouts would finally demonstrate Sox pitching has been luck all year, this shows their real makeup, blah, blah, blah.

I'm convinced a lot of Sox fans are insane.

BRDSR
06-02-2008, 12:10 PM
There would still be plenty of people arguing that the blowouts would finally demonstrate Sox pitching has been luck all year, this shows their real makeup, blah, blah, blah.

I'm convinced a lot of Sox fans are insane.

Well, you're probably right. I for one would feel much better about this team if it had lost the last three games 10-5, 11-6, and 8-3 than I do about them after losing 2-1, 2-0, and 4-3(10).

voodoochile
06-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, you're probably right. I for one would feel much better about this team if it had lost the last three games 10-5, 11-6, and 8-3 than I do about them after losing 2-1, 2-0, and 4-3(10).

Why?

BRDSR
06-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Why?

Because, as I stated in my previous post, the pitching has been fantastic this year and I would have the mental fortitutde to realize that giving up 29 runs in three games was an abberation, not the current state of affairs for the pitching staff. I would also note that the Sox scored 14 runs in three games, which is better than their season average. I would be even more content if the three runs scored in the 3rd game were on five hits with some timely hitting, as opposed to the three runs scored in the actual third game of our 4-3 loss.

Let's put it this way. Even good teams go 0-3 or at beast 1-2 when their pitching staff gives up 29 runs in three games. But very few good teams go 1-2, let alone 0-3, over a period of 3 games where their pitching staff gives up 8 runs.

Now, if the Sox were consistently showing that they had a mastery of the fundamentals of hitting, I would be willing to look at this as the same type of abberation that 29 runs in three games by the pitching staff would be. But the last three games were not an abberation by this lineup. It was simply one of the lowest points in a long, long string of low points going all the way back to mid-2006.

whitesox901
06-02-2008, 02:18 PM

It'd be brutal...

Our Computers Would Crash, and our moniters would explode

FarWestChicago
06-02-2008, 08:42 PM
And they prefer to be known as realists and like to call the rest of us nuts...

I'm convinced a lot of Sox fans are insane.You are correct, it's. A large percentage of Sox fans are raving lunatics. You can't reason with them. The best part is they think they are the sane ones. It's occasionally amusing, but does get old. :smile:

MCHSoxFan
06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
You are correct, it's. A large percentage of Sox fans are raving lunatics. You can't reason with them. The best part is they think they are the sane ones. It's occasionally amusing, but does get old. :smile:

Very true!

turners56
06-02-2008, 09:05 PM
It's kind of hard to breathe with the Twins riding our backs, 0.5 back now. Thanks Kyle Farnsworth, thank you for screwing up.

MarySwiss
06-02-2008, 09:12 PM
It's kind of hard to breathe with the Twins riding our backs, 0.5 back now. Thanks Kyle Farnsworth, thank you for screwing up.

But you know what? Much as I hate the scummy Twins, at least this gives us motivation--and yes, I know that winning the AL Central should be motivation enough, but apparently, it's not.

And as for Kyle Farnsworth screwing up, why is this a surprise? It's what he specializes in.

turners56
06-02-2008, 09:15 PM
But you know what? Much as I hate the scummy Twins, at least this gives us motivation--and yes, I know that winning the AL Central should be motivation enough, but apparently, it's not.

And as for Kyle Farnsworth screwing up, why is this a surprise? It's what he specializes in.

Playing for the Cubs encourages screw ups I guess.

The guys should have enough motivation as is, being only .5 games in front of the supposedly "awful" Twins is bad enough. We shouldn't be in this position right now. Tomorrow is a must-win. If we don't hit and score, Ozzie will go crazy again and who knows that will happen.

PicktoCLick72
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Playing for the Cubs encourages screw ups I guess.

The guys should have enough motivation as is, being only .5 games in front of the supposedly "awful" Twins is bad enough. We shouldn't be in this position right now. Tomorrow is a must-win. If we don't hit and score, Ozzie will go crazy again and who knows that will happen.

Under no circumstances is a game on June 3rd a must win.

voodoochile
06-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Under no circumstances is a game on June 3rd a must win.

I can't believe he even typed that crap... :scratch:

Besides, who ever thought simply winning the division would be easy? What's kind of funny is watching all the people who claimed the Sox had no chance prior to the season starting now crying because they aren't running away from the pack.

It's not supposed to be easy and it's not supposed to be decided on June 3rd. In fact I can't think of a single season when anything was decided in the first week of June.

3 road losses in a row (two by walk off solo shots in the final at bat) to the best team in the AL to date - a team that has now won 22 of their last 26 home games - and people are freaking out.

You think KW and OG are having dinner and splitting a bottle of wine or two tonight and laughing about how no one is talking about the hitting problems at the moment?