PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "It's called HITTING WITH RISP!!!!" 5/30/08 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2008, 09:02 PM
:angry:

We couldn't hit worth a damn tonight!

If the Yankees and Royals hold on, though, no harm no foul.

MCHSoxFan
Nuff Said!

DumpJerry
I want the last three hours of my life back.

Vernam
05-30-2008, 09:03 PM
BA would've had it. :shrug:

Get 'em tomorrow.

Vernam

Over By There
Well that came to an abrupt end. :?:

Corlose 15
This game was lost in the first three innings. What a ****ing joke.

Hey dip****s, get off your asses and get a ****ing hit with runners in scoring position.

A goddamn joke.:angry::angry::angry:

RadioheadRocks
I said it in the game thread and I'll say it again here...

KILLER
INSTINCT

GET SOME, SOX OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!

HartmanSox
It's called hitting PERIOD.

ChicagoG19
Swisher would have made that catch

kittle42
It's too early in the season to care what the division foes are doing. Win the ****ing winnable games.

And, for about the 20th straight postgame thread, fire ****ing Greg Walker.

veeter
05-30-2008, 09:04 PM
This game was lost in the early innings with pathetic execution and Swisher suckiness. But a belt high fastball to Cliff Floyd is just moronic.

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Swisher would have made that catch

If he had a rocket up his...

JB98
05-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Another fine outing by Contreras, but it goes to waste.

Game was lost with missed opportunities the first three innings, without question.

btrain929
How did Dewayne ****ing Wise shoot up the depth chart over Brian Anderson? The only reason that makes sense is if Wise was stealing as the pinch runner, which he didn't.

I'm not saying BA would have made that catch at the end, but I think he would have the best chance out of any of our OF'ers....

btrain929
This game was lost in the early innings with pathetic execution and Swisher suckiness. But a belt high fastball to Cliff Floyd is just moronic.

The ONLY ****ing pitch he can hit.....

kittle42
05-30-2008, 09:06 PM
How did Dewayne ****ing Wise shoot up the depth chart over Brian Anderson? The only reason that makes sense is if Wise was stealing as the pinch runner, which he didn't.

I'm not saying BA would have made that catch at the end, but I think he would have the best chance out of any of our OF'ers....

GMAB. Wise was in because he is faster. They didn't run because you don't just run - you wait for a spot. He didn't have it, I guess.

October26
05-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Very disappointing loss. Contreras pitched great and Alexei had a nice game, but Cliff Floyd got it done for the Rays tonite. :whiner: Our bullpen finally gave up a run and the Sox left way too many runners on base. Oh well, let's get 'em tomorrow.

kittle42
05-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Don't worry...when the weather heats up...

MushMouth
Time to Bench Swish?

I don't know if we can continue to have Paulie, Thome and Swish in the lineup at once, and I know Ozzie won't bench Paulie or Thome.

JB98
GMAB. Wise was in because he is faster. They didn't run because you don't just run - you wait for a spot. He didn't have it, I guess.

I agree completely. Wise is faster than Anderson. And Anderson does not catch the drive off Floyd's bat. Nobody would have had it.

veeter

I'm not saying BA would have made that catch at the end, but I think he would have the best chance out of any of our OF'ers....To blame that on this game is so way off, it's not even funny. Bright side: Jose is lights out and we are going to win a ton of games.

Brian26
Kerry Sayers chimes in with this piece of intelligence with a huge smile on her face: "The former Cub Cliff Floyd takes it to the White Sox!"

He's also a former Red Sox (1 year), Expo (5 yrs), Met (4 yrs), and Marlin (6 yrs).

But yeah, he's most notable for being on the Cubs for 108 games in 2007. :rolleyes:

EuroSox35
05-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Tough loss! On the plus side, I love our pitching, but the offense, hrmm, guys like Thome and Swisher, you just hope they don't swing cause it's basically an automatic out!

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-30-2008, 09:08 PM
This is the most frustrating first place team ever. :angry::angry::angry:

Navarro's Talent
05-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Well, Linebrink was going to give up a run sooner or later. I'm not mad about that.

I do wish the offense would wake up, though, when there are runners on base.

kittle42
To blame that on this game is so way off, it's not even funny. Bright side: Jose is lights out and we are going to win a ton of games.

Not if we can't score more than one run in games where our starters give up 1 run in 7 innings.

Do we lead the league in no decisions?

Frontman
It's one game. Neither team seemed to have it tonight. The Rays got it done, the Sox didn't. No need to get insane over it; unless of course you're worried about what the Sox do only 1/3rd of the way through the season.

The Sox get the game tomorrow behind Javy, and all will be well.

southsideirish71
To blame that on this game is so way off, it's not even funny. Bright side: Jose is lights out and we are going to win a ton of games.

How about one of the multimillion dollar "sluggers" in the middle of the lineup actually earning their keep. Swisher has been bad since we picked him up.

Pitching has been outstanding. The fact that we are wasting these great pitching performances is sad.

mccoydp
**** game tonight. Good pitching from Jose though, to keep them at one run.

Go get them tomorrow, gents.

Cuck the Fubs
Kerry Sayers chimes in with this piece of intelligence with a huge smile on her face: "The former Cub Cliff Floyd takes it to the White Sox!"

He's also a former Red Sox (1 year), Expo (5 yrs), Met (4 yrs), and Marlin (6 yrs).

But yeah, he's most notable for being on the Cubs for 108 games in 2007. :rolleyes:

Stuff like that pisses me off more than losing this game.

Get them the next 2 guys, let's win the series!

And yes, bench Swish for a bit, he's just horrid out there right now.

kittle42
05-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Stuff like that pisses me off more than losing this game.

Get them the next 2 guys, let's win the series!

And yes, bench Swish for a bit, he's just horrid out there right now.

I'll take a split. I hate 4-game series.

MCHSoxFan
05-30-2008, 09:11 PM

Me too!

RadioheadRocks

I'll settle for 3 out of 4 if our bats ever wake the hell up.

JermaineDye05
Ugh, I don't know why but the whole game I had a bad feeling about Cliff Floyd. Oh well let's go get them tomorrow and Sunday. The best I'm hoping for is a split in Tampa, I'll take that any year down there.

btrain929

Wise is faster than BA, I get it. Then let him steal and get in scoring position for an anorexic offense! It was even against a righty, not a lefty pitcher, so he would have gotten a great jump. After the pitcher threw over 2 times, that was the best time to steal.

When that inning is over, put BA in CF. Just because Wise is faster than BA doesn't mean he's a better CF than him. Again, I'm not saying BA would have had that ball, but he had the best chance out of any of our OF'ers.

Cuck the Fubs
05-30-2008, 09:12 PM

Based on Tampa's next 2 starters a split would maybe be more realistic.

I still want them to win every series though from here on out:cool:

btrain929
05-30-2008, 09:13 PM
I'll settle for 3 out of 4 if our bats ever wake the hell up.

Shut up. You'll be ecstatic for 3 out of 4 especially with our last 2 games against Andy "I own the Sox" Sonnastine and Scott "I'm a lefty and extra filthy this year" Kazmir.

We needed to win this game. We'll be lucky with a split.....

MCHSoxFan
05-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Based on Tampa's next 2 starters a split would maybe be more realistic.

I still want them to win every series though from here on out:cool:

That is for sure!

JB98
05-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Wise is faster than BA, I get it. Then let him steal and get in scoring position for an anorexic offense! It was even against a righty, not a lefty pitcher, so he would have gotten a great jump. After the pitcher threw over 2 times, that was the best time to steal.

When that inning is over, put BA in CF. Just because Wise is faster than BA doesn't mean he's a better CF than him. Again, I'm not saying BA would have had that ball, but he had the best chance out of any of our OF'ers.

I agree that you want Wise to steal in that spot. But you don't waste BA when Wise is a perfectly capable outfielder.

If it goes 10 or 11 innings, one of our plodders might get on base, which means you would need another pinch-runner for later. BA would be ideal in that spot.

RadioheadRocks
05-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Shut up. You'll be ecstatic for 3 out of 4 especially with our last 2 games against Andy "I own the Sox" Sonnastine and Scott "I'm a lefty and extra filthy this year" Kazmir.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we did sweep four games from them at the Trop last June. Our pitching has been stellar and our bats need to get it in gear. Your opinion is fine, but telling me to "shut up" based on past performance by Sonnastine and Kazmir is a bit much.

btrain929
05-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I agree that you want Wise to steal in that spot. But you don't waste BA when Wise is a perfectly capable outfielder.

If it goes 10 or 11 innings, one of our plodders might get on base, which means you would need another pinch-runner for later. BA would be ideal in that spot.

Well if stealing 2nd wasn't in Ozzie's plans, I'd pinch run BA and have him in CF for the 9th. I highly doubt the speed between Wise and BA is THAT much of a difference.....especially if they aren't stealing.

PS The new Dye/Swisher commercial is dumb. I might have liked it if Swisher was batting over .205.

JermaineDye05
05-30-2008, 09:17 PM

Needed to? I don't know about that, it would have certainly been nice. James Shields is no slouch though. Don't take anything away from him, he still pitched a pretty good ballgame. Based on the pitching matchups, we knew this would be a tough 4 game series. A game they had to win IMO was last nights, because there pitching 3 pretty darn good pitchers after this. I thought we'd end up splitting the series with wins against Jackson and Sonnastine. I just don't see the Sox fairing too well against Kazmir. I could be wrong, but we'll never know considering Fox has the first hour and maybe more of the game blacked out :angry::angry::angry:.

TDog
05-30-2008, 09:18 PM
The Sox got one hit with a runner in scoring position, but the runner didn't score. The big missed opportunity was Swisher hitting into an inning-ending doubleplay with the bases loaded. For everyone who believes Swisher should be batting in an RBI position of the order, I have to ask what when will they be convinced that Swisher is not now, never has been and never will be an RBI man.

The game might have gone differently if the Sox hadn't played for one run with the score tied in the third and ended up getting nothing. Then Thome couldn't even advance Dye's leadoff double.

The Rays had very good pitching tonight, better than last night.

Unfortunately, when relievers are on the road in a game-ending situation and throwing strikes, a game-ending home run is possible. At least the loss came to the Rays instead of the Indians.

btrain929
05-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but we did sweep four games from them at the Trop last June. Our pitching has been stellar and our bats need to get it in gear. Your opinion is fine, but telling me to "shut up" based on past performance by Sonnastine and Kazmir is a bit much.

Anyone saying they'll "settle" for a 3 out of 4 series, especially with the pitchers coming up, deserves to be told to shut up. Cry about it.

PS This just in: the '07 Rays aren't the '08 Rays we're currently facing, so a 4 game sweep last year doesn't mean **** to me.

JB98
05-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Well if stealing 2nd wasn't in Ozzie's plans, I'd pinch run BA and have him in CF for the 9th. I highly doubt the speed between Wise and BA is THAT much of a difference.....especially if they aren't stealing.

PS The new Dye/Swisher commercial is dumb. I might have liked it if Swisher was batting over .205.

But the point is that Wise in CF doesn't hurt you, and you are acting as if that cost us the game. Wise got all the way back to the fence and he jumped. It was gone, and that's that. No one could have caught it.

Soxman219
05-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Hey, it's not like Kazmir is Johan Santana. I think we'll win tomorrow if we can score early to shake his confidence. I'm telling you man I'm tired of seeing Swisher get K'ed all the time and not helping the offense. I say bench him for 4 games or put him in 9th place batter or something. ANYTHING!:angry:

kittle42
05-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey, it's not like Kazmir is Johan Santana. I think we'll win tomorrow if we can score early to shake his confidence. I'm telling you man I'm tired of seeing Swisher get K'ed all the time and not helping the offense. I say bench him for 4 games or put him in 9th place batter or something. ANYTHING!:angry:

Does it really matter who is pitching against the Sox? They have as much chance against Cy Young as they do against Seth McClung these days.

btrain929
05-30-2008, 09:21 PM
But the point is that Wise in CF doesn't hurt you, and you are acting as if that cost us the game. Wise got all the way back to the fence and he jumped. It was gone, and that's that. No one could have caught it.

OK I guess I have to repeat this 8 times for people who don't fully comprehend posts:

I'M NOT SAYING BA WOULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT HR BALL.

But stop acting like Wise is a plus OF'er defensively. Fast doesn't equal good in the OF. In the bottom of the 9th and going forward, I want the best fielding team out there. We didn't.

veeter
05-30-2008, 09:23 PM

We needed to win this game. We'll be lucky with a split.....Last year we bombed Kazmir, that might have been the Andy Gonzalez 4 for 4 game. I like our chances against him more than Sonnanstine.

btrain929
05-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Last year we bombed Kazmir, that might have been the Andy Gonzalez 4 for 4 game. I like our chances against him more than Sonnanstine.

But Andy is in Cleveland....

RadioheadRocks
05-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Last year we bombed Kazmir, that might have been the Andy Gonzalez 4 for 4 game. I like our chances against him more than Sonnanstine.

True, but remember "the 07 Rays are not the 08 Rays". And for anything like that to happen the bats are going to have to wake up and take advantage of key RBI situations.

JB98
05-30-2008, 09:27 PM
OK I guess I have to repeat this 8 times for people who don't fully comprehend posts:

I'M NOT SAYING BA WOULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT HR BALL.

But stop acting like Wise is a plus OF'er defensively. Fast doesn't equal good in the OF. In the bottom of the 9th and going forward, I want the best fielding team out there. We didn't.

Wise is a good defensive outfielder. The problem is he can't hit.

And I already told you why it was a good move to save Anderson. He might have been needed for extra innings. Knowing that Wise doesn't hurt you defensively, there is no need to burn up two bench players in that situation.

Good Lord. Every hitter in the Sox lineup had a chance to win the game at some point by getting a hit with RISP. They all failed. That's the issue tonight. Instead, we have to have another ****ing argument with people claiming that Wise has somehow passed Anderson on the organizational depth chart.

It's ridiculous.

kittle42
05-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Good Lord. Every hitter in the Sox lineup had a chance to win the game at some point by getting a hit with RISP. They all failed. That's the issue tonight. Instead, we have to have another ****ing argument with people claiming that Wise has somehow passed Anderson on the organizational depth chart.

It's ridiculous.

Don't forget that it was also stupid to throw Floyd a fastball.

Vernam
05-30-2008, 09:31 PM
This is the most frustrating first place team ever. :angry::angry::angry:Unless you count 2005. :cool:

Vernam

veeter
05-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Don't forget that it was also stupid to throw Floyd a fastball.It wasn't?

MCHSoxFan
05-30-2008, 09:35 PM
MIN losing, CLE winning, and DET put a 7 spot in the 1st inning over SEA.

Jerko
05-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Cliff Floyd, ***. Who's next, Rondell White? Oh well, 2 more cracks at these guys I guess.

VenturaFan23
05-30-2008, 09:37 PM

It's ridiculous.

:thumbsup: VERY well said sir. And also, our beloved hitting coach sleeps well again tonight.

turners56
05-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Ugh, the inability to move runners over really killed. AJ couldn't get down a bunt and Thome failed to move Dye over. Clutch hitting was not the only problem, inability to do the little things really hurt. The team is hitting. But at the wrong time...
Jose was brilliant again, his ERA is now under 3. Linebrink had to give one up sometime...
Gonna be real tough tommorow. I want at least a split.

The Dude
05-30-2008, 09:45 PM
It's too early in the season to care what the division foes are doing. Win the ****ing winnable games.

And, for about the 20th straight postgame thread, fire ****ing Greg Walker.

A wasted awesome start by Jose.:whiner:

JB98
05-30-2008, 09:47 PM
:thumbsup: VERY well said sir. And also, our beloved hitting coach sleeps well again tonight.

They're not going to fire him though. I was talking about it with the other season-ticket holders in my section last homestand. We pretty much agreed if the Sox don't think there's a problem now, they'll never think there's a problem.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Konerko also stunk up the place again. Nobody has mentioned that he failed to move the runners over in the second when there were runners on first and second and no one out. He looks at strike three. Crede then hits a sharp single to left, but no one could score and the bases are loaded. If Konerko had advanced runners like he was supposed to, the Sox would have scored at least one there. Then Swisher hits into a double play to end the inning.

Konerko and Thome are just killing this team.

delben91
05-30-2008, 09:59 PM
These threads are always so much fun.

As the snail riding on the turtle's back says...

"Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! !"

WhiteSox5187
05-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Konerko also stunk up the place again. Nobody has mentioned that he failed to move the runners over in the second when there were runners on first and second and no one out. He looks at strike three. Crede then hits a sharp single to left, but no one could score and the bases are loaded. If Konerko had advanced runners like he was supposed to, the Sox would have scored at least one there. Then Swisher hits into a double play to end the inning.

Konerko and Thome are just killing this team.
That was in the second I believe and Konerko was just frozen on a high change up that MIGHT have been ball four...having said that there were plenty of opportunities for this team to blow the game wide open. But we didn't execute. The ball can't bounce our way ALL the time, this was a game we should have won but didn't. Oh well. It'll happen. Let's go out there tommorrow and get them.

champagne030
05-30-2008, 10:02 PM

No, the piece of **** that must have revealing photos got his hits against a trio of stiffs. The next night he hit a BOMB off of Shields and we won the game.

DoItForDanPasqua
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Doesn't Quentin know that he needs to drive in at least two runs every single game for the Sox to win. What, does he expect Swisher to get an RBI?

itsnotrequired
05-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Tough loss, go get 'em tomorrow.

:shrug:

HawkDJ
05-30-2008, 10:16 PM
We're really not playing that badly lately..you know that right?

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Mariano holds on, and the Yankees beat the Twins. We're still 2 up = No harm, no foul.

Frontman
Didn't the Rays strand seven runners to our guys stranding eight?

Sounds like two teams played each other pretty hard and one team did just slightly better to get the win.

itsnotrequired
We're really not playing that badly lately..you know that right?

It is like 2005 all over again. Sox lose a game here or there and people are ready to kill themselves.

Viva Medias B's
05-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Tough loss, go get 'em tomorrow.

:shrug:

It's not that we lost; it's how we lost that has people upset. If the Rays blew us out 12-1 it would be one thing. However, we had chances to put the Rays away early and didn't do it. That is what the source of the angst is tonight.

itsnotrequired
05-30-2008, 10:20 PM
It's not that we lost; it's how we lost that has people upset. If the Rays blew us out 12-1 it would be one thing. However, we had chances to put the Rays away early and didn't do it. That is what the source of the angst is tonight.

And they had their chances to crush the Sox as well and didn't do it either. Like I said, tough loss. Wring your hands if you must but I'm not too worried about it.

Frontman
05-30-2008, 10:22 PM

And the Rays had their chances to put the Sox away as well. Just came down to one run late in the game. As pointed out, good teams will lose from time to time. This is the 4th loss in 12 games; two weeks of baseball. That's not a bad thing at the end of the day. If the Sox win 3 out of 4 all the way through the season, I don't think many would complain.

RadioheadRocks
05-30-2008, 10:23 PM

Exactly, and this isn't the first time this season that we've wasted a great pitching performance due to the offense not being productive. Sooner or later they're going to have to get it together.

TomBradley72
05-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Tough loss.

Swisher is now hitting .191 over the past 30 days. 15th best on the White Sox in that time (ahead of only Ozuna among position players).

He's looking like a 2008 version of Cory Snyder. If you're pinch running for your CF, something's wrong. He's looking more and more like he doesn't really fit on this team. With a ~.250 career batting average, primarily as a 1st Baseman/Corner OF...I don't think is just an issue of performing at his historic levels.

soxfan44
05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah, but Swisher's worm and six gun commercials are so clever. What would we do without his grittiness?

The "big" acquisitions this year are making a fool of Kenny (I've had enough of Cabrera and Swisher) . The under the radar guys are making him look like a genius.

Late in the game with two men on and a LEFT HANDER throwing for the Rays and they REFUSE to throw anyone out there other than Thome. He either strikes out or grounds out. He cannot hit left handed pitching - period. He needs to sit against lefties.

Tough loss.

Swisher is now hitting .191 over the past 30 days. 15th best on the White Sox in that time (ahead of only Ozuna among position players).

He's looking like a 2008 version of Cory Snyder. If you're pinch running for your CF, something's wrong. He's looking more and more like he doesn't really fit on this team. With a ~.250 career batting average, primarily as a 1st Baseman/Corner OF...I don't think is just an issue of performing at his historic levels.

Domeshot17
05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Sadly Thome is/was hitting lefties harder than righties this year.

I Wonder if he is considering just retiring. Its just gone. After a month its a slump, but 1/3 into the season, its a disaster.

This team would have the best record in baseball if it knew how to score at all. I am worried what happens if Gavin Jose and Danks hit a rough patch, because we can't afford it.

DickAllen72
05-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I was just reading that Ozzie said he wants to keep giving Ramirez ABs but also said the Sox need Uribe at 2B.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080530-juan-uribe-chicago-white-sox,1,7573418.story

Instead of alternating Uribe with Ramirez at 2B, why not sit Swisher for a while and let Ramirez play CF while Uribe is back at 2B. If Uribe gets hot, you leave it like that. If/when Uribe goes ice cold, Ramirez goes back to 2B and Swish comes back in CF. Maybe the rest will do Swish some good---it certainly can't hurt.

itsnotrequired
05-30-2008, 10:59 PM
He cannot hit left handed pitching - period. He needs to sit against lefties.

You are aware he is hitting lefties better than righties this year, aren't you?

JB98
05-30-2008, 11:00 PM
I was just reading that Ozzie said he wants to keep giving Ramirez ABs but also said the Sox need Uribe at 2B.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080530-juan-uribe-chicago-white-sox,1,7573418.story

Instead of alterbating Uribe with Ramirez at 2B, why not sit Swisher for a while and let Ramirez play CF while Uribe is back at 2B. If Uribe gets hot, you leave it like that. If/when Uribe goes ice cold, Ramirez goes back to 2B and Swish comes back in CF. Maybe the rest will do Swish some good---it certainly can't hurt.

Not a bad idea. One way or another, I would like to see Ramirez in the lineup. Personally, I would continue to play him at 2B. But I don't want Alexei to be sent to the bench. I think he's provided a little spark offensively since he's been playing everyday.

Brian26
05-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I was never worried because Hawk told us that Howell doesn't have the big sweeping breaking ball. So instead of the usual LOOGY strikeout, Thome was able to hit a weak grounder to first. :thumbsup:

Frontman
05-30-2008, 11:08 PM
You are aware he is hitting lefties better than righties this year, aren't you?

Shhh. Don't bring facts to the table like that. Especially the one where 5 of his 10 home runs are off of left handers. That might bring more doom and gloom to the thread.

itsnotrequired
05-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Shhh. Don't bring facts to the table like that. Especially the one where 5 of his 10 home runs are off of left handers. That might bring more doom and gloom to the thread.

The same number of homers in a third the number of PAs.

JB98
05-30-2008, 11:12 PM
I was never worried because Hawk told us that Howell doesn't have the big sweeping breaking ball. So instead of the usual LOOGY strikeout, Thome was able to hit a weak grounder to first. :thumbsup:

But what did Thome swing at on the weak grounder? A bad breaking ball, of course.

That was ball four too.

Jim has been getting himself out all year fishing at bad breaking balls. I'm still mystified by the Chicago media's belief that Thome can't hit a fastball anymore. He does well against fastball pitchers (see Jackson, Edwin).

Brian26
05-30-2008, 11:15 PM

On the season, he's batting .220 against LHP, .203 against RHP. The "facts" suck either way you look at them.

In May, he's batting .100 vs. LHP and .213 vs. RHP.

Taking it a step further, late innings vs. LHP, he's batting .000.

Considering two of his homers were on Opening Day, his HR totals aren't anything to brag about either.

southsideirish71
05-30-2008, 11:16 PM

Instead of alternating Uribe with Ramirez at 2B, why not sit Swisher for a while and let Ramirez play CF while Uribe is back at 2B. If Uribe gets hot, you leave it like that. If/when Uribe goes ice cold, Ramirez goes back to 2B and Swish comes back in CF. Maybe the rest will do Swish some good---it certainly can't hurt.

So let me get this straight, we have a 2nd baseman who is hitting the ball well, playing good defense, and giving us speed in the lineup and we are going to bench him to put a guy who cant hit at all, and provides defense. Thats a good idea of a well oiled machine of an offense that can afford to give up a stick, but this team struggles offensively. The Uribe that can carry a team stopped being that guy outside of a few weeks in 2005 and 2004. With Uribe you have a .240 hitter max who swings for the fences and has a strong arm. I would rather see what Alexei can bring over the next few weeks and make Uribe a super sub. You remember, the position he excelled at when he was brought over.

Ziggy S
05-30-2008, 11:29 PM
So let me get this straight, we have a 2nd baseman who is hitting the ball well, playing good defense, and giving us speed in the lineup and we are going to bench him to put a guy who cant hit at all, and provides defense. Thats a good idea of a well oiled machine of an offense that can afford to give up a stick, but this team struggles offensively. The Uribe that can carry a team stopped being that guy outside of a few weeks in 2005 and 2004. With Uribe you have a .240 hitter max who swings for the fences and has a strong arm. I would rather see what Alexei can bring over the next few weeks and make Uribe a super sub. You remember, the position he excelled at when he was brought over.

How dare you say something like that, OMG. If Ozzie decides to make Uribe the starter, it's the best decision because Ozzie made it. Besides, 2nd Base is so important defensively, more than CF or almost every position like ever(who needs that BA guy, he supposedly was a punk TWO YEARS AGO, NM the fact that Swisher is hitting about .200 right now, he just brings such swagger and passion). 2005!!!!!1!!!!!

Lip Man 1
05-30-2008, 11:35 PM
It's tough to waste another outstanding pitching performance because these guys simply can't hit on a consistent basis.

All you can do is hope they snap out of it or hope these winnable games don't cost them big-time come September.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
05-30-2008, 11:36 PM
It's tough to waste another outstanding pitching performance because these guys simply can't hit on a consistent basis.

All you can do is hope they snap out of it or hope these winnable games don't cost them big-time come September.

Lip

Exactly what I've been saying all along.

SluggersAway
05-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Ramirez needs to remain at second base. And, at this point I would sit Swisher, Thome, and Konerko and put Anderson, Hall, and Ozuna in their place. Take a week off boys and come back when you have your heads on straight!

JB98
05-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Ramirez needs to remain at second base. And, at this point I would sit Swisher, Thome, and Konerko and put Anderson, Hall, and Ozuna in their place. Take a week off boys and come back when you have your heads on straight!

If we do that, we'll lose damn near every game for the next week. The guys aren't going to break out of the slump by not playing. Although, with Swisher, it's getting so pathetic you start to lose hope.

At least Konerko and Thome both had good games Thursday night. Thome has actually had two multihit games on this trip.

SluggersAway
05-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Swisher, Thome, and Konerko have been 0 for nothing in too many games. At least Hall, Anderson, and Ozuna have been able to show they can hit on a consistent basis when they get to play.

DickAllen72
05-31-2008, 12:26 AM
I'd rather see Anderson play CF in place of Swisher for a while but since Ozzie said that he wants to play Uribe at 2B, why not let Ramirez play CF until either he or Uribe go cold. If Uribe doesn't hit when he comes back move Ramirez back to second base. But if Uribe goes on one of his hot streaks, take advantage of that plus his defense at 2B and let Ramirez continue to get ABs in CF instead of Swisher for a while.

hi im skot
05-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Swisher is...notsogood.

LoveYourSuit
05-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Just got back to the hotel from the game..... Swisher just sucks bad. This guy is Rick White bad from the offensive side.

And the Sox just pissed away another solid performace by a starter, what new.
:rolleyes:

JB98
05-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Swisher, Thome, and Konerko have been 0 for nothing in too many games. At least Hall, Anderson, and Ozuna have been able to show they can hit on a consistent basis when they get to play.

On what planet have Hall, Anderson and Ozuna shown they can hit on a consistent basis? Hall has had a few good games. If you look at his career norms, it's a given he'll cool off shortly. Anderson is a lifetime .227 hitter who happens to be hitting .234 this season. Ozuna is somehow hitting .250, which is remarkable given how poor he has looked at the plate. He hasn't hit the ball with authority at all this season. Further, Ozuna is a defensive liability wherever you place him on the diamond. Hall is subpar defensively as well.

Play those three guys every day, and I guarantee you're going to get a bunch of 0-fers. I know what's coming next. You're going to say, "Well, they can hardly do worse than Thome, Konerko and Swisher." Actually, yes, they can do worse. They can do worse, and they have done worse. That's why they are backup players. If anyone thought they could play every day and bat .280, they'd be playing every day somewhere in the major leagues.

One of my major pet peeves is all these Sox fans who believe with great conviction that the answer to the team's offensive woes is currently riding our bench, or putting up mediocre numbers in Charlotte. In fact, our bench is mediocre at best. Our triple-A club sucks. The people in charge of the Sox organization know this. That's why they are sticking with some of these struggling veterans. They have no other option.

Pear-Zin-Ski
05-31-2008, 01:31 AM
When does the saying "Its only one game" get old?

I mean how many more one run bull**** games like this can we lose until it starts to catch up to us?

Im not saying this is ****ing doomsday for the Sox but I am saying some of you should stop acting like everything will be fine when this is starting to look like a trend....

Bring on da' flames!!!! :bandance:

SluggersAway
05-31-2008, 01:33 AM
On what planet have Hall, Anderson and Ozuna shown they can hit on a consistent basis? Hall has had a few good games. If you look at his career norms, it's a given he'll cool off shortly. Anderson is a lifetime .227 hitter who happens to be hitting .234 this season. Ozuna is somehow hitting .250, which is remarkable given how poor he has looked at the plate. He hasn't hit the ball with authority at all this season. Further, Ozuna is a defensive liability wherever you place him on the diamond. Hall is subpar defensively as well.
I concede on almost every point, but Hall would be the DH so his defense is not in question. It is on this planet and this season that they have proven they can hit on a consistent basis more so than the three others we have been putting up to the plate. All I am saying is those guys have actually done better at the plate this season and we are winning despite Swisher, Thome, and Konerko not hitting so why not put in some folks who are actually hitting the ball for a higher average and hope those other folks get their head out of their asses.

SBSoxFan
05-31-2008, 06:06 AM
And they had their chances to crush the Sox as well and didn't do it either. Like I said, tough loss. Wring your hands if you must but I'm not too worried about it.

And the Rays had their chances to put the Sox away as well. Just came down to one run late in the game. As pointed out, good teams will lose from time to time. This is the 4th loss in 12 games; two weeks of baseball. That's not a bad thing at the end of the day. If the Sox win 3 out of 4 all the way through the season, I don't think many would complain.

Other than the first inning, I don't recall the Rays having a runner on second with no outs or a runner on third with less than 2 outs. It doesn't matter that they left a lot of runners on too. In the situation for the Sox, you don't need a clutch hit, you only need to execute. They couldn't do that ... again. :angry:

TomBradley72
05-31-2008, 07:46 AM
On the season, he's batting .220 against LHP, .203 against RHP. The "facts" suck either way you look at them.

In May, he's batting .100 vs. LHP and .213 vs. RHP.

Taking it a step further, late innings vs. LHP, he's batting .000.

Considering two of his homers were on Opening Day, his HR totals aren't anything to brag about either.

He should start Sabbathia pitches. Against all other lefties...he should sit.

To think Thome at this stage in his career has "solved" lefties is crazy. He's a lifetime .240 hitter vs. LHs (~50 points lower than his average vs. righties).

Over the course of 2006-2007, he hit .219 (slightly ahead of Brian Anderson, slightly behind Jerry Owens) with .337 OBP and .356 SLG. There are pitchers in the NL (specifically Willis) who had a higher OPS overall than than Thome did vs. LHs. His OPS vs. LH's over those two years was .693, slightly ahead of Toby Hall, slightly behind Danny Richar.

Great guy, great career, but the team comes first, he kills our line up against LH's.

TomBradley72
05-31-2008, 07:53 AM
I concede on almost every point, but Hall would be the DH so his defense is not in question. It is on this planet and this season that they have proven they can hit on a consistent basis more so than the three others we have been putting up to the plate. All I am saying is those guys have actually done better at the plate this season and we are winning despite Swisher, Thome, and Konerko not hitting so why not put in some folks who are actually hitting the ball for a higher average and hope those other folks get their head out of their asses.

Tubby Hall as DH? :kneeslap:

No way. Use DH to rest PK or Dye a bit, or continue to give Swisher some ABs to come out of it. Besides it being Hall, you don't want to lock in your back up catcher to the DH role, since we don't have a 3rd.

A. Cavatica
05-31-2008, 10:07 AM

This is the way I read it. But Wise looked clueless in CF a game or two ago, and there's no way he should be in CF when you've got BA available -- so the right move was to use BA to pinch-run (and enter the game in CF) and save Wise for later. BA's been good on the bases lately, too.

A. Cavatica
05-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Anderson's .639 OPS is basically the same as Swisher's .643, and Anderson's far ahead defensively. Maybe those ABs should be split 50-50 for a while, instead of 3:1 Swisher, and the first player to get hot wins the job.

I don't want Ozuna or Hall getting more playing time, though.

palehozenychicty
05-31-2008, 10:29 AM
I had a feeling that after they put two on in the eighth and didn't score they were going down in this game. Both teams had their chances, and battled to a stalemate. I can't believe that Cliff hasn't ruptured that hamstring yet. Usually he's on the shelf in June. It's a hang woof 'em. Try to get at least one and get out of the Trop. That's all they can do.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
05-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Outstandingg Contreras!!!, pretty well Ramirez!!, 2 hits, 2 doubleplays. what a waste of a game!!! I keep telling our batting is like a russian roullette, sometimes can kill the opponent, sometimes can kill ourself!!

nvc1019
05-31-2008, 12:46 PM
very frustrating watching the lower part of the order killing this team!!:angry::angry::angry:

JB98
05-31-2008, 01:29 PM
This is the way I read it. But Wise looked clueless in CF a game or two ago, and there's no way he should be in CF when you've got BA available -- so the right move was to use BA to pinch-run (and enter the game in CF) and save Wise for later. BA's been good on the bases lately, too.

When did Wise look clueless in CF? He hasn't made any mistakes out there. There was one play where he and Dye almost collided, but I've seen Anderson and Dye almost collide on plays out there too. As long as the play gets made, I don't care.

Uribe is going to be activated this weekend, and Wise is going back to Charlotte. I'm not sure why there's so much discussion about Wise, who has done nothing of significance (positively or negatively) in his limited playing time since the call-up.

TDog
05-31-2008, 02:06 PM
very frustrating watching the lower part of the order killing this team!!:angry::angry::angry:

The No. 9 hitter drove in the only run and had a couple of hits. The No. 7 hitter got the only hit with a runner in scoring position. The "lower end of the batting order" wasn't the problem.

Tragg
05-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Bunting in front of Carlos Quentin - giving up outs in front of Carlos Quentin -is assinine.
Fortunately, Ozzie hasn't done much of that nonsense this season.

Playing Wise over Anderson is absurd as well, but hardly surprising at all.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 02:18 PM
It will all be better tonight when Juan comes back. :smile:

TDog
05-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Bunting in front of Carlos Quentin - giving up outs in front of Carlos Quentin -is assinine.
Fortunately, Ozzie hasn't done much of that nonsense this season. ....

I railed against that play in the game thread, which seemed filled with knee-jerk sacrifice people. I don't know why Guillen would bunt with Pierzynski in that situation, so early in a scoreless game. Things are happening on the bench and in the game that fans know nothing about.

In retrospect, had the sacrifice worked, the Sox could have scored a run if Quentin hits the same doubleplay ball. With runners on second and third and one out in the third inning of a scoreless game, there is no way the Rays play their infield in for a play at the plate. If that's the only run the Sox score, maybe Linebrink pitches in the eighth and maybe he doesn't give up a home run on his second pitch and maybe the Sox win in nine. You don't know how the game would have panned out.

But when I saw on Gameday that Pierzynski had bunted foul on the first pitch, I couldn't believe the with the top of the order up Guillen was playing for one run with one of his better hitters at the plate.

whitesox901
05-31-2008, 03:38 PM
im sure alot of teams have nights where the bats dont hit,

go get em tonite