PDA

View Full Version : Inner City Rivalries?

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Can someone explain to me why Sox/Cubs, NYY/Mets and LAD/LAAoA are such fierce rivalries between the fans? Personally I look at it as such, we should take advantage in how lucky we are to have 2 baseball teams in this city considering some major cities don't even have 1. Now I could understand a Laker/Clipper rivalry they actually compete for divisional reasons, as with the Rangers and Islanders in the NHL. However for baseball these teams only impact on each others seasons are the 2 series we play against each other. Otherwise we won't see each other unless a miracle occures and both teams make the World Series.
I'm serious about this question though. What is the big deal? Are Cub fans that jealous of our 2005 title? Are we that jealous of the press time and clippings? It just doesn't make sense to me.

cleanwsox
05-30-2008, 04:38 PM
:crossdresser

Because they suck balls.

eriqjaffe
05-30-2008, 04:38 PM
This should explain a lot (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/index.php).

:D:

Also, I think you mean "intra-city", not "inner city".

JB98
05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I was in line today at a local fast-food establishment, wearing my Sox jersey. An employee of the establishment immediately broke into song, serenading me with "Go Cubs Go" as I tried to place my order.

It doesn't take much to provoke Cubs fans these days. All you have to do around here is wear a Sox hat or jersey, and they start trying to taunt you.

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:42 PM
:crossdresser

Because they suck balls.
Convincing arguement you got there.:rolleyes:

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:43 PM
I was in line today at a local fast-food establishment, wearing my Sox jersey. An employee of the establishment immediately broke into song, serenading me with "Go Cubs Go" as I tried to place my order.

It doesn't take much to provoke Cubs fans these days. All you have to do around here is wear a Sox hat or jersey, and they start trying to taunt you.
See personally I enjoy the Cubs, not as much as the Sox, but I do enjoy Cub games. However I despise alot of their fans for **** like that. Unfortunately I see it from Sox fans as well and the whole package just urks me.

cleanwsox
05-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Convincing arguement you got there.:rolleyes:

Do you really need an argument here? :shocked:

DumpJerry
05-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Can someone explain to me why Sox/Cubs, NYY/Mets and LAD/LAAoA are such fierce rivalries between the fans? Personally I look at it as such, we should take advantage in how lucky we are to have 2 baseball teams in this city considering some major cities don't even have 1. Now I could understand a Laker/Clipper rivalry they actually compete for divisional reasons, as with the Rangers and Islanders in the NHL. However for baseball these teams only impact on each others seasons are the 2 series we play against each other. Otherwise we won't see each other unless a miracle occures and both teams make the World Series.
I'm serious about this question though. What is the big deal? Are Cub fans that jealous of our 2005 title? Are we that jealous of the press time and clippings? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Go ahead and cheer your heart out for both inner city teams. Just don't say we did not warn you when they pick on you over there.

JB98
05-30-2008, 04:47 PM
See personally I enjoy the Cubs, not as much as the Sox, but I do enjoy Cub games. However I despise alot of their fans for **** like that. Unfortunately I see it from Sox fans as well and the whole package just urks me.

It was like the guy was trying to make me jealous or something. I just said, "My favorite ballclub is in first place too," grabbed my tray of food and headed toward the dining area.

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Do you really need an argument here? :shocked:
I just find it ironic that a "they suck balls" post is directed towards the team with the best record in baseball. Almost as intelligent as when you walk out of a Bears game against say the "North Carolina Jimmys" and Bear fans chant "Packers suck!" even though they are in 1st place.

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Go ahead and cheer your heart out for both inner city teams. Just don't say we did not warn you when they pick on you over there.
Someone says something to me I simply say until one of them doesn't have Chicago on their jerseys I will cheer for them. Usually shuts people up.
It was like the guy was trying to make me jealous or something. I just said, "My favorite ballclub is in first place too," grabbed my tray of food and headed toward the dining area.
Ya he is a piece of **** and probably couldn't name 10 of the 25 players on the Northside.

cleanwsox
05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I just find it ironic that a "they suck balls" post is directed towards the team with the best record in baseball. Almost as intelligent as when you walk out of a Bears game against say the "North Carolina Jimmys" and Bear fans chant "Packers suck!" even though they are in 1st place.

Well, I could be saying that towards the last 99 years or so.. but hey, what's the difference.

manders_01
05-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, specifically speaking of the White Sox - Scrubs rivalry, as always Wiki is insightful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sox-Cubs_rivalry

MarySwiss
05-30-2008, 06:32 PM
A slight detour, but I was pleased to discover on my return to work that my company--in its infinite wisdom--had hired another Sox fan! We now have the lone Cub fan outnumbered. (heh-heh!)

Just in case any of its customers are Cubs fans, I won't name the company I work for, but _____________ YES!!!

DSpivack
05-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Are Yankees-Mets and Dodgers-Angels really rivalries, especially as much as Sox-Cubs?

ws05champs
05-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Can someone explain to me why Sox/Cubs, NYY/Mets and LAD/LAAoA are such fierce rivalries between the fans? . . .for baseball these teams only impact on each others seasons are the 2 series we play against each other. Otherwise we won't see each other unless a miracle occures and both teams make the World Series.
You are trying to be logical. The word "fan" is derived from the word "fanatic" which implies a lack of logic.

For me, I really have nothing against the team, especially this year when they are playing good baseball. I also have nothing against most of their true fans who know ledgable about baseball.

Unfortunately, it often seems that you run into some moron that has to go out of his or her way to try to insult you for being a Sox fan. I would not do such a thing to Cubs fans, but I know there are Sox fans that would. I really think that this, combined with Sox fans' jealousy over media attention and attendance are the main reasons for the heated part of this rivalry.

Outside of that, as the Wikipedia articles mentioned, there is a lot of it that is just good-natured verbal jousting. I also agree with the Wikipedia article that implies very little is actually because of socioeconomics.

Brian26
05-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Are Yankees-Mets and Dodgers-Angels really rivalries, especially as much as Sox-Cubs?

Dodgers-Angels rivalry is a stretch at best. Hell, the Giants-Dodgers is a bigger rivalry than LAA/LAD.

DSpivack
05-30-2008, 09:19 PM

That reminds me, last friday went to Yankee Stadium and sat in the bleachers as I watched two last-place teams, the boys from the Bronx and the Seattle Mariners. Sometime around the 5th inning, as the New Yorkers were on their way to a 13-2 blowout win, a 'Red Sox suck' chant came about. I knew Yankees suck chants were common in all sorts of Boston sporting events and wherever the Beantown public tends to congregrate in large numbers, but I had never heard of the opposite happening. I guess Yankee fans are just that desperate these days.

Railsplitter
05-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Well, specifically speaking of the White Sox - Scrubs rivalry, as always Wiki is insightful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sox-Cubs_rivalry

The article is fairly close to how I'd describe it.

Vernam
05-30-2008, 10:46 PM
The article is fairly close to how I'd describe it.That really is pretty even-handed. Maybe someday Wikipedia will bring peace to the Middle East. :wink:

Vernam

Ziggy S
05-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Inner City Sports
They Make me Wanna Holla
The Way They do My Life

They Make me Wanna Holla
And Throw up Both My Hands

roylestillman
05-31-2008, 10:15 AM

Given that the next thing that guy was going to say was "Do you want fries with that?" I wouldn't get too upset.

That said, I have noticed that Cub fans have started to turn mean. I was on the Rock (Metra) going to the Loop on Thursday afternoon with Cub fans going to the game. As we were nearing the station this one guy starts going off on a woman who mentioned she was a Sox fan (even though she was on her way to the Cub game. This guy was just screaming at her - to the point of psychotic. Friendly taunting is fine, abusive behavior on either side is at best embarassing.

JB98
05-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Given that the next thing that guy was going to say was "Do you want fries with that?" I wouldn't get too upset.

That said, I have noticed that Cub fans have started to turn mean. I was on the Rock (Metra) going to the Loop on Thursday afternoon with Cub fans going to the game. As we were nearing the station this one guy starts going off on a woman who mentioned she was a Sox fan (even though she was on her way to the Cub game. This guy was just screaming at her - to the point of psychotic. Friendly taunting is fine, abusive behavior on either side is at best embarassing.

Yeah, I wasn't too upset by the fast-food guy. Just mildly irritated, because things like that seem to be happening so frequently this year. I should be able to wear my Sox gear around town and celebrate my team being in first place at this stage of the year, without having yahoos taunt me.

Out here, I see a lot of people wearing Cubs stuff. People have the "W" flags flying outside their houses and all that ****. Despite that, I've never been inclined to exchange insults with somebody I don't even know on the grounds that they like a different baseball team than I do.

A couple weeks ago, I was down at the local barber shop, and my barber was telling me he almost had to break up a fight between a Sox fan and a Cubs fan whose "friendly taunting" got a little too personal. Usually, the barber shop is one of the most friendly places in the world, where men can be men and just get on each other's case a little bit. Not this summer, I guess.

There's a lot of angst from the Cubs fans this year. As Sox fans, I know we are all hoping for the best here in 2008. We have a decent shot to make the playoffs. KW will probably have to get us some offensive help at the deadline if we're going to make a real serious run. But even if we don't get there, we still have 2005. The Cubs, well, they better win this year or next. They've got some bad long-term contracts on that roster. They've got a short window to win, and I think the fans know it. It's now or never for them, and it's reflected in all that nervousness and anger.

OldRomanPizza
06-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Out here, I see a lot of people wearing Cubs stuff. People have the "W" flags flying outside their houses and all that ****. Despite that, I've never been inclined to exchange insults with somebody I don't even know on the grounds that they like a different baseball team than I do.

I want to buy a giant "L" flag and wave it around anytime the Sox beat the Century Club this season. Would be brilliant. I have seen those around and plan on getting one as soon as possible.

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2008, 08:26 AM
My guess is that 99% of Sox fans that were born in the Chicago area despise the Cubs. I have never run into a native Chicagoan that likes both teams, people that say they are for both are from somewhere else.

MarySwiss
06-01-2008, 08:59 AM
My guess is that 99% of Sox fans that were born in the Chicago area despise the Cubs. I have never run into a native Chicagoan that likes both teams, people that say they are for both are from somewhere else.
Then you never ran into my husband. He's a Cub fan first, but he grew up watching both teams, so he is able to enjoy the Sox, but the Cubs still cause him pain.

DSpivack
06-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Then you never ran into my husband. He's a Cub fan first, but he grew up watching both teams, so he is able to enjoy the Sox,
but the Cubs still cause him pain.

My dad was the same way. Grew up in Rogers Park, so more of a Cub fan, but went to a lot of games on both sides of town.

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Then you never ran into my husband. He's a Cub fan first, but he grew up watching both teams, so he is able to enjoy the Sox, but the Cubs still cause him pain.
I did say 99%, so your hubby is among the 1%. The Cubs cause me pain also; every time they win a game.

whitesox901
06-01-2008, 02:46 PM
It gets intense over here at my house, when Barret hit AJ, me and my dad didnt talk all day

soxpride724
06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Cubs fans love to taunt Sox fans , well where I'm from they do. Anyway, I go to a popular local bar and grill restaraunt chain the other day, and when the manager of the establishment seats my wife and I, and he gives me a bunch of **** (I'm wearing my throwback Sox hat) about how Sox fans food comes out longer and how they charge us extra. I know how to take a joke and I could see that this guy was playing around (for the most part anyway) but I wasn't in the mood and didn't even acknowledge him, that just shut him up and he felt stupid, left our menus and walked away:D:

getonbckthr
06-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Cubs fans love to taunt Sox fans , well where I'm from they do. Anyway, I go to a popular local bar and grill restaraunt chain the other day, and when the manager of the establishment seats my wife and I he gives me a bunch of **** (I'm wearing my throwback Sox hat) about how Sox fans food comes out longer and how they charge us extra. I know how to take a joke and I could see that this guy was playing around (for the most part anyway) but I wasn't in the mood and didn't even acknowledge him, that just shut him up and he felt stupid, left our menus and walked away:D:
Probably spit in your food as well.:bandance:

soxpride724
06-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Probably spit in your food as well.:bandance:

I wouldn't expect anything less...

doublem23
06-01-2008, 09:01 PM

Yes they are. Don't ever let them tell you they aren't, and anyone who does is full of ****.

The only thing great about this season for the Cubs is to see what new and hilarious way they'll find to **** it all up.

RadioheadRocks
06-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Yes they are. Don't ever let them tell you they aren't, and anyone who does is full of ****.

The only thing great about this season for the Cubs is to see what new and hilarious way they'll find to **** it all up.

Which is exactly why it's so hysterical to see them reacting like they've won the World Series each time they won this week.

Last time I checked the calendar it said June 1.

OldRomanPizza
06-01-2008, 10:53 PM

Yeah plenty of fans who can go both ways.

My mom, a Cubs fan, will not root for the Sox, but won't root against them either, and when they are in big games, will be pulling for the Sox.

My dad, lifelong Sox fan, never cared about the Cubs either way, but got a chuckle out of their miseries.

My sister, another big Sox fan and partial season ticket holder at Comiskey, will go to Wrigley with my mom and even wears Cubs gear. :angry:

Extended family is all Cubs fans, one cousin of mine said October 26, 2005 was the worst day of his life!

A few Cub fans friends who hate the Sox, but a few others who will cheer the Sox in big games, and some friends who are vice versa.

I will only root for the Cubs if and when they are my mother's dying wish.

soxpride724
06-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Which is exactly why it's so hysterical to see them reacting like they've won the World Series each time they won this week.

Last time I checked the calendar it said June 1.

It's fever pitch here in Naperville. I guess I've learned to tune it out cause I'm so used to it.
Either way, heres to a premature flubbie colapse:gulp:

JB98
06-02-2008, 12:03 AM
It's fever pitch here in Naperville. I guess I've learned to tune it out cause I'm so used to it.
Either way, heres to a premature flubbie colapse:gulp:

Yeah, I live in North Aurora, and I can't go out in public without having a Cubs fan taunt me.

You just have to bide your time. The Cubs will choke in the end.

UofCSoxFan
06-02-2008, 01:24 AM
I can respect die hard Cub fans. It's the people that root for "Chicago" that bother me. Pick a side and stick with it, through good times and bad. It made 2005 much more enjoyable for me because I stuck with the Sox through the popularity boom of the Cubs. If I had rooted for both teams and been excited no matter which one won the Series it would have been a much more superficial victory. Again, I'm talking for myself, but that is how I feel. And by no means do I think I'm unique.

I mean seriously how can anyone question why there is a rivalry? For MOST of the people in Chicago that pick one team or another, there is a rivalry b/c you pick the one team and go with it. You take your lumps when your team is down and you have bragging rights when your team is up. For the vast minority that roots for both teams, why would there be a rivalry....you're a winner no matter who wins the crosstown games...

jonred
06-02-2008, 06:59 AM

As a northsider, I agree completely. I actually enjoying watching the Sox play, but it's the percentage of Sox fans who hate anything Cubs that fuels the rivalry. Same can be said for moronic Cubs fans as well. There are knowledgeable baseball fans on both sides of town and then the hotheads.

kraut83
06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
My dad, lifelong Sox fan, never cared about the Cubs either way, but got a chuckle out of their miseries.

I'm the same way. I did get a good laugh out of 2003, but living in Michigan, I don't have to deal with the "Wrigley fans" on a regular basis, and they are just another NL team to me.

Games against the Twins, Tigers, Royals and Toons will always mean more to me.

D. TODD
06-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm not having a problem with giddy Cub fans. Yeah, they can be obnoxious, but if they start gloating I just speak the truth. I say your guys are kicking ass and playing good baseball that's for sure, and that usually tempers the venom by the blowhard Cub fan. If the idiot goes negative toward the Sox I say we're doing just fine and I like our chances this year. Then I'll wish 'em luck on that world series thing, I could assure you it sure is a lot of fun with a big smile on my face.

russ99
06-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I want to buy a giant "L" flag and wave it around anytime the Sox beat the Century Club this season. Would be brilliant. I have seen those around and plan on getting one as soon as possible.

There's a guy in my northside neighborhood that flies a blue "L" flag in his yard, along with his Sox flags. :D::gulp:

I'm still waiting for those street entrepreneurs to come up with a "L" flag t-shirt... but I guess it's not insulting or insensitive enough.

Mr.1Dog
06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm not having a problem with giddy Cub fans. Yeah, they can be obnoxious, but if they start gloating I just speak the truth. I say your guys are kicking ass and playing good baseball that's for sure, and that usually tempers the venom by the blowhard Cub fan. If the idiot goes negative toward the Sox I say we're doing just fine and I like our chances this year. Then I'll wish 'em luck on that world series thing, I could assure you it sure is a lot of fun with a big smile on my face.

You want to piss them off even more? Start talking about how great the Cards are playing and how annoying it must be that they are lingering around.

soxpride724
06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
There's a guy in my northside neighborhood that flies a blue "L" flag in his yard, along with his Sox flags. :D::gulp:

I'm still waiting for those street entrepreneurs to come up with a "L" flag t-shirt... but I guess it's not insulting or insensitive enough.

That's awesome! I conducted a survey last year when the Cubs were on thier way to elimination in the NLDS, with Cub fans mind you, two out of like 15 knew what the "L" flag stands for,lol.:scratch:

OldRomanPizza
06-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Thats it. Everyone bring your L flags when the Cubs visit the Cell! :smile:

chisoxfanatic
06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Reminding them about 2005 seems to shut up most of them. For those of them who claim that's "living in the past," reminding them that their team still is the Cubs who always find some way to screw things up in the end leaves a blank look on their face.

Viva Medias B's
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Reminding them about 2005 seems to shut up most of them. For those of them who claim that's "living in the past," reminding them to stop fawning over 1969 as if that squad was the greatest in the history of baseball really gets them good.

Fixed it for ya.

chisoxfanatic
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Fixed it for ya.

Yea, that might work on the elder Cub fans; however, most of the Cub fans I come in contact with weren't even born then, so the response I typed generally has worked. But, yea, a ton of the elder Cub fans do think that about the '69 team...You even hear it on the radio shows when they call in.

DSpivack
06-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Yea, that might work on the elder Cub fans; however, most of the Cub fans I come in contact with weren't even born then, so the response I typed generally has worked. But, yea, a ton of the elder Cub fans do think that about the '69 team...You even hear it on the radio shows when they call in.

Cub fans also seem to take a certain loser pride in that team being choke artists....but they weren't even that good at it that year. That Met team was, to quote Lee Elia 15 or so years later, hotter than ****.

DumpJerry
06-02-2008, 10:43 PM
What are these "Cubs" and "Cubs' fans" everyone speaks of?

soxfan43
06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
I can't wait for Sox-Cubs. We usually go 2 cubs and 2 sox fans in our group, so it's always a lot of fun.

soxpride724
06-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Thats it. Everyone bring your L flags when the Cubs visit the Cell! :smile:

They still won't know what it means.:scratch: