PDA

View Full Version : 6/22 Vs. Cubs Officially 7:05 on ESPN

beasly213
05-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Just checked whitesox.com and cubs.com and the 6/22 game at Wrigley Field time has been changed from TBD to 7:05 on ESPN for their Sunday Night baseball game of the week.

So good news that Chicago will be the focus instead of New York or Boston for once and more people will again get to see our team.

Bad news is people tend to get stupid during night games between the Cubs and Sox.

I'm going to this game and am torn on whether I'm happy about it or not.

I think if I was just watching this on TV I would be happy because ESPN, while they have annoying commentators have great production during their broadcasts.

Let's just hope for as few incidents as possible at the game between dumb fans. And of course a White Sox Winner!

kittle42
05-30-2008, 03:31 PM
The last time they had a Sunday night game at Wrigley for this series, the Sox got swept. Hangar and I got ripped and stood outside the stadium yelling at the Sox' bus. Yes, I know, stupid behavior. But boy, were we pissed off.

pierzynski07
05-30-2008, 03:32 PM
"Giants suck. Knicks suck. Yankees suck." - Peter Griffin.

Replace Giants with Mets, ignore the Knicks part, and that pretty much explains it.

jdm2662
05-30-2008, 03:33 PM
I was at Sunday's night game against the Angels. There were dumb drunks at that game. Hell, one guy in the row ahead of me was puking in aisle. He got some **** on some of the people in front of him.

I'm glad I will won't be attending this game...

jabrch
05-30-2008, 03:33 PM
That means that the game on the 29th will likely not be a nationally televised night game. Which is good...I'd rather go on a day game.

kobo
05-30-2008, 03:35 PM
I was at Sunday's night game against the Angels. There were dumb drunks at that game. Hell, one guy in the row ahead of me was puking in aisle. He got some **** on some of the people in front of him.

I'm glad I will won't be attending this game...
It's at Wrigley. Is the 6/29 game time still TBD? I thought the 6/22 game time had been official for a while now. It was listed on the magnetic schedule they handed out on Opening Day as a 7:05 game.

beasly213
05-30-2008, 03:39 PM
It's at Wrigley. Is the 6/29 game time still TBD? I thought the 6/22 game time had been official for a while now. It was listed on the magnetic schedule they handed out on Opening Day as a 7:05 game.

It was on the magnetic schedule but on whitesox.com it has been TBD for a while.

Corlose 15
05-30-2008, 03:52 PM
The last time they had a Sunday night game at Wrigley for this series, the Sox got swept. Hangar and I got ripped and stood outside the stadium yelling at the Sox' bus. Yes, I know, stupid behavior. But boy, were we pissed off.

Didn't Carlos Lee hit a homerun in like the 9th inning to tie it and Koch promptly walked in the winning run the next half inning?

It was like the 3rd time Koch had blown a save by walking in a run that year.:angry:

dickallen15
05-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Didn't Carlos Lee hit a homerun in like the 9th inning to tie it and Koch promptly walked in the winning run the next half inning?

It was like the 3rd time Koch had blown a save by walking in a run that year.:angry:
Marte allowed the walk-off walk.

kittle42
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Yeah - it was Marte. Man, was I fuming.

Kogs35
05-30-2008, 04:57 PM
That means that the game on the 29th will likely not be a nationally televised night game. Which is good...I'd rather go on a day game.

6/29 will prob be tbs if the yankees/mets game is picked by espn for that day. angels/dodgers is the other TBD. yankees are in danger of getting to the limit of 5 times on espn with 3 matchups vs the red sox and 1 with the mets means they only have 1 more game allowed on espn.

Soxman219
05-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Just checked whitesox.com and cubs.com and the 6/22 game at Wrigley Field time has been changed from TBD to 7:05 on ESPN for their Sunday Night baseball game of the week.

So good news that Chicago will be the focus instead of New York or Boston for once and more people will again get to see our team.

Bad news is people tend to get stupid during night games between the Cubs and Sox.

I'm going to this game and am torn on whether I'm happy about it or not.

I think if I was just watching this on TV I would be happy because ESPN, while they have annoying commentators have great production during their broadcasts.

Let's just hope for as few incidents as possible at the game between dumb fans. And of course a White Sox Winner!

Good. The nation will watch as we embrass the Cubs on national TV.

turners56
05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Good. The nation will watch as we embrass the Cubs on national TV.

There's nothing better than that in the regular season. :bandance:

Foulke You
05-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah - it was Marte. Man, was I fuming.
I was there too. One of the worst games I've ever attended in person. It was one of the single biggest choke pitches I've ever seen. After Carlos Lee's heroics, to see Marte literally hand the game back to the Cubs was inexcusable. The pitch wasn't even close. I remember the bleacherites threw all of their beer cups on the field to "celebrate" after we walked in the run.:rolleyes:

JB98
05-30-2008, 05:45 PM

I agree completely. I have tickets for the 29th and have been hoping for a 1:05 start.

If it's 7:05, people will be drunk before the game even starts. That will make the day far less enjoyable.

twentywontowin
05-30-2008, 06:17 PM
This is bad for us suburban people going to the game because of the lack of Wrigley parking and the amount of people who take the train.

I'm going. This means I'm taking the Metra Rock Island to the Red Line to get there. Coming home though, let's say the game ends at 10:05, which would be about right considering national games tend to run long.

The last Rock Island leaves LaSalle St. at 11:05. So I have an hour to get on the train and get downtown to not miss the last train home? Not feasible with that kind of crowd. It forces me to take the Orange Line out of Midway/Pulaski now, since that runs until midnight. And even then, if the game runs extra innings...lots of people are going to have to leave the game early to make their trains home.

And this is difficult for me and I live close to the two trains thankfully. Now how about fans who live further outside the city?

Going to be a nightmare.

North Sox Sider
05-30-2008, 06:22 PM

I was at that game too...I never EVER forgave Marte for that one. I was so relieved when we got rid of him. It was so bad on the streets on Clark that I actually saw a fireman waving a broom outside of his fire truck..good grief

Foulke You
05-30-2008, 06:38 PM
6/29 will prob be tbs if the yankees/mets game is picked by espn for that day.
TBS does mid afternoon games correct? It won't be running opposite ESPN Sunday Night baseball? I think you might be right on this count. If it is a national game, it will be TBS. I doubt ESPN would pick up the same matchup two Sunday's in a row. It's highly unlikely the Sunday game at The Cell will be on ESPN.

Kogs35
05-30-2008, 06:43 PM
TBS does mid afternoon games correct? It won't be running opposite ESPN Sunday Night baseball? I think you might be right on this count. If it is a national game, it will be TBS. I doubt ESPN would pick up the same matchup two Sunday's in a row. It's highly unlikely the Sunday game at The Cell will be on ESPN.

tbs does do afternoon games. ESPN did the subway series a few years ago on back to back weekends.

TDog
05-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Chicago should pass a city ordinance forbidding its baseball teams from playing on Sunday night.

ChicagoG19
05-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree completely. I have tickets for the 29th and have been hoping for a 1:05 start.

If it's 7:05, people will be drunk before the game even starts. That will make the day far less enjoyable. Less enjoyable?

Daver
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Less enjoyable?

I prefer to not be surrounded by inebriated people.

thegooch
05-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I have tickets for the 29th and have been hoping for a 1:05 start.
If it's 7:05, people will be drunk before the game even starts.

Especially considering the Gay Pride Parade is that day. I was hoping for the later start so I could attend that pre-game.

sullythered
05-30-2008, 08:41 PM
I prefer to not be surrounded by inebriated people.
A few years ago I dug the night Sox/Cubs games, but these days they are just too much.

To be honest, I kinda want to do away with interleague completely.

Brian26
05-30-2008, 08:54 PM
The last time they had a Sunday night game at Wrigley for this series, the Sox got swept.

The other frustrating part was that it was a cheap series sweep because the Saturday game was called in the sixth inning because Wrigley's infield "couldn't handle any more water." This was after the Sox put a couple of runs on the board right before they called it.

cws05champ
05-30-2008, 09:02 PM
This is bad for us suburban people going to the game because of the lack of Wrigley parking and the amount of people who take the train.

I'm going. This means I'm taking the Metra Rock Island to the Red Line to get there. Coming home though, let's say the game ends at 10:05, which would be about right considering national games tend to run long.

The last Rock Island leaves LaSalle St. at 11:05. So I have an hour to get on the train and get downtown to not miss the last train home? Not feasible with that kind of crowd. It forces me to take the Orange Line out of Midway/Pulaski now, since that runs until midnight. And even then, if the game runs extra innings...lots of people are going to have to leave the game early to make their trains home.

And this is difficult for me and I live close to the two trains thankfully. Now how about fans who live further outside the city?

Going to be a nightmare.
I will take those tickets off your hands and gladly pay you Tuesday! :D:

Brian26
05-30-2008, 09:02 PM
A few years ago I dug the night Sox/Cubs games, but these days they are just too much.

To be honest, I kinda want to do away with interleague completely.

The stupidity level at these games has gradually, over the years, become intolerable. Between the fights and the drinking, a crosstown ticket has become a license to be a jag-bag.

Brian26
05-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Now how about fans who live further outside the city?

Move closer to civilization? :shrug:

Can't have it both ways.

kittle42
05-30-2008, 09:05 PM

Can't have it both ways.

Amen!

champagne030
05-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Can't have it both ways.

Amen!

Getting out of our park isn't a 'problem'. Going to a near suburb, such as Brookfield, becomes a two hour deal when leaving that dump at Clark and Addison. :shrug:

I want Mags back
05-30-2008, 10:37 PM

Going to be a nightmare.

screw the Rock line. Drive to 87th and the Ryan, park in the Jewel lot, and red line it from there

Railsplitter
05-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Didn't the Yankees and Mets play the same weekend the Sox were in Frisco? So unless there are three Yankees-Mets series, there's no conflict.

twentywontowin
05-31-2008, 12:22 AM

Can't have it both ways.

I live 400 feet from the Chicago city limits. I'm really out there. :rolleyes:

FedEx227
05-31-2008, 02:22 AM
The stupidity level at these games has gradually, over the years, become intolerable. Between the fights and the drinking, a crosstown ticket has become a license to be a jag-bag.

I wouldn't go to a Cubs/Sox game if someone paid me. I just couldn't stand being with 20,000 morons yapping at each other about nonsense and acting like complete *******s.

Dick Allen
05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
I won't attend a Sox-cubs game. I'd end up spending the rest of my life in jail.

kevingrt
05-31-2008, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't go to a Cubs/Sox game if someone paid me. I just couldn't stand being with 20,000 morons yapping at each other about nonsense and acting like complete *******s.

It's usually more then 20,000. I'd say both sides of town act like idiots.

oeo
05-31-2008, 01:19 PM
It's usually more then 20,000. I'd say both sides of town act like idiots.

It is both sides. For some reason, a Sox-Cubs game gives you the right to act like a moron.

It's the worst baseball experience...never again will I go. I can't even imagine what a night game would be like with the few extra hours of drinking.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2008, 02:19 PM
I remember a few years ago (don't recall exactly when) but it was the last time a Cub/Sox game was played at night on the South Side.

It was televised by the Eastern Sports Programming Network and was delayed in the 8th inning when two drunks who were fighting each other rolled on to the tarp down the 3rd base line then fell on to the field off it.

Lip

JB98
05-31-2008, 02:32 PM
It is both sides. For some reason, a Sox-Cubs game gives you the right to act like a moron.

It's the worst baseball experience...never again will I go. I can't even imagine what a night game would be like with the few extra hours of drinking.

It's my least favorite series of the year as well. And without a doubt, fans from both teams act like fools at those games.

Vestigio
05-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Count me in as someone who cannot stand going to the crosstown series. In 2003 I had seats in UD, and all around who can hear people arguing and cussing at each other. Probably the worst experience I had attending a ballgame

whitesox901
05-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Damn, gonna miss this one, working to close at the ol' pizzaria. it always seems the White Sox TV Schedule loves to syncronize with my work schedule, But im sure the White Sox Moble TXT alerts will keep me up to date :cool:

MCHSoxFan
05-31-2008, 05:19 PM

If it's 7:05, people will be drunk before the game even starts. That will make the day far less enjoyable.

You got that right! I really, really want a day game! 12PM, 1PM, 2PM! Heck, even 3PM! Just NOT 6/7 PM. However, if its not an afternoon game, It still may not be as bad as I think it will only because my season tickets are that private box area in the 300 level next to Farmio and the other presses boxes. Still, I want a day game.

EDIT: Oh yes do I want a day game NO MATTER WHAT! I have to walk home and even though I love Bridgeport, when Cubs fans are there after a game... Like last season. After BOTH Sat. & Sun. games, people were going nuts. Not around my house, but on my way home and I live at the first street by the stadium so they will be pretty darn close!

October26
05-31-2008, 05:38 PM
You got that right! I really, really want a day game! 12PM, 1PM, 2PM! Heck, even 3PM! Just NOT 6/7 PM. However, if its not an afternoon game, It still may not be as bad as I think it will only because my season tickets are that private box area in the 300 level next to Farmio and the other presses boxes. Still, I want a day game.

EDIT: Oh yes do I want a day game NO MATTER WHAT! I have to walk home and even though I love Bridgeport, when Cubs fans are there after a game... Like last season. After BOTH Sat. & Sun. games, people were going nuts. Not around my house, but on my way home and I live at the first street by the stadium so they will be pretty darn close!

Reading your post made me realize that no matter what the result of the game is, fans will act crazy. I love Bridgeport because growing up, we always parked there (near Emerald) on the way to Comiskey Park. My memories are of White sox fans in White Sox gear. Last year, my sister got tickets to a game at US Cellular where the Cubs beat the Sox. It was horrible - sitting in a sea of blue and having Cubs fans hissing and jeering at us. I'm normally a calm person but that day, I was really agitated. I'm happy for you that you have 300 level seats. And I agree with everybody who has said that they prefer day games.

MCHSoxFan
05-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Reading your post made me realize that no matter what the result of the game is, fans will act crazy. I love Bridgeport because growing up, we always parked there (near Emerald) on the way to Comiskey Park. My memories are of White sox fans in White Sox gear. Last year, my sister got tickets to a game at US Cellular where the Cubs beat the Sox. It was horrible - sitting in a sea of blue and having Cubs fans hissing and jeering at us. I'm normally a calm person but that day, I was really agitated. I'm happy for you that you have 300 level seats. And I agree with everybody who has said that they prefer day games.

Thanks October! You made me feel good about where I live and my season tickets! :D: Thanks! I live on 36th/Normal. Really, really close to 37th/Normal, however.

thomas35forever
05-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Count me in as someone who cannot stand going to the crosstown series. In 2003 I had seats in UD, and all around who can hear people arguing and cussing at each other. Probably the worst experience I had attending a ballgame
Hopefully, your experience wasn't as bad as this incident from last year:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EzMrSCzK94E

soxfan21
05-31-2008, 09:46 PM

I agree, I'll probably sell my tickets for that game if it is a night game just so I don't have to put up with the dumb drunks before, during, and after the game. I'm just praying it's an afternoon game.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2008, 09:50 PM
I've never had a problem at the CTC. Even at Wrigley! It's been fun.

chisoxmike
05-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Getting out of our park isn't a 'problem'. Going to a near suburb, such as Brookfield, becomes a two hour deal when leaving that dump at Clark and Addison. :shrug:

Take the train.

champagne030
06-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Take the train.

Taking the CTA and Metra back to Brookfield is still a two hour deal.

WestSider
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if this game will also be broadcast on WGN TV? Not sure how the contracts work whether that is allowed. The reason I ask is that have over-the-air HD, but my cable is still not HD.

Viva Medias B's
06-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Is this the first time the same two teams played each other consecutively on Sunday Night Baseball? I would think they've done it with NYY-NYM, but I am not sure.

FedEx227
06-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know if this game will also be broadcast on WGN TV? Not sure how the contracts work whether that is allowed. The reason I ask is that have over-the-air HD, but my cable is still not HD.

I'm pretty sure it won't be on WGN anymore just ESPN. And I'm in the same boat :( no HD at my place.

MCHSoxFan
06-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm pretty sure it won't be on WGN anymore just ESPN. And I'm in the same boat :( no HD at my place.

I was luck. We bought an HDTV @ Abt and they gave me a free cable to hook-up by Comcast box up to the TV via HD. They actually did it. This was in Nov. of 2007.

Sad
06-11-2008, 08:30 AM

I quit going a few years ago...
I don't understand why this is a must-pick game on the Ozzie plan :scratch:... I'd prefer an alternate game

spiffie
06-11-2008, 09:02 AM
With all the people who hate the games vs. the Cubs you would think the WSI Ticket Exchange would be swamped by people looking to sell their tickets, making sure Sox fans get those seats instead of helping to fill the park with Cubs fans :wink:

soxfan21
06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
With all the people who hate the games vs. the Cubs you would think the WSI Ticket Exchange would be swamped by people looking to sell their tickets, making sure Sox fans get those seats instead of helping to fill the park with Cubs fans :wink:

I would sort of agree with you, but cubs fans are willing to pay a hell of a lot more for these tickets, and some of the tickets are outrageously priced. Tickets in my section (face value $42) for the sunday game are going for $200 a piece on stub hub. Thats nuts...

kittle42
06-11-2008, 11:05 AM

I love when people who know I have season tickets ask if I am selling those and then whether I am selling them at cost.

1. No.
2. Even if I was, definitely not.