PDA

View Full Version : The season is nearly 1/3 over - how do you feel now?

Bob G
05-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Well we've played 53 games now (not including the one that was suspended) which means we'll be through 1/3 of the season after today. How do you feel about the team so far? What areas have exceeded expectations and where have they fallen short?

My thoughts are:
Pitching - outstanding - exceeded expectations
Offense - overall poor but I'm "cautiously optimistic" we'll improve soon
Defense - not very good - especially Crede with 11 errors already (see separate thread on this)

Given the tough schedule we've had with all the road games and with 30W's we're on track to win 90 which I believe will be enough. Probably the biggest surprise so far is Detroit and Cleveland although I wouldn't write either one off just yet.

June should be a very exciting month for Chicago baseball fans with 6 games against the Flubs.

kevin57
05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm feeling very good about the Sox.

There are a couple of worries: Mark B. is inconsistent at best and while the offense has shown some improvement, I wonder if Thome and Konerko will wind up hitting where middle men should be: .275 or above.

But there are lots of pleasant surprises: I had written off Contreras as washed-up. He's proving me wrong. The bullpen has shown marked, no, incredible improvement. Someone(s) deserve kudos for that.

The question marks: Will the 4th and 5th starters hold up to the rigors of the long season? Will Crede's defense improve (some others' as well)? Will the media spotlight that has been intense finally fray the edges of this team?

Overall, considering where I thought they'd be right now, they're doing very well.

rainbow6
05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't think you are allowed to judge Joe Crede's defense based on the logic going on in that other thread. Unless you are a scout - which you can't be because you know how many errors Crede has.

We've been informed errors don't mean anything.

In fact, I may need to reread that thread but I don't think we are supposed to watch Crede anymore. Unless you are a scout.

Red Barchetta
05-30-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm definitely looking at this from a glass "half-full' perspective.

With the way the big money players are playing; Beuhrle, Thome, Konerko and Swisher and the fact that we are in first place and 7 games over .500 is a small miracle in my book.

If the above mentioned players can get back to their career averages, we can really move ahead of our division/league.

I'm just glad Quentin showed up. He made me forget Pods really quick. Floyd and Danks have been outstanding.

BTW - I read a local paper (Tampa) today that confirmed that the game last night between the SOX and Rays was the first gave ever in Tropicana between two 1st place baseball teams. :o:

TomBradley72
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Team has exceeded my expectations. I still think we need a reliable everyday player that can bring speed, SBs, "run maufacturing" ability to the line up. I haven't seen that with Cabrera, maybe Ramirez?

Swisher, Konerko and Thome...we need at least 2 of the 3 to return to their historical performance levels.

But to be in 1st place after all the hitting problems in the first two months. I like our chances.

jabrch
05-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Offense - overall poor but I'm "cautiously optimistic" we'll improve soon

6th in the AL in terms of runs scored... While it isn't what we are used to, Poor may even be a bit too harsh.

6th in RS
5th in SLG
8th in OBP
12th in AVG

My personal and uneducated opinion is that if we would stop taking first ball fast ball strkes so much, and stop digging 0-1 holes, I think we'd see even more successes... but as I said - I know very little. I imagine Walk/OG and the coaches have our guys taking so often for a reason.

kaufsox
05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
to quote my english friends: "Top of the table, having a laugh!" What's better than rooting for a first place team?:D:

voodoochile
05-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm happy with our pitching. I feel confident the hitting will get stronger as players start hitting closer to career norms. I love the bullpen.

In other words, about the same as I felt in March...:D:

Palehose Pete
05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm happy. The team is in first place. The pieces are in place and, for the most part, working well to keep them there. Also, it seems like the team has a good approach. One game at a time, one series at a time. That's how it worked in '05. For the first time since '05, I feel like the team has that philosophy, like they're not taking anything for granted this season.

jabrch
05-30-2008, 11:22 AM
In other words, about the same as I felt in March...:D:

Well said Voo

ode to veeck
05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Pitching looks great, nice to have a pen again, and Quentin is the pleasant surprise with the stick for sure. Deep bench helps too. Let's see them finish off the series W against the surprising Rays this weekend. Go Sox!

asindc
05-30-2008, 11:28 AM
I feel like my pre-season expectations are coming to fruition. I had the Sox pegged for 88-92 wins before the season started and a wild card berth behind Cleveland (I didn't think Det. would have the pitching... still don't).

Pitching: Figured it would be better than last year. Expected Contreras to bounce back, for reasons of pride if nothing else. Thought Danks would figure it out, but admittedly not this well. Figured Floyd must have something going for him, as I respect KW's track record in dealing with pitchers. Figured Vazquez would emerge as ace. Figured Buehrle would slip a bit, but not much, and I suspect that will be the case by the end of the year. Expected the bullpen to be much better after the additions/subtractions. Figured Jenks would be Jenks.

Hitting: Expected the team overall to bounce back. More than anything else, I just wanted to see the veterans play for something again, which didn't happen most of last season.

Defense: It has been average, but we are getting used to better than average, especially from Crede. I think he'll turn it on eventually (contract year, anyone?), so I'm not too worried.

Managing/Front Office: I tend to take a big picture view of how the team is run. That said, I like to give anyone who had a hand in winning the 2005 WS the benefit of the doubt. For example, I wouldn't have traded Carlos Lee for Pods, but then that's why I'm not the Sox GM (thank goodness). I think it's safe to say KW has done his job so far this year and I've always liked Ozzie, the Cabrera thing being another example of why.

Bottom line: I'm cautiously optimistic that the Sox will win 91-93 games and make the playoffs.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-30-2008, 11:32 AM
If we get consistent hitting to match our consistent pitching, the division is ours. My gut fear is that we'll burn the pitchers out before the end of July but having to overuse them to stay in 1 or 2 run games if we don't get some consistent run scoring.

But, I will take 1st place 2 months into the season. Things look good.

Noneck
05-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Hopeful that I will have an interesting summer of baseball.

Bob G
05-30-2008, 11:36 AM
6th in the AL in terms of runs scored... While it isn't what we are used to, Poor may even be a bit too harsh.

6th in RS
5th in SLG
8th in OBP
12th in AVG

My personal and uneducated opinion is that if we would stop taking first ball fast ball strkes so much, and stop digging 0-1 holes, I think we'd see even more successes... but as I said - I know very little. I imagine Walk/OG and the coaches have our guys taking so often for a reason.

I may have been a bit harsh but going into this season I thought our offense was going to be a real strength with all the proven hitters we have. So I'll just say "below expectations".

I also may have been a bit harsh on our defense - looking at the MLB stats we're right in the middle as far as team fielding % goes. By the way, guess who is the #1 SS in the league? Yep - none other than OC! Guess those phone calls upstairs are paying off!!

Zisk77
05-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Effervescent...and i'm moderately please with the sox as well.

PolishPower83
05-30-2008, 11:48 AM
It's all about the pitching baby!

:bandance:

hawkjt
05-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Tonite is the 54th game which is the one/third mark of the season. Can Carlos get two rbi's and make 50? On track for 150 rbi's? Whoa. Did not see that coming.

I,too, have been very concerned about our batting average as a team but scoring runs is the object of the exercise so I am feeling a little better as of late about the offense. If they keep getting double-digit hits in games like last nite...they will be fine.

Linebrink has been worth every penny so far. Bobby has been Bobby..great.
Dotel has done his job. Massett ,Boone and Thornton ...all pretty solid.
To me, the single biggest improvement has been the bullpen.

Danks,Floyd and Jose are pleasant surprises so far. MB will be there and Javvy is MR. Steady the last couple of years...very good starting pitching.

Should be a fun summer in Chicago.

Frontman
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
One third of the season done and the rest of the division in the rear view mirror?

I'm feeling good. The Sox this season started rough, but have come around to be a solid team worth watching. I hope they keep it up and give us a ride this season into October.

btrain929
05-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm definitely looking at this from a glass "half-full' perspective.

With the way the big money players are playing; Beuhrle, Thome, Konerko and Swisherand the fact that we are in first place and 7 games over .500 is a small miracle in my book.

If the above mentioned players can get back to their career averages, we can really move ahead of our division/league.

I'm just glad Quentin showed up. He made me forget Pods really quick. Floyd and Danks have been outstanding.

BTW - I read a local paper (Tampa) today that confirmed that the game last night between the SOX and Rays was the first gave ever in Tropicana between two 1st place baseball teams. :o:

Isn't Swisher making like 3.5 mil or something this year? I agree he's lightyears away from where he should be statistically from an offensive standpoint, but he's not one of our big money players...

BRDSR
05-30-2008, 12:23 PM
I also may have been a bit harsh on our defense - looking at the MLB stats we're right in the middle as far as team fielding % goes.

Daver, this would an appropriate time to point out that errors are not a good measure of defensive strength.

This still would not be an appropriate time for a respected member of WSI to call Bob G a fool.

kraut83
05-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Given the tough schedule we've had with all the road games and with 30W's we're on track to win 90 which I believe will be enough.

You couldn't ask for much more from the SP and bullpen. I just hope John & Gavin can hold up over the whole season.

I still don't think 90 wins will be enough to take the division.

Jurr
05-30-2008, 12:30 PM
The beauty of every baseball season is the unexpected twists and turns that develop from the day pitchers and catchers report to the All-Star break, then watching to see if the team can thrive when it counts.

Who would've thought that Carlos Quentin would light the world on fire?
Contreras, Danks, and Floyd are lighting it up while Buehrle sucks?
AJ batting in the 2 hole?

I am enjoying the fact that the Sox are slowly taking the lead of Quentin's approach, which is finding power numbers AFTER maximizing contact. You're going to win a lot more games that way. They can't get into that "17-3 wins followed by 2-1 losses" mentality and expect to hold the division lead.

The biggest surprise to me is not the fact that the Sox are over .500. It's the fact that Detroit and Cleveland are SO underwhelming that has me scratching my head. Who would've thunk it?

soxpride724
05-30-2008, 12:33 PM
So far this team has exceeded my expectations, and I am just enjoying this early season success and hoping that it lasts. I am especially surprised at how well the pitching has been. If this pitching holds up, and the offense comes around I can see this squad making some noise in the playoffs.

soxfan21
05-30-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty happy right now with the team. Pitching has been great, Bullpen has been pretty good, and defense has not been too bad with the exception of a few blunders, and Joe Crede sometimes. The bats are starting to come back to life, and TCQ has been a stud all season so far. I just hope that we can keep this up, and if we do, playoffs here we come :D:.

Pear-Zin-Ski
05-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Baseball is played on a diamond...not on paper...and this team proves that....

All of you mention Detroit and Clevaland and how they should be competing with us right now...which is very far off from the word "competing"...Thome, Swisher and Konerko are NOWHERE near what they are capable of...and Buhrle is having a dissapointing start...and we are still in first place?????

This is why I love this game...after you have "figured" everything out something else starts to take place....

Offense: Carlos is right where he should be...awesome to see him break out and carry this team on his shoulders...and not to complain too much I think AJ should be moved down in the order...he seems to be having a mini-slump in the two hole right now...get Alexi in there....

Pitching: Did anyone expect our bullpen to be lights out? I thought they'd have a good handle on things...but no the deathgrip that they have every team in once the 7th inning comes around...its also very nice to see Floyd and Danks stun the rest of the league....

Defense: I really think this is whats going to kill us...anyone remember that game in TB a while back where we screwed up two pickoff plays? I dont like Dye in the outfield at all...should be DH'ing for Thome at least twice a week with Anderson or Swish in the outfield...and as far as the infield goes they seem pretty week compared to previous years...we can only hope that they get **** straight....

All in all the team gets a B+ from me with only room for improvement....

Go Sox! :gulp:

The Milkman
05-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Munchman??? You out there?

MCHSoxFan
05-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Munchman??? You out there?

LOL! Oh God was his post brutal to me during the Winter Meeting! Since those meetings, I have felt the White Sox would win the division this season. Now, I am even MORE confident! Just look, Mark is not @ 100%, not are our big hitters, and we are still 2 games up in first! WOW! Plus, all these brutal road games! I told my grandmother that if the White Sox have a good record for the month of May, the White Sox WILL WIN the division. All I can say is...YEEESSS!!! :D: Keep it up guys!

Chez
05-30-2008, 01:27 PM
The team has far exceeded my expectations. The back end of the rotation (Floyd and Contreras) have been great and the bullpen has been lights out. I'm confident that with warmer weather Konerko, Thome and Swisher will return to form. As a fan, all you can reasonably ask is for your team to be playing meaningful games in September. I think this team will be playing meaningful games in September.

pdimas
05-30-2008, 01:50 PM
17 road wins. The most in the majors. I really like that stat. Although the Angels have a better road win percentage.

Hitmen77
05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm feeling pretty good about the Sox right now.

Going into the season, my opinion was that the Sox had a roster full of players with a lot of potential upside. My biggest concern was that we were relying on too many question marks. So far, those question marks (Danks, Floyd, Contreras, Quentin) are doing great.

What I like about this team is that I don't think they've even hit their stride yet. Hopefully the last couple of games are showing that PK and Thome are finally busting out of their long slumps. I'm still waiting for Nick Swisher to show up.

Starting Pitching: If Buehrle gets back on track (and I think he will), we'll have 5 very solid starters in our rotation. Contreras is reminding me of the late 05/early 06 Jose, Vazquez looks like he's finally pulled himself together (starting last season), Danks and Floyd - looking great.

Bullpen: What can I say. Jenks-Linebrink-Dotel make a great trio. Even the rest of the pen has stepped up.

Lineup: I think it's only going to get better. We've been getting by with a bunch of guys in horrible slumps. OC seems to have broken out of it. If Konerko and Thome and Swisher can get going, we'll have a solid lineup.

Bench: Ramirez is getting better as the season goes on. Hall's offense has returned. Brian Anderson has done a good job as our 4th OF.

Carolina Kenny
05-30-2008, 01:55 PM
The Sox are a dangerous team:

Criteria for dangerousness:
1. Future Hall of Famer--Thome
2. World Series MVP--Dye
3. Gold Glove SS--Cabrera
4. World Series Hero--Konerko
5. Lock Down Scary All Star Reliever--Jenks
6. Highly Paid Free Agent Middle Reliever--Linbreck
7. Former Closer Wild Card Reliever--Dotel
8. Cuban Icon Starter--Contrares
9. Lead Leader in HR--TCQ
10. Crafty Veteran LH Starter-Burlhe
11. Crafty Second Year Starter--Danks
12. Cooper's Project of the Year--Flyod
13. Top Veteran Starter--Vasquez

pdimas
05-30-2008, 01:59 PM
LOL! Oh God was his post brutal to me during the Winter Meeting! Since those meetings, I have felt the White Sox would win the division this season. Now, I am even MORE confident! Just look, Mark is not @ 100%, not are our big hitters, and we are still 2 games up in first! WOW! Plus, all these brutal road games! I told my grandmother that if the White Sox have a good record for the month of May, the White Sox WILL WIN the division. All I can say is...YEEESSS!!! :D: Keep it up guys!

I felt really good about the team since then as well. I would tell anybody that would listen that this team was going to surprise people. I would then also tell them that Detroit may have the bats but that they were going to have to score a lot of runs every game since they were not going to have the pitching. :cool:

TomBradley72
05-30-2008, 02:07 PM
I think AJ should be moved down in the order...he seems to be having a mini-slump in the two hole right now...get Alexi in there....

I'd like to see Ozzie try that approach...at least with a LH starting.

LITTLE NELL
05-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Hitting seems like its coming around, but thank heaven for Quentin. He just about carried this team in April and May.
I expected good seasons from Danks and Floyd but we need MB to get back in form if we are going to win the ALCD.

whitesox901
05-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Im confident, but im not crowning us yet. I gotta agree with alot of people on here, if by the end of June, were still in first, with 6,7,8+ game lead over the second place team, then I'll probebly be sold. The Pitching has been awsome. The offense I think will be back to form, And I gotta say when the awsome pitching unites with the hardcore offense, The Sox will be the Blade of Excalibur, slaying the evil foes of the Sox. :Rocker:

RCWHITESOX
05-30-2008, 02:34 PM
The team has far exceeded my expectations. The back end of the rotation (Floyd and Contreras) have been great and the bullpen has been lights out. I'm confident that with warmer weather Konerko, Thome and Swisher will return to form. As a fan, all you can reasonably ask is for your team to be playing meaningful games in September. I think this team will be playing meaningful games in September.

The only thing I have to add is you have to hope the Cabrera situation goes away and doesn't become a distraction and my hope is that they still find a solid veteran second baseman until they can hand over the shortstop job to Ramirez.

jdm2662
05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
There is a LOOOOONNNNNNG way to go.

The pitching has been oustanding. Hitting has been, meh. God Bless TCQ. Otherwise, this team would've been in serious trouble.

That said, I can't complain about being in first place at the end of May. now, if it was at the end of Sept, I'd be even happier.

russ99
05-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised.

The bullpen is better than I expected, and I expected Linebrink and Dotel to be good. Danks and Floyd have really come far quickly, Contreras has some left in the tank and can't say more about Carlos Quentin.

While the Sox have had a good start, but I'm much more interested looking forward.

At some point in the next few weeks, we're going to see a drastic reversal - with the offense doing much better and the pitching doing a little worse due to the onset of hot weather and the traditional dead-arm period for pitchers. How the team gets through that will say a lot about our chances this year. Oh, and please beat the Cubs, guys. They're getting too smarmy for my taste and need a good south-side beat down.

I'd also like to see the Sox to do well at home, since they've scuffled a bit at the Cell this season. While a good road record is great, we gotta take care of biz in our own yard.

There's also Crede's (and Uribe's) impending FA status around the trade deadline, and the Sox still have a few holes, like 2B and maybe CF, and it would be nice to see Kenny pick up a leadoff speed guy at one of those spots for the stretch run. The usual suspects are available, like Crisp, Pierre, etc. but I wonder if Kenny would pay the high price the Mets would ask to bring Jose Reyes here, since he's rumored to be on the block. He'd be a perfect fit for the Sox.

Looking forward to a heck of a fun season!

asindc
05-30-2008, 03:00 PM
The only thing I have to add is you have to hope the Cabrera situation goes away and doesn't become a distraction and my hope is that they still find a solid veteran second baseman until they can hand over the shortstop job to Ramirez.

I hear you on the Cabrera situation. I've been rooting for him all the way this season up until this latest dust-up. I still want to do well, of course, but now I won't be disappointed if he is not back next year. That said, he has been playing better than ever since the "distraction," so maybe it won't have long-term consequences, other than him leaving for sure after the season.

turners56
05-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm extremely surprised at the starting pitching, I wasn't expecting both Floyd and Danks to be this good or Buehrle be so average (if not bad).

I'm extremely disappointed by Nick Swisher, Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, and to an extent, Orlando Cabrera. I have a pretty good feeling that our offense will eventually pick things up and start carrying the team along with the pitching. I think it's a matter of the weather, ever since the weather's heated up (this past week, it was nice at the Cell for the Angels series and it was pretty hot in Cleveland for the most part) Orlando Cabrera has been hitting around .400, so that's good to see and a sign that this offense does like more tropical weather.

As for the bullpen, I expected it to be improved, but not this much. Dotel and Linebrink have been worth every penny of the $9 million they're being paid this year. Not to mention everybody but Ehren Wasserman and Mike MacDougal have been extremely consistent.

Overall, I'd give this team an A- for what its done so far 1/3 of the way through. I feel good about our chance at the playoffs, but with a division so top heavy of talent, it's a very cautious confidence.