PDA

View Full Version : Is it time yet to extend Bobby?

jabrch
05-30-2008, 09:51 AM
At some point, we would benefit from buying out a year or two of his FA. It looks like he is legit - and that he's got his career/life heading all in the right direction.

So when do you think we extend Jenks?

Mr.1Dog
05-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Hopefully as soon as possible.

soxfan21
05-30-2008, 09:56 AM
My guess is that they will give him an offer in the offseason. He is heading down the right path and I really hope that we can keep him here for a while.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Bobby has been doing a great job for us and he's not showing any signs of letting up. JR knows how popular Jenks is so I doubt he's gonna let him walk.

Man, everyone talks about what a steal TCQ was from the D'Backs but to me KW's biggest steal was getting Bobby Jenks as a waiver pickup.

MOD EDIT: TEXT FROM BASEBALL-REFERENCE.COM IS COPYRIGHTED

White City
05-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Agreed.

Bobby Jenks -- waiver wire steal.
Matt Thornton for Joe Borchard. Pretty good outcome.
Danks/Masset for McCarthy. Looks like a victory so far.
(Essentially) Floyd for Garcia -- What a steal!
Linebrink -- looks like a great signing so far, but four years is a long time.
Contreras for Loaiza -- talk about buying low and selling high!
Vazquez for Chris Young -- we'll see, but Vazquez has become our ace.
Buehrle -- resigning him looking a little suspect right now, perhaps. Still, we love him and know that he can win big games if needed.
Octavio Dotel -- appears to be a good signing so far.

Just in pitching alone, Kenny clearly has done a masterful job. Add in TCQ and get career average performances from Cabrera and Swisher, get the Sox into the playoffs, and how can Kenny NOT get exec of the year?

thomas35forever
05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
I say this offseason. However, my dad thinks his arm will eventually blow out because he can't throw heat forever. I hope he's wrong though.

Iwritecode
05-30-2008, 11:14 AM
I say this offseason. However, my dad thinks his arm will eventually blow out because he can't throw heat forever. I hope he's wrong though.

He's not throwing just heat anymore. Plus, he's not dialing it up to 99/100 like he used to. I think he'll stick around for awhile.

ShoelessJoeS
05-30-2008, 11:50 AM
I think Churros is the safe bet.

balke
05-30-2008, 11:52 AM
/thread Hijack.

I'm too lazy to make a new thread, and the thread means very little anyhow. My vote is to extend Coop. How do we lock him down as a coach, he's been nothing short of fantastic. Even if he's just a lucky rabbits foot as some people don't believe coaches matter, his track record unbelievable.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-30-2008, 11:56 AM
/thread Hijack.

I'm too lazy to make a new thread, and the thread means very little anyhow. My vote is to extend Coop. How do we lock him down as a coach, he's been nothing short of fantastic. Even if he's just a lucky rabbits foot as some people don't believe coaches matter, his track record unbelievable.

Coop will get his extension too. He's been doing a great job and has also been with the Sox organization for so many years.

He had the chance to get the Yankees pitching coach job but ultimately decided to stay. Good for us that he did.

btrain929
05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I'd try to extend Bobby and Quentin ASAP, and pending on this season's results, examine Danks and Floyd in the offseason (Danks is a Boras client, soooooooo maybe not).

hi im skot
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I'd try to extend Bobby and Quentin ASAP, and pending on this season's results, examine Danks and Floyd in the offseason (Danks is a Boras client, soooooooo maybe not).

We can't just keep *****footing around with Boras clients. Yeah, he's a dirtbag, but let's get serious.

Huisj
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I think the Sox should extend him just like the Yankees are doing with Chamberlain--start using him in the 7th and 8th innings sometimes, and maybe if a starter has a blowout, he can come in and try to get a few innings of mop up work in to stretch his arm out a bit. Then down the road in a few month he can be a starter.

Haha, that's really what I thought was meant by "extend Bobby" in the title.

jabrch
05-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Bobby is the most pressing as he is closest to arbitration. Then CQ.

I'm willing to wait on Danks and Gavin a bit. That said, if either WANTS to work out a deal to sell us a few FA years at a decent price, I'd be buying. But not yet at market value to lock down 5+ years of required costs for guys having 1ish good years.

jabrch
05-30-2008, 01:21 PM
We can't just keep *****footing around with Boras clients. Yeah, he's a dirtbag, but let's get serious.

If he is willing to sign a reasonable deal to lock down his arb years and sell out a few FA years, I'm sure JR and KW would be happy to talk to him. If they want 5/75 for it - then there is no reason.

russ99
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Bobby is the most pressing as he is closest to arbitration. Then CQ.

I'm willing to wait on Danks and Gavin a bit. That said, if either WANTS to work out a deal to sell us a few FA years at a decent price, I'd be buying. But not yet at market value to lock down 5+ years of required costs for guys having 1ish good years.

How close?

Jenks has had close to 3 years service time, so I'd guess his first arb year is this offseason. If I were Kenny, I'd see what the difference between the 2 sides is before discussing a big long-term deal.

Quentin was a partial-season major leaguer the last 2 years, so he shouldn't get enough service time to hit arb for another 2 years. Why add another $7-10M contract to the payroll before you have to... Next offseason the Sox should start talking to keep Carlos' contract from turning into another Holliday situation.

jabrch
05-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Why add another $7-10M contract to the payroll before you have to...

To flatten out the cost curve and save 10-20mm on the back end by buying out a few years of FA...

Brian26
05-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Jenks has been a hell of a story, a great pitcher, and has given us World Series memories, but you're crazy to give him long-term big money at this point.

He's pitching with a screw in his arm. I think the Sox are fortunate that he's stayed healthy as long as he has (knock on wood).