PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Tony Reagins from K.W.'s Ghost Writer

Lillian
05-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Maybe Kenny Williams could approach Tony Reagins with something like this:

Dear Tony Reagins,

I hope all is well with you. Congratulations on your current position atop the Western Division. Iím very pleased to see that Jon has been able to contribute significantly to your winning record, and I sincerely hope that you will be able to resign him, if he remains in your long term plans.

We are impressed with Orlando Cabreraís skill set, and we are satisfied that we got fair value in our off season transaction. We look forward to exploring ways to mutually benefit our two organizations through further dealings. In that regard, we feel that due to both of our teamsí current circumstances, perhaps we might be able to help each other improve both of our chances for division titles.
We understand that Howie Kendrick will soon be off the disabled list and be ready to take over at second base for Chone Figgins. We also note that Erik Aybar has not been quite as productive as you had hoped.
As for us, we have been very pleased with the emergence of Alexi Ramirez, and would be interested to see how he would do as a full time short stop. We further understand that Orlando Cabrera has great respect for Mike Scoscia, and that he really loved playing for the Angels. We know that he was a key player on your team, and that he is missed by both the players, and the fans. Perhaps we could negotiate his return to the Angels. If you could send us Chone Figgins, who is also in his contract year, we could even consider paying a portion of the difference in their salaries. Such an acquisition would put the Angels infield among the elite, with Kendrick, the Gold Glove Cabrera, and Casey Kotchman. We understand that Reggie Willits has not had an opportunity to play much, and we know that he is a very capable lead off hitter. He could ably serve as your leadoff hitter, and of course, he is under contract for a few more years.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards

Kenny Williams

If Reagins balks at the idea, offer to pay the entire $4.25M difference in their salaries. If Reagins claims that Figgins is too valuable, and that they really need him at leadoff, then maybe Kenny could simply take Willits in a straight up exchange for Cabrera.
Put Ramirez at short, and Uribe at Second, unless Richar can take the job away from him.
Put Willits in Center, Swisher at First. Start platooning Thome and Konerko, until one of them starts hitting. Anything, just get O. C. out of here before he destroys the chemistry on this team.

pythons007
05-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Are you out of your mind? Why the hell would the Angels do that?:scratch:

Lillian
05-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Are you out of your mind? Why the hell would the Angels do that?:scratch:

If the Angels don't think that Cabrera is even worth Reggie Willits, which was my worst case scenario, then that would mean that we traded Garland for a player that isn't even as good as Willits.
That would suggest that it was Kenny who was out of his mind.
For my part, I'd just like to get a lead off guy, and get O. C. out of town.
What is your suggestion?

sox1970
05-29-2008, 12:32 PM
I'd rather keep Cabrera for the rest of the year. Maybe make the playoffs, and win the World Series. He can even skip the parade if he wants. :shrug:

Craig Grebeck
05-29-2008, 12:35 PM
I will say this one last time.

TYPE A COMPENSATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

voodoochile
05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
If the Angels don't think that Cabrera is even worth Reggie Willits, which was my worst case scenario, then that would mean that we traded Garland for a player that isn't even as good as Willits.
That would suggest that it was Kenny who was out of his mind.
For my part, I'd just like to get a lead off guy, and get O. C. out of town.
What is your suggestion?

Really? Might it also suggest he had faith in Floyd and Danks and didn't want to pay Garland so he took the best deal he could get - one that would pay off in high draft picks if nothing else and one which had/has the potential to solidify the middle infield and stabilize/improve top of the order hitting?

I know that because of the recent slams in the media, Cabrera is the latest whipping boy for the fan base, but there are myriad reasons to support the trade KW made at the time he made it and the possibility remains that OC will be a valuable piece of a pennant contender come late summer.

Lillian
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I have said it before, elsewhere, and I still agree with you in respect to the future draft picks. Yes, that would be fine. However, I'd still like to see them get him out of town, if he can bring us someone who can help.
I just don't like him, and didn't even before this latest episode.

kobo
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I understand that people are frustrated by what has come out lately about OC and his calling the press box, but he's been playing solid defense and his bat is warming up. I don't care if the guy is a complete douche or doesn't gel well with the team because I think chemistry is completely overrated. All I care about is that the guy performs on the field and does his job. So what if he's an *******?

Craig Grebeck
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
I have said it before, elsewhere, and I still agree with you in respect to the future draft picks. Yes, that would be fine. However, I'd still like to see them get him out of town, if he can bring us someone who can help.
I just don't like him, and didn't even before this latest episode.
I'd say the two draft picks + his hot bat will help us more than a fragile Chone Figgins and the idea to platoon Konerko/Thome.

munchman33
05-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I will say this one last time.

TYPE A COMPENSATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He'll have to hit his weight first...

voodoochile
05-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I understand that people are frustrated by what has come out lately about OC and his calling the press box, but he's been playing solid defense and his bat is warming up. I don't care if the guy is a complete douche or doesn't gel well with the team because I think chemistry is completely overrated. All I care about is that the guy performs on the field and does his job. So what if he's an *******?

Just win, they'll be falling all over each other to hug him and everyone else if they make the playoffs.

btrain929
05-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Figgins isn't there 2b right now.
Figgins isn't in his walk year.
It's Alexei, not Alexi.:rolleyes:

Lillian
05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
The thing that I have been most disappointed about him is his inability to move the runner over. Earlier in the season, when Swisher was getting on all of the time, and O.C. was batting second, he didn't sacrifice, nor did he didn't execute the hit and run. That is what he was brought here to do.
So now he's our lead off hitter. He doesn't seem to be very good at that either.
He has not demonstrated that he is that good of a player. I hope he gets it together. But I will be very happy to see him leave at the end of the year.

skottyj242
05-29-2008, 01:11 PM

:rolleyes:

JorgeFabregas
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
White Sox fan fiction? :scratch:

hi im skot
05-29-2008, 01:32 PM

It's "their."
:rolleyes:

fquaye149
05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
All the reasons why people initially hated the Garland Cabrera deal have proven to be unfounded

1.) "I hate this deal because the White Sox already have a SS they're paying $4.5 million"

--Uribe is not only injured but is also having yet another lousy year, proving the White Sox DID need a SS in 08

2.) "I hate this deal because Garland should have been used to get us a leadoff hitter" 3

--There is no evidence that a leadoff hitter was at all available--Pierre, Crisp, Figgins and Roberts remain on their original teams, despite "rumors" that they were available. Furthermoe, Cabrera is actually having his most success in the leadoff role

3.) "I hate this deal because Garland is a proven winner and not having him in the rotation will hurt this team's chance to win now if winning now is a priority for Kenny"

Garland's 08 line: 5-3, 71.7 IP, 19 K, 25 BB, 3.89 ERA, 1.423 WHIP
Floyd's 08 line: 5-3, 64.3 IP, 32 K, 27 BB, 3.22 ERA, 1.104 WHIP

The only thing that turned out to truly suck about this trade is that what we all unanimously agreed was "true"--that Cabrera would be an improvement at SS, both offensively and defensively, and a leader in the clubhouse--has turned out to be, at least at this point, untrue

VeeckAsInWreck
05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
White Sox fan fiction? :scratch:

Yes it is. I can do it too!

Dear Andy MacPhail,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. I couldn't help but notice that you are looking for a shortstop and during the offseason you were trying to trade Brian Roberts.

So what do you say? Brian Roberts for Orlando Cabrera?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Kenny Williams

General Manager Of The Chicago White Sox

P.S. Please don't laugh at my letter!

spiffie
05-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Dear Andy MacPhail,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. I couldn't help but notice that you are looking for a shortstop and during the offseason you were trying to trade Brian Roberts.

Sincerely,

Kenny Williams

This should be done 4th grade note style:

Andy,

Will you trade us Brian Roberts for Orlando Cabrera?

Check one! Yes___ No____ Maybe ____

Kenny

P.S. Please don't let that stupid doody-head Jimmy Hendry play with the Brian Roberts. He's a lamer.

Seriously, why does anyone think the Angels want to trade a guy who is getting on base at an insane clip and helping spark their offense?

jabrch
05-29-2008, 02:31 PM
OC has been playing well lately. I wouldn't want to give him up for Wilitis.

Lillian
05-29-2008, 03:16 PM

Dear Andy MacPhail,

Sincerely,

Kenny Williams

That's not a bad idea. The problem is that the Sox would probably have to include someone else, or money, wouldn't they?

kittle42
05-29-2008, 03:24 PM

It's also "their" and not "there." :tongue:

kittle42
05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
If Cabrera was hitting .280+ right now, no one would be bitching.

When he is doing that, people will stop, and the fickle will no longer care about this error-booth-calling, "bad clubhouse" bull****.

So, any predictions on who the next whipping boy will be after Cabrera? I'll say back to Thome.

Craig Grebeck
05-29-2008, 03:29 PM
That's not a bad idea. The problem is that the Sox would probably have to include someone else, or money, wouldn't they?
Teal?