PDA

View Full Version : DLS has Tommy John surgery

WizardsofOzzie
05-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Just a minor setback in his quest for the HOF

Link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/28/SPLD10URTP.DTL), near the bottom of the article

Stoky44
05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Just a minor setback in his quest for the HOF

Link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/28/SPLD10URTP.DTL), near the bottom of the article

Wow, I didn't see that coming. I hope everything works out for him, but Tommy John surgery is not something he can't over come. Many players come back strong, but many do not.

balke
05-29-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't wish that on anyone. Hopefully he comes back stronger.

But, I hope Munchman does see this I must say, cause I think he just posted in another thread he wishes the Sox still had DLS and Gio to trade for Howard.

WizardsofOzzie
05-29-2008, 08:54 AM
You gotta wonder how many pitchers KW can trade away, and watch them get hurt before people become wary of taking on our guys. I'm not saying KW knows they're hurt, but it's just crazy.

balke
05-29-2008, 08:58 AM
You gotta wonder how many pitchers KW can trade away, and watch them get hurt before people become wary of taking on our guys. I'm not saying KW knows they're hurt, but it's just crazy.

I don't think he deals them hurt, but I don't think he takes chances. Fireballers that might have a mechanical flaw but have great numbers might be something he's willing to part with. When you see a trend like that, you gotta think he's got a philosophy that's working.

FedEx227
05-29-2008, 09:11 AM
*Insert obligatory, sarcastic and annoying "This is just a bump on his path to the Hall of Fame" post*

oeo
05-29-2008, 09:14 AM

The Sox were being cautious with him last year. Oakland knew what they were getting into.

Still way too early, but this could end up being another steal by Kenny.

jabrch
05-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Too bad for the kid - the HOF career will have to wait.

kittle42
05-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Watching Swisher, I'd say this makes the trade just about even. :D:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Watching Swisher, I'd say this makes the trade just about even. :D:

Not yet. Don't you know that Ryan Sweeney is going to win the batting title this year!

UofCSoxFan
05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Yet ANOTHER reason why I'm more than willing to trade prospects for major league ready talent.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2008, 10:47 AM
major league ready talent

I'm not sure Swisher has earned that description yet. :(:

Jjav829
05-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Ouch. Obviously pitchers can come back from TJ and be just as good, but this is part of the reason why no Single-A pitcher is ever a sure thing.

munchman33
05-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

areilly
05-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Not yet. Don't you know that Ryan Sweeney is going to win the batting title this year!

I realize you're being sarcastic, but Sweeney's actually doing pretty well in Oakland this season. I would not be complaining if that trade had never happened. But I would also be in the minority.

WizardsofOzzie
05-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel :redneck

palehozenychicty
05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
I realize you're being sarcastic, but Sweeney's actually doing pretty well in Oakland this season. I would not be complaining if that trade had never happened. But I would also be in the minority.

Exactly. So far, he's been better than Swisher. He'll actually get a chance to prove that he can play.

FielderJones
05-29-2008, 11:37 PM
DLS had ligament replacement surgery (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/29/SPLD10URTP.DTL) this week (bottom of page). Wasn't he supposed to be in the Hall of Fame by now? Maybe Kenny didn't get robbed after all.

California Sox
05-29-2008, 11:52 PM
There's already a thread on this. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101732

Also leads off with HoF snark. Not sure I understand the joy at young people undergoing surgery, but it sure is popular.

FielderJones
05-30-2008, 10:09 AM
There's already a thread on this. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101732

Also leads off with HoF snark. Not sure I understand the joy at young people undergoing surgery, but it sure is popular.

Absolutely no joy about young people undergoing surgery. Snark directed solely at armchair GMs who think they can evaluate players better than real GMs.

I don't know how my search missed that, other than he used Tommy John in place of ligament.

SSrep
05-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Major League ready talent.....I'm not sure Swisher has earned that description yet. :(:

I'll assume you're kidding

MisterB
05-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Wow. You may have just broken Bafia's record for exclamation marks in a post!

oeo
05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I'll assume you're kidding

I'm sure he's not.

At WSI, if someone is struggling, they either a)suck or b)are washed up. Don't you know that Konerko is declining everyday, and Thome's career is finished? Swisher probably belongs in Charlotte.

OTOH, there's guys like Joe Crede and Brian Anderson (these guys are like Rowand, Aaron) who people will defend to the death, and sometimes for no apparent reason. :scratch:

Hitmenof77
06-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Why don't people say that about the GREAT Billy Beane? Mulder been hurt after he was traded. Hudson has been hurt but has pitched well. And clearly something is wrong with Zito.

HMMMMMMMMMM

Optipessimism
06-03-2008, 05:08 PM

Agreed. The HOF joke was old two months ago. Let it go. It's not funny.

Jerome
06-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I'd sooner give DLS a spot in our lineup right now than Swisher. :tongue:

Frontman
06-03-2008, 06:40 PM
I'd sooner give DLS a spot in our lineup right now than Swisher. :tongue:

All I ask is can he lay down a bunt?

fquaye149
06-03-2008, 07:20 PM

It's more like amusement at a certain poster claiming the Swisher trade was a disaster because we lost DLS, a player who BA projected as a 3rd starter in 2010

SoxxoS
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Is it possible KW knows more than a few WSI posters?

munchman33
06-03-2008, 11:13 PM
It's more like amusement at a certain poster claiming the Swisher trade was a disaster because we lost DLS, a player who BA projected as a 3rd starter in 2010

And an all-star eventually.

He had quite an electric arm. It's such a shame. If he comes back just as strong, he could still have quite a great career.

Even with Tommy John surgery, DLS has more value than Swisher right now. Simply because of the millions of dollars we still owe Swisher.

oeo
06-03-2008, 11:16 PM

He had quite an electric arm. It's such a shame. If he comes back just as strong, he could still have quite a great career.

DLS isn't the only pitcher with a good arm that got hurt and never amounted to anything. That's not to say he's never going to amount to anything, but this sets him back a good two years, at least. After that, who knows what his arm is like. It could come back, it could not.

Just a glaring example of why you don't call a A pitcher a future HOF'er.

Even with Tommy John surgery, DLS has more value than Swisher right now. Simply because of the millions of dollars we still owe Swisher.Hmm...okay. It's very questionable whether DLS will even sniff the majors now. Swisher isn't going to hit .200 for five years.

munchman33
06-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Hmm...okay. It's very questionable whether DLS will even sniff the majors now. Swisher isn't going to hit .200 for five years.

Well, that's your opinion on Swisher. I'm not so certain. I viewed him as a decent everyday player before he came. But watching him everyday on the Sox...with his plate approach and that huge hole in his swing...well, I think we'll be lucky if he sticks as a marginal role player/platoon guy.

Craig Grebeck
06-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, that's your opinion on Swisher. I'm not so certain. I viewed him as a decent everyday player before he came. But watching him everyday on the Sox...with his plate approach and that huge hole in his swing...well, I think we'll be lucky if he sticks as a marginal role player/platoon guy.
Forget every year prior to this one.

doublem23
06-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Forget every year prior to this one.

Obviously, those wouldn't back up his argument.

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 03:35 AM

Even with Tommy John surgery, DLS has more value than Swisher right now. Simply because of the millions of dollars we still owe Swisher.

what, you mean like 6 years down the line IF he were to stay healthy and develop perfectly? ho-hum

SoxxoS
06-04-2008, 07:01 AM

Are you high?

Mohoney
06-04-2008, 08:06 AM
:threadsucks

For all those bashing Swisher, AND for all those saying DLS is done.

All the snide comments about "Maybe Kenny hoodwinked them after all" and all the snide comments about "DLS could probably hit better than Swisher right now" are all monumentally stupid.

The trade has been made, get over it. Root for Swisher to get back to posting OBP and power numbers closer to his career norms. In the same breath, stop reveling in failures by DLS, Gio, or Sweeney, because there was once a time where everybody here that is now knocking these guys loved them.

munchman33
06-04-2008, 08:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5937

spawn
06-04-2008, 08:10 AM
What are DLS' MLB stats?

doublem23
06-04-2008, 08:38 AM

I can't believe he's still owned in 30% of fantasy baseball leagues. :o:

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 09:14 AM

That proves it!

Wait...what was "it"?

balke
06-04-2008, 10:41 AM

Again, as a Minor leaguer developing, how much would the Sox benefit from having him?

By the time he's ML ready, he's near free agency. If you're lucky you wait 3-5 years just to see if the guy is worth signing to your roster. In that time, things like this happen. Surgery, bike accidents, non-developement, back injuries, etc.

fquaye149
06-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Again, as a Minor leaguer developing, how much would the Sox benefit from having him?

By the time he's ML ready, he's near free agency. If you're lucky you wait 3-5 years just to see if the guy is worth signing to your roster. In that time, things like this happen. Surgery, bike accidents, non-developement, back injuries, etc.

In six years he might possibly be an all-star, if he doesn't get hurt and develops properly.

Now, I'm all for having a deep system, but I'm not going to **** my pants over losing a guy who in 3 years is projected to be a ****ing third starter (and probably even lower in a rotation with Vazquez, Danks, Floyd, and Burly) and who could conceivably be a great pitcher six years from now if everything goes right (which it rarely does).

Frontman
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I can't believe he's still owned in 30% of fantasy baseball leagues. :o:

Take a look around, how many great 1st basemen are there out there hitting well? I can think of at least one who stinks...........