PDA

View Full Version : Division Leaders

october23sp
05-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Right now everyone is hyped that the white sox are leading the division. I am one of those people also but i was just thinking that the Indians and Tigers will definently surge at one point. I said it at the beginning and I still say it the Tigers will be a main contender. If they get anyone healthy or on a hot streak they are dangerous. Look at the Indians in 05. They weren't even close to being a real contender at this point in the season. Next thing you know the Sox are only 1 1/2 games up on them.

I hope the Sox can continue what they have done but i still am weary of the Indians and Tigers. Honestly I think the Twins will die any day now. Maybe I am wrong but it seems like they are playing the Royals everyday.

Also I must say something about Carlos Quentin. I had never really heard of him until the White Sox acquired him and i was actually disappointed because i believed that Scott Podsednik left him some big shoes to fill. He has gone over and above filling those shoes.

I have not been on these boards so I must say something about Aaron Rowand being plunked twice by Sox pitchers during the series against the Giants. I thought it was weird but not as weird about how the Sox made NO attempt to get him when he was floating around this offseason. He is such a likable guy and goes 100% everyday.

Zisk77
05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Aaron got hit by a curve that didn't break and then by a pitch that got nothing but jersey. It was afluke and obviously not some sort of message.

kittle42
05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I have not been on these boards so I must say something about Aaron Rowand being plunked twice by Sox pitchers during the series against the Giants. I thought it was weird but not as weird about how the Sox made NO attempt to get him when he was floating around this offseason. He is such a likable guy and goes 100% everyday.

First, welcome!

Second, the above topic was beaten to death here in one form or another for 2+ years to the point where you would have expected Rowand's number to have been retired by all three teams he's been on.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-29-2008, 10:45 AM
:welcome:

Allow me to respond to some of your points. Just because the Indians bounced back in '05 it doesn't mean that history will repeat itself with the Tigers now. The '08 Tigers don't compare at all to the '05 Tribe. The Tigers have an inconsistent offense that is either too old or injured (Gary Sheffield who is a little of column A & B) on top of that the Tigers pitching has not been great. The starters have their moments but their bullpen is non existent. They sorely miss Zumaya and Rodney and until they get those two back at 100% then I'm not worried.

Honestly I would prefer that a team stays in it with the Sox because it will give them that edge. I honestly believe that the 2005 White Sox benefited greatly from the Indians run towards the end because it woke them up. For example the 1983 Sox blew away the division and then came up short in the playoffs. If you get too comfortable you lose your edge.

As far as Carlos Quentin. I don't think he's replaced Scott Podsednik. As a matter of fact no one has until we have a speedy lead off hitter. I had heard of Carlos Quentin before he came here and was very pleased to see what he could do with us and so far it has all been great. But to say that he has filled Scott Podsednik's shoes is a bit too much.

And finally, the often brought up Aaron Rowand. The Sox did make an attempt to get him back but the Giants offered more money and years than the Sox were willing to give. So in that sense it was just a matter of being outbid. :dunno: He's a great guy but we have to move on. No matter how much we say we love him and miss him, he ain't coming back.

Again welcome to WSI.

skottyj242
05-29-2008, 10:45 AM

You're actually the first person to bring up Aaron Rowand here. He was available this past offseason? I didn't even know. :dtroll:

spiffie
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
First, welcome!

Second, the above topic was beaten to death here in one form or another for 2+ years to the point where you would have expected Rowand's number to have been retired by all three teams he's been on.
You leave out the opposite side where people act like it is some form of institutional charity that a barely functional mongoloid like Rowand is allowed to dress up with real baseball players. Judging by some people's reaction to Rowand you would assume his career line is something like 110/120/115.

hi im skot
05-29-2008, 11:02 AM
As far as Carlos Quentin. I don't think he's replaced Scott Podsednik. As a matter of fact no one has until we have a speedy lead off hitter. I had heard of Carlos Quentin before he came here and was very pleased to see what he could do with us and so far it has all been great. But to say that he has filled Scott Podsednik's shoes is a bit too much.

I understand what you're saying here---Quentin doesn't replace Podsednik's speed on the basepaths. You're right, but I'll take a pure hitter like Quentin over Podsednik any day.

Quentin is such a huge upgrade over Podsednik it's not even funny.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
I understand what you're saying here---Quentin doesn't replace Podsednik's speed on the basepaths. You're right, but I'll take a pure hitter like Quentin over Podsednik any day.

Quentin is such a huge upgrade over Podsednik it's not even funny.

Yeah no doubt about it is TCQ an upgrade over Pods in LF. Quentin has a much stronger arm than Podsednik and his skills with the bat cannot be matched.

The only thing we are missing from Pods is a true stolen base threat and that's what we don't have. We need a guy who can get on base and be in the back of a pitchers mind. That's what Podsednik used to do so well.

spawn
05-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Pods has little feet. He definitely didn't leave any big shoes to fill.

kitekrazy
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
:welcome:

Allow me to respond to some of your points. Just because the Indians bounced back in '05 it doesn't mean that history will repeat itself with the Tigers now.

There was no way they would have continued that streak in the post season.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-29-2008, 11:42 AM
There was no way they would have continued that streak in the post season.

You mean the '05 Indians? If so, then you're right. They heated up and made a run but by then the Sox were so hot that they just shut them down that final weekend. Man were those games fun to watch. :gulp:

balke
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I would be on the Tigers or Indians train if it weren't for a few facts.

The most important, the Tigers pitching and injuries. Verlander will get better, beyond that the bullpen is toast and the pitching is horrible. Unless they trade for Harden or someone, I can't see them being serious contenders all season.

The Indians big problem is that bullpen and Hafner. Hafner is not healthy. Something is seriously wrong with him. If he comes back, maybe they can catch up. I won't lose sleep over wondering though. I think right now the Sox have the lead, and the means to hold on to it. Great pitching from starters and bullpen. A lot of hitters who don't seem to have serious injuries of any kind slumping. I think either June or July there's going to be a flood of HRs coming from the Sox.

UofCSoxFan
05-29-2008, 11:50 AM
I know you're new here so I really don't want to nit pick, but the title of this thread (division leaders) has nothing to do with the 3 topics you lay out: how the Sox could potentially lose their division lead, Scott Podsednik, and Aaron Rowand.

Just some unsolicited advice: you will get much better discussion and responses if you narrow the focus of your threads and provide more clear titles as to their content.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah no doubt about it is TCQ an upgrade over Pods in LF. Quentin has a much stronger arm than Podsednik and his skills with the bat cannot be matched.

The only thing we are missing from Pods is a true stolen base threat and that's what we don't have. We need a guy who can get on base and be in the back of a pitchers mind. That's what Podsednik used to do so well.

I agree that Quentin is more valuable overall than Podsednik, but a guy like Pods is nevertheless a very valuable commodity. He was not only a good base stealer in '05, but also a very good lead off hitter. He took a lot of pitches and drew walks. Once he was on base, he could score without a hit. This type of player gives a team the versatility to win when the homers aren't coming.

hi im skot
05-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm afraid Podsednik's best days are behind him. We gave him multiple opportunities to show that he could match his first half of 2005 output, and he never did.

I'd love to have a speedy guy at the top of the lineup, but given the choice between a light-hitting leadoff man with a noodle arm and Carlos Quentin, it's a pretty easy decision.

whitesox901
05-29-2008, 03:07 PM
The most important, the Tigers pitching and injuries. Verlander will get better, beyond that the bullpen is toast and the pitching is horrible. Unless they trade for Harden or someone, I can't see them being serious contenders all season.

The Indians big problem is that bullpen and Hafner. Hafner is not healthy. Something is seriously wrong with him. If he comes back, maybe they can catch up. I won't lose sleep over wondering though. I think right now the Sox have the lead, and the means to hold on to it. Great pitching from starters and bullpen. A lot of hitters who don't seem to have serious injuries of any kind slumping. I think either June or July there's going to be a flood of HRs coming from the Sox.

Could not of said it any better myself my friend :tongue:

My dad the Cubs Fan is still going on about, "Dont right off detriot, dont forget get about cleveland in 2005, ect." I almost think he says that to piss me off. Granted its early, I cant see them hitting on a consistant basis.

october23sp
05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I know you're new here so I really don't want to nit pick, but the title of this thread (division leaders) has nothing to do with the 3 topics you lay out: how the Sox could potentially lose their division lead, Scott Podsednik, and Aaron Rowand.

Just some unsolicited advice: you will get much better discussion and responses if you narrow the focus of your threads and provide more clear titles as to their content.

Yeah i meant to write about something completly different but once i got typing i kept on saying new things. And about all the quentin filling podsedniks shoes, i didnt mean about his speed on the paths. I just meant a great presence to the ballclub that is a big reason they win games.

thomas35forever
05-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm afraid Podsednik's best days are behind him. We gave him multiple opportunities to show that he could match his first half of 2005 output, and he never did.

I'd love to have a speedy guy at the top of the lineup, but given the choice between a light-hitting leadoff man with a noodle arm and Carlos Quentin, it's a pretty easy decision.
SportsCenter (or was it Baseball Tonight) made a bold prediction and said Pods would swipe forty bags this year. If he played 134 games this year, he'd be on pace to only get about half that.

In response to the OP, welcome to WSI and as much as I'd like to, I can't count out the Indians or Tigers either. I'm aware of their injuries and pitching problems, but as we all saw with Colorado last year, any team can get hot at the right time. They have to get healthy first. The Sox and Twins are up there because their key guys have stayed healthy. We have two-thirds of the season to go, so you never know what'll happen.

TDog
05-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Could not of said it any better myself my friend :tongue:

My dad the Cubs Fan is still going on about, "Dont right off detriot, dont forget get about cleveland in 2005, ect." I almost think he says that to piss me off. Granted its early, I cant see them hitting on a consistant basis.

Your father is a Cubs fan and worried about Detroit and Cleveland because the franchises have done certain things in the past? Do memories of the Cubs in 2004, 2003, 1984, 1969 and such not keep him awake at night?

whitesox901
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Your father is a Cubs fan and worried about Detroit and Cleveland because the franchises have done certain things in the past? Do memories of the Cubs in 2004, 2003, 1984, 1969 and such not keep him awake at night?

I recon not, I bet if i asked him about them, he'd draw a blank, hes being too obnoxiously excited about this season. everytime a cub homers, scores or wins he runs into my room and announces it like im a drunk in the wrigly bleachers. Granted, I act happy because its my father and its his team, but damn is it getting annoying, and I dont know how long i can keep up the shirade.