PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to Florida?

Frankfan4life
05-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Who's going to Tropicana Field? I'm already in St. Petersburg visiting my mother and sister. I'm going to all four games.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Who's going to Tropicana Field? I'm already in St. Petersburg visiting my mother and sister. I'm going to all four games.

I won't but please do represent us out there well and bring us 3 or 4 wins if you can.

Frankfan4life
05-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I won't but please do represent us out there well and bring us 3 or 4 wins if you can.I'll do my best but so far I haven't seen the Sox win in person this year. Hopefully, the Rays are starting to come back down to earth.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I'll do my best but so far I haven't seen the Sox win in person this year. Hopefully, the Rays are starting to come back down to earth.

Sounds like you're due then. It's time you witness some Sox victories and this weekend would be ideal!

Frankfan4life
05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Sounds like you're due then. It's time you witness some Sox victories and this weekend would be ideal!I hear you but it would be nice to have some fellow Sox fans along for the ride.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
05-28-2008, 08:11 PM
bring the warm and sunny weather back with you guys if you go

LITTLE NELL
05-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Driving up from Bonita Springs for Sat. game. The Rays are scary this year and I'd like to see them win the East but not at our expense.

A.T. Money
05-28-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm in Orlando through Sat. I'm thinking of coming out for the game......

ChiSoxGirl
05-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I hear you but it would be nice to have some fellow Sox fans along for the ride.

Fear not, you won't be alone. If it's anything like it was last year when the Sox were down there, you'll be in good company. When I was there last June, it was like Comiskey Park South- a ton of Sox fans were in attendance and definitely made their presence known. If school still wouldn't be in session, I'd be down there cheering with you, but alas, school ends June 10. :rolleyes:

SOXfnNlansing
05-29-2008, 03:08 AM
leaving Friday morning at 6am. Hope to see alot of fans down there!

chaotic8512
05-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Ah, finally. I've been waiting for this series all year.

Couldn't make the first one in Tampa because of school, so this is my lone series of the year (unless somehow, miraculously, I can make it to Chicago). I'll be at the final 3 games, somewhere in the outfield, fully dressed in White Sox attire.

Been a fan 14 years, and this will only be my 3rd game EVER. So yeah, Tropicana Field or not, I'm really excited.

Hope to see some of you there! :bandance:

russ99
05-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Hopefully you guys can fill up the rest of the dome with Sox fans. :D:

But seriously, attendances of 10,000 - 15,000 for a team with the best record in baseball is really a shame. Has ownership really messed up the fan base that badly?

Bump34
05-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Boy do I feel like I am doing a post game show from 2000... when the White Sox won the division in 2000 they were coming off two seasons of less the 1.4 million in attendance...

The Rays are coming off two seasons of just under 1.4 million in attendance in each of the last two seasons...

I looked up an attendance figure for a White Sox - Cleveland game on a Friday night in late May... 18,000... the next night a Saturday... 30,100... a team that was the defending division champs...and the team you needed to beat to win the division...

Last weekend for the Rays... 14,000 for the Orioles... and 30,500 for Saturday's games..

If I remember correctly... the crowds didn't start showing up until June... when school got out... and they even went down a bit in September when the kids went back to school... even though the White Sox were going to win the division...

They ended up with about 1.95 million in attendance... If the Rays stay in the race all season... I see similar numbers coming together for us... We are expecting a sellout for Saturday... big crowds for the Cubs :angry::angry::angry:... and of course whenever the Yanks and Red Sox come to town...

There is a buzz in this area that has never been here and also all the talk about why people aren't coming out just like 2000 on the Southside of Chicago...

I look forward to seeing some of you this weekend...

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Been here since yesterday at the Grand Plaza Hotel, weather is awesome and I am excited about the game tonight (sitting row 7 behind Sox dugout).

Might hit a well known Columbian Restaurant before game time in honor of the malcontent Orlando Cabrera. Hey, as long as he keeps hitting who cares right?

jabrch
05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Boy do I feel like I am doing a post game show from 2000... when the White Sox won the division in 2000 they were coming off two seasons of less the 1.4 million in attendance...

The Rays are coming off two seasons of just under 1.4 million in attendance in each of the last two seasons...

I looked up an attendance figure for a White Sox - Cleveland game on a Friday night in late May... 18,000... the next night a Saturday... 30,100... a team that was the defending division champs...and the team you needed to beat to win the division...

Last weekend for the Rays... 14,000 for the Orioles... and 30,500 for Saturday's games..

If I remember correctly... the crowds didn't start showing up until June... when school got out... and they even went down a bit in September when the kids went back to school... even though the White Sox were going to win the division...

They ended up with about 1.95 million in attendance... If the Rays stay in the race all season... I see similar numbers coming together for us... We are expecting a sellout for Saturday... big crowds for the Cubs :angry::angry::angry:... and of course whenever the Yanks and Red Sox come to town...

There is a buzz in this area that has never been here and also all the talk about why people aren't coming out just like 2000 on the Southside of Chicago...

You are in the right place (sort of) at the right time!!!! Congrats Dave to you and the Rays. I'd love to run into your squad in the playoffs.

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2008, 02:52 PM

did not know this was you Mr Dave Wills..... by the way here a die hard Sox fan one day hoping you come back home and replace our TV play by play guy.

tlebar318
05-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Dave,
you really think Saturday is a sellout? I don't have tickets yet and was coming over from Orlando again.....I hope there is at least a couple of tickets left! :o:
Tony

doublem23
05-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Dave,
you really think Saturday is a sellout? I don't have tickets yet and was coming over from Orlando again.....I hope there is at least a couple of tickets left! :o:
Tony

I think you'll be OK. Granted, I'm not terribly familiar with Tropicana Field, but I just ran a Ticketmaster request for 2 seats to Saturday's game and returned with 2 available in Section 127 (Lower Box) in Row R (wherever the hell that is).

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/905/10m/origin.media.ticketmaster.com/en-us/tmimages/venue/maps/flo/21036s.gif

tlebar318
05-29-2008, 03:25 PM
I think you'll be OK. Granted, I'm not terribly familiar with Tropicana Field, but I just ran a Ticketmaster request for 2 seats to Saturday's game and returned with 2 available in Section 127 (Lower Box) in Row R (wherever the hell that is).

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/905/10m/origin.media.ticketmaster.com/en-us/tmimages/venue/maps/flo/21036s.gif
That's actually where I sat the last series...Had a good view of the pitchers warming up and CQ playing left...Thanks for the info.

FoulTerritory
05-29-2008, 04:21 PM

I was actually thinking of this comparison earlier today. Peter Gammons was on the radio talking about how the Rays will never draw well unless they move to Tampa proper, as St. Pete is so hard to get to for most of the T.B. area. I don't buy that.

In reality though, the affect success has on attendance tends to be delayed. People usually purchase tickets in advance so they can make proper plans etc. Aside from an increase in walk-ups, the Rays current success is more likely to stimulate attendance later this season, and especially NEXT season as people will then be more prone to buy Rays tickets right from the start.

And btw, I'll be at 2 games this weekend. Giddiup.

ChiSoxGirl
05-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Been here since yesterday at the Grand Plaza Hotel, weather is awesome and I am excited about the game tonight (sitting row 7 behind Sox dugout).

Best. Hotel. Ever. Am I right?! :cool: I stayed there last June when I went down for the series and fell in love with it. It's not only beautiful, but a hell of a bargain!

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Best. Hotel. Ever. Am I right?! :cool: I stayed there last June when I went down for the series and fell in love with it. It's not only beautiful, but a hell of a bargain!

Actually I think I booked because of you (I ran it past you last series), thanks again. It's a Gulf side beach front property and has everything I need. My company (for some reason) had a corporate account here so made things even better ($$$) and easier.

The park believe it or not is much better than they give it credit for. Great concessions IMO (I think I'm tired of the same stuff at the Cell). Playing surface and lights looked fine and every seat looks like a good seat. It's not your typical dome like the crap in Minn. This city needs a dome, or any team in Fl. The weather was great but scorching at 93 with the Sun. No way I would sit outdoors with that. Locals were telling me that come July and August weather gets worse with the humidity factor.

Sox win makes things all that better.