PDA

View Full Version : MLB Veterans Looking for Work

RKMeibalane
05-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3415233&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1)

:hitless

"I am the greatest shortstop of all time."

VeeckAsInWreck
05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm sorry but that's what guys like Kenny Lofton and Sammy Sosa deserve. They want superstar money when those years have long passed them.

Good luck to them. If Freddy Garcia proves to be healthy he'll get some offers.

ondafarm
05-28-2008, 03:52 PM
It comes down to how badly they want the work. There are several teams in Japan who'd love to add a past-his-prime star player to make a run this year or next.

Cuck the Fubs
05-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Kenny Lofton can lead off and play CF....sign him NOW Kenny! :redneck

Fenway
05-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Trot Nixon is stuck in AAA for the DBacks

Surprised nobody wants him

RKMeibalane
05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Trot Nixon is stuck in AAA for the DBacks

Surprised nobody wants him

On an unrelated note, didn't his father beat up a woman a few years ago?

Madvora
05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
I saw that about Sosa "retiring" after the 2009 WBC on the ESPN scroll today.
Did he even play in the last one? Is he assured to play in this one?

I hope Hawk doesn't read this article. He gushes over Reggie Sanders almost as much as he does Mark Grudzielanek.

Another interesting piece in that article says that if Sosa doesn't play he will be in the same hall of fame voting class as Bonds and Clemens. My God! That's going to be interesting.

RKMeibalane
05-28-2008, 05:46 PM

I hope Hawk doesn't read this article. He gushes over Reggie Sanders almost as much as he does Mark Grudzielanek.

Another interesting piece in that article says that if Sosa doesn't play he will be in the same hall of fame voting class as Bonds and Clemens. My God! That's going to be interesting.

Why exactly is Hawk so obsessed with mediocre players? If it's not Reggie Sanders, it's Joe Randa. If it's not Brian Daubach, it's Danny Pasqua. Why? Oh, why?

pierzynski07
05-28-2008, 06:03 PM

Well, I'm sure he'll try out at least. I think that's what he did on 06, but he didn't make the team. I think a few other veterans did the same thing too (train for the WBC, then call it a career).

RKMeibalane
05-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Speaking of washed-up players, Brett Boone announced his retirement earlier today. This is another guy whom I always suspected of using PEDs.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3415391)

Woofer
05-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Crap!

Holy Crap! Royce Clayton has over 1900 hits? I wouldn't have thought that in a million years!

fquaye149
05-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3415233&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1)

:hitless

"I am the greatest shortstop of all time."

We already have Royce version 2.0!

jortafan
05-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, I'm sure he'll try out at least. I think that's what he did on 06, but he didn't make the team. I think a few other veterans did the same thing too (train for the WBC, then call it a career).

Sosa did not try out for team Dominican Republic in '06. He was convinced so many teams would swarm for his services in the U.S. major leagues, and didn't want to put in the time to train for the World Baseball Classic.

Whether or not he could make the national team in '09 is questionable. It could happen. He is popular enough in his homeland that many fans there would like for him to have a spot on the roster -- similar to how Roger Clemens was an aging veteran on the U.S. team in '06, even though technically speaking he was no longer a top quality pitcher (remember how long he lasted in the '05 World Series?)

Personally, I think Sammy ought to go the route of Fernando Valenzuela -- who was in uniform for team Mexico as a coach in the '06 tournament. But then again, the ballplayer himself is usually the last to realize when his playing career is over.

asindc
05-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm sorry but that's what guys like Kenny Lofton and Sammy Sosa deserve. They want superstar money when those years have long passed them.

Good luck to them. If Freddy Garcia proves to be healthy he'll get some offers.

If Freddy Garcia is healthy, I wouldn't mind if KW makes some inquiries. I wouldn't pay too much of course, which means that the Sox would be a long shot, but it would be worth a conversation IMO.

I don't understand why Lofton and Sosa are asking for primetime money. I think that both can be productive still, but they have to realize that any team can get the kind of production they offer at this point for much less money.

ode to veeck
05-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Even though the Sox currently have plenty of outfielders, they still lack a bona fide leadoff man. Too bad Lofton is looking for extravagant compensation as he'd be great as a bench player able to lead off, PH etc.

RKMeibalane
05-30-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't understand why Lofton and Sosa are asking for primetime money. I think that both can be productive still, but they have to realize that any team can get the kind of production they offer at this point for much less money.

The problem is that both of them believe that they are still capable of duplicating their production of ten years ago, and should therefore be paid as they were at that time.

I don't blame either of them for wanting to play, but since neither man seems able to get over himself, I have no problem whatsoever with them rotting in baseball oblivion.

Gavin
05-31-2008, 07:04 PM
The problem is that both of them believe that they are still capable of duplicating their production of ten years ago, and should therefore be paid as they were at that time.

I don't blame either of them for wanting to play, but since neither man seems able to get over himself, I have no problem whatsoever with them rotting in baseball oblivion.

I highly doubt Sammy Sosa and Kenny Lofton are asking for the same amount of money they asked for in 1998, especially when you consider, say, inflation.

RKMeibalane
05-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I highly doubt Sammy Sosa and Kenny Lofton are asking for the same amount of money they asked for in 1998, especially when you consider, say, inflation.

I didn't mean that they were asking for the exact amounts they were paid ten seasons ago. I meant that they expect to paid like superstars, when neither has played at that level in several years.

Good gawd.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Crap!

Holy Crap! Royce Clayton has over 1900 hits? I wouldn't have thought that in a million years!

And don't forget his fantastic defense.

Mohoney
06-04-2008, 07:58 AM

I would love to see him show up on the 1st day of training camp for the Dominican team with all his luggage, announce his grand arrival, and have somebody there tell him to shove it and take his punk ass home.

Imagine a man with that size ego being told to kiss off. That would be great.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-04-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm a bit surprised Lofton didn't sign for a lot less money to get on a roster. If he could string together three more seasons similiar to 2007, he could sniff the Hall. Of course it will be with three different teams.

southside rocks
06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
The speculation in the article that David Wells might manage some day made me laugh out loud. Let's hope!

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-05-2008, 07:22 PM
The speculation in the article that David Wells might manage some day made me laugh out loud. Let's hope!

How much time would he spend teaching his pitchers how to field bunts?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
How much time would he spend teaching his pitchers how to field bunts?

He could tell pitchers what to do to avoid getting the gout.