PDA

View Full Version : June Schedule & Getting Excited about the Sox

nysox35
05-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I am really starting to believe in this team. At the beginning of the season, I, like many, had an 85 win, 3rd place season in mind. I didn't expect Cleveland and Detroit to stink like this, nor did I expect our strong starting pitching across the board.

I was just looking at our upcoming schedule, and I know that anything can happen, but I'm starting to think that we can continue to play at around the clip we've been playing at and go in the break in first place. That would allow Kenny to do any necessary tweaking that we need come July.

I'm sure others have said it, but the team is starting to remind me of the '05 squad with its strong starting pitching and lights out pen, combined with timely hitting.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Go Sox!:smile:

(4 @ TB, 3 vs. KC, 4 vs. MN, 3 @ Det, 3 vs. Col, 3 vs. Pit, 3 @ Cubs, 3 @ LAD, 3 vs. Cubs)

WhiteSox5187
05-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm not 100% sold on them yet, however if we're at this spot at the end of June I think we're in GREAT shape and taking three out of four from Tampa would really show me a lot.

Looking at the schedule in June, there are a lot of home dates which is always good and playing a couple of easy teams (KC, Pittsburgh, Rockies and a struggling Detroit) but we also play the Cubs twice, the Dodgers and a big series against Minnesota early on.

skottyj242
05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
My bank account is not looking forward to June.

nysox35
05-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm not 100% sold on them yet, however if we're at this spot at the end of June I think we're in GREAT shape and taking three out of four from Tampa would really show me a lot.

Looking at the schedule in June, there are a lot of home dates which is always good and playing a couple of easy teams (KC, Pittsburgh, Rockies and a struggling Detroit) but we also play the Cubs twice, the Dodgers and a big series against Minnesota early on.

Great points...I think this will be a key month. If we can handle our business, we'll be in great shape.
I'm glad we're finally getting lots of home games, that should help some.

sox1970
05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
42 games until the break. 24-18 would be just fine.

hawkjt
05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
We have a ton of games in Chicago over the next 5 weeks after this week. The Sox have to make big hay during that period because our July-Sept schedule is brutal. They need a real cushion before the break to have a shot ,imo. I just think overall, this is one of the worst travel schedules ever with two trips to the west coast for 3 game series only. That blows.
They play the Angels a bunch this year..not good.
They play the Cubs six times as usual and the cubs are imo, the best in the NL... Indians get the Reds instead..can we trade?
If the Sox win the division this year...they will have really earned it.

soxpride724
05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
I was actually looking over the schedule last night and was thinking that June could be a very winnable month. There should be no reason this team is under .500 for the month of June.

DSpivack
05-28-2008, 03:01 PM

This weekend's series in Tampa could be tough, too.

skottyj242
05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
We have a ton of games in Chicago over the next 5 weeks after this week. The Sox have to make big hay during that period because our July-Sept schedule is brutal. They need a real cushion before the break to have a shot ,imo. I just think overall, this is one of the worst travel schedules ever with two trips to the west coast for 3 game series only. That blows.
They play the Cubs six times as usual and the cubs are imo, the best in the NL... Indians get the Reds instead..can we trade?

The Reds swept them a couple of weeks ago?

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-28-2008, 04:02 PM

I will focus on June when the Sox take the series from the Rays this weekend. Until then, focus on tomorrow's game.

Soxman219
05-28-2008, 04:08 PM

I remember saying in the beginning of May if the Sox could finish above .500 in May where we only had nine home games they would be in good shape. They did that and took 1st place. Now we have a lot of home games left where we have been playing well. If they can take advantage of their home-field they will win the division.

Madvora
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Hey they're in first place right now and nobody is running us down. If anything, we slowing growing our lead. There's no reason to think this isn't going to continue.

I'm very interested to see some of the minor fixes KW has in mind for the team once some of the lower teams throw in the towel.

SoxGirl4Life
05-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I will focus on June when the Sox take the series from the Rays this weekend. Until then, focus on tomorrow's game.

I'll be happy with a split and a 4-3 road trip.

ShoelessJoeS
05-28-2008, 04:41 PM
My bank account is not looking forward to June.I second that motion.

WhiteSox5187
05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Yep, it will. But that's in May!! :cool:

gamblinkenny
05-28-2008, 05:09 PM
i wouldn't drink the cool-aid just yet. I won't until someone not named Carlos Quentin can consistently make an impact on offense. Alexei looks better and better at the plate everyday.

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm pleased that we're halfway done with the Indians for the year, and only have one more series in Cleveland (9/1 - 9/3). This means the Indians have limited opportunities to make up ground directly against the Sox. But even more in our favor is that our last three games of the year are at home against the Indians. Meanwhile, we missed the Royals when they were hot and still have all our 18 games with KC remaining. Of course no game or opponent is a "gimme," and the Royals take pride in playing the Sox tough, but still we should expect the Sox to win 12 of those 18 games.

Of course, any home series against any opponent for the rest of the year is winnable, and the Sox have owned Detroit and at least been competitive with Minnesota (well, at least some of the time). So, we're left to look at our remaining non-division road series:
Tampa Bay (tough, but a split is reasonable)
Cubs (not a road trip, who knows what could happen)
LA Dodgers (2 out of 3 is reasonable)
Texas (ought to take 2 out of 3)
Oakland (always tough to play there)
Baltimore (the key to success is to build big leads to rest Jenks)
Boston (will be very tough)
Yankees (will be very tough)

Of these, all things being equal, the only road series that truly "scare" me are those scheduled for Oakland, Boston and New York.

Obviously you have to win the games, but I think things are opening up well for the Sox.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-28-2008, 06:28 PM
I like their July schedule just as much or more. You have Texas six times and KC six times. And they play at Detroit, where they've always played well. A lot of their other games in July are in their division, against Cleveland and Minnesota, so that should be the critical month.

In June, they have to play the Cubs six times and at the Dodgers three times.

soxfan21
05-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I think that June will be a huge month for us. It would be great if we come out of June with a first place lead of 5 or more games, but as long as we come out of June in first I would be happy. Glad to see a lot of home games in June, the Cell is going to be a fun place to be for the next month :bandance:.

jenn2080
05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
I will be much more excited when Paulie, Thome and Swisher start hitting the damn ball.

chisoxfanatic
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I think that June could be a possible month for us to "distance" ourselves from the rest of the pack. We'll see how it goes, though. I do love that it is home-heavy on the schedule. With kids back from school, that ballpark shall be rocking all month creating an unfriendly environment for the opposition.

kittle42
05-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Didn't the Reds sweep the Indians? That worked out fine.

manders_01
05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm WWWAAAYYY excited for the June schedule cause I'll actually be watching the Sox in person!!! :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
05-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm WWWAAAYYY excited for the June schedule cause I'll actually be watching the Sox in person!!! :bandance:

Pardon me if you've posted this elsewhere; but, when are you coming to Chicago next month?

manders_01
05-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Pardon me if you've posted this elsewhere; but, when are you coming to Chicago next month?

For the Rockies series (13-15). :redface: I figured if I was going to make a trip to see my favorite team, might as well see them play my second favorite team. It's possible that some of my family will be coming up to join me for the games but regardless, I really want to put some faces with some WSI names! :D:

BadBobbyJenks
05-28-2008, 11:45 PM

I hope they win every Saturday!

RockJock07
05-29-2008, 01:39 AM
I always felt that if the Sox could get through May they would be in good shape for the 1st half of the season. Now the Sox can really do some damage this month spending almost all their time here in Chicago. I think this month is set up for one of the best crosstown classics since interleague has started. I know they are just another series, but with both teams doing really well, it's gonna be nuts around here.

I kinda worry about that 4 gamer with Min too but I think they are playing better so that should work out better. The Sox play well in Det so I'm not worried about that and LA is bad this season so on paper this month could really pay dividends for the rest of the season.

Hitmen77
05-29-2008, 08:06 AM
I will be much more excited when Paulie, Thome and Swisher start hitting the damn ball.

This is what has me most optimistic about the Sox. I don't believe these 3 guys will hit .200 all season. We've been doing well while they've been slumping and I think we'll be that much better once they come around.

Plus, of the Sox players who are playing well (including the pitching), I really don't see anyone who is playing way above their heads who I expect to have a big drop-off in production. Quentin, until this year, doesn't have a MLB track record, but I'm going with the idea that he really is that good (as opposed to just on a hot streak). I also think Alexei Ramirez is on the upswing and will only get better and better as the season goes on.

At the beginning of the season, many worried about the Sox tough April and May schedule and that the team might be buried in their division by the end of May. If someone would have told me on opening day that we'd be in 1st by 2 games on May 29, I would have been very happy with that.

White City
05-29-2008, 08:52 AM
If the Sox can go 35-24 at home the rest of the way (counting a victory in that suspended O's game), or .593, and 26-25 on the road (~ .500), then they will win 90 games. That is roughly in line with what they have done so far.

That won't be enough for the wild card, so they need a good percentage of those wins to be intra-division, like they have been so far. They are on a pace to go 46-26 in the AL Central.

I'm hoping for a June with a 9-6 outcome versus the NL or better (.600), keeping their pace against division opponents (7-4), and a closing victory in Tampa for a 17-10 June and a very dsolid lead in the AL Central. Then the Sox hold on for the rest of the year versus whichever division foe decides to ignite.

russ99
05-29-2008, 09:02 AM

The schedule's not that awful. Last August/September was much worse, and the Sox have done well this month with only 9 home games.

Other than that 3-day trip to Oakland with no days off (between a KC and SEA home series) in August and that roadtrip in September starting with 4 vs. the Yankees, with KC in the middle and ending in Minnesota, it's not that bad.

Also there's a decent proportion of home vs. road games, unlike last year at the same time.

Stringer
05-29-2008, 11:08 PM
June is our month to get a nice padded lead in the Central

Royals
Dodgers
Pirates
Rockies
Cubs

All winnable series for us

May was a road intense month for us and we got through it with a winning record

OC and Alexei are beginning to raise those BA and we still have The Carlos Quentin

June is our month!

dcb56
05-30-2008, 02:51 AM

June is our month to get a nice padded lead in the Central

Royals
Dodgers
Pirates
Rockies
Cubs

All winnable series for us

May was a road intense month for us and we got through it with a winning record

OC and Alexei are beginning to raise those BA and we still have The Carlos Quentin

June is our month!

Not so fast, have any of you checked out the Twins schedule?

Teams on the Twins June schedule:
2 vs. NYY
3 vs. Bal
4 @ HERE
3 @ Cle
4 @ Milw
3 vs Wash
3 vs Ariz
3 @ SD
3 vs Milw
1 vs Det

So they've got 7 games vs. winning teams the entire month, and four of those are against the Sox. As favorable as the Sox schedule is with lots of home games and a few series vs. losing teams, the Twins have an absolute cupcake. I'll be ecstatic if the Sox are still setting the pace a month from now.

soxfan21
05-30-2008, 05:04 AM

2 vs. NYY
3 vs. Bal
4 @ HERE
3 @ Cle
4 @ Milw
3 vs Wash
3 vs Ariz
3 @ SD
3 vs Milw
1 vs Det

So they've got 7 games vs. winning teams the entire month, and four of those are against the Sox. As favorable as the Sox schedule is with lots of home games and a few series vs. losing teams, the Twins have an absolute cupcake. I'll be ecstatic if the Sox are still setting the pace a month from now.

Stupid Twins....

rwcescato
05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
[quote=nysox35;1906925]I am really starting to believe in this team. At the beginning of the season, I, like many, had an 85 win, 3rd place season in mind. I didn't expect Cleveland and Detroit to stink like this, nor did I expect our strong starting pitching across the board.

I was just looking at our upcoming schedule, and I know that anything can happen, but I'm starting to think that we can continue to play at around the clip we've been playing at and go in the break in first place. That would allow Kenny to do any necessary tweaking that we need come July.

I'm sure others have said it, but the team is starting to remind me of the '05 squad with its strong starting pitching and lights out pen, combined with timely hitting.

Anyone else feeling this way?

I am starting to believe. I just hope we keep winning right now. 17 wins on the road is a good start. Its to bad we had a 0-6 road trip at the beginning of may. We could easily be 3 or 4 games better now. We have a lot of home games in June and play three straight series against our own division. Its a good chance to further break away from the pack. A 4 or 5 game lead would feel good by the middle of June.
GO SOX!!!!!!!

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2008, 10:46 AM
If we continue to have this great pitching and pick up the hitting we should go 17-9 for June.
1-0 vs Rays road
2-1 vs KC home
2-1 vs Twins home
2-1 vs Det road
2-1 vs Rockies home
2-1 vs Pitt home
1-2 vs Cubs road(Cubs are tough at Wrigley
2-1 vs Dodgers road
2-1 vs Cubs home
1-0 vs Cleve home
Could be 47-34 on July 1st.
Some key points MB needs to regain his form, and Paulie, Thome and Swish need to remember how to hit again.

whitesox901
06-01-2008, 10:51 AM
If we continue to have this great pitching and pick up the hitting we should go 17-9 for June.
1-0 vs Rays road
2-1 vs KC home
3-1 vs Twins home
2-1 vs Det road
2-1 vs Rockies home
2-1 vs Pitt home
2-1 vs Dodgers road
2-1 vs Cubs home
1-0 vs Cleve home
Some key points MB needs to regain his form, and Paulie, Thome and Swish need to remember how to hit again.

Forgot the Monday make up game, dont worry, gave us the win for that one :tongue:

Stringer
06-01-2008, 12:32 PM

2 vs. NYY
3 vs. Bal
4 @ HERE
3 @ Cle
4 @ Milw
3 vs Wash
3 vs Ariz
3 @ SD
3 vs Milw
1 vs Det

Well so much for that

:(:

chisoxmike
06-01-2008, 04:11 PM
I'd hold off on any "looking forward to lots of wins in June."

The teams that the Sox are playing this month are just the teams with pitchers that can shut the Sox down. Home or away, the offense is pretty inept. June could be the most difficult month of the season...

And its funny that people expect series wins against the Cubs too. The Cubs can at least hit the ball from top to bottom of their lineup.

RadioheadRocks
06-01-2008, 08:40 PM

I second that emotion.

KingXerxes
06-01-2008, 11:36 PM
1-0 vs Rays road
2-1 vs KC home
2-1 vs Twins home
2-1 vs Det road
2-1 vs Rockies home
2-1 vs Pitt home
2-1 vs Dodgers road
2-1 vs Cubs home
1-0 vs Cleve home

How much time did you spend on this, because you're already one game off.

Stringer
06-02-2008, 05:17 AM
I second that emotion.

In the words of our north side counterparts....ITS GONNA HAPPEN!!!

:lol: