PDA

View Full Version : Is Konerko Too Hurt To Play?

Madvora
05-28-2008, 02:43 PM
If Konerko's hurt thumb is the cause of his hitting troubles, then what is he doing in the lineup?

Barely hovering around the Mendoza line is not what we need out of our "cleanup" hitter. He's doing much more to hurt the team now by being in the lineup, but has the DL even been an option for him?

Trav
05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm more upset at his fielding. I don't suppose that can be blamed on the thumb as well...

banTHEstrike
05-29-2008, 12:14 AM
I think he should sit out a few games in a weaker series.

ChiTownTrojan
05-29-2008, 12:22 AM
I think he should sit out a few games in a weaker series.
He just sat out a few games after getting a shot in his hand, but it doesn't really appear to have helped all that much. He's gotta realize that he's not helping the team when he's hurt like this. I'd much rather him spend the next two weeks on the DL and then return with the possibility of being the Paulie of old, than have this linger all season long. In the meantime stick Swisher at first give the extra AB's to Anderson.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
05-29-2008, 12:24 AM
He just sat out a few games after getting a shot in his hand, but it doesn't really appear to have helped all that much. He's gotta realize that he's not helping the team when he's hurt like this. I'd much rather him spend the next two weeks on the DL and then return with the possibility of being the Paulie of old, than have this linger all season long. In the meantime stick Swisher at first give the extra AB's to Anderson.

im with you on this one

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-29-2008, 02:48 AM
I wish the Sox would just put him on the D.L. already. It's not like losing him is going to hurt the lineup as he isn't producing. Swisher can easily play 1st and BA has looked good in CF. Might as well give him a chance to heal up now before we get into the later months when we may really need him.

RockJock07
05-29-2008, 02:52 AM
I want him on the DL as soon as possible, he's really not helping the team any. I'm sick of watching him 0 for 4.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2008, 07:21 AM
I want this team and all its players at full strength for the playoffs. It's becoming clearer that Paulie is not at full strength, and that continuing to play with the sore thumb/hand is not helping it to heal. So, if a DL stint will help him heal, the time to do it is now.

delben91
05-29-2008, 07:40 AM
I want this team and all its players at full strength for the playoffs. It's becoming clearer that Paulie is not at full strength, and that continuing to play with the sore thumb/hand is not helping it to heal. So, if a DL stint will help him heal, the time to do it is now.

If only they'd listened to one of your 18 trade Paulie proposals, the Sox wouldn't have this problem now! :D:

Railsplitter
05-29-2008, 07:44 AM
I'f he's injured to the point where he's not doing the team any good, he should be on the DL.

Bucky F. Dent
05-29-2008, 07:46 AM

What he said.

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2008, 08:14 AM
If only they'd listened to one of your 18 trade Paulie proposals, the Sox wouldn't have this problem now! :D:

18? Is that all? I counted at least 30. :tongue:

Madvora
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
The Sox are better with him out of the lineup, so I'm all for this.
I have absolutely no confidence when I see him up at the plate, it doesn't appear that he has much confidence in himself either, based on body language.

cws05champ
05-29-2008, 09:09 AM
The last couple games he put some good swings on the ball but only came up with one hit unfortunately. I still think he will turn it around soon. What most of you are saying is correct, IF he is too hurt to be productive he needs to go on the DL. But if he is still just slumping we need to let him hit out of it.

Stoky44
05-29-2008, 09:40 AM
I think he will be playing throughout the season with this injury. I don't think the deep bone bruise will heal with him playing. Also, if he were to go to the DL, I would think he would be out at least 3-4 weeks with his injury to be healed. Bone bruises can take a few months to heal sometimes.

Madvora
05-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I think he will be playing throughout the season with this injury. I don't think the deep bone bruise will heal with him playing. Also, if he were to go to the DL, I would think he would be out at least 3-4 weeks with his injury to be healed. Bone bruises can take a few months to heal sometimes.
The question is... is the thumb causing the slump? If it is, and it takes that long to heal, then he's worthless to the team right now.

Jimmy Piersall
05-29-2008, 09:50 AM
The question is... is the thumb causing the slump? If it is, and it takes that long to heal, then he's worthless to the team right now.

Just DL him already and move on.3 weeks,or 4,it doesn't matter
he can't help the club.Put the personal pride,and the captain
stuff aside and try and get healthy.

dwalteroo
05-29-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm wondering if the real reason they don't want to put Paulie on the DL is that that means it's time for Fields to be called up. And that might create a do-we-trade-somebody-or-not situation. Call me crazy.

GoSox2K3
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm wondering if the real reason they don't want to put Paulie on the DL is that that means it's time for Fields to be called up. And that might create a do-we-trade-somebody-or-not situation. Call me crazy.

Crazy.

dwalteroo
05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Crazy.

Fair enough.

russ99
05-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Usually a cortisone shot is a last-straw procedure. They may give him a second one, but as I recall, there has to be a 2-3 week gap between shots. If he still can't play after a 2nd one, he'll go on the DL.

UofCSoxFan
05-29-2008, 01:09 PM

You kind of hope the thumb is causing the slump and that you sit him for a bit and let him heal up. Still, if you look at his first half in 2003, it was even worse, so it could just be a repeat of that. On the bright side, he turned it around a bit in the 2nd half.

Split Avg HR RBI OPS
1st Half 03 .197 5 22 .583
2nd Half 03 .275 13 43 .853
2008 YTD .206 5 23 .651

I can't figure out the formatting so hang with me :)

As bad as this year has been, he was worse by far in the first half of 03.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Didn't Konerko play hurt all season in 2003 and not say anything to the team?

GoSox2K3
05-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Fair enough.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, I don't think that's an issue. If Konerko was shut down for 15 days, they'd just have Swisher be the regular 1B and Anderson take over as regular CF until he returns. May not be ideal, but I'd take that for 2 weeks if it meant Konerko coming back with his hand healed.

nsdjoe
05-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I agree, DL him immediately. Uribe becomes eligible to return to the team any day now.. so keep Wise?

Railsplitter
05-29-2008, 08:17 PM
It the thumb on the glove hand or throwing hand? Paulie dropped a relay throw in the bottom of the third and I'm wondering if the pain had something to do with it.

chisoxfanatic
05-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, he got a hold of one right there and hit a catwalk to give us a 5-1 lead now. Hopefully that'll get him going now, because he's had some pretty ****ty luck lately with the things he's been hitting well.

kitekrazy
05-29-2008, 10:38 PM
If Konerko's hurt thumb is the cause of his hitting troubles, then what is he doing in the lineup?

I thought is was more of an excuse for his dismal play. If it's that bad then don't play. If it were truly that bad he should be platooning with Thome at DH or on the DL.
Why would anyone want to play the field with a bad thumb especially at 1B when you handle the ball quite often?

HITMEN OF 77
05-30-2008, 02:08 AM
He played good tonight. 2-4 HR, RBI. Maybe sit him for tomorrows game though.