PDA

View Full Version : Boo Soriano, you're outta there

thomas35forever
05-28-2008, 02:09 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/05/28/boo-alfonso-soriano-cubs-fans-and-sweet-lou-and-wrigley-security-will-get/?icid=100214839x1202876265x1200116215
Wrigley security is now instructing fans in the leftfield bleachers that any inappropriate comments made towards Soriano will result in immediate ejection. Hopefully, this is the start of a trend.

Jerko
05-28-2008, 02:11 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/05/28/boo-alfonso-soriano-cubs-fans-and-sweet-lou-and-wrigley-security-will-get/?icid=100214839x1202876265x1200116215
Wrigley security is now instructing fans in the leftfield bleachers that any inappropriate comments made towards Soriano will result in immediate ejection. Hopefully, this is the start of a trend.

Can't boo a guy but it's ok to throw balls and garbage all over the place. Keep it up cubbies.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

downstairs
05-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Wrong. They will boot you for profane comments, not booing. That makes sense, and I applaud them.

soxfan13
05-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Wrong. They will boot you for profane comments, not booing. That makes sense, and I applaud them.

Good for someone here. You took time to read the article instead of saying you cant boo!!!:gulp:

whitem0nkey
05-28-2008, 03:18 PM
well they still can make fun of CF and RF

SOXPHILE
05-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I didn't hear it at the time, but the Score was replaying a segment from Larry Holmes' show the other day, where a bleacherite called in on his cell phone and said he was at the game, and that the ushers or whatever passes for security there was telling everyone not to boo or make ANY comments to Soriano, or they would get launched. Because he was a bleacherite calling in on his cell phone, I take it with a grain of salt, and thought it was possible he left out something about using profane language. But then again, it is the Cubs, so nothing would really surprise me.

TDog
05-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Have they set up camps in which to put people who make inappropriate comments toward Mr. Soriano?

Jerko
05-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I bet Jacques Jones is wondering where this rule was in previous seasons.

Cuck the Fubs
05-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Have they set up camps in which to put people who make inappropriate comments toward Mr. Soriano?

They have odd names for these camps as well.....

The Cubby Bear
Murphy's
Sluggers

:redneck

cws05champ
05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Good for someone here. You took time to read the article instead of saying you cant boo!!!:gulp:
The article says you can not say profane OR inappropriate comments to Soriano. Inappropriate is open to wide interpretation by the "security" in the bleachers. So does "You suck" fall under inappropriate, and "you stink" doesn't?

skottyj242
05-28-2008, 03:59 PM
The article says you can not say profane OR inappropriate comments to Soriano. Inappropriate is open to wide interpretation by the "security" in the bleachers. So does "You suck" fall under inappropriate, and "you stink" doesn't?

Would I get kicked out for saying "Go back to France you commie!"?

DSpivack
05-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I bet Jacques Jones is wondering where this rule was in previous seasons.

I bet this was made in response to all the stuff spewn against him.

soxpride724
05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
It's nice to see that the Security at good ol Wrigley has finally decided to grow a pair. I guess the inmates don't have complete control of the asylum anymore.
Bravo Andy Frain, Bravo!
(Or whoever the hell they use)

spawn
05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Getting booted for profane comments shouldn't be directed at just Soriano.

TDog
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
And I'm sure security will eject anyone making inappropriate comments toward Carlos Quentin when he Sox play in Wrigley.

No, I'm not. Teal was implied.

I don't know what inappropriate comments one could truthfully make toward Carlos Quentin, but such comments don't have to be based on reality. He certainly isn't overpaid, which could be the subject of inappropriate remarks made toward Soriano.

That leaves me with two questions. First, I can see that questioning a player's parentage may be inappropriate, but would it be inappropriate to suggest that Soriano take his big fat paycheck and invest in lessons in how to catch fly balls during the day with two outs in the ninth inning of a game with a one-run lead and runner on base?

And for that matter, if questioning Soriano's parentage is worth an ejection, is questioning Quentin's parentage not an equally egregious act? And if I'm sitting in right field, will such comments toward Fukudome get me ejected?

Maybe if Alfonso Soriano weren't such a loser he wouldn't require such special treatment.

Lip Man 1
05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Jerko:

And Hawkins as well.

Lip

It's Dankerific
05-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I came looking for a thread after I saw this on PTI just now. THATS INSANE.

Its one thing to have a "no foul language rule". Thats fine with me, protect the kids. But everything else? thats besmirks communism and I hope someone sues for the price of their ticket after telling Soriano that he was playing poorly and getting kicked out.

fquaye149
05-28-2008, 06:03 PM

Its one thing to have a "no foul language rule". Thats fine with me, protect the kids. But everything else? thats besmirks communism and I hope someone sues for the price of their ticket after telling Soriano that he was playing poorly and getting kicked out.

That case wouldn't hold up for a second.

BadBobbyJenks
05-28-2008, 08:20 PM
I was in the bleachers last night and found it odd they had a security guy standing in the middle the first row of the left bleachers. I didn't see anyone get booted, but we did chant the badge number of the security guy, he found it pretty funny.

Matt Kemp got it good all night.

cws05champ
05-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Show me how many kids are out in the Wrigley bleachers these days?

DSpivack
05-28-2008, 09:07 PM

When "fans" start yelling racial slurs at their own player, as with Jones, I don't have a problem with kicking that person out. I see this as a pre-emptive move.

Viva Medias B's
05-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I could have sworn that I saw on TV an object come at Kemp after he caught a ball Derrek Lee hit to the warning track this evening. TRe object landed near him, and Kemp looked into the bleachers.

whitem0nkey
05-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Its one thing to have a "no foul language rule". Thats fine with me, protect the kids. But everything else? thats besmirks communism

Cubs baseball a bit better than communism in center and right field.

Zisk77
05-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Would I get kicked out for saying "Go back to France you commie!"?

No, but apparently someone on this board will accuse you of being a xenophobe. And don't say anything bad about soccer either.:scratch:

soltrain21
05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Well, fans in the bleachers will live on for at least another day.

pierzynski07
05-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Cubs baseball a bit better than communism in center and right field.
:tiphat:

Jimmy Piersall
05-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I was in the bleachers last night and found it odd they had a security guy standing in the middle the first row of the left bleachers. I didn't see anyone get booted, but we did chant the badge number of the security guy, he found it pretty funny.

Matt Kemp got it good all night.

And just what were you doing there anyways,Bad Bobby ?
hopefully just "watering" the ivy for the rest of us:rolleyes:

D. TODD
05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Wrong. They will boot you for profane comments, not booing. That makes sense, and I applaud them. That is exactly how I see it. I applaud the Cubs for this stance and wish that it is extended to every ballpark. The Cubs have to at least be consistent and apply this to the "bleacher bums" as well though. Not just limit it to Soriano comments.

spawn
05-29-2008, 02:39 PM

If someone comes to my house and acts like an ignorant *******, I reserve the right to kick them out. What's the difference? Just because you pay money doesn't give you the right to be a dick. Boo, hiss all you like. The moment you cross the line into using obscene language and using racist slurs, you deserve to get kicked out.

Jaffar
05-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Funny, the Cubs are now denying these reports. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080528-chicago-cubs-fan-behavior,0,3647324.story)

It's Dankerific
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
If someone comes to my house and acts like an ignorant *******, I reserve the right to kick them out. What's the difference? Just because you pay money doesn't give you the right to be a dick. Boo, hiss all you like. The moment you cross the line into using obscene language and using racist slurs, you deserve to get kicked out.

Like I said, banning the use of foul language (including any kind of slurs) is perfectly acceptable. But when you are a for profit business, instead of a personal home, there is a big difference. If you get kicked out, you deserve your money back. It's wrong to take money from people, then arbitrarily decide what non-offensive language (ie OPINIONS) that people CANNOT voice while allowing other opinion based speech to continue.

If someone would like to tell Soriano they feel that he is making their favorite team worse off, so be it.

skottyj242
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
"I was saying Boourns."

http://chanisoft.com/images/HansMoleman1.gif

fquaye149
05-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Like I said, banning the use of foul language (including any kind of slurs) is perfectly acceptable. But when you are a for profit business, instead of a personal home, there is a big difference. If you get kicked out, you deserve your money back. It's wrong to take money from people, then arbitrarily decide what non-offensive language (ie OPINIONS) that people CANNOT voice while allowing other opinion based speech to continue.

If someone would like to tell Soriano they feel that he is making their favorite team worse off, so be it.

How do you figure?

Profanity in public is illegal. So is abusive language. Kicking people out for abusive language and profanity is actually LESS "illegal and inethical" than kicking them out for bringing in outside food.

I don't suppose you'd argue that those who get kicked out for bringing in outside food deserve their money back. What about those who interfere with balls in the field of play? do they deserve their money back? And yet that is less grounds for being kicked out, legally speaking, that verbally abusing ballplayers.

kittle42
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM
How do you figure?

Profanity in public is illegal. So is abusive language. Kicking people out for abusive language and profanity is actually LESS "illegal and inethical" than kicking them out for bringing in outside food.

I don't suppose you'd argue that those who get kicked out for bringing in outside food deserve their money back. What about those who interfere with balls in the field of play? do they deserve their money back? And yet that is less grounds for being kicked out, legally speaking, that verbally abusing ballplayers.

I agree. I think people believe they are "entitled" to free speech everywhere, and that is just not true. Just like here at WSI. The owners can boot you for breaking their rules, and they are free to establish what their rules are. They are the private company. You pay for the privilege of going to see their product. They are just as free to decide what you can and cannot say in their stands as they are to say something like, "no shirt, no shoes, no service." And no, you don't deserve your money back. When you go there, and pay to go there, you agree to abide by their rules, and they have the right to set those rules. They are not a government-run property, like a public park. They are a privately-owned ballclub.

I used to work for the WWE. As long as I can remember, they have had workers go around the crowd and confiscate signs that had things on them they did not want shown on TV, however innocuous the remark, just because they were anti-WWE product. If these people refused to hand over or put down their signs, they would be kicked out. No money back. There is no "free speech" right in those situations. Same thing here with the Cubs.

gregoriop
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I think some of you that think you know what communism means need an encyclopedia.

skottyj242
05-29-2008, 03:24 PM

I would get kicked out every game then in the 8th or 9th inning and just get my money back.

It's Dankerific
05-29-2008, 03:36 PM
How do you figure?

I would get kicked out every game then in the 8th or 9th inning and just get my money back.

I very explicitly said that kicking people out for profanity/slurs was acceptable. I don't want (nor do I actually) live in a world where crazy restrictions on public speech are acceptable. you guys might want to look into the rules about restricting speech in such locations. you can ban all of a particular type of speech (for instance foul language or hate speech). you can't choose what people are able to say if you let them (or other people) say different things. IE, you can't be allowing people who support candidate A and kicking out people supporting candidate B.

There's also a difference when the back of your ticket gives you the ground rules, like touching balls in the field of play. I've also never seen people kicked out for bringing foreign food into the stadium (asked to throw it away, yes.) Here in California, you CAN bring foreign food into theatres and whatever.

and skotty, id hope after you got kicked out a few times the security guards would recognize you and ask you to leave sooner =)

kittle42
05-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't want (nor do I actually) live in a world where crazy restrictions on public speech are acceptable. you guys might want to look into the rules about restricting speech in such locations.

You might want to, as well.

turners56
05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
The fact that they have to restrict booing in the Friendly Confines is irony beyond imagination.

DSpivack
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
The fact that they have to restrict booing in the Friendly Confines is irony beyond imagination.

I think people are seriously misunderstanding the issue. They're not kicking out people for simple booing.

It's Dankerific
05-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I think people are seriously misunderstanding the issue. They're not kicking out people for simple booing.

Theres a conflicting of reports. There is the cubs, in spin mode, saying they never said that. There's the people that were there, including Cubbie Cigarette Season Ticket Holder Man who claims that they DID say that. So what is the truth? I would say that going forward, its probably just the hate/vulgar speech is going to get you removed. But that doesn't change the philosophical (or grammatical) discussion we've been having =)

C-Dawg
05-30-2008, 09:37 AM

The irony is that this behavior is going on at all in the "Friendly" Confines. :o:

Ziggy S
05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Why couldn't those ****ing ********ers at the ****ing Tribune stand up for me when I managed the Cubs and told the truth about those 30,000 mother****ers who don't work that show up to day baseball. Eighty-five percent of the world works; the other fifteen show up to that ****ing ballpark. The Tribune turned Wrigley Field into a playground for those ********ers. Those fans are really behind around there, my ****ing ass.

asindc
05-30-2008, 10:52 AM
That is exactly how I see it. I applaud the Cubs for this stance and wish that it is extended to every ballpark. The Cubs have to at least be consistent and apply this to the "bleacher bums" as well though. Not just limit it to Soriano comments.

I agree. I hear a lot more profanity, sadly, at MLB ball parks now then when I was a kid. It's time that teams start cracking down on it.

TheVulture
06-01-2008, 10:38 PM
thats besmirks communism

:?: