PDA

View Full Version : If This is True, Something is Really Wrong!

SluggersAway
05-28-2008, 02:45 AM
Originally Posted by southsideirish71 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1906019#post1906019)

[T]he Twins announcers [made] an observation during the last Twins series against the Sox in the dome. They talked about how the Sox take batting practice, and marveled on how our batting practice looked like a glorified home run contest, while other teams come in take their cuts, practice hitting to right, and then work on their power. Our guys are working on their home run poses instead of working on making contact. This might be why we get people popping up, GIDPing, and striking out when we get men on.

Scottiehaswheels
05-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Well according to the article yesterday about Ramirez working on slap hitting while showing bunt... Ozzie said he wasn't even aware that he was doing this in BP so is OG not showing up to BP? How about Walker?

HebrewHammer
05-28-2008, 03:03 AM
Well according to the article yesterday about Ramirez working on slap hitting while showing bunt... Ozzie said he wasn't even aware that he was doing this in BP so is OG not showing up to BP? How about Walker?

And interrupt the poker game? No way!

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2008, 07:30 AM
If this is true, this is more proof that the Sox organizational philosophy on hitting is homer-first. And yes, it shows that something is very wrong.

Railsplitter
05-28-2008, 08:47 AM
I've suspected this myself.

ondafarm
05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Hawk talked about this on-air a few weeks ago. If this is true, it explains a lot. Mind you, my first year in pro ball, I'd always take batting practice at a driing range first before showing up at the park and then do roughly what the Sox are doing when at the park, under the eyes of the opposition.

Zisk77
05-28-2008, 09:07 AM
If the twins announcer was Dick Bremer, then the next time he says something positive about the sox it will be the first time. :angry:

SoxGirl4Life
05-28-2008, 09:11 AM
If the twins announcer was Dick Bremer, then the next time he says something positive about the sox it will be the first time. :angry:

Exactly. Why are we putting any credence in what a Twins announcer says? They love that "little town beating up the big city team" meme.

Madvora
05-28-2008, 09:14 AM

Exactly. Why are we putting any credence in what a Twins announcer says? They love that "little town beating up the big city team" meme.
Oh come on... does this really sound like an unbelievable story?
We see how these guys hit.

SoxGirl4Life
05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
We see how these guys hit.

Considering the source? Its not any more credible than the "We get squeezed by the umpires" theme that Hawk likes to take on. I don't buy either.

Madvora
05-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Considering the source? Its not any more credible than the "We get squeezed by the umpires" theme that Hawk likes to take on. I don't buy either.
Actually your's and Zisk's reasoning sounds a lot like Hawk's "everybody's out to get the White Sox" attitude.

Why would this guy just make this up? He's commenting on the Sox batting practice. I don't see any malice here or anything to benefit by completely telling a lie.
The Sox hitting is pathetic. They are very much a homerun team that is horrible at fundamental hitting. Also, the previous comment about Ozzie not being aware of Ramierz working on the fake bunt/slap play everyday makes this even more credible.

So after hearing something like this, it once again leads back to Greg Walker.

jabrch
05-28-2008, 10:22 AM

Yes

I am shocked at the sillyness of some of our posters.

It's insane to believe they step into the cage and all they do is try and hit HRs. If you have ever watched BP, you'd know better.

Jollyroger2
05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes

It's insane to believe they step into the cage and all they do is try and hit HRs. If you have ever watched BP, you'd know better.

Poppycock! This came from the Minnesota announcers, it must be bona-fide solid gold truth.

05-28-2008, 10:25 AM
What the heck is Greg Walkers job? He is worthless to this organization. He should be at batting practice and suggesting what to work on. ANYONE who thinks that bozo still deserves a job is smoking something funny.

skobabe8
05-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I watched bp in SF and it didnt look to me like guys were trying to put on any kind of show. In fact the only guy I even noticed hit not 1....but 2 home runs was John Danks. :tongue:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-28-2008, 10:31 AM
This is a typical thread after a Sox loss. We lost last night so someone must lose their job.

Mind you, the comments made by the Twins announcer were during the last Sox series at the Twinkie Dome. So those comments were made about a month ago? Why wait until after a crappy loss to post this? :scratch:

I've seen a lot of batting practice and many teams try to hit homers in BP. Lamar Johnson of the '77 White Sox once told a story on WGN about how during batting practice the players used to have a competition in BP where you had to hit it in the upper deck otherwise it didn't count.

Zisk77
05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Actually your's and Zisk's reasoning sounds a lot like Hawk's "everybody's out to get the White Sox" attitude.

Why would this guy just make this up? He's commenting on the Sox batting practice. I don't see any malice here or anything to benefit by completely telling a lie.
The Sox hitting is pathetic. They are very much a homerun team that is horrible at fundamental hitting. Also, the previous comment about Ozzie not being aware of Ramierz working on the fake bunt/slap play everyday makes this even more credible.

So after hearing something like this, it once again leads back to Greg Walker.

Seriously, listen to dick Bremer on MLB extra innings. He is by far the worst announcer I have ever heard degrading the sox. All other announcers seem to find something positive to say about the opposing players. The closest dick comes is backhanded compliment such as....that was a nifty play from the poor fielding /slow footed sox for example.

I don't know that BP is hr derby for the sox, because I haven't seen it yet. I'm sure every now and then players may do this. The 77' sox talked about playing where if it didn't go in the 2nd deck it didn't count. Since hitters take extra rounds the may have one round where they let it out to show off for the fans.

I saw bp once in KC where Baines, Ozzie, Robin all took one swing on who could hit it the farthest...Ozzie won. The rest of the rounds where very business-like.

If this goofing around during BP was how the sox regularly went about business wouldn't one of are loyal season ticket holders who posts here have mentioned this already?

itsnotrequired
05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Yes

But the fans don't get to see Sox BP! It is all a Greg Walker conspiracy!

I think Greg Walker should be killed as these words from the Twins announcer might as well be a death sentence!

jabrch
05-28-2008, 10:46 AM
What the heck is Greg Walkers job? He is worthless to this organization. He should be at batting practice and suggesting what to work on. ANYONE who thinks that bozo still deserves a job is smoking something funny.

And you know that he isn't at batting practice suggesting what to work for? I think it is clear who is the bozo here.

But the fans don't get to see Sox BP! It is all a Greg Walker conspiracy!

I think Greg Walker should be killed as these words from the Twins announcer might as well be a death sentence!

Exactly....what a bunch of nonsense.

KenBerryGrab
05-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Those Twins clowns hate the Sox more than anyone. It's a true obsession.

Their constant drumbeat is that the Sox are so fundamentally unsound; why, our Jasons and Justins would never play ball in so unprofessional a manner. They've been riding this pony since before Tom Kelly, and they frame every observation in a David-Goliath tone.

Just wait until you leave your comfy balloon, boys. Baseball is different outside.

05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
And you know that he isn't at batting practice suggesting what to work for? I think it is clear who is the bozo here.

Thanks! Your right this is the first time there has been complaints about Greg Walker doing his job. :scratch:

kitekrazy
05-28-2008, 11:31 AM
If this is true, this is more proof that the Sox organizational philosophy on hitting is homer-first. And yes, it shows that something is very wrong.

It's been that way for a long time. The only time they stray away from that philosophy is when they have more success.

TomBradley72
05-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Those Twins clowns hate the Sox more than anyone. It's a true obsession.

Their constant drumbeat is that the Sox are so fundamentally unsound; why, our Jasons and Justins would never play ball in so unprofessional a manner. They've been riding this pony since before Tom Kelly, and they frame every observation in a David-Goliath tone.

Just wait until you leave your comfy balloon, boys. Baseball is different outside.

If I watched the Twins play 162 games a year...I'm sure the 16" softball team known as the White Sox would stand out as a pretty big contrast from a fundamentals standpoint during the 18 times they play each other. We can't hit the other way, we can't get bunts down, we can't execute run downs, we can't move runners along, we can't steal bases, we can't "manufacture" runs. We pitch very well, we hit alot of home runs, we play pretty good defense...but we're not fundamentally sound overall.

But I agree with your point on David/Goliath...both Minneaoplis and Milwaukee lead the league in that type of mentality.

kitekrazy
05-28-2008, 11:34 AM

One reason I think for getting rid of Walker is it seems like guys who come from the outside of the organization start swinging like the rest of the Sox players.

bigsoxfan420
05-28-2008, 11:38 AM
I did look like Quentin was trying to hard to hit a homerun yesterday. I saw at least two pop ups to the second baseman.

Stormin' Norm
05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
If the SOX are only focusing on the long ball then I guess we are in some serious trouble because I watched the SOX BP on 5/26 in Cleveland and didn't see one of our guys even hit one out of the park.

thomas35forever
05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Why does Greg Walker still have a job if this is true?

jabrch
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Why does Greg Walker still have a job if this is true?

That's likely the answer....

itsnotrequired
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I heard the Sox hitting woes are based on the chick-scoping bench in the dugout. Why does that carpenter still have a job? Pay attention to the game and stop checking out the ladies, u doodz.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-28-2008, 12:59 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/david-letterman.jpg

Here are the Top 10 Reasons Why Greg Walker Should Be Fired:

10. He hit my mom in the face with a ball during batting practice.

9. He spoiled the ending of the new Indiana Jones movie for me.

8. He always says "Poker? I don't even know her!"

7. He refused to sign my 1984 Topps card of his

6. I was sitting in the Scout seats and he took my churros when I wasn't looking

5. He was the answer to a trivia question on the scoreboard that I got wrong.

4. It's his fault that Nancy Faust doesn't play at many home games anymore

3. He started "The Wave" during Sunday night's game

2. He purposely told MLB to leave Carlos Quentin off the All Star ballot

and #1

1. The Sox lost last night and it was probably his fault!

downstairs
05-28-2008, 01:57 PM
This is all Minnesota should be concerned about:

1. Chicago Sox 28 22 .560
2. Minnesota 25 25 .500

...seems like we're doing something right.

thomas35forever
05-28-2008, 02:13 PM
This is all Minnesota should be concerned about:

1. Chicago Sox 28 23 .549
2. Minnesota 26 25 .510

...seems like we're doing something right.
Fixed.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Fixed.

You fixed it before it was broken. Now take it back and apologize! :club:

Lip Man 1
05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
For what it's worth I let Mark Gonzales know about this and asked if he knew anything about it.

He did not... calling it "interesting." He also said he'd follow up and mentioned that "unlike some other announcers, Bremer at least takes the time to be there for Ozzie's pre game conversations, so he does his homework."

I'll be interested if anything does come of this. I'll contact some friends in Minnesota to see if they can confirm hearing this on Twins TV.

Lip

turners56
05-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, I guess my theories have been right all along. This franchise's philosophy and the love of the home run screams out at you. Even at the expense of their announcers. Look at Hawk, he's happy during every White Sox home run (not that he's not happy in general when the Sox do score). You also get Farmer trying to predict homers before our sluggers come up. Oh and how he loves to say Juan Uribe is "dangerous".

Daver
05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
It is well known that you move through the Sox minor league system by hitting, if you can hit you move up rapidly, whether you can actually play a position is irrelevant. It has been this way for years. Why do you think they had Carlos Lee grazing in left field for a few years?

Tragg
05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Why do you think they had Carlos Lee grazing in left field for a few years? I don't disagree, but specifically with Lee, what else are you going to do with Lee, though. Every other team "grazes" himi there too.

Daver
05-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't disagree, but specifically with Lee, what else are you going to do with Lee, though. Every other team "grazes" himi there too.

I was not criticizing the Sox for playing him there in any way, I only mention it to point out the fact that he could hit while not really fielding a position, yet made the MLB roster rapidly.

Madvora
05-28-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't disagree, but specifically with Lee, what else are you going to do with Lee, though. Every other team "grazes" himi there too.
Really with the power team we had then, there was nowhere for him to go. We squeezed Thomas, Ordonez and Lee all in that lineup.
We could have used Lee or Thomas as a DH, even Jose Valentin was more suited for DH too.

Zisk77
05-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I did look like Quentin was trying to hard to hit a homerun yesterday. I saw at least two pop ups to the second baseman.

Really? It looked to me like he had 2 strikes on him and was fouling of a bunch of pitches to stay alive. He then got JAMMED on 2 inside fastballs that he probably would have hit hard if he wasn't in protect mode (and at least trying to move both runners up by driving the ball the other way with no outs) and actually trying to go for the downs.

Also, if he was trying to hit a hr in both situations he probably would have taken a big rip at the 2 -2-0 fastballs he took for called strikes in each at bat.

A. Cavatica
05-28-2008, 09:41 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/david-letterman.jpg

Here are the Top 10 Reasons Why Greg Walker Should Be Fired:

10. He hit my mom in the face with a ball during batting practice.

9. He spoiled the ending of the new Indiana Jones movie for me.

8. He always says "Poker? I don't even know her!"

7. He refused to sign my 1984 Topps card of his

6. I was sitting in the Scout seats and he took my churros when I wasn't looking

5. He was the answer to a trivia question on the scoreboard that I got wrong.

4. It's his fault that Nancy Faust doesn't play at many home games anymore

3. He started "The Wave" during Sunday night's game

2. He purposely told MLB to leave Carlos Quentin off the All Star ballot

and #1

1. The Sox lost last night and it was probably his fault!

ˇFantastico!

VeeckAsInWreck
05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
ˇFantastico!

Thank you! I was wondering if anyone had read that. :smile:

TDog
05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, I guess my theories have been right all along. This franchise's philosophy and the love of the home run screams out at you. Even at the expense of their announcers. Look at Hawk, he's happy during every White Sox home run (not that he's not happy in general when the Sox do score). You also get Farmer trying to predict homers before our sluggers come up. Oh and how he loves to say Juan Uribe is "dangerous".

And look at how excited some of the posters (many of whom are tired of Jim Thome's strikeouts) get every time the prospect of Josh Fields comes up -- because he hit so many home runs last year or hit home runs three straight games for Charlotte, for which, before going on the DL, he was striking out in almost one-third of his plate appearances.

If you have wacky theories with nothing to back them up, it doesn't take much to "confirm" them. Have you ever watched White Sox batting practice? In San Francisco, the Sox weren't allowed to take batting practice Saturday night because fans were on the field for Photo Night. Sunday in San Francisco, I watched Sox batting practice from beginning to end. There weren't many balls hit out of the park. Thome wasn't hitting fly balls in direction of McCovey Cove. Neither was Pierzynski. In fact, no one hit it to or over the shallow right field wall. Kids were screaming for players to go deep, but everyone bunted at least at the first pitch and most of the hitters hit line drives to left, center and right. One of the grown ups standing around the disappointed kids commented about how the Sox hitters were "hammering" the ball. Granted, it was against Mark Salas and Kevin Hickey, but the hitters weren't playing home run derby.

During batting practice, Greg Walker was standing behind the cage talking to the hitters. In the game, the Sox scored their first six runs on home runs, which apparently bothers some people, and they came off of a very good pitcher. But they scored their last seven without the benefit of a home run.

It's a shame that Sox fans can only watch the Sox take batting practice on the road, as people can't get into the ballpark until batting practice is over. Most of the people who do watch batting practice stand in the outfield to catch balls that go out.

There may be individuals who like to put on a batting practice show, such as Sammy Sosa said he did with his corked bat (although he didn't take batting practice in front of home fans). Frank Thomas put on great power displays during batting practice. He also complained that Art Kusnyer was throwing too hard in batting practice.

This is what I've seen and heard from watching the Sox take batting practice and talking with people who work with the team. But you can believe what you want to believe.