PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is about?

Scottiehaswheels
05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/05/team-turmoil.html

southside rocks
05-27-2008, 10:26 PM
The Cabrera thing -- Joe Cowley talked about that on the pre-game show. OC, about the flack he caught for calling the official scorer twice, said that he feels that Ozzie doesn't have his back. KW told OC to shut up, or pretty much:
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2008/05/kenny_speaks.html

The Dotel thing -- I have no idea. Sounds disquieting.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Here is the story now up at White Sox.com:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080527&content_id=2781429&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Very strange indeed.

Lip

cws05champ
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Gee, the Tribune trying to stir up more than what the story actually is? NO WAY!

JB98
05-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Gee, the Tribune trying to stir up more than what the story actually is? NO WAY!

Cowley is reporting on it too. I guess it happened in front of everybody, but no one is saying anything about what caused the altercation.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:36 PM
I liked Kenny's take on it. Soap Opera.

getonbckthr
05-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I still like my team meeting idea.

October26
05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
After reading the article, I wonder what would make a player like Dotel get into an altercation with a conditioning coach? Odd. Very odd.

getonbckthr
05-27-2008, 10:41 PM
After reading the article, I wonder what would make a player like Dotel get into an altercation with a conditioning coach? Odd. Very odd.
"Hey Fatass."
"Huh?"

Vernam
05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Don't know if this is the "prank" in question, but tonight Hawk and DJ referred to a pre-game joke that got played on Brian Anderson. They didn't say what it was, but their party line was that it's the sign of a team that's going well, when they can play pranks on each other. Sounds like damage control . . .

Vernam

sox1970
05-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Don't know if this is the "prank" in question, but tonight Hawk and DJ referred to a pre-game joke that got played on Brian Anderson. They didn't say what it was, but their party line was that it's the sign of a team that's going well, when they can play pranks on each other. Sounds like damage control . . .

Vernam

3-man lift. Surprised BA didn't know that one.

JB98
05-27-2008, 10:53 PM

Vernam

Thome played a prank on Anderson. Basically, BA ended up with a bucket full of mushroom juice, tobacco spit and other **** dumped on him.

Don't know how that would lead to an altercation between Dotel and AT.

manders_01
05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I like Ozzie's comment about not having to be friends off the field but being family on the field.

cws05champ
05-27-2008, 11:21 PM
"Hey Uribe...put down the Twinkies!"

Hitmen77
05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Here is the story now up at White Sox.com:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080527&content_id=2781429&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Very strange indeed.

Lip

Here's the latest in the Tribune. Cabrera complaining about not having Ozzie's support. Terrific.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080527-orlando-cabrera-ozzie-guillen-white-sox,1,2111738.story

oeo
05-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Cabrera is getting farther and farther from what he was advertised as. A leader? This doesn't sound like leadership. A smart player? I've yet to see him make a smart play on the offensive side of the ball. In fact, he's made so many dumb offensive mistakes, you'd think his name was Juan Uribe. Can he bunt? Haven't seen it. Can he get the runner over? Again, haven't seen it. Smart on the basepaths? Nope. The only time he does jack is when the bases are empty (the exception was last night).

I'm starting to agree with those that feel he doesn't want to be here.

DumpJerry
05-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Bronx Zoo, Bridgeport style.

Orlando was getting ripped all day on The Score for his mercenary approach to playing.

GlassSox
05-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Cabrera is getting farther and farther from what he was advertised as. A leader? This doesn't sound like leadership. A smart player? I've yet to see him make a smart play on the offensive side of the ball. In fact, he's made so many dumb offensive mistakes, you'd think his name was Juan Uribe. Can he bunt? Haven't seen it. Can he get the runner over? Again, haven't seen it. Smart on the basepaths? Nope. The only time he does jack is when the bases are empty (the exception was last night).

Right on! I'm not sure we need a malcontent here especially since he has not shown us much! He's awful on the base path!

JB98
05-27-2008, 11:43 PM

During Sunday's game, Ramirez led off the third inning with a single against Lackey. With a man on first, Cabrera made no attempt to hit the ball through the hole on the right side AT ALL. Instead, he tried to jack one and flew out to LF. That sums it up, IMO.

He's been hitting well in this Cleveland series, but I don't really like what's going on with this guy. I don't think KW likes it one bit either.

We gave up a two-time 18-game winner to get Cabrera. As it turns out, our rotation doesn't miss Garland. But when you move a guy of Garland's caliber, you like to get something positive coming back.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Hitmen:

This doesn't sound good at all.

It sounds bitter, maybe that's to strong of a word, but that's the thought that crossed my mind as I read the story.

Looks like the Sox are going to be needing a shortstop next season. You don't think they'd go back to Uribe do you? (with Ramirez at second??)

And if this continues I wouldn't be surprised to see Kenny try to move him at the break.

Lip

JB98
05-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Hitmen:

It sounds bitter, maybe that's to strong of a word, but that's the thought that crossed my mind as I read the story.

Looks like the Sox are going to be needing a shortstop next season. You don't think they'd go back to Uribe do you? (with Ramirez at second??)

And if this continues I wouldn't be surprised to see Kenny try to move him at the break.

Lip

A lot depends on Danny Richar. Can he get healthy? Can he hit MLB pitching? If the Sox have faith in that kid, they'll move Cabrera and go with Richar and Ramirez/Uribe up the middle.

I think Ramirez, not Uribe, will be our shortstop in 2009.

oeo
05-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Hitmen:

Lip

Don't forget about Richar. If he can come up and prove his worth this year, Uribe will be gone before the season ends.

The only way I see Cabrera being dealt is if a)someone really steps up at 2B (two holes in the middle infield isn't going to help anything...and although Cabrera has been garbage, you at least have to hope he returns to his career numbers) or b)the Sox are long out of it.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm also wondering if Cabrera has had any of these "incidents" before in Montreal, Boston or Los Angeles?

Does anyone remember hearing or reading anything along these lines?

I find it hard to imagine that an old-school type manager like Mike Scioscia would be taking time out during a game to call a scorer but that seems to be what Cabrera is implying.

I don't think there's any question he is one and done here. The worst thing you can possibly do is piss off Kenny Williams. Could this stuff be deliberate by Orlando? Does he really hate the weather that much to possibly hurt himself in free agency?

Lip

Noneck
05-28-2008, 12:04 AM
It is possible he just doesn't like the organization.

Optipessimism
05-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Orlando is acting like a bitch, simple as that.

He got off to a bad start at the plate, he hasn't delivered fundamentally, he's been a big downgrade from Uribe defensively, and now he's complaining about his fielding percentage and whining about a perceived lack of support.

Hey Orlando: you're not as good as you think you are so shut the **** up.

GlassSox
05-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey Orlando: you're not as good as you think you are so shut the **** up.Amen!

BainesHOF
05-28-2008, 02:39 AM
Cabrera has been a major disappointment with his dumb and strangely out-of-sync play. Now he's being a jerk, too. It's time to cut our losses and move him for whatever we can get for him.

I don't find the latest "prank" played on Anderson funny either. Why would anyone think dumping a bucket of basically sewage on a teammate funny? This is especially strange coming off the mocking of Anderson by playing a video of him working out on the scoreboard during the last homestand. The guy finally seems to be turning the corner on the field and his teammates are repeatedly messing with him. The first time it can be a joke. The second time is cruel. Maybe Thome is jealous that Anderson is hitting better than him.

SluggersAway
05-28-2008, 02:50 AM
I told you folks.

He just does not want to be here for whatever reason, it is becoming more abundantly clear day by day.

forrestg
05-28-2008, 05:33 AM
It is Ozzie"s problem. I love to do practical jokes myself. But to a major league ball player they are on stage all the time...Even after they retire.. These players get a lot more money than us fans will ever see. I think it is a little late when the manager has to explain things like the dolls, Thome's garbage on BA, Cabreras calling the press box Cabreras tantrums. We are just fans we don't want to hear and certainly don't want to see anything other than a well oiled machine winning game after game. Each of fans would give anything to be doing what each of our heros on the field is doing..So could Ozzie please be a little less of the bad babysitter and get these guys to act like professionals.. Bench Cabrera chastize Thome even Swish when he needs it... We have the players we need them to fight to win not fight amonst themselves.. That is where Ozzie and KW come in.

Lillian
05-28-2008, 07:19 AM
I didn't think much of it at the time, but the other day Cabrera was quoted as saying that Mike Scioscia was the best manager he ever had. Ozzie just laughed it off, and agreed with him.
While it's probably a fair assessment of Scioscia, it might be yet another hint of Cabrera's longing for his former team and city.
I think the only one who wishes the Sox hadn't made that deal as much as Mr. Cabrera does, is me!!!! On second thought, maybe a few people in the Sox organization may be regretting it as well.
The best thing about that deal is that he's Type A vs. Garland, who is only a Type B.

Lillian
05-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Here's the full text of his comments:

On Angels manager Mike Scioscia:
With all the respect to all of the managers in the big leagues, hands down heís the best manager. Heís the most intelligent, smart guy in the big leagues right now. Any team that you give to him is going to turn into a team thatís going to win a lot of ball games. Heís a great guy. Heís extremely smart.
He teaches you how to outsmart your opponent. You canít do better than that. I donít care how big you are or how strong or how good your abilities are to play baseball. If you can outsmart the other team, youíve got an advantage.
On his time with the Angels:
I didnít think I was ever going to say this before but I really miss the place. I really miss my ex-teammates. Those guys were great to me. The fans here are probably the best fans in baseball right now. I really miss it. Slowly, Iím making the transition to Chicago.

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm looking forward to the extra draft picks we'll receive after offering him arbitration; he won't accept it.

I'm looking forward to Ramirez and Richar as the double play combo next year.

In the meantime, I'd like to see Cabrera truly be a mercenary and hit .350 for the rest of the season, and then get the hell out of town.

Bucky F. Dent
05-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Hitmen:

Lip

IMO, it will look like Ramirez at short, Richar at second....How soon is up to KW.

southside rocks
05-28-2008, 09:07 AM

Same here.

The good thing is that between Uribe, Ramirez and Richar (when he is healthy again), the Sox have 2B/SS covered for the time being and won't be left in the lurch if and when Cabrera is moved.

I for one won't miss OC. There have been a few times when a play at second was possible but no one was covering; the SS is the captain of the infield, and I think OC isn't doing a very good job for the Sox at all. Let him take his discontent and be on his way. I hope he ends up in Pittsburgh or Seattle.

SoxGirl4Life
05-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Same here.

The good thing is that between Uribe, Ramirez and Richar (when he is healthy again), the Sox have 2B/SS covered for the time being and won't be left in the lurch if and when Cabrera is moved.

I for one won't miss OC. There have been a few times when a play at second was possible but no one was covering; the SS is the captain of the infield, and I think OC isn't doing a very good job for the Sox at all. Let him take his discontent and be on his way. I hope he ends up in Pittsburgh or Seattle.

Amen.

He showed up Ozzie by saying Mike Scocia was the best manager he played for. And Ozzie had to actually answer that question on-air on the Fox broadcast. Give me a break.

angiew
05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
OC is a ****ing crybaby. He needs to shut the hell up about Ozzie not having his back, and worry about why he sucks so damn bad at the plate. He's only shown me that he's a whiney bitch who thinks of himself first...that is NOT the sign of a leader. He's not the only player that's in a "funk"...he's just the only one going boohoo to the press. Swisher is in a serious slump right now, but I don't see him running to the phone about his errors. And all this bad press is the last thing we need right now. The team needs to come together and fight to stay in the hunt...they do NOT need to be fielding questions about this middle school drama.:angry:

MsSoxVixen22
05-28-2008, 09:38 AM
It sounds like OC just got himself a one way ticket out of Chicago. He will be gone after this year. We don't need something as petty as OC worrying about his stats to take the focus off what's most important-winning games and gettting into the playoffs. Why couldn't OC have waited till the game was over to call the box? I know KW won't put up with this type of bull**** and I agree w/Ozzie. You don't all have to be friends but on the field, you're family w/the same common goal. As for Dotel and the conditioning coach fighting, maybe he said something to Dotel about all the junk in his trunk?

SoxGirl4Life
05-28-2008, 09:41 AM
It sounds like OC just got himself a one way ticket out of Chicago. He will be gone after this year. We don't need something as petty as OC worrying about his stats to take the focus off what's most important-winning games and gettting into the playoffs. Why couldn't OC have waited till the game was over to call the box? I know KW won't put up with this type of bull**** and I agree w/Ozzie. You don't all have to be friends but on the field, you're family w/the same common goal. As for Dotel and the conditioning coach fighting, maybe he said something to Dotel about all the junk in his trunk?

As long as Dotel can strike out the side with the bases loaded, I don't really care about the junk in his trunk.. lol.

October26
05-28-2008, 09:41 AM
OC is a ****ing crybaby. He needs to shut the hell up about Ozzie not having his back, and worry about why he sucks so damn bad at the plate. He's only shown me that he's a whiney bitch who thinks of himself first...that is NOT the sign of a leader. He's not the only player that's in a "funk"...he's just the only one going boohoo to the press. Swisher is in a serious slump right now, but I don't see him running to the phone about his errors. And all this bad press is the last thing we need right now. The team needs to come together and fight to stay in the hunt...they do NOT need to be fielding questions about this middle school drama.:angry:

Absolutely and Amen! The Sox do not need this middle school drama at all. As Ozzie said, everybody has to pull on the same rope. I have a sick feeling in my stomach this morning as I realize that we gave up Jon Garland for this Cabrera crybaby. :angry:

BTW - Is there any further information this morning on the Dotel - conditioning coach - fight thing?

btrain929
05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Cabrera has been a major disappointment with his dumb and strangely out-of-sync play. Now he's being a jerk, too. It's time to cut our losses and move him for whatever we can get for him.

I don't find the latest "prank" played on Anderson funny either. Why would anyone think dumping a bucket of basically sewage on a teammate funny? This is especially strange coming off the mocking of Anderson by playing a video of him working out on the scoreboard during the last homestand. The guy finally seems to be turning the corner on the field and his teammates are repeatedly messing with him. The first time it can be a joke. The second time is cruel. Maybe Thome is jealous that Anderson is hitting better than him.

Yeah, 2 draft picks for him next year.

soxfan13
05-28-2008, 10:01 AM

Here's the latest in the Tribune. Cabrera complaining about not having Ozzie's support. Terrific.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080527-orlando-cabrera-ozzie-guillen-white-sox,1,2111738.story

Its been in the Times the last 2 days also, its not only the trib reporting it. IMO Cabrera comes out looking like an *******.

MsSoxVixen22
05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
As long as Dotel can strike out the side with the bases loaded, I don't really care about the junk in his trunk.. lol.

I know, I was kidding. I forgot to put the last part in teal. :D:

oeo
05-28-2008, 10:09 AM

According to Anderson, he does a lot of pranking himself.

Everybody feel sorry for BA. :whiner:

oeo
05-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah, 2 draft picks for him next year.

If he becomes more of a problem than a help, then we can't wait that long. This team has a serious shot at the playoffs...I don't want to wait around for some draft picks if Cabrera is going to screw a good thing up.

Screw the draft picks. I'll take another shot at the World Series.

WhiteSox5187
05-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, this isn't good. I thought this clubhouse was supposed to have great chemistry.

OC just doesn't want to be here, simple as that. I don't know if he whined like this on other teams, but it's blatantly obvious he doesn't want to be here. However since we don't really have a better option at short, TS for OC.

oeo
05-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, this isn't good. I thought this clubhouse was supposed to have great chemistry.

Just because OC is a little bitch does not mean the team lacks good chemistry. Sounds like one bad apple.

btrain929
05-28-2008, 10:27 AM
If he becomes more of a problem than a help, then we can't wait that long. This team has a serious shot at the playoffs...I don't want to wait around for some draft picks if Cabrera is going to screw a good thing up.

Screw the draft picks. I'll take another shot at the World Series.

Well do you really want Richar and Ramirez as your middle tandem in a playoff race? That's a bit shaky.

Hopefully once Cabrera gets back to hitting (which he has recently), and doesn't make errors so he has nothing to call the booth about, he'll be happy to be on a team in a playoff race and he'll shut his mouth. THEN we can get the picks for him.

If he keeps running his mouth and turns out to be the Jack Parkman of our clubhouse, then yeah he should be gone.

southside rocks
05-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Well do you really want Richar and Ramirez as your middle tandem in a playoff race? That's a bit shaky.

I wouldn't write Juan Uribe out of this picture just yet.

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2008, 11:11 AM
I'll get blasted for this, but I'm again suggesting the Sox trade Cabrera to the Dodgers for Juan Pierre.

Cabrera fills in at SS while Furcal heals, and LA gets rid of Pierre's contract.

The Sox get rid of Cabrera and get a real leadoff hitter.

Win-win for everyone.

Daver
05-28-2008, 11:14 AM
I'll get blasted for this, but I'm again suggesting the Sox trade Cabrera to the Dodgers for Juan Pierre.

Cabrera fills in at SS while Furcal heals, and LA gets rid of Pierre's contract.

Win-win for everyone.

Juan Pierre doesn't play SS.

Lillian
05-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Win-win for everyone.

I wouldn't mind that, but where would Pierre play?
Would the Dodgers do it?

Jaysox
05-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Win-win for everyone.

Doesn't he play centerfield? We already have an abundance of outfielders.. though the speed would be nice.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Doesn't he play centerfield? We already have an abundance of outfielders.. though the speed would be nice.

Pierre has been playing left field this year. But he can play CF also.

Positives:
True lead off hitter
Speed on the basepaths

Negatives:
His arm is weaker than my sisters
We have too many OF's.
Makes more money than JR would like to pay him.

Craig Grebeck
05-28-2008, 11:49 AM

Win-win for everyone.
You're a broken record Frater.

1. Why would they acquire a shortstop to only plug a temporary hole?
2. Why on earth would this team want Juan Pierre?
2a. Where the hell would Juan Pierre play?
3. On what planet is Juan Pierre a good baseball player?
4. How can you possibly justify the notion that Juan Pierre > 2 high draft picks for an organization that has almost no talent in the minor leagues?

btrain929
05-28-2008, 12:14 PM

Win-win for everyone.

In addition to Furcal, they have Chin Lu Hu who is a top prospect SS. Acquiring a SS is not something they are looking into.

harwar
05-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Cabrera has been dogging it since day one.
He seems to be a emotionally weak individual and judging by his body language he appears to be miserable.
Its never easy when your transferred or traded,as was the case here,and maybe he is homesick for his former team,but sometimes you just have to tough it out and do your job.
I am extremely disappointed in him.

JB98
05-28-2008, 12:38 PM
According to Anderson, he does a lot of pranking himself.

Everybody feel sorry for BA. :whiner:

LOL. I really doubt Anderson is even upset by the prank Thome played on him. In fact, BA is probably plotting his revenge right now.

Only WSI can make a big deal of something like this.

Scottzilla
05-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I dont think hes been so horrible on the field, but he is definitely starting to sound like a jerk. First there was the Renteria thing, then the Sciosa love, now hes dissing the fans. I mean how dense can you be to not say the fans of the team you currently play for are the best???

TomBradley72
05-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Pierre has been playing left field this year. But he can play CF also.

Positives:
True lead off hitter
Speed on the basepaths

Negatives:
His arm is weaker than my sisters
We have too many OF's.
Makes more money than JR would like to pay him.

More negatives....so Swisher sits on the bench permanently and we further stunt Anderson's development. Not a good move.

WhiteSox5187
05-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I dont think hes been so horrible on the field, but he is definitely starting to sound like a jerk. First there was the Renteria thing, then the Sciosa love, now hes dissing the fans. I mean how dense can you be to not say the fans of the team you currently play for are the best???
If he thought things were rough here before, they're going to get a lot worse after he just dissed Sox fans everywhere. Now he HAS to produce in order to avoid being booed. We'll tolerate slumps (so long as the guy has a proven track record), but we won't tolerate a bad attitude.

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Juan Pierre doesn't play SS.

Where did I say he would play SS?

I'd have him DH.

Craig Grebeck
05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Where did I say he would play SS?

I'd have him DH.
What do you do with Thome? He has earned the benefit of the doubt.

WhiteSox5187
05-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Just because OC is a little bitch does not mean the team lacks good chemistry. Sounds like one bad apple.
One bad apple can ruin the whole barrell. It's amazing how much one guy with a bad attitude can bring down a bunch of other guys with good attitudes. But I don't know if that will be the case. It just seems odd that the day OC and Ozzie get into a tiff Dotel goes after a trainer. But I'm sure this happens a lot to teams throughout the season.

Carolina Kenny
05-28-2008, 03:42 PM
As a former Gold Glove Shortstop for the White Sox I think that Ozzie would love to have a shortstop who plays the game the way he used to play it.

Urbribaby is not that guy. OC would seem to fit the mold skill wise but he will always consider himself an Angel and not a White Sox. Unless he has a attitude adjustment, He Gone.

Ozzie and Kenny must continue their search for the next great Sox shortstop in the mold of Carresquel, Aparicio and Ozzie.

JohnTucker0814
05-28-2008, 03:44 PM
No way should we trade this guy away... let him play out this year, hopefully he will continue to give it his all on the field, offer him arbitration, he declines, we get the 1st round pick of whoever signs him and hopefully that team picks 6th! :smile:

Lip Man 1
05-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Regarding Orlando. It's clear he's gone after this season, at least the Sox will get a draft pick for whomever signs this head case. If memory serves both Kenny and Ozzie were both very laudatory on him right after the trade and in the spring.

They talked about his leadership, ability to execute fundamentals and defense. What more does Cabrera want? To have his rear end kissed in public?

If this is an example of his "leadership" then nothing more needs to be said, because his fundamentals have been atrocious (even by White Sox standards). Every time he runs the bases he's usually out and he couldn't execute a sacrifice bunt to save his life. And his defense has been average certainly nothing like a "Gold Glover" (Maybe that's why he's so upset at the "official" scorers?)

Here's a memo to you Orlando, don't put the scorer in a situation where he has to rule your screw up an error...make the play and all is well.

One final thought. If you put up Hall of Fame numbers like Frank Thomas you can be stat conscious and a little bit of an egomaniac. Orlando Cabrera is not by any stretch a Hall of Famer. If this continues, Kenny will not put up with it, he'll get rid of him for a bag of balls or ten maple bats if he has to.

Honesty, the gall of this guy. If he didn't want to be traded to the White Sox he should have not reported and forced the Sox to do something back in the off season.

He deserves all that will be rained down upon him verbally when the Sox come home next week.

Lip

hawkjt
05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I have not been happy with his offense and his defense has been just ok. But I hope the Sox fans do not get on his case and make it worse. He is coming out of the hitting funk a bit...he did hit .301 with 86 RBI's last year and if he gets hot enough to get back to .300 that means he will be hitting .320 the rest of the year. I know he will be gone after the year but hey, no reason for him not to have a salary drive year that will boost the Sox also.

Lets not overreact here. If the fans start booing him...it could really get into his head and hurt the Sox on the field. He is a professional, the other players are pros...they need to be able to perform on the field,first and foremost. Chemistry is winning...and winning is chemistry.

Tragg
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM

AHHHHHHH

getonbckthr
05-28-2008, 04:35 PM
OC- Turning into a real piece of ****.
Trade for Pierre- Forget it LA needs him with Jones out 4-8 weeks.
Joke on Anderson- If they didnt like the kid they wouldn't want anything to do with him. If anything this is a sign of acceptance.

KenBerryGrab
05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
If they didnt like the kid they wouldn't want anything to do with him. If anything this is a sign of acceptance.

Exactly! The kid is earning his stripes at last.

Optipessimism
05-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Regarding Orlando. It's clear he's gone after this season, at least the Sox will get a draft pick for whomever signs this head case. If memory serves both Kenny and Ozzie were both very laudatory on him right after the trade and in the spring.

They talked about his leadership, ability to execute fundamentals and defense. What more does Cabrera want? To have his rear end kissed in public?

If this is an example of his "leadership" then nothing more needs to be said, because his fundamentals have been atrocious (even by White Sox standards). Every time he runs the bases he's usually out and he couldn't execute a sacrifice bunt to save his life. And his defense has been average certainly nothing like a "Gold Glover" (Maybe that's why he's so upset at the "official" scorers?)

Here's a memo to you Orlando, don't put the scorer in a situation where he has to rule your screw up an error...make the play and all is well.

One final thought. If you put up Hall of Fame numbers like Frank Thomas you can be stat conscious and a little bit of an egomaniac. Orlando Cabrera is not by any stretch a Hall of Famer. If this continues, Kenny will not put up with it, he'll get rid of him for a bag of balls or ten maple bats if he has to.

Honesty, the gall of this guy. If he didn't want to be traded to the White Sox he should have not reported and forced the Sox to do something back in the off season.

He deserves all that will be rained down upon him verbally when the Sox come home next week.

Lip
Great post.

DickAllen72
05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
If he thought things were rough here before, they're going to get a lot worse after he just dissed Sox fans everywhere.
He dissed Sox fans now??? I missed that one. What exactly did he say now?

When they first acquired Cabrera I was happy because I always had the impression that he was a smart, hard nosed winning type ballplayer who was a tough out and played gold glove defense. Above all, I thought he was this great team "leader". Boy, was I wrong on all counts!

If KW can get any reasonable value for him, trade his ass and cut losses. Screw the draft picks.

hawkjt
05-28-2008, 06:14 PM
OC did not diss the fans. Now, clearly he upset Kenny and Ozzie but they are paid to be upset. Lets not blow this out of proportion...calling the scorer during the game is bad form but not an impeachable offense.
Saying Scosia is a great manager is no big deal..ozzie agreed.

Nothing to see here...move on.

comet2k
05-28-2008, 06:40 PM
OC did not diss the fans. Now, clearly he upset Kenny and Ozzie but they are paid to be upset. Lets not blow this out of proportion...calling the scorer during the game is bad form but not an impeachable offense.
Saying Scosia is a great manager is no big deal..ozzie agreed.

Nothing to see here...move on.

Move on? That would end this gut-wrenching soap opera for all of us! Then what would we talk about?

Daver
05-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Move on? That would end this gut-wrenching soap opera for all of us! Then what would we talk about?

We could discuss the pros and cons of instant replay in baseball.

BadBobbyJenks
05-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Grown men will talk this out and I don't think it will be an issue. This clubhouse seems to have to good of chemistry to let this guy effect them.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
05-28-2008, 07:12 PM
pro- getting a call right for a homerun

cons- cost to install, slows up the game, breaking tradition
whats next, intant replay for balls and strikes? I'd rather yell at my TV when they blow a call or gloat about blown calls that go my way. I like the human error element. Its always been there in baseball. The umpire's decisions are a part of the game.

It's Dankerific
05-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Anyone find out what plays OC called on? I mean, if it led to a run, he's basically trying to stick the pitcher with an ER so that he doesnt have an E on his baseball card. I wasn't happy when we traded for him, wont be sad when the door hits him on the way out. How glad am I (and maybe we) that we didnt sign him to an extension.

fquaye149
05-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Anyone find out what plays OC called on? I mean, if it led to a run, he's basically trying to stick the pitcher with an ER so that he doesnt have an E on his baseball card. I wasn't happy when we traded for him, wont be sad when the door hits him on the way out. How glad am I (and maybe we) that we didnt sign him to an extension.

Either way he's trying to give his teammates and extra hit.

What a jerkoff.

Play the ****ing game, you pud. Let the scorers and the baseball card collectors worry about stats.

hose
05-28-2008, 11:44 PM

:thud:

BadBobbyJenks
05-29-2008, 12:12 AM
From reading this article, it sounds like this controversy is just about over.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080528-chicago-white-sox-cleveland-indians,1,7374283.story

No OC quotes, but Ozzie did his best to squash it.

fquaye149
05-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Looks like Ozzie taking the high road whilst Cabrera continues to be a doosh

russ99
05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Looks like Ozzie taking the high road whilst Cabrera continues to be a doosh

I hope Cabrera lets this go away. We need him this season.

But I also wonder if this is a reason why he's not played more than 1-2 seasons for each team he's been with...

Zisk77
05-29-2008, 10:52 AM
:thud:
How about to the Cards for Reyes or a prospect. I believe the cards are out of options and patience with Reyes and in need of a ss. It would also hinder the Cubs chances of winning a div. title. :rolleyes:

Although we really don't need a starter at the moment, but maybe he can replace Wasserman and then flip him later?

Would hate to watch oppents gp 1st to 3b every time the hit a single to center with a runner on 1st with Pierre in center. Maybe, wouldn't be to bad if somehow you could flip Thome and Dh Pierre, but wouldn't you rather have Fields DH?

I understand where you are coming from. I think the most important thing this team lacks is a lead off hitter who can get on base and steal the opponents blind. BTW the tribe needs this as well, so Grady could bat 3 and drive people in. Hopefully they never get that person.:cool:

Lip Man 1
05-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Interesting point brought up in this column today. The fact that no teammates have come out in support of him.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/976610,CST-SPT-deluca29.article

Lip

MetroPD
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Don't know how that would lead to an altercation between Dotel and AT.
It was probably Dotels mushrooms and AT's tobacco. They blamed eachother for them being missing.

hose
05-29-2008, 06:13 PM
How about to the Cards for Reyes or a prospect. I believe the cards are out of options and patience with Reyes and in need of a ss. It would also hinder the Cubs chances of winning a div. title. :rolleyes:

Although we really don't need a starter at the moment, but maybe he can replace Wasserman and then flip him later.

I would rather let all this blow over and keep OC for the rest of the year and not blow the sandwich pick after he goes free agent.

Reyes would work for me. Kenny could probably get him cheap.

BadBobbyJenks
05-30-2008, 04:04 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080529-orlando-cabrera-ozzie-guillen-white-sox,1,7485692.story

Hopefully the last we have to hear about the Oz/OC Soap Opera.

At the bottom there is an update on the hall of famer DLS, future Ace Gio Gonazlez and future batting champion Ryan Sweeney.

If Swisher ever it gets it going it will be a KW steal.

The Immigrant
05-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Interesting point brought up in this column today. The fact that no teammates have come out in support of him.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/976610,CST-SPT-deluca29.article

Lip

Whatever. Did any of his teammates speak up to criticize him? I didn't think so.

The only reason the Sun-Times is still pushing this nonsense is because Cabrera has now decided to boycott De Luca and Cowley. Good for him. The latest hatchet job from those two clowns is a byline in today's paper suggesting that Cabrera is the 4th best shortstop on this team. How these two have jobs writing about baseball is beyond me, but it speaks volumes about the "quality" of the sports media in this town.

Meanwhile, Cabrera is hitting .273 in the month of May, has 10 hits in his last 23 at bats, and has hit doubles in 5 of the last 7 games. If he keeps hitting like this, I'll chip in some money to get him a bluetooth set he can wear during games to have instant access to the official scorer.

Vernam
05-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Whatever. Did any of his teammates speak up to criticize him? I didn't think so.Maybe not for attribution, but according to Cowley, at least one veteran player approached him to send a message to Cabrera through the press. I'm not naive about how these things work, but I wonder whether that player or players talked to Cabrera first. If not, they might have avoided a big mess by trying that before running to Cowley.

The only reason the Sun-Times is still pushing this nonsense is because Cabrera has now decided to boycott De Luca and Cowley. Good for him. I have to agree with you. Cowley is looking extremely petty and vindictive. Check out his Twitter entries mocking Cabrera for not talking to him, as if snubbing some reporter is a sin against humanity. :rolleyes:

Cabrera screwed up, he got called out, and Ozzie dealt with it. That should be the end now unless Tailgunner Joe can't get over his own ego.

Vernam

Lip Man 1
05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
You should read his piece on this today:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/978881,CST-SPT-joe30.article

Lip

The Immigrant
05-30-2008, 12:04 PM
You should read his piece on this today

Nobody should read that garbage. It is petty and unprofessional.

DickAllen72
05-30-2008, 05:14 PM
You should read his piece on this today:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/978881,CST-SPT-joe30.article

Lip
You know, I've been disappointed in Cabrera's on-field performance with the Sox. I had much higher expectations of him and was actually happy when they traded for him. After hearing about the recent clubhouse issues, I've been even more critical of him.

However, this latest article by Cowley is uncalled for. It is plain that Cowley is being vindictive and petty. Cowley is a bigger ******* than Cabrera, and he always was. He's plainly trying to turn everyone against Cabrera now simply because he won't talk to the Sun-Times.

Cowley has a history of spreading gossip and always trying to stir up trouble within the Sox Clubhouse and the fanbase. I never understood why any Sox players talk to him.

Sockinchisox
05-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Cowley says Ozzie and OC had a closed door meeting and are on the same page.

Ozzie also asked OC to get to know his teammates better.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Dick:

That story is nothing compared to the fall out between Joe and WSI!

Lip

Daver
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Dick:

That story is nothing compared to the fall out between Joe and WSI!

Lip

Is he still mad about that?