05-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Ugly.

itsnotrequired
05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
thome sux

JB98
05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Positives tonight:
Ehren Wassermann ate up three innings and saved the bullpen for tomorrow.

Negatives tonight:
Everything else.

Just one bad game. Forget about it.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Ugly. BUT just one game in May.

Better effort with the regulars tomorrow and we'll be fine.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 09:59 PM
thome sux

lol.. you just wanted to be the first to say that!

MCHSoxFan
05-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Positives tonight:

Negatives tonight:
Everything else.

To me, that is the proper attitude to have after tonight. EVERY time the White Sox lose a game, I just say to myself: In 2005, the White Sox still lost 63 games!

GET EM TOMORROW FLOYD & CO!!!

kevingrt
05-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Positives tonight:

Negatives tonight:
Everything else.

That positive is huge in more ways then one. It gives Wassermann confidence. It shows the team and him that he can stretch out and be effective versus righties and lefties. We have a full bullpen tomorrow minus Ehren. Very solid job by E.

LongLiveFisk
05-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Wow, good thing I missed it. So what's going on with Thome anyway? :?::scratch:

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Anyone want to guess the tenor of the Ranger's post-game show?

sox1970
05-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Wassermann got his ERA down to 14.85... :gulp:

JB98

There will be much ranting and raving about Buehrle. People will insist that the Sox are hiding an injury with Mark. People will want to release Konerko.

The "Blame Thome First Society" gets the night off, however, since Big Jim did not play.

southsideirish71
So Konerko's hand still bother him? He can't catch a thrown ball, and he cant hit still and flinches when the pitcher buries it in on his hands.

Frater Perdurabo
Meh. Ugh. Let it go. Let's just not speculate, not flame, not complain, pack up our computers and go to bed early.

October26
Yeah tonite was bad (Buehrle, Paulie, Alexei, ...). Disappointed to see Mark Buehrle with a record of 2 wins and 6 losses. It has not been a good year for him so far. Let's get 'em tomorrow. Remember the early start for the game tomorrow (11:05 am Central)

sox1970

Got get 'em tomorrow. :dunno:

JB98

Night off against a left-handed pitcher.

WhiteSox5187
05-27-2008, 10:04 PM
He didn't even play tonight...let's not make any habits tonight...go out there tommorrow and get them.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Bullpen getting rest is huge.

They've worked a TON the past 10 to 12 games. And they've been perfect. Ehren's run was unearned, so they're still on a 0 earned run streak.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Got get 'em tomorrow. :dunno:

Oh, Rongey will have that tone. The callers however, are another story.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
05-27-2008, 10:08 PM
we'll get a great start from gavin tommorow and bounce back:D:

LongLiveFisk
05-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Night off against a left-handed pitcher.

Ah, ok....probably a good idea (despite the outcome!) :mad:

October26
05-27-2008, 10:09 PM

I like the way you think!

sox1970
05-27-2008, 10:10 PM
I hope PK is sitting tomorrow. Maybe give Wise a start (que FOBA).

Medford Bobby
05-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Can the Sox still win the division with a huge down year from Buehrle?:o:

GlassSox
05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
FUGLY! :angry:

Ok this one's behind us, now let's get them tomorrow night.

soltrain21
05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Mark is just...I don't know. He needs to step up.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:12 PM

Yes. Its May.

sox1970
05-27-2008, 10:13 PM

If Buehrle pitches 200 innings, and gets 20 quality starts, he'll be a fine #4 or #5 starter the rest his career. That's what he is in 2008.

Danks and Floyd are pitching well enough to contend, but ultimately they'll need Vazquez and Contreras to be the aces down the stretch.

JB98
05-27-2008, 10:15 PM

At some point, Buehrle will need to step up. I love what Floyd and Danks are doing, but they are young pitchers and it is reasonable to assume that they will struggle at some point during the year.

southsideirish71
05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
At some point, Buehrle will need to step up. I love what Floyd and Danks are doing, but they are young pitchers and it is reasonable to assume that they will struggle at some point during the year.

Our offense is more of a worry than one pitcher. We are near the top of the AL in pitching. If Mark Buerhle is your worst pitcher, you have nothing to worry about.

The offense needs to score like a real offense. The last time we scored more than 4 runs was last wednesday. We have scored 4 or more 3 times since May 14th. Its time for the offense to hit, and stop stranding the runners. The right side of the field is not out for our power hitters. They act like pulling the ball is the only way to hit a ball. If they start to hit the ball where its pitched, they might get something center cut later one. But until they prove that they can adjust, its away city.

Our pitching should be commended for how great they have been. Bad starts will happen. Our offense has been one bad start for most of the year now.

Soxman219
05-27-2008, 10:21 PM

I believe so too, Gavin pitches well against AL Central teams, so I'm confident that the Sox will win tomorrow if the offense starts hitting Westbrook hard early and often.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Our offense is more of a worry than one pitcher. We are near the top of the AL in pitching. If Mark Buerhle is your worst pitcher, you have nothing to worry about.

The offense needs to score like a real offense. The last time we scored more than 4 runs was last wednesday. We have scored 4 or more 3 times since May 14th. Its time for the offense to hit, and stop stranding the runners. The right side of the field is not out for our power hitters. They act like pulling the ball is the only way to hit a ball. If they start to hit the ball where its pitched, they might get something center cut later one. But until they prove that they can adjust, its away city.

Our pitching should be commended for how great they have been. Bad starts will happen. Our offense has been one bad start for most of the year now.

We scored 6 yesterday.

But I agree. The stranded baserunners and the lack of clutch hits, coupled with the double plays are maddening.

southside rocks
05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
That positive is huge in more ways then one. It gives Wassermann confidence. It shows the team and him that he can stretch out and be effective versus righties and lefties. We have a full bullpen tomorrow minus Ehren. Very solid job by E.

That was exactly what I thought -- E got a nice stint in there and the rest of the pen got a needed night off. I still think Wasserman is going to be a contributor this year. :D:

Okay, that's all the optimism I can muster tonight.

veeter
05-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Toby Hall looks good.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Mark has struggled in Cleveland if memory serves the past few years, would Ozzie consider shuffling the rotation so he doesn't have to pitch there in the future?

Lip

Madvora
05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't know if I'm not supposed to quote this, but the notes on sportsline say Dotel and conditioning coach Allen Thomas got in a shouting match before the game and had to be separated.
I don't know why that was mentioned in the game recap.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20080527_CHW@CLE

Also, Uribe to AAA for rehab.

EDIT - nevermind, I see another thread about it.

TheOldRoman
05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
The goat of the game is Quentin. He needs to get hits. This team isn't going to win many games with him going 0-fer.

That should only be half teal. A real ****ty performance from Buehrle. Once again, it is horrible hitters (who are mostly cold) torching us. Gutierrez is garbage. Carroll sucks. For some reason we have been giving up big hits to horrible players this year. I guess it is better than giving them up to the best players.

Mark was bad, but the Sox lose this game unless he holds the Indians to 1 run. Quentin was up in two big situations with 2 runners on, and after pretty good ABs, he got himself out. We can't count on him to bat 1.000. After the first time, Dye came up and promptly chased a bad pitch on 1-0, grounding into a doubleplay to end the rally after 2 had scored. After the second time Quentin popped out, Dye took a walk and let Konerko be the hero. No matter how good Laffey's numbers look, his ERA is going to be a lot closer to 6 than 1 by the end of the year. He didn't have his good stuff today, and we let him off the hook.

Just a horrible game. It happens. Hopefully Gavin is on tomorrow and the offense shows up.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:39 PM
The goat of the game is Quentin. He needs to get hits. This team isn't going to win many games with him going 0-fer.

That should only be half teal. A real ****ty performance from Buehrle. Once again, it is horrible hitters (who are mostly cold) torching us. Gutierrez is garbage. Carroll sucks. For some reason we have been giving up big hits to horrible players this year. I guess it is better than giving them up to the best players.

Mark was bad, but the Sox lose this game unless he holds the Indians to 1 run. Quentin was up in two big situations with 2 runners on, and after pretty good ABs, he got himself out. We can't count on him to bat 1.000. After the first time, Dye came up and promptly chased a bad pitch on 1-0, grounding into a doubleplay to end the rally after 2 had scored. After the second time Quentin popped out, Dye took a walk and let Konerko be the hero. No matter how good Laffey's numbers look, his ERA is going to be a lot closer to 6 than 1 by the end of the year. He didn't have his good stuff today, and we let him off the hook.

Just a horrible game. It happens. Hopefully Gavin is on tomorrow and the offense shows up.

Well, I know this is factual about Quentin, but lets give the kid a break. Last thing we need is him feeling ALL the pressure of carrying this team. Its bad news for him and the team if he starts pressing. And pop-ups happen when they're swinging for the fences.

This game was everyone's fault. Just an ugly clunker.

Bucky F. Dent
05-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Let's turn it around tomorrow and take the series!

mccoydp
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Absolute crap game.

Hope that Gavin & the gang give me a White Sox winner for my birthday tomorrow! :gulp:

whitesox901
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Bad game, everyone has em, go get em tommarow

TheOldRoman
05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, I know this is factual about Quentin, but lets give the kid a break. Last thing we need is him feeling ALL the pressure of carrying this team. Its bad news for him and the team if he starts pressing. And pop-ups happen when they're swinging for the fences.

This game was everyone's fault. Just an ugly clunker.
I wasn't blaming Quentin at all. I am just saying other guys need to pick him up. If he goes on to be a hall of famer, he will still make outs 70% of the time. I think Dye's GIDP was a big turning point.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:47 PM
I wasn't blaming Quentin at all. I am just saying other guys need to pick him up. If he goes on to be a hall of famer, he will still make outs 70% of the time. I think Dye's GIDP was a big turning point.

That's what I'm afraid of. The other guys not picking him up and he feels he needs to be the hero like he was on Sunday. You could almost sense it in his at-bats today.

JB98

This is true. We were down 5-2, and we had opportunities with the right guys at the plate.

TCQ, Dye and Paulie all missed chances to get us right back in the game.

Just a rough outing all the way around tonight.

Lip Man 1
Roman:

Can't argue with the overall lack of hitting. We've seen this for a long period of time now.

Scott Reifert on his blog wrote that he thinks the hitting will get better because the weather is starting to get warmer. We'll see soon enough I guess on that one.

Lip

chisoxmike
05-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Roman:

Can't argue with the overall lack of hitting. We've seen this for a long period of time now.

Scott Reifert on his blog wrote that he thinks the hitting will get better because the weather is starting to get warmer. We'll see soon enough I guess on that one.

Lip

They said that last year too.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:51 PM
They said that last year too.

This isn't last year, anymore than its 2005.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:53 PM
AND Kansas City gets a 3 run homer in the bottom of the ninth off Nathan to tie the game at 3!

sox1970
05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
AND Kansas City gets a 3 run homer in the bottom of the ninth off Nathan to tie the game at 3!

Cool. Inside-the-parker.

southsideirish71
05-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Roman:

Lip

I guess the wearing shorts weather over the weekend wasn't hot enough for them to start hitting. I still like the Twins announcers making an observation during the last Twins series against the sox in the dome. They talked about how the sox take batting practice, and marveled on how our batting practice looked like a glorified home run contest, while other teams come in take their cuts, practice hitting to right, and then work on their power. Our guys are working on their home run poses instead of working on making contact. This might be why we get people popping up, GIDPing, and striking out when we get men on.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Cool. Inside-the-parker.

Cool. But Bonderman is no-hitting the Angels?

sox1970
05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Cool. But Bonderman is no-hitting the Angels?

Not anymore.

jabrch
05-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Roman:

Lip - we had 10 hits. Add in 2 walks - that's 12 baserunners.

That's not really an overall lack of hitting.

SoxGirl4Life
05-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Not anymore.

lol.. good.

Lip Man 1
05-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Jab:

I'm referring to the overall team batting average, some very poor individual averages and a lack of situational and or "clutch" (for want of a better word) hitting.

The Sox have been leaving a lot of runners on base, I'm sure you'd agree since at least 2007, maybe as far back as July 2006.

I was not specifically talking about tonight, although having 12 base runners yet only scoring two runs is something of an indictment as well.

Lip

Thome25
05-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Any ideas what's wrong with Buehrle so far this season? Any trends with him?<<<No teal needed....I'm serious because I'm on the outside looking in.

JB98
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Any ideas what's wrong with Buehrle so far this season? Any trends with him?<<<No teal needed....I'm serious because I'm on the outside looking in.

Not getting the ball inside enough on right-handed hitters.

DickAllen72
05-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Roman:

Lip
The problem is you still have to make solid contact for the warm weather to help. The lack of making good contact has been the problem for a few of the Sox' hitters.

champagne030
05-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Toby Hall looks good.

At the plate, he's not being greedy and is looking good. I wish some of the other players on his team would take this approach against a soft-tossing lefty.

Behind the plate, he looks like a fat tub of ****. Plenty of blame to go around tonight, but that was a very piss poor attempt at blocking a pitch in the dirt.

thomas35forever
05-27-2008, 11:18 PM
All the missed chances by the defensive only added fuel to the fire.

No time to fret about this one though. It's Floyd vs. Westbrook tomorrow. Should be an interesting pitching matchup.

SluggersAway
05-27-2008, 11:23 PM
This says it all:

I still like the Twins announcers making an observation during the last Twins series against the sox in the dome. They talked about how the Sox take batting practice, and marveled on how our batting practice looked like a glorified home run contest, while other teams come in take their cuts, practice hitting to right, and then work on their power. Our guys are working on their home run poses instead of working on making contact. This might be why we get people popping up, GIDPing, and striking out when we get men on.

ArkanSox
05-27-2008, 11:38 PM
That grand slam in the bottom of the first was a killer, but the Indians didn't exactly look like world beaters tonight either. The Sox were given chances to tie or take the lead, but not enough clutch hitting and our continued sloppy defense sealed our fate. It was definately a rough night.

Hopefully, tomorow's game will be much better, and our Sox will look a lot sharper. Goodnight, Sox fans.

Arkansox

sox1970
05-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Dewayne Wise is starting in CF tomorrow.

Probably:

Cabrera, Pierzynski, Quentin, Dye, Thome, Crede, Swisher, Ramirez, Wise

oeo
05-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Couldn't see the game, but I'm not going to get all riled up over one blowout. Tomorrow is a new day, and a win means another road series win...I'll take it.

chisoxfanatic
05-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Dewayne Wise is starting in CF tomorrow.

Probably:

Cabrera, Pierzynski, Quentin, Dye, Thome, Crede, Swisher, Ramirez, Wise

That might be a *wise* decision. Get Wise some ABs while the rest of the lineup is pretty regular.

jabrch
05-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Jab:

I'm referring to the overall team batting average, some very poor individual averages and a lack of situational and or "clutch" (for want of a better word) hitting.

The Sox have been leaving a lot of runners on base, I'm sure you'd agree since at least 2007, maybe as far back as July 2006.

I was not specifically talking about tonight, although having 12 base runners yet only scoring two runs is something of an indictment as well.

Lip

Sure - lots of LOB - I agree. But in order to do that, you have to get them on base. What I find odd is that a team who has been amongst the leaders of the league in HR and has also left a lot of men on base. It is odd - that's for sure.

I'm just not convinced the offense as a whole is as bad as some say. It isn't an overall lack of hitting. Hell - I think it is somewhat flukish. We are second in the league in HRs. We are middle of the pack in runs scored. We leave a lot of guys on base (although I haven't seen a statistic to compare us to other teams) but we don't get a lot of hits or walks... It doesn't add up.

I'm not smart enough or experienced enough to understand what the problem is with this team. I don't pretend to be. But I do know that this team is hitting well - overall - and you can measure it with runs scored. Batting average...obp...slg....all sorts of ratios are nice... But ultimately scoring runs is what is important - and there are lots of ways to do it. We are 5 runs away from 5th in runs scored, and only 2 more from 4th. I know it doesn't always feel like it, but the fact is that we have scored enough runs to win a lot of games. We have also pitched well enough to win a lot of games. Coincidentally, we have won a lot of games and are in first place.

The best part of a baseball season is that for a long time (at least a few more months) anything can happen. I think you and I both agree on this though - there is no statistic or set of statistics that will accurately predict that. It will depend on human performances that are unpredictable. Yes - we have left men on base. Yes - we have at times struggled to score enough runs. Yes, we have seen Buehrle at his worst. Sure - McDougal has blown - and Wasserman has looked bad. But we have hit fairly well so far depending on how you measure it. We have scored enough runs to win.

A. Cavatica
05-28-2008, 12:08 AM
That might be a *wise* decision. Get Wise some ABs while the rest of the lineup is pretty regular.

Ugh.

Give BA the start. He's been coming through with the bat more often than not this season.

StillMissOzzie
05-28-2008, 12:10 AM
FUGLY is the right word for tonight's game.
Buehrle lit up early ...again?
Ramirez swiping 2nd and then not knowing how many outs there were?
Is PK's hand bothering him more and more or did he just have his head up his derrierre tonight?
And I know that Quentin can't bail out the rest of the slumpers all the time, but two infield fly rule popups in one game? That's a lotta ducks on the pond to be stranded.

Let's get the rubber match tomorrow morning!

SMO
:angry:

JB98
05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
FUGLY is the right word for tonight's game.
Buehrle lit up early ...again?
Ramirez swiping 2nd and then not knowing how many outs there were?
Is PK's hand bothering him more and more or did he just have his head up his derrierre tonight?
And I know that Quentin can't bail out the rest of the slumpers all the time, but two infield fly rule popups in one game? That's a lotta ducks on the pond to be stranded.

Let's get the rubber match tomorrow morning!

SMO
:angry:

PK had his head up his derrierre on those two defensive miscues. No way an injured right thumb causes a right-handed first baseman to drop a routine throw.

As for the bad throw, well, Paul threw a strike to AJ to get a guy caught in a rundown just last night. The injury shouldn't have affected the throw either.

Just bad plays.

oeo
05-28-2008, 12:30 AM
PK had his head up his derrierre on those two defensive miscues.

He's had his head up his ass all year. He's been pretty bad.

I don't know if he's bringing his struggles at the plate to the field, or what. Whatever it is, it needs to stop. His range has always been bad, but at least before he was making the plays he could get to...he's not doing that anymore, and it actually seems like his range has gotten even worse.

gobears1987
05-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Mark has struggled in Cleveland if memory serves the past few years, would Ozzie consider shuffling the rotation so he doesn't have to pitch there in the future?

LipThank you, you're the first person to mention it. People are going to be jumping up and down about Buehrle, but Cleveland just has his number. He has done very poorly at Cleveland going back to early 2006. He got clobbered in his first start at the Jake (yes I know they changed the name) that year and hasn't pitched well there in a while.

Domeshot17
05-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Thank you, you're the first person to mention it. People are going to be jumping up and down about Buehrle, but Cleveland just has his number. He has done very poorly at Cleveland going back to early 2006. He got clobbered in his first start at the Jake (yes I know they changed the name) that year and hasn't pitched well there in a while.

Lets not make excuses. Mark just got shelled by one of the only offense's as down as ours. His control and his command of the strike zone, which used to make him such a top of the rotation pitcher, are non existent. He is leaving too many pitches in the zone, and pitches like his changeup and cutter are now moving or falling into the zone instead of starting in and falling out. You might get away with that if you throw 95, but when you throw about 87, no chance.

The one thing no one will argue is Mark is trying, just struggling. Some guys you look at and wonder if they care, you know he does.

This game makes you realized how lucky/blessed we have been. If anyone told us before the year Buehrle would be 2nd half 2006 esque, Danks Floyd and Contreras would be our 3 best pitchers, Thome Konerko Swisher and Cabrera would not be hitting their weight, Crede Dye and AJ would just be treading water offensively and the only guy hitting worth a damn was the prospect OF who only got to start because Jerry Owens got hurt would you think we had a shot at first place, or that the season would be over?

If we can get just half these guys who are off back on track, we could be very dangerous.

Scottiehaswheels
05-28-2008, 02:14 AM
If we can get just half these guys who are off back on track, we could be very dangerous.Very true... The question is how long are we going to keep saying this? We said it in '06, '07, and now '08.

:hawk

"Just wait til we hit our stride"

southside rocks
05-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Thank you, you're the first person to mention it. People are going to be jumping up and down about Buehrle, but Cleveland just has his number. He has done very poorly at Cleveland going back to early 2006. He got clobbered in his first start at the Jake (yes I know they changed the name) that year and hasn't pitched well there in a while.

I blame the official scorer. Ozzie doesn't have Mark's back on this!

TomBradley72
05-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I can handle slumping bats...but the "self inflicted wounds" (ie. not knowing # of outs, Paulie's lack of execution, Buehrle's walks, etc.) are a red flag around this team's "mental toughness".

I'll even include going up in the 9th inning and hacking away at the 1st pitch instead of working to get on base and see if you can pull out a big inning. After 5 years of Ozzie/KW....we're a 16" softball team with great pitching....no evidence of focusing on the fundamentals.

Cuck the Fubs
05-28-2008, 10:55 AM
After 5 years of Ozzie/KW....we're a 12" softball team with great pitching....no evidence of focusing on the fundamentals.

Fixed it for ya :redneck

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
the team left 9 runners on base. I told some days ago that with the lack of offense the ptching staff are obligued to keep very concentrated over the whole game.

As we saw last nigth, a really weak 1st inning from Buehrle was enough to lost the game. Definitely they have to poduce more runs to keep winning.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-28-2008, 11:11 AM
the team left 9 runners on base. I told some days ago that with the lack of offense the ptching staff are obligued to keep very concentrated over the whole game.

As we saw last nigth, a really weak 1st inning from Buehrle was enough to lost the game. Definitely they have to poduce more runs to keep winning.

The team looked flat after that first inning. Buehrle threw scoreless innings after that but that 5-0 lead felt more like 50-0.

Time to get the next game which starts in less than an hour! :o:

soxfan21
05-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Last night's game just flat out sucked. Hopefully we can pull it together today, get a good start out of Floyd and score some runs and get back into the win column.

Foulke You
05-28-2008, 11:28 AM

As we saw last night, a really weak 1st inning from Buehrle was enough to lost the game. Definitely they have to produce more runs to keep winning.
Don't forget they also stranded a bunch of runners on Monday's game too. 5 runs on 16 hits! When you get 16 hits, you should score more than 5. Last night was 2 runs on 10 hits. No question that runners left on base is the biggest problem with this team right now.

kitekrazy
05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I prefer this beating over a 1-0 or 2-1 loss.