PDA

View Full Version : When batting what does Swisher look at?

Stoky44
05-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Has anyone noticed before every single pitch Swisher looks upward. His head does not move just his eyes look up. At first I thought he was just glancing at the score board. However he does this before every pitch and at every ballpark even if the scoreboard is not in CF. I would say he may be reading the how the OF is setting up but it seems kind of late right before the pitch, I would think he would do this as he steps into the box. It seems like he moves his eyes to focus on something 20 feet or so above the pitcher. Then right before the pitch you can see him readjust his eyes to the pitchers level.

Madvora
05-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I've noticed that all season, but they finally mentioned it on the Fox broadcast this Saturday.
They said he just looks up to the sky to clear his focus.

Obviously he needs another approach. This superstition isn't working.

Corlose 15
05-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Has anyone noticed before every single pitch Swisher looks upward. His head does not move just his eyes look up. At first I thought he was just glancing at the score board. However he does this before every pitch and at every ballpark even if the scoreboard is not in CF. I would say he may be reading the how the OF is setting up but it seems kind of late right before the pitch, I would think he would do this as he steps into the box. It seems like he moves his eyes to focus on something 20 feet or so above the pitcher. Then right before the pitch you can see him readjust his eyes to the pitchers level.

I've wondered that too. The fox announcers on saturday talked about it and they said he's probably just breaking his concentration on the pitcher so he doesn't over concentrate and affect his ability to pick up the pitch.

So essentially he looks at something non-baseball related to give his eyes a break and then re-focuses on the pitcher/ball.

Stoky44
05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
I've wondered that too. The fox announcers on saturday talked about it and they said he's probably just breaking his concentration on the pitcher so he doesn't over concentrate and affect his ability to pick up the pitch.

So essentially he looks at something non-baseball related to give his eyes a break and then re-focuses on the pitcher/ball.

Oh I missed the Sat Fox broadcast. Listend to the radio, thanks.

Maybe Swish should try "over concentrating" I am sure his BA will not get much worse.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
I've noticed that all season, but they finally mentioned it on the Fox broadcast this Saturday.
They said he just looks up to the sky to clear his focus.

Obviously he needs another approach. This superstition isn't working.

He's been doing that for several years now and it always worked before. It's funny, when a guy is in a slump everything he does is under a microscope.

http://ladybaseball.mlblogs.com/the_green_and_gold_gal/images/swisher.jpg
"What are you looking at?"

btrain929
05-27-2008, 05:51 PM
I noticed this since spring training, and that was my educated guess. If you stare at a blue sky or a black night, when you look back into the pitcher, the white ball will stick out that much more. Now if he does it to clear his mind or something of that sort, then that's an extra benefit. But the reason I stated makes the most baseball-sense.

kittle42
05-27-2008, 05:54 PM
I just wish he'd start looking at the ball while swinging.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-27-2008, 05:55 PM

ZING! :redneck

bryPt
05-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Swish has a Black Label Society tat? Interesting. Rock on my friend.

Corlose 15
05-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I noticed this since spring training, and that was my educated guess. If you stare at a blue sky or a black night, when you look back into the pitcher, the white ball will stick out that much more. Now if he does it to clear his mind or something of that sort, then that's an extra benefit. But the reason I stated makes the most baseball-sense.

:offtopic:

I just wanted to comment on your grades in your sig. I'd say Contreras deserves better than a B+ and Owens and Richar (especially Richar) deserve Incompletes rather than F's since their situations are mostly due to injury.

Ok, carry one with the Swisher conversation.:D:

btrain929
05-27-2008, 06:09 PM
:offtopic:

I just wanted to comment on your grades in your sig. I'd say Contreras deserves better than a B+ and Owens and Richar (especially Richar) deserve Incompletes rather than F's since their situations are mostly due to injury.

Ok, carry one with the Swisher conversation.:D:

Haha. Hard to argue with you on either of those. I think Contreras' last start bumps him up to an A-. And I was trying to think of the right grading for Owens/Richar. I kept coming up with N/A, but knew that wasn't correct. Incomplete is what I was looking for.

Thank you kind sir :gulp:

dakuda
05-27-2008, 06:21 PM

HIs grandmother was huge in his life. Her name was Betty Lorraine Swisher, I am sure that is the meaning of the tattoo. Especially considering the location and the info on this page.

http://nickswisher.net/bettyswisher.html

VeeckAsInWreck
05-27-2008, 06:21 PM

Hope this doesn't change your opinion on Swish but the BLS does not stand for Black Label Society, BLS are the initials of his late grandmother Betty Lorraine Swisher for whom he dedicates every game he plays to.

areilly
05-27-2008, 06:22 PM

Sort of. BLS are/were his grandmother's initials; just so happens most tattoo places have Zakk's band's logo handy as well. If even half the stories are true, I imagine Swish is at least a bit of a metalhead to boot.

I'm gonna blast "Mother Mary" now. Go Sox.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-27-2008, 06:22 PM
HIs grandmother was huge in his life. Her name was Betty Lorraine Swisher, I am sure that is the meaning of the tattoo. Especially considering the location and the info on this page.

http://nickswisher.net/bettyswisher.html

We posted it at the same time. But it is for his late Grandmother.

delben91
05-27-2008, 06:27 PM

I found myself wondering if it was related to Podsednik and the rest of the guys on the bench in 2005 (I think), that spent all their time studying the "hot girls" in the stands and not focusing on the pitcher. It was a topic of much discussion and research here on WSI...perhaps Swisher is continuing that research.

Daver
05-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe he's birdwatching.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
He likes to take a brief moment before each pitch to contemplate his awesomeness. :redneck

turners56
05-27-2008, 06:44 PM
I used to think he was looking up at God to get him a hit. He points to the sky after every hit, he looks like a highly religious man. But I guess he's just looking at the sky to get a clean slate of mind at the plate.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
his grandma died of cancer in 2005 i believe. nick lived with his grandma and they were really close. i think that is be a big reason for him to look up before ever atbat and to also point at the sky after every hit

bryPt
05-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Hope this doesn't change your opinion on Swish but the BLS does not stand for Black Label Society, BLS are the initials of his late grandmother Betty Lorraine Swisher for whom he dedicates every game he plays to.

either way, it is cool, cooler though if it was for his Grandmother, which I suspect it is.

Here is why I thought it was about Black Label Society (Zakk Wylde from Ozzy):

http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/downloads/zakkpaper34.jpg

Elephant
05-27-2008, 10:58 PM
If you stare at a blue sky or a black night, when you look back into the pitcher, the white ball will stick out that much more.

It's no wonder he can't hit for ****. Sure, the ball will stick out more, and the white will "glow" more, but that's counterproductive to seeing the laces, which then become a bit obscured by the white of the ball. And laces are really what you're looking for in order to determine the movement of the pitch. The ball itself is easy to see in today's parks with the dark batter's eyes.

ondafarm
05-27-2008, 11:25 PM
What he does is hardly unusual; I've seen a lot of guys do it. Crazy Carl used to turn his head at just about the same time as Swish brings his gaze up. Carl's was to get both eyes squarely looking toward the pitcher. That doesn't sound important and something you'd think would be totally natural, but I can tell you it's totally unnatural. Your brain must be trained to bring full visual acuity onto one object. It's one of those things that makes hitting a baseball the single hardest thing to do in sports.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-28-2008, 10:45 AM
either way, it is cool, cooler though if it was for his Grandmother, which I suspect it is.

Here is why I thought it was about Black Label Society (Zakk Wylde from Ozzy):

http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/downloads/zakkpaper34.jpg

I can see why you thought it then. Maybe for Swish it's a two for one. He loves his Grandma and some metal!

stl_sox_fan
05-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for this! I've been noticing that all season long. Thought he was checking himself out on the jumbo tron or something.

ondafarm
05-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks for this! I've been noticing that all season long. Thought he was checking himself out on the jumbo tron or something.

That would be one thing that was hideously counter-productive. Doing that would be equivalent to batting blindfolded.

Corlose 15
05-29-2008, 02:10 AM
He likes to take a brief moment before each pitch to contemplate his awesomeness. :redneck

Its pretty funny to take this explanation and then picture the expression Swish has on his face when he looks up.:roflmao: