PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Howard?

skottyj242
05-27-2008, 11:00 AM
I was reading Sunday's Tribune yesterday and came across a little blurb that said Phillies officials are quietly discussing trading Ryan Howard and that he would look good on the Sox when they decline Thome's option next year. I don't think we would have enought if we have anything that would get us a talent like that but he would look good as a DH especially in our ballpark and he could play first to let Paulie sit. They could split DH/1st. Anyone?

soxpride724
05-27-2008, 11:09 AM
I was reading Sunday's Tribune yesterday and came across a little blurb that said Phillies officials are quietly discussing trading Ryan Howard and that he would look good on the Sox when they decline Thome's option next year. I don't think we would have enought if we have anything that would get us a talent like that but he would look good as a DH especially in our ballpark and he could play first to let Paulie sit. They could split DH/1st. Anyone?

That would be cool, but it will never happen unfortunately. :whiner:

SOXBOY
05-27-2008, 11:10 AM
not going to happen.

spawn
05-27-2008, 11:12 AM
I was reading Sunday's Tribune yesterday and came across a little blurb that said Phillies officials are quietly discussing trading Ryan Howard and that he would look good on the Sox when they decline Thome's option next year. I don't think we would have enought if we have anything that would get us a talent like that but he would look good as a DH especially in our ballpark and he could play first to let Paulie sit. They could split DH/1st. Anyone? :rolling:

Rocky Soprano
05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I just LOVE all the Xbox/Playstation GM mentalities out there!

cws05champ
05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
STOP STOP STOP!!! If anyone thinks that Howard will be anywhere but Philly over the next few years is crazy!

palehozenychicty
05-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I take the tagline from the NY State Lottery:

Hey, you never know. :D:

skottyj242
05-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I just LOVE all the Xbox/Playstation GM mentalities out there!

I didn't make it up guy. Granted it Phil Rogers but it was in print.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/cs-25-rogers-whispersmay25,1,2370877.story

Jerome
05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
could we trade Freddy Garcia for him? I would be willing to throw in Gio as well.

munchman33
05-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Whoa guys. It's common knowledge that there's a lot of bad blood between Howard and Phillies management, and Howard's large arbitration salaries have made the Phillies worry. It wouldn't surprise me if they would be looking to trade him. And Kenny likes to make deals with them.

Now, we'd need to make deals to gain prospects necessary, of course. But it isn't as "impossible" as some of you believe it is.

oeo
05-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I didn't make it up guy. Granted it Phil Rogers but it was in print.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/cs-25-rogers-whispersmay25,1,2370877.story

Sometimes I wonder if his "whispers" are just voices in his head...

alohafri
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't think we have what the Phillies want, but I'd take him.

oeo
05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't think we have what the Phillies want, but I'd take him.

Oh, I'm sure we could do something, but you can say good-bye to Quentin, Fields, Danks, and probably more.

Craig Grebeck
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Others have mentioned this as well. We certainly don't have the prospects to get it done.

SoXPriDe33
Whoa guys. It's common knowledge that there's a lot of bad blood between Howard and Phillies management, and Howard's large arbitration salaries have made the Phillies worry. It wouldn't surprise me if they would be looking to trade him. And Kenny likes to make deals with them.

Now, we'd need to make deals to gain prospects necessary, of course. But it isn't as "impossible" as some of you believe it is.

If the Sox had the pieces to acquire Howard would they be willing to spend the money to sign him? The guy wants big time money.

btrain929
Oh, I'm sure we could do something, but you can say good-bye to Quentin, Fields, Danks, and probably more.

With the bad blood between the 2 sides, as well as his continuing decline in numbers last yr as well as this year, I don't think they'd ask for THAT much. Alot, yes, but the above is ridiculous.

Either way, I agree it won't happen.

oeo
05-27-2008, 11:55 AM

Put it another way: it's not worth it in the long run.

Our immediate future looks bright, no reason to screw that up. They just need to fix this farm system so our future in 2-3 years still looks bright.

munchman33
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
If the Sox had the pieces to acquire Howard would they be willing to spend the money to sign him? The guy wants big time money.

Put it another way: it's not worth it in the long run.

Our immediate future looks bright, no reason to screw that up. They just need to fix this farm system so our future in 2-3 years still looks bright.

Well, we are pretty up there in payroll. And we've got Buehrle, Gavin, and Danks locked up for a while. Javy isn't going anywhere soon. We really only need to replace Contreras in the next year or so. Adding a piece like Howard would go a long way in helping us contend for the long term.

Rocky Soprano
05-27-2008, 01:28 PM

Nothing is impossible, but this is as close as you get to it.

Britt Burns
05-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Where would he play?!?!

whitesox901
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
i dont see it happening, I'd rather have Fielder come to us in a few years. that would kick ass

munchman33
05-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Nothing is impossible, but this is as close as you get to it.

Maybe they'll take Swisher...I mean, he's young and got that awesome contract.

The more I think about how we gave up two really good pitching prospects for Swisher, the more it bugs me that we don't have the pieces to make a deal for a guy like this. Because they would've been a decent start.

Foulke You
05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
I think the Phils trading Howard is a moot point while they are still in contention for the NL East title. They aren't going to trade one of their biggest bats in the middle of a pennant race unless they are getting MLB talent in return. Prospects alone would not get a deal done unless the Phils fall out of contention later this season.

asindc
05-27-2008, 02:00 PM
With the bad blood between the 2 sides, as well as his continuing decline in numbers last yr as well as this year, I don't think they'd ask for THAT much. Alot, yes, but the above is ridiculous.

I agree. The Sox would be stupid to give up that much for Howard, especially if the Phillies are actively shopping him, which I don't believe.

hi im skot
05-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Ryan Howard > Prince Fielder

I like Prince, but I think that Howard would be a better clubhouse guy.

palehozenychicty
05-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Ryan Howard is still the man, but people get mad at Paulie's slow starts. Ryan Howard is the undisputed king of post-ASB production.

turners56
05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Throw in Chase Utley too, we'll give them Thome, Uribe, and Konerko!

Seriously though, we have enough home run hitters on this team. But we really don't need another one that strikes out 200 times a year and plays mediocre defense. Howard's a great hitter, but the price and the possibility of him coming here is impossible.

Boondock Saint
05-27-2008, 03:46 PM

Not initially, but once the offers start coming in, all they have to do is say, "Well, they Yankees are offering this". And teams will start to escalate offers. They won't ask for that much, but they'll end up getting something along that line from someone if the trade ever goes down.

asindc
05-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Not initially, but once the offers start coming in, all they have to do is say, "Well, they Yankees are offering this". And teams will start to escalate offers. They won't ask for that much, but they'll end up getting something along that line from someone if the trade ever goes down.

And that's where KW usually says, Ok then, see ya! It generally works out for him when he does. Let the Yanks mortgage their future (once again), while we look to rebuild our farm.

Boondock Saint
05-27-2008, 04:08 PM
And that's where KW usually says, Ok then, see ya! It generally works out for him when he does. Let the Yanks mortgage their future (once again), while we look to rebuild our farm.

I agree, I was just saying that some GM will make the deal.

RKMeibalane
05-27-2008, 04:24 PM

Bear in mind that Howard is actually ahead of last season's pace, and will likely surpass his 2007 numbers. That said, there's no reason for the Sox or any team to pursue him until the Phillies actually place him on the trading block. And given that Philadelphia is in contention, I don't see that happening this season.

Optipessimism
05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Others have mentioned this as well. We certainly don't have the prospects to get it done.
I don't know about that. With Howard the main things will be money and league. If the Phils do trade him, whatever team they trade him to is going to want to sign him to a longterm extension. They're going to try their best to keep him out of the NL so their best options are major market AL teams. That leaves the Yankees, Red Sox, Sox, Tigers, and LAA as the most likely. When you consider Detroit's commitments on top of that, how likely is their FO to sign another player to another big money longterm deal?

The reason the Sox won't get him is because JR isn't going to give $20-22 million or so per year to one guy over 5-7 years, but the prospects part of it doesn't necessarily cut us out. We have some pretty good prospects in Fields, Poreda, Martinez, Shelby, Shirek, and if a trade occurs in late December or January next year, our #8 pick in this years draft could go as a PTBNL as well. Plus after this year we could be in position to trade Dye, Konerko, and/or Contreras for prospects in addition to that. We'd certainly be able to compete in the highly unlikely event JR would authorize it and KW would find a move necessary.