PDA

View Full Version : Surprises and Disappointments

Fenway
05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Most teams have played 50 games now and that is emough of a sample to see how 2008 might play out.

Surprises

1 Tampa best record in baseball right now and 21-12 in the division but no sign of fan support as they only drew 13,000 yesterday

2 White Sox Maybe KW did know what he was doing

3 Florida The kids can play

4 St Louis Everybody wrote them off....not so fast

5 Houston ditto

Disapointments

where to start......

1 Detroit Manager maybe smoking 4 packs a day by now

2 Cleveland I had a gut feeling blowing the pennant last year might haunt them

3 Mets Major problems in Flushing.

4 Seattle Team looks dead

5 San Diego blowing playoffs last year maybe haunting them

6 Rockies Maybe last fall was a fluke

7 Yankees They have had a lot of injuries....they were in a similar spot this time last year.

soxfanatlanta
05-27-2008, 11:58 AM
I have to add Atlanta - despite all the injuries, and slow starts by everybody except C. Jones, they are in the race.

palehozenychicty
05-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Most teams have played 50 games now and that is emough of a sample to see how 2008 might play out.

Surprises

1 Tampa best record in baseball right now and 21-12 in the division but no sign of fan support as they only drew 13,000 yesterday

2 White Sox Maybe KW did know what he was doing

3 Florida The kids can play

4 St Louis Everybody wrote them off....not so fast

5 Houston ditto

Disapointments

where to start......

1 Detroit Manager maybe smoking 4 packs a day by now

2 Cleveland I had a gut feeling blowing the pennant last year might haunt them

3 Mets Major problems in Flushing.

5 San Diego blowing playoffs last year maybe haunting them

6 Rockies Maybe last fall was a fluke

7 Yankees They have had a lot of injuries....they were in a similar spot this time last year.

Tampa's support will come the longer they play well. Keep in mind that they've been a doormat for a decade. They finally have the pitching to compete for a few years.

The Sox's offense has been terrible aside from Quentin, and the pitching has been dynamite across the board. If they can get just half those bats going, the division is there for the taking.

The Marlins are playing well, but they still need a CF and another starter. Jacque Jones ain't the man. D is bad too.

I doubt that the Cards can hold up either. Too brittle everywhere.

Houston may hang around, but they don't have enough pitching.

Fens, how do you leave out the A's?? Their pitching has been unreal and Frank loves Oakland. They love him too. Good for Hurt.

Rockies started playing well in June last year and scorched the Earth late last season. They have 5 regulars out, and once healthy, should make a push. Hurdle, though, isn't a very good manager.

The Indians are also very streaky. They need a whole bullpen and one more legit OF.

The Tigers have no pitching whatsoever. I'm not that surprised they look overrated.

The Yankees will hit better, but their pitching is also a box of chocolates.

The Mets just aren't very well put together, lacking grit and energy all around. Whatever Willie said to Jose Reyes last year, he needs to take it back. That guy is too good to become such a nonfactor.

And these other teams have done what's expected: Red Sawx, Flubs, Snakes, Rally Monkeys, Pirates and Royals (for haplessness).

All in all, a strange year to start. Play ball!

goofymsfan
05-27-2008, 12:12 PM

And they play that way too. For a team that was supposed to contend for the division title.....I'm at a loss for words.

PatK
05-27-2008, 12:19 PM
I had such high expectations for Seattle this year and am getting constantly ridiculed over their plight.

palehozenychicty
05-27-2008, 12:22 PM
I had such high expectations for Seattle this year and am getting constantly ridiculed over their plight.

I thought they'd be better too, but they are lucky that Sexson will be gone, because he has been a certified black hole for them. Just not enough good batters in that lineup. Their defense just disappeared as well. The last couple years they were flying around like acrobats. Not this year. Bavasi and McLaren have to go.

Fenway
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes I did forget about the A's. They got great pitching when they swept Boston. Boston has been swept 4 times so far. They are just a different club away from the Back Bay.

Atlanta isn't a surprise to me as Cox maybe the best manager during the regular season.

Friend in Tampa says the Rays attendance problem is compounded by $4 gas, parking fees unless you have 4 in the car, no public transportation to the park and tickets are overpriced for the market.

Orlando is the better market as there is more money there.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Sure the Rockies were a fluke, but at the same time they weren't. Any team that wins 21 of 22 games has to be considered somewhat of a fluke, but they do have a lot of talent. Unfortunately, for all the good luck they had during that run, they've had just as much bad luck since. It started in the World Series; I don't think they could have beaten Boston last year, but with just a few breaks going their way they could have won a game or two. Now, half their roster is on the DL. Holliday, Hawpe, and Tulowitzki are all hurt, along with several other guys who haven't actually gone on the DL. Barmes was filling in well for Tulowitzki but now he's out. Tough to win when your team is destroyed like that.

I think from a media or casual fan's standpoint the Tigers have to be the biggest surprise, because everyone expected so much from them. Personally, I was always suspicious of their age and weak pitching, so I think that the Florida teams are the biggest surprise. I knew that there was plenty of young offensive talent there, but I didn't figure either team had the pitching to stick around for this long. Even if they fall back to the pack, the success they've had so far is impressive.

palehozenychicty
05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Sure the Rockies were a fluke, but at the same time they weren't. Any team that wins 21 of 22 games has to be considered somewhat of a fluke, but they do have a lot of talent. Unfortunately, for all the good luck they had during that run, they've had just as much bad luck since. It started in the World Series; I don't think they could have beaten Boston last year, but with just a few breaks going their way they could have won a game or two. Now, half their roster is on the DL. Holliday, Hawpe, and Tulowitzki are all hurt, along with several other guys who haven't actually gone on the DL. Barmes was filling in well for Tulowitzki but now he's out. Tough to win when your team is destroyed like that.

I think from a media or casual fan's standpoint the Tigers have to be the biggest surprise, because everyone expected so much from them. Personally, I was always suspicious of their age and weak pitching, so I think that the Florida teams are the biggest surprise. I knew that there was plenty of young offensive talent there, but I didn't figure either team had the pitching to stick around for this long. Even if they fall back to the pack, the success they've had so far is impressive.

My sentiments exactly. Aside from Tampa, they may be the most athletic team in the league. Once they get healthy, they'll be fine. They started playing well last June, and then made that run.

Francis needs to be straightened out, though, as he's been brutal.

MeteorsSox4367
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Other than when playing the Cubs, the Pirates haven't been as awful as some would have thought. They're only two games under, Nate McLouth has been a pleasant surprise and they took advantage of some Cubs' generosity this weekend.

Fenway
05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
People here laughed at me when I predicted Tampa to win the wild card.

I can't see Randolph lasting much longer in NY as he is becoming Ozzie like in his remarks and the tabloids are all over him.

Tonight I will be at Safeco as a fan which I look forward to.

turners56
05-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes I did forget about the A's. They got great pitching when they swept Boston. Boston has been swept 4 times so far. They are just a different club away from the Back Bay.

Atlanta isn't a surprise to me as Cox maybe the best manager during the regular season.

Friend in Tampa says the Rays attendance problem is compounded by $4 gas, parking fees unless you have 4 in the car, no public transportation to the park and tickets are overpriced for the market.

Ouch, that won't come in handy come October.

turners56
05-27-2008, 05:06 PM

I can't see Randolph lasting much longer in NY as he is becoming Ozzie like in his remarks and the tabloids are all over him.

Tonight I will be at Safeco as a fan which I look forward to.

I was leaning at .500 for the Rays this year. They still have the possibility of finishing that way.

soxfanatlanta
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM

Incorrect.

Tampa/St Pete is a bigger television market, and has a higher median salary.

Oblong
05-28-2008, 02:30 PM
The Tigers have no pitching whatsoever. I'm not that surprised they look overrated

It's not the pitching. It's an anemic offense that either scores 0-2 or >10 runs a game.

spiffie
05-28-2008, 02:51 PM
In 2007 the 4 playoff teams on this date were BOS, CLE, LAA, DET. 3/4
In 2006 the 4 playoff teams on this date were BOS, DET, TEX, NYY. 2/4
In 2005 the 4 playoff teams on this date were BAL, CHW, LAA, MIN. 2/4
In 2004 the 4 playoff teams on this date were BOS, CHW, LAA, NYY. 3/4
In 2003 the 4 playoff teams on this date were BOS, MIN, SEA, NYY. 3/4

Two things to learn from this would seem to be:
1. It is definitely better to be in first at this point in the year. 13/20 teams that qualify for a playoff spot by this point in the year make it through
2. If you aren't Boston, New York, or the Angels (8/9 when they are in a playoff spot on this date) your odds are not nearly as good. Outside of the three perennial teams the last 5 years the playoff teams on this date are 5/11 in finishing up their work. We're still at the point in the year where pretenders can masquerade as kings.

Tampa is improved. No one much doubted they would be. But there's still a few months separating you from being able to crow about what could still end up a very incorrect prediction.

BadBobbyJenks
05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Seattle was the luckiest team last year. I am surprised they are this bad, but I am not surprised they are not in the playoff race.

getonbckthr
05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Anybody have a link to the preseason prediction page?