PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro possibly makes catch of the year

Sockinchisox
05-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Ichiro made an absolutely incredible over the shoulder basket catch on a long fly ball to deep CF, pressing up against the wall.

If you want to see it, check out the Gameday link and click on the videos tab.

Gameday (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_05_26_bosmlb_seamlb_1&mode=gameday)

fquaye149
05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Great catch. Probably won't be catch of the year, but certainly an excellent effort.

Jjav829
05-26-2008, 10:57 PM
With the way he came down with the ball in his bare hand, I wouldn't be surprised if he trapped it against the wall. It's impossible to see from that angle.

He did a nice job of getting the ball back in quickly, too.

Sockinchisox
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
With the way he came down with the ball in his bare hand, I wouldn't be surprised if he trapped it against the wall. It's impossible to see from that angle.

He did a nice job of getting the ball back in quickly, too.

They just showed it from the NESN perspective on BBT and they zoomed in on him and he definitely caught it.

He did use the wall to help him hold onto the ball though.

lukeman89
05-26-2008, 11:30 PM
that wasn't a good catch at all! he got a horrible jump and took a horrible angle on a ball that rob mackowiak would have been camping under like it was a can of corn.

thomas35forever
05-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Mays-like catch. It's probably not the best of his career, but impressive nonetheless.

goofymsfan
05-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Imagine seeing it live :o:after hearing an idiot boston fan calling him overrated!:rolleyes:

rocky biddle
05-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Everyone knows Reed Johnson made the greatest catch of all time.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Imagine seeing it live :o:after hearing an idiot boston fan calling him overrated!:rolleyes:

Everything done outside the Red Sawx Nayyyyysun is overrated...didn't you know that?

daveeym
05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
The best part was that he had the presence of mind to keep his hat from falling off.

SBSoxFan
05-27-2008, 11:01 AM
The best part was that he had the presence of mind to keep his hat from falling off.

It looked more like he was holding his head after using it to open the CF gate!

goofymsfan
05-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Everything done outside the Red Sawx Nayyyyysun is overrated...didn't you know that?

Yeah I keep forgetting that...just like their lack of vocabulary :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

balke
05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Kinda reminds me of a better version of Adam Jones' catch against Brian Anderson in that O's Sox series.

skottyj242
05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Aaron Rowand could have made that in his sleep.

turners56
05-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Everyone knows Reed Johnson made the greatest catch of all time.

He ran full speed and crashed with his head going into the wall, that is probably one of the most impressive catches I've ever seen. Don't know about all time.

This Ichiro catch is probably better than Mays' catch in my perspective. Mays had no wall to crash into. Ichiro made an incredible play and hung on to the ball. All I know is the catch of the year will be a robbing of a homer. It always seems that way.

DSpivack
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
He ran full speed and crashed with his head going into the wall, that is probably one of the most impressive catches I've ever seen. Don't know about all time.

This Ichiro catch is probably better than Mays' catch in my perspective. Mays had no wall to crash into. Ichiro made an incredible play and hung on to the ball. All I know is the catch of the year will be a robbing of a homer. It always seems that way.

Mays ran at least 100 feet further than Ichiro.

fquaye149
05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
that wasn't a good catch at all! he got a horrible jump and took a horrible angle on a ball that rob mackowiak would have been camping under like it was a can of corn.

Really, it does look like he took a bad angle, but knowing what I know about Ichiro as a CF, I will give him the benefit of the doubt that the ball was slicing/hooking and he had to adjust

fquaye149
05-28-2008, 11:46 AM

Mays's catch is not what is particularly impressive about "the catch" and Mays himself would have told you that. It was mostly the fact that after running a long long way he turned and fired a perfect strike instantaneously

Frontman
05-30-2008, 06:48 PM
He didn't break his nose on the wall, so Rowand's catch off the wall was better.....

EndemicSox
05-30-2008, 07:43 PM

I agree, Ichiro's basket catch is mighty impressive, but it doesn't compare to the mind-boggling play Johnson pulled off.

decolores9628
05-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Mays's catch is not what is particularly impressive about "the catch" and Mays himself would have told you that. It was mostly the fact that after running a long long way he turned and fired a perfect strike instantaneously

He didnt even have to throw and "perfect strike". It was the third out of the inning.

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 10:12 AM
He didnt even have to throw and "perfect strike". It was the third out of the inning.

This statement couldn't possibly be more false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catch_%28baseball%29

Unless you're talking about Ichiro's catch :shrug:

decolores9628
06-01-2008, 12:54 PM
This statement couldn't possibly be more false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catch_%28baseball%29

Unless you're talking about Ichiro's catch :shrug:

Eh, so my dad lied to me....it happens. My bad

fquaye149
06-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Eh, so my dad lied to me....it happens. My bad

Not necessarily lied. Maybe misrembered or embellished :shrug:

decolores9628
06-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Not necessarily lied. Maybe misrembered or embellished :shrug:

haha i know, usually hes pretty good with his baseball knowledge, so ill let this one slide