PDA

View Full Version : Who's our second baseman?

thomas35forever
05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
True that Ramirez has the sport with Uribe out, but once Uribe's activated, who do you want out there every day? My vote is for the Cuban Missle.

Gavin
05-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Add poll option:
Too soon, let's just enjoy the dubya

gobears1987
05-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I'll take Alexei anyday. He actually tries to put the ball in play instead of just swinging for the fences. He's getting better each week and it shows. He has been a big part of the success we have had the last few weeks.

voodoochile
05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Richar...

But of those choices, I think you have to go with Ramirez.

manders_01
05-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Alexei - his BA is going up and his FP is bout even with Uribe's. It appears to me that he's getting comfortable in the MLB and hopefully will only continue to get better.

fquaye149
05-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I didn't know anyone named Churros plays for the White Sox :shrug:

cws05champ
05-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I think Churros would have a better batting average, and approach at the plate than Uribe!

Tragg
05-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Richar...

+1

DumpJerry
05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't know.....that Churros guy can be stale on some days and great on others.

Craig Grebeck
05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Richar

LoveYourSuit
05-26-2008, 11:54 PM
This team has been winning ever since Ramirez took over, you have to keep the kid in there.

We need Uribe to be our super-sub for the IF and spell Cabrera a much needed day off soon and Crede also.

spiffie
05-27-2008, 01:16 AM
I think when Richar is healthy you have to give him a shot at it. Nothing against Alexei, but I think at this point in time Richar brings more to the table at 2B than he does assuming Danny is healthy and able to step back up when he returns.

And really, at this point, I would not be upset if they just cut Uribe. He really just doesn't add anything at this point.

JermaineDye05
05-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Richar

I second that, as of right now it's Alexei. Richar really looked like he'd be our starting 2nd baseman for 2008 at the end of last season. He however had a rough spring training which included a late arrival and some unfortunate injuries. I think once he gets healthy and starts hitting like he was last year in AAA he'll be back up here.

whitesox4eva
05-27-2008, 03:47 AM
churros...c'mon that should be a given XD

HangWiffum
05-27-2008, 04:14 AM
churros...c'mon that should be a given XD

uribe would eat all the churros so there'd be none left.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2008, 06:56 AM
I think you have to go with Ramirez. As others have pointed out, he hits for contact but also can hit for power; he knows how to bunt and can hit a homer; he's pretty good defensively; he's fast on the basepaths; he's constantly improving.

Also, if it's true that he blew off the bunt sign to fake the bunt and then get a well-placed hit, that shows both a lot of talent to pull it off as well as a certain audacity. Ozzie may not like it, but I appreciate it when someone sees an opportunity for something else to work better, takes the risk, and delivers. It's like calling an audible in football. If the play works, great!

Save McCuddy's
05-27-2008, 07:54 AM
I'd say it's a Uribe/Ramirez tag team effort as OC will be history next year and the missile and manos de piedra figure to be the '09 double play combo.

Hitmen77
05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Richar...

If Richar shows that he's ready to return after his Charlotte rehab assignment, then my question is what roster move will the Sox make? Earlier in the season, I would have guessed that Ramirez would go to AAA when Richar returned. But with Ramirez showing improvement, what will the Sox do? Will they release Uribe to bring up Richar?

Craig Grebeck
05-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Richar is just eons better than Ramirez -- it's not even comparable. Alexei needs time in AAA.

voodoochile
05-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I'd say it's a Uribe/Ramirez tag team effort as OC will be history next year and the missile and manos de piedra figure to be the '09 double play combo.

Missile and Richar.

voodoochile
05-27-2008, 08:57 AM
If Richar shows that he's ready to return after his Charlotte rehab assignment, then my question is what roster move will the Sox make? Earlier in the season, I would have guess that Ramirez would go to AAA when Richar returned. But with Ramirez showing improvement, what will the Sox do? Will they release Uribe to bring up Richar?

That would be my guess. It's what they were going to do this sprig before they realized Richar's back needed work before he could play.

Save McCuddy's
05-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Really makes you wish we actually would have gotten somebody for Garland. When choosing someone to release, it'd be OC for me before Uribe.

FedEx227
05-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Really makes you wish we actually would have gotten somebody for Garland. When choosing someone to release, it'd be OC for me before Uribe.

Thank god you're not an MLB GM.

voodoochile
05-27-2008, 09:16 AM

WOW... That's... that's... That's... Well, I don't know what that is, but it's a really bad idea...

hawkjt
05-27-2008, 09:25 AM
I know that Ozzie said that Alexei did his butcher boy on his own but I was really impressed by Alexeis comment that he saw all the fielders on the move so he decided to go that route. Shows me real awareness at the plate,split second decision making, no fear, and of course good bat control. I do think those Cuban players probably have drilled more on fundamentals than american players.

I know Orlando has been a disapointment to this point but he is getting hot it appears and he did hit .301 with 86 RBI's just last year. And he was a gold glove SS...no, you do not cut him.

Save McCuddy's
05-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I know that Ozzie said that Alexei did his butcher boy on his own but I was really impressed by Alexeis comment that he saw all the fielders on the move so he decided to go that route. Shows me real awareness at the plate,split second decision making, no fear, and of course good bat control. I do think those Cuban players probably have drilled more on fundamentals than american players.

I know Orlando has been a disapointment to this point but he is getting hot it appears and he did hit .301 with 86 RBI's just last year. And he was a gold glove SS...no, you do not cut him.

Obviously you don't cut him -- but you likely will not see Uribe cut either. The point was moot, so I took the opportunity to vent my Cabrera frustrations.

I will stand by my contention that OC isn't a great get for someone of Garland's capabilities. Look at OC's career numbers (not just BA) and Uribe's. The upgrade was only marginal.

rdwj
05-27-2008, 09:45 AM
I think Ozzie should continue to play the hot hand. Right now, Alexei is doing pretty good and he's only going to get better. But, we all know that Juan can turn it on for decent stints too.

I think the real question is how long do we stick with Swish over BA?

voodoochile
05-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Obviously you don't cut him -- but you likely will not see Uribe cut either. The point was moot, so I took the opportunity to vent my Cabrera frustrations.

I will stand by my contention that OC isn't a great get for someone of Garland's capabilities. Look at OC's career numbers (not just BA) and Uribe's. The upgrade was only marginal.
They tried to cut/waive Uribe right before the season started. With the development of Ramirez as a backup to Richar failing, why would you think they would hesitate to do it now?

VeeckAsInWreck
05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know.....that Churros guy can be stale on some days and great on others.

Yeah, but when Churros is hot, watch out! :redneck

Anyway, I voted for The Cuban Missile. Uribe getting hurt could be for Alexei what Owens getting hurt was for TCQ.

Alexei has raw talent and his play hasn't been hurting the team. :thumbsup:

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Alexei has played about a third as many innings at 2B as Juan, but his numbers look slightly better. At any rate, there's not a huge difference defensively. I think we've all seen what Uribe will do in a full season, so Ramirez has much better upside. Plus, he's more likely to be an integral part of the team in the future. I think you give him the chance now. When Richar comes back, he gets a chance to win the spot unless Ramirez is really hot.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
i love the cuban missle, but lets see if Juan will have a hot start coming off the dl.

WhiteSox5187
05-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Right now you go with Ramirez as he has a future in this organization, while Uribe does not. Over the past ten games (since he started about) Alexei is hitting .272 (though his OBP is still Uribe-esque), so he IS developing up here and his D hasn't hurt us. Richar could probably put up similar (if not better numbers) right now if he's healthy, but Alexei brings a lot more versalitility to the table than Richar and also can seemingly do the little things better than Richar (in terms of baserunning and bunting, but perhaps my memory is hazy with Richar, I don't recall being overwhelmed by his ability to do those things). For now though, I'd go with Ramirez. If Richar starts tearing it up in AAA (right now he's only hitting .176, but that is in only four games), then I'd call him up and give him his shot. If he can hit major league pitching fairly well, then I'd send down Ramirez, but Richar would have to prove himself before I send down Alexei.

BadBobbyJenks
05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
If Richar shows that he's ready to return after his Charlotte rehab assignment, then my question is what roster move will the Sox make? Earlier in the season, I would have guessed that Ramirez would go to AAA when Richar returned. But with Ramirez showing improvement, what will the Sox do? Will they release Uribe to bring up Richar?

That is my question as well. Only option is to see if someone gives us a couple bats for Uribe or let him go right?

Craig Grebeck
05-27-2008, 01:02 PM
I think once Uribe is healthy, the best thing to do would be to send down Ramirez and recall Richar. Ozuna should be released and another OF should be picked up off the scrap heap for the bench -- there's just no OF in the organization outside of BA who fit well on this bench.

This is of course after Richar is healthy.

Richar would start with Uribe on the bench backing up 3 IF.

Tragg
05-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I think once Uribe is healthy, the best thing to do would be to send down Ramirez and recall Richar. Ozuna should be released and another OF should be picked up off the scrap heap for the bench -- there's just no OF in the organization outside of BA who fit well on this bench.

This is of course after Richar is healthy.

Richar would start with Uribe on the bench backing up 3 IF.
I like this idea too. And I'd suggest that Ramirez play SS in AAA. We can save over 10Mill and put it to other uses with a Richar/Ramirez infield next year.

CLR01
05-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Richar or Rameriez. Doesn't really matter which as long as we can throw Uribe out with last weeks half-eaten hot dogs.

Daver
05-27-2008, 02:31 PM
The Sox need to make a trade for Robby Alomar.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-27-2008, 02:36 PM
The Sox need to make a trade for Robby Alomar.

It's actually a good thing that Toby Hall has been doing his job otherwise we'd probably see Sandy Alomar again!

PhillipsBubba
05-27-2008, 03:34 PM
...but I'd prefer Nellie Fox, Al Weis, Mike Andrews, Luis Alvarado.....need I go on???:scratch: