PDA

View Full Version : The Ballpark at Arlington - Need advice...

jabrch
05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Going to be in Arlington in June - want to see a game. What are the premium seats there? What's the best bet? I see a Jose Cuervo section and a Lexus section, both right behind the plate. Also there are the premium boxes right behind the plate.

If money isn't an obstacle, where should I sit?

DumpJerry
05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
In the shade. I hear it gets as hot as Hades there.

jabrch
05-26-2008, 11:01 PM

:D: @ Dump

Yup - that's true...

Anyone else with a bit more....helpful...information?

Harry Potter
05-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Last year, I went out there for a game in late August. It was the game where Andy Gonzalez made three errors at third base while Fields was experimenting in left field. After Gonzalez' third error, I yelled out to Fields that I was hoping to see him at third at the start of the next inning, to which he laughed on his way back to the dugout.

My seats were in Section 16, Row 2. Third-base side (which is where the Sox dugout is). I was in a prime seat for taking photographs and getting autographs before the game. I ended up buying them a month or so prior on eBay for a pretty decent price (I paid $80 for the pair and a parking pass)

It rained pretty heavily before the game so it was humid as hell at the start, but overall, the weather was more pleasant then I had anticipated.

I also took in a game at Minute Maid (Astros/Cardinals) on my trip. Overall, a fun experience in the Lone Star State.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2008, 07:19 AM

Yes. Take it from someone who's been there, done that. If it's a night game, there first base side is the "shade" side. Left field is the "sun" side.

The best seats I ever had were in the "commissioners box," just to the right of the Rangers' dugout (only separated by the photographers' box) and spitting distance from first base. They tickets were a gift from a sports editor/reporter friend so I'm not sure it's possible to buy them, though.

Other advice:

The concourse is wide but does not have a view of the field (other than in RF through LCF). The food is standard ballpark fare; no comparison to the Cell. There is a microbrew/beers of the world stand along the concourse near the RF foul pole.

The restrooms are clean and the service and security folks are extremely friendly. Smoking is prohibited. The Rangers cater to families - even more than the Sox.

There really isn't much to do near the ballpark; it's surrounded by parking lots in a suburban type atmosphere. There are some chain restaurants a few miles away, near Six Flags. The Ballpark is closer to Fort Worth than Dallas; Fort Worth has a nicer downtown than Dallas. Even though Arlington has 350K residents, it doesn't have a downtown or mass transit.

Harry Potter
05-27-2008, 08:08 AM
There really isn't much to do near the ballpark; it's surrounded by parking lots in a suburban type atmosphere. There are some chain restaurants a few miles away, near Six Flags. The Ballpark is closer to Fort Worth than Dallas; Fort Worth has a nicer downtown than Dallas. Even though Arlington has 350K residents, it doesn't have a downtown or mass transit.

Agreed. I stayed in downtown Dallas and it must be the fact that I'm spoiled with downtown Chicago because I was surprised at the lack of things to do in downtown Dallas at night. We had to walk a bit to find a bar at night - the West End was too bad but it's overrated.

The highlight (by far) of my Dallas experience was checking out the JFK stuff (Grassy Knoll, Book Depository Museum, etc.) Highly recommended

Over By There
05-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Went to a couple of games there last year (including the Andy Gonzalez game). We sat in the Lexus Club level (mezzanine) on the first base side, after reading everyone's advice here at WSI. It was a nice experience. The ballpark is pretty nice, and it's in a nice setting, although it's a long walk from the public lots. The most lasting impression I got is how hospitable the staff were at the park, and I don't think it was just because I was on the club level. They seemed to have a real dedication to making people's experience at the ballpark positive.

We stayed at an Amerisuites (or similar) near the park. There's not a lot to do in that area. We ate at a kick-ass BBQ place in Ft. Worth one afternoon, and we also did the JFK museum at the Book Depository, which I had never seen. The JFK museum is well worth it, if you're inclined. If you want to do any sightseeing around the area, be prepared to do a lot of driving. I was in awe of just how big the metroplex is...

jabrch
05-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Went to a couple of games there last year (including the Andy Gonzalez game). We sat in the Lexus Club level (mezzanine) on the first base side, after reading everyone's advice here at WSI. It was a nice experience. The ballpark is pretty nice, and it's in a nice setting, although it's a long walk from the public lots. The most lasting impression I got is how hospitable the staff were at the park, and I don't think it was just because I was on the club level. They seemed to have a real dedication to making people's experience at the ballpark positive.

We stayed at an Amerisuites (or similar) near the park. There's not a lot to do in that area. We ate at a kick-ass BBQ place in Ft. Worth one afternoon, and we also did the JFK museum at the Book Depository, which I had never seen. The JFK museum is well worth it, if you're inclined. If you want to do any sightseeing around the area, be prepared to do a lot of driving. I was in awe of just how big the metroplex is...

How were the Lexus seats? Any amenities?

soxfanatlanta
05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
I sat in the left field bleachers there (night game); not a bad place to catch the game.

Over By There
05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
How were the Lexus seats? Any amenities?

In terms of amenities, the concourse was spacious and not very crowded (short lines for food/drinks, no restroom lines). They have nice food places, and Lexus cars parked in the concourse. The main benefit (I guess) was having a waitress take your food and drink orders at your seat, although after doing it once, we decided to just go out to the concourse ourselves (IIRC, there was a service fee or something that made it a little more expensive to use the waitress). One neat thing was that the Lexus level is just slightly below the media boxes. My dad walked over and had a nice little chat with Hawk and DJ in the middle of an inning.

Overall, I liked it. We sat in the Lexus level for both games, so I can't compare sitting in the field boxes or whatever they call them. I think the seats were about $45 each, about the same as a decent infield seat. If you're going for more than one game, it might be fun to sit downstairs one game, and in the Lexus level the other.

Frater Perdurabo
05-27-2008, 05:52 PM
I was in awe of just how big the metroplex is...

Everything is bigger in Texas. :tongue: DFW Airport is larger than the island of Manhattan. :o:

Seriously, everything is so spread out because:

1. We all drive big vehicles and can get from any point to any point by driving;

2. Because we all drive big vehicles, we need massive parking lots - therefore, everything needs to be surrounded by giant parking lots and nothing is close together.

I echo the sentiments about the JFK museum; it's about all there is to do that's unique in and around downtown Dallas. About 8-10 years ago Deep Ellum had a fantastic music scene, but now most of the venues have closed. The West End used to be better, too, but a lot of action has moved a little north to Victory Park (new development around American Airlines Center, where the Mavs and Stars play). Lower Greenville has the typical "pub crawl" scene and some live music. Oak Lawn/Turtle Creek has several gay/lesbian bars. There's a ton of construction going on so perhaps in 5-10 years things will have really improved. The Dallas Museum of Art is pretty good.

I know less about Fort Worth (I live on the Dallas side), but the Fort Worth Modern is a great art museum. Fort Worth has the stockyards and a much more vibrant downtown with shops, art galleries, themed bars and some live music venues.

In addition to the Rangers, Six Flags and the Lone Star Park horse track (actually in adjacent Grand Prairie), Arlington has a GM plant, the under-construction Cowboys stadium, and chain restaurants! :rolleyes:

For food, go with Tex Mex (stick to the family-owned "hole in the wall" places for the absolute best) or BBQ (Dickey's, Rudy's and Sonny Bryan's all have several locations). Do yourself a favor and avoid pizza.

pearso66
05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I went there last year, and sat in the OF. Left field in the seats that are raised over the out of town scoreboard? First row, great seats. Got 10 in a row a week before the game for $20 a seat maybe? Parking was cheap, we just drove up and there was a lot right across the street for like $10 or so, no big deal.

For something to do, try downtown Fort Worth, go to the stockyards, it's always something cool to check out.

Law11
05-28-2008, 11:09 AM
We went some years back and stayed at the hotel next to the park. Six flags is across the street so we just walked to the game.

The game I went to got called because of Tornados around the park. They had to evacuate the UD and we couldnt leave the park for 30 minutes.

I loved the park though... Great Hall of Fame building.
Like the othesr visited the Book depository JFK deal. Loved it..

Chicken Dinner
05-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Buy a cheap seat and then sit were you want. :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Buy a cheap seat and then sit were you want. :smile:

That is indeed possible, even if you have upper deck tickets.

On the lower deck, the ushers/security folks generally hang out around the last row of each aisle. The more expensive the seats and/or the larger the crowd, the more likely they are to check ticket stubs. In the cheaper seats and when the place is less crowded, they don't check. Between half-innings, they move to the front of the section to make sure idiots don't try to run on the field. This is the time to find different/better seats.

Also, try to avoid Saturday night games during the summer. This is when the place is most packed with large groups of kids hopped up on Red Fusion and Fun Dip, toted around by pious peroxide blonde moms and expense account dads trying to prove they are the "best" (i.e. most profligate spender, most ostentatious) parents in their country club or megachurch, because they included the most kids in their Junior's all-day birthday sugar orgy. These are the parents (moms, especially) who also think their kid is entitled to the foul ball or home run you caught, even though you are a complete stranger sitting five rows away. These moms literally order their kids over to you to demand the ball because it is his/her birthday.
:rolleyes:

TDog
05-28-2008, 10:01 PM

I was thinking air-conditioned hotel room.

sbsox
05-29-2008, 08:01 PM
We went to a midweek game earlier this month against the Mariners. The announced crowd was around 12,500. We bought seats in center left field, 2 rows up, for $16 (we had our japanese heckling phrases ready for Ichiro). It started raining so we moved upstairs and checked out the $6 seats. The upper deck is much larger than the Cell and appears to be even higher than the Cell.

If you stay at a hotel/motel in Arlington you can catch a free trolley to the game.

We had a great meal at the Brazilian Steak house in Grapevine called "Boi Na Braza".

Soxfanspcu11
05-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Going to be in Arlington in June - want to see a game. What are the premium seats there? What's the best bet? I see a Jose Cuervo section and a Lexus section, both right behind the plate. Also there are the premium boxes right behind the plate.

If money isn't an obstacle, where should I sit?

Half of My family lives in Arlington, about 10 minutes from the park. My Aunt actually parks cars for the Rangers. If you want, you can contact Me before the game you go to and I should be able to get you free parking right across the street from the park. All I have to do is tell her that you are My friend and it should be all good.

As far as the park goes, as others have said, in the day, it is hotter than a you know what. The shade is great. There is also a "Club Level" type thing behind home plate. It is kind of like our club level. You can eat dinner, drink, play video games, that sort of thing. I think it is only like $15 more a ticket or something. I dunno, I have not been to a game there since 2003 so things might have changed.

The stadium is pretty cool and you will have a great time. The visiting teams bullpen is easily accessable(sp?), kind of like ours. The only complaint that I have is that I was down there to support the Sox, Me and My friend had our Sox jerseys on (Konerko and Burlz) and some idiot kid said "Go Cubs!" to Us. I responded with an expletive and he walked away. Other than that, it was GREAT!

pearso66
05-31-2008, 03:21 PM
In left field if it gets too hot, there is a bar that overlooks the field. it's up higher than the seats so I don't think there would be any obstructed views like the bullpen bar at US Cellular. Although if it's hot, it might be packed, who knows.