PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article on our starters

TommyGavinFloyd
05-26-2008, 02:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=3412775

Good to see the staff getting the attention they deserve; hopefully the offense will come around for them soon.

Gavin
05-26-2008, 02:28 PM
That was a great article by Phil. We usually will get a tidbit but that was a solid read.:smile:

BadBobbyJenks
05-26-2008, 02:35 PM
This stood out to me the most about Floyd,

"I knew I had the ability, but I lost [confidence]. I wasn't sure I was going to get it back," Floyd said. "I feel confident now. Completely different. I had my tail between my legs three years ago."

He has got his confidence back and he is pounding the strike zone.

thomas35forever
05-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Great read. I guess the national media has learned from not covering the '05 Sox as much this early on.:thumbsup:

chisoxfanatic
05-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I can't even begin to imagine what Jose was going through emotionally last year; but, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've seen from him so far this year. He's showing signs of returning to the Jose that helped carry this team to the promised land in '05. When he gets a batter or two on base, he doesn't seem to appear rattled, unlike last year. He seems to still maintain his composure and retires the next batter.

I'd say that I was thinking that Danks would turn out to be something special in a couple of years...not THIS soon! And, Gavin's proved me wrong about my original predictions that I had for him last season. Good for both of these young stars. They could anchor this rotation for years to come--a stud-filled rotation for the ages.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Great article, Phil! Keep 'em coming!

Why can't you publish articles like that in the Tribune more often?

It leads me to believe that the moat/wall that separates the news division from business operations at the Tribune really isn't all that uncrossable or impregnable.

turners56
05-26-2008, 04:17 PM
I can't even begin to imagine what Jose was going through emotionally last year; but, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've seen from him so far this year. He's showing signs of returning to the Jose that helped carry this team to the promised land in '05. When he gets a batter or two on base, he doesn't seem to appear rattled, unlike last year. He seems to still maintain his composure and retires the next batter.

I'd say that I was thinking that Danks would turn out to be something special in a couple of years...not THIS soon! And, Gavin's proved me wrong about my original predictions that I had for him last season. Good for both of these young stars. They could anchor this rotation for years to come--a stud-filled rotation for the ages.

Why did his wife have to be a total d-bag and have him sign the divorce papers on no other than OPENING DAY?

TommyGavinFloyd
05-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Why did his wife have to be a total d-bag and have him sign the divorce papers on no other than OPENING DAY?

And on the Opening Day that I got tickets for my whole family too :angry:

turners56
05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Notice how Phil Rogers had to sneak in the Cubs somewhere in this article. The Cubune influence once again.

DeadMoney
05-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Contreras, Danks and Floyd have been the keys thus far. And, I'm not as worried about the two young guys falling off the table as I am Contreras. But, if Jose keeps the solid command he's had of late, there's no reason to believe that he can't keep up with what he's currently doing.

Something to note:
From the article (on Jose)...
"his wife of 19 years"

Sooooo, if he got married when he was 18, that means he was/is at least 37 (at least a year older than 36 - his listed age). :D:

turners56
05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Contreras, Danks and Floyd have been the keys thus far. And, I'm not as worried about the two young guys falling off the table as I am Contreras. But, if Jose keeps the solid command he's had of late, there's no reason to believe that he can't keep up with what he's currently doing.

Something to note:
"his wife of 19 years"

Sooooo, if he got married when he was 18, that means he was/is at least 37 (at least a year older than 36 - his listed age). :D:

Not too uncommon, but also a possible clue that Jose is much older than he really is.

Daver
05-26-2008, 05:36 PM

Something to note:
"his wife of 19 years"

It is not all that unusual for Cubans to marry at 15 or 16.

guillen4life13
05-26-2008, 05:40 PM

This.

DeadMoney
05-26-2008, 06:13 PM

Interesting. I did not know that. If that is the case, then his stated age may be his true age.

DumpJerry
05-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Notice how Phil Rogers had to sneak in the Cubs somewhere in this article. The Cubune influence once again.
Get over it. Lou was quoted as saying we could win the ALC. How many Cub fans are willing to say that?

I want Mags back
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM

u beat me to that.

I dont know why so many here are prasing rogers for the article that he had to put a cub slant on

jabrch
05-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Great read. I guess the national media has learned from not covering the '05 Sox as much this early on.:thumbsup:

It's Phil Rogers...you can tell by the fact that he mentioned Pinella twice, the Cubs and the NL Central all before bringing up the Sox in an article that is about the Sox rotation.

decolores9628
05-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Finally something somewhat decent by Phil, I really had no idea that he wrote it until i was done reading it. I was embarrassed from liking it so much

Nellie_Fox
05-28-2008, 12:39 AM
u beat me to that.The "Y" and the "o" too much for you to handle?