PDA

View Full Version : Cameron's night

MarqSox
05-03-2002, 10:39 AM
I'm curious.

bjmarte
05-03-2002, 11:47 AM
Maybe if it was someone else, but not Cameron. He takes too much pleasure from sticking it to us.

Cheryl
05-03-2002, 11:54 AM
No. I don't see Cameron as wanting to stick it to us, but four should be enough for anyone.

mack10zie
05-03-2002, 12:05 PM
I wasn't rooting for it to happen, but then during his last AB, after he made contact, I found myself rooting for it to go out.

voodoochile
05-03-2002, 12:29 PM
I didn't find out until the game was over, but given the circumstances (us getting clobbered) I definitely would have wanted to see #5, just so I could have said I witnessed history.

In the end, it really doesn't matter. It was just one loss. Respect is overrated. You earn respect every game you play and yesterday's loss has nothing to do with the respect shown today. I guarantee that every ML team respects every other ML team. If not, they get clobbered and then they respect that team tomorrow...

Chisox353014
05-03-2002, 12:41 PM
I was rooting pretty hard against it, and I don't think I would have felt any different if I had been at the game last night. (Actually, I probably would have broken my "stay till the end rule" last night and left early in disgust). It's especially bad because we were coming off a series where we got rocked to the tune of 32-5 and I'm just sick of seeing our pitchers throwing BP to the other team. But last night is not exactly the kind of history I ever want to see the Sox make.

bjmarte
05-03-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
No. I don't see Cameron as wanting to stick it to us, but four should be enough for anyone.

BS. Cameron didn't like that we traded him or the fact that he found out about the trade on TV. He loves to stick it to us.

Cheryl
05-03-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte

BS. Cameron didn't like that we traded him or the fact that he found out about the trade on TV. He loves to stick it to us.

I bet he likes that trade now. I'd be pissed too if I found out I was changing jobs via television.

FanOf14
05-03-2002, 01:00 PM
That's how Konerko found out about his dodgers-reds trade and if I remember correctly, his reds-sox trade. I guess cuz he went from NL to AL, one never hears his opinion on finding about being traded on TV rather than the manager or a team rep.

Mathew
05-03-2002, 01:14 PM
Cameron better that you know who but noot against the Sox.

Cheryl
05-03-2002, 01:15 PM
There's something seriously wrong with management types who can't tell a guy to his face he's been traded.

Who was around when we traded Cameron--Schueler and what? Bevington? Well, Schueler probably didn't tell Bev, and Bev probably never noticed even after the trade. So that one is Schueler's fault.

Still, I think MLB should fine management when stuff like that happens.

voodoochile
05-03-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
There's something seriously wrong with management types who can't tell a guy to his face he's been traded.

Who was around when we traded Cameron--Schueler and what? Bevington? Well, Schueler probably didn't tell Bev, and Bev probably never noticed even after the trade. So that one is Schueler's fault.

Still, I think MLB should fine management when stuff like that happens.

I don't think it is intentional - at least not for the most part, but when a trade happens, the news gets out very fast these days. The media driven culture we live in thrives on breaking news. As soon as a trade happens, it leaks. Then it hits the Internet within an hour or less. Within an hour it is also all over ESPN, ESPNEWS and ESPN2 two of which run a constant "bottom line" fact sheet. If the player isn't home to take the call or is unreachable for whatever reason, the news will be all over before management gets a chance to tell them. I am sure there are some cases where a team is sending a message, but I'm also sure that quite often it is just a product of the culture we live in.

If it happens to Parque (not that anyone wants him now), then I will believe that it was intentional, because I am pretty sure that KW, JM and JR want nothing more to do with this mouthy brat...

Cheryl
05-03-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I don't think it is intentional - at least not for the most part, but when a trade happens, the news gets out very fast these days. The media driven culture we live in thrives on breaking news. As soon as a trade happens, it leaks...

It shouldn't leak until the player in question has been told. Even if that means telling no one in the organization about the trade until the player(s) have been told. It's just plain rude.

OfficerKarkovice
05-03-2002, 02:43 PM

I think there would be something very wrong if you didn't want to stick it to the team who didn't feel you were worth enough to keep around. Whether it was the right move or not they got rid of you. You think Lofton doesn't want to stick it to Cleveland? Cam has every right to want to hand it to us and Cincy just to prove them wrong. It's only natural.

bjmarte
05-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

I think there would be something very wrong if you didn't want to stick it to the team who didn't feel you were worth enough to keep around. Whether it was the right move or not they got rid of you. You think Lofton doesn't want to stick it to Cleveland? Cam has every right to want to hand it to us and Cincy just to prove them wrong. It's only natural.

I agree 100%. But it is just as natural for me to dislike a player who has disdain for the team I am a fan of.

MarqSox
05-03-2002, 04:13 PM

I agree 100%. But it is just as natural for me to dislike a player who has disdain for the team I am a fan of.

From all accounts, Cameron is one of the good guys in the game. To my knowledge, he's never said anything bad about Chicago or Sox fans. With the game completely out of reach, what would be wrong with seeing a good guy do one of the most amazing things in baseball history?

Cheryl
05-03-2002, 04:28 PM
Thanks, MarqSox. I keep looking for quotes from Cameron ripping on the Sox, and I'm not finding anything.

OfficerKarkovice
05-03-2002, 05:00 PM
From all I can see everybody seems to really like this guy. He seems like a good kid with a much better attitude than he used to have. It's amazing what maturing a few years will do for you.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0503/1377618.html

jklm
05-03-2002, 05:17 PM
I was very happy (and surprised) Liefer showed such great instinct and made the catch.