PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Day Games

stacksedwards
05-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Why only one day game today? Its an American holiday. How about some day games Bud?

turners56
05-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Because Bud Selig thought they didn't have lights at Wrigley.

stacksedwards
05-26-2008, 12:12 PM
sorry meant only day game on TV

Jjav829
:?:

There are 5 day games today.

Royals - Blue Jays
D'Backs - Braves
Nats - Brewers
Yankees - Orioles
Dodgers - Cubs

DoItForDanPasqua
There are even a few teams not playing today. They need to take a look at how they make the schedules.

stacksedwards
05-26-2008, 12:14 PM
All games should be day games today with the Cup and NBA on tonight.

Daver
05-26-2008, 12:15 PM
There are even a few teams not playing today. They need to take a look at how they make the schedules.

Monday has been an established travel day for a long time.

BadBobbyJenks
05-26-2008, 12:16 PM
ESPN used to have a memorial day full of baseball games didn't they?

DumpJerry
05-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Clearly. The NBA playoffs have been drawing 5 or 10 viewers per game, the Stanley Cup final is a match-up between two middle market teams.

stacksedwards
Monday has been an established travel day for a long time.
This is true but its Memorial Day and something should be done. Make Thursday the travel today for the week

Kogs35
ESPN used to have a memorial day full of baseball games didn't they?

new tv contract in 06 changed that

stacksedwards
05-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Clearly. The NBA playoffs have been drawing 5 or 10 viewers per game, the Stanley Cup final is a match-up between two middle market teams.
It doesnt matter, its the playoffs

DumpJerry
05-26-2008, 12:19 PM
So, after playing until after 9:30 last night, you want the White Sox play a day game after traveling to Cleveland and losing an hour (time zone change)?

stacksedwards
Well I know 11 guys who watch and there is no way you can tell me that a Monday Night Game will do a bigger number than a Celtics/Pistons game

Daver
This is true but its Memorial Day and something should be done. Make Thursday the travel today for the week

It couldn't be done until the next CBA is negotiated.

DumpJerry
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
It doesnt matter, its the playoffs
How dare they schedule the NBA and NHL at the same time!

stacksedwards
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
So, after playing until after 9:30 last night, you want the White Sox play a day game after traveling to Cleveland and losing an hour (time zone change)?
A 3:05 start would be fine

stacksedwards
05-26-2008, 12:23 PM
How dare they schedule the NBA and NHL at the same time!
Thats not what I meant but I think it makes good sense to not have the baseball game going up against two pretty exciting series

TDog
05-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Frankly, I didn't know the tedium of the NBA playoffs was still in progress and I had forgotten all about the NHL. Maybe on a holiday the NBA and NFL should play during the day. Baseball should be playing during the day as well. It's a holiday. For that matter, there should be no Sunday night baseball.

This isn't a new trend and has little to do with Bud Selig. Baseball for years has been treating Memorial Day and Labor Day in most cities as just other Mondays in the season. As I understand it, the home teams have more to say than the league about the number of night games on Memorial Day. Of course, with the White Sox playing Sunday night -- which no team (except maybe the Rangers at home and their unfortunate opponent because no team should ever be forced to play in Texas) should be doing -- a Monday afternoon game would present a hardship.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2008, 03:35 PM
It couldn't be done until the next CBA is negotiated.

The CBA doesn't seem to prohibit West Coast night games the night before a game back in the Central or Eastern time zones; the Sox seem to get hosed every year with this scenario (usually by the Angels).

Daver
05-26-2008, 03:53 PM
The CBA doesn't seem to prohibit West Coast night games the night before a game back in the Central or Eastern time zones; the Sox seem to get hosed every year with this scenario (usually by the Angels).

8 times out of ten that would have a travel day.

DumpJerry
05-26-2008, 04:21 PM
A 3:05 start would be fine
Let's see. Game ended around 9:40 last night (10:40 Cleveland time). They were probably on the charter by 10:30 Chicago time, in Cleveland at 12:30 a.m., Cleveland time. That is assuming that the storm last night did not cause any flight delays. In the hotel and in bed by 1:30 a.m. (again, assuming an on-time arrival at the airport). At the ballpark about 10 hours later (they show up a few hours before game time to get ready) for a 3:00 start.

Keep in mind "Greenies" are now banned by MLB.

You're right, the extra 4 hours of rest for the convenience of some fans is not worth it.

Personally, I'd rather my team be as rested as possible given they just finished a three game series of one-run games (with a two run game right before it) to end a run of 6 games in a row with seven more ahead of them on the road which includes four in difficult-to-beat-at-home Tampa with no break.

stacksedwards
05-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Let's see. Game ended around 9:40 last night (10:40 Cleveland time). They were probably on the charter by 10:30 Chicago time, in Cleveland at 12:30 a.m., Cleveland time. That is assuming that the storm last night did not cause any flight delays. In the hotel and in bed by 1:30 a.m. (again, assuming an on-time arrival at the airport). At the ballpark about 10 hours later (they show up a few hours before game time to get ready) for a 3:00 start.

Keep in mind "Greenies" are now banned by MLB.

You're right, the extra 4 hours of rest for the convenience of some fans is not worth it.

Personally, I'd rather my team be as rested as possible given they just finished a three game series of one-run games (with a two run game right before it) to end a run of 6 games in a row with seven more ahead of them on the road which includes four in difficult-to-beat-at-home Tampa with no break.
In your hotel ten hours before you have to be at the park. Well an hour to eat and an hour to relax and you get your 8 hours.

DumpJerry
05-26-2008, 04:44 PM
In your hotel ten hours before you have to be at the park. Well an hour to eat and an hour to relax and you get your 8 hours.
If you have a routine desk job, that is plenty. If you have a physically demanding job which requires you to get in the right frame of mind, I wouldn't say the same.

Chicken Dinner
05-26-2008, 05:03 PM
The only Canadian team in the league played a day game on Memorial Day!

Railsplitter
05-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Blame the Monday Holiday Bill. Memorial Day used to be May 30.

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2008, 08:22 PM
8 times out of ten that would have a travel day.

I know I'm biased, but it's seemed to me that the Sox get those 2 out of 10 that don't get a travel day, especially when they play in Anaheim. In fact, I seem to remember that one time the Sox specifically asked the Angels to move a getaway game to a day game instead of a night game, because the Sox did have a game the next day on the East Coast, and the Angels said no.

getonbckthr
05-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Put them on regular TV opposed to Cable.