PDA

View Full Version : Former pitcher Geremi Gonzalez killed by lightning

Jjav829
05-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Most will probably remember him from his Cubs days, back when his name was spelled with a 'J' (Jeremi Gonzalez).

It's a shame to hear about. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtuojNvoRmE9Xn57PedGpfYRvLYF?slug=ap-obit-geremigonzalez&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Elephant
05-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Wow that's sad.

A major league pitcher, and ended up dying from a lightning strike. Talk about an unlikely life.

Why did he change the spelling of his name? :?:

Jjav829
05-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Wow that's sad.

A major league pitcher, and ended up dying from a lightning strike. Talk about an unlikely life.

Why did he change the spelling of his name? :?:

According to the ever reliable Wikipedia, the proper spelling of his name is with a 'G,' but he didn't inform anyone of that until he went to the Brewers in 2006.

Elephant
05-26-2008, 12:49 PM
I know if an entire nation of media started spelling my name wrong, I'd just roll with it.

the1tab
05-26-2008, 12:55 PM
He'll probably be best remembered not for winning 11 games as a Cubs, but for his Wrigley Comeback, when he first broke the news to the world that Sammy Sosa was a fraud. He threw the pitch that broke Sosa's corked bat.

Rest in Peace

ondafarm
05-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Never good news.

RIP.

turners56
05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
This is some sad stuff. It's pretty damn hard to be struck by lightning on a beach, was he holding up an aluminum baseball bat or something?

This was also the guy who showed us that Sammy Sosa is nothing but a cheater. He was the one who broke Sosa's corked bat. RIP, you showed us who Sammy Sosa really was (even though we knew, but you know Cubs fans...)

WhiteSox5187
05-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I remembr him in '97 he won a couple of games and seemed like a good young pitcher. But he just kept getting injured. RIP.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Irregardless of what team he pitched for it is sad for anyone to die at the age of 33.

To be struck by lightning at a beach is a freak occurrence.

:rip:

However here is a picture of him as the umps take Sammy Sosa's "batting practice" bat away.

http://ocaoimh.ie/xeer/images/walkingoff.jpg