PDA

View Full Version : Brushback Debate

Viva Magglio
05-03-2002, 10:13 AM
Some are saying that we should have brushed Mike Cameron back last night. While Porzio did hit him, that HBP was because of a lack of control and no intent. I say that we don't need to be Neanderthals and plunk someone every time he takes us deep.

StepsInSC
05-03-2002, 10:21 AM
I say plunk everyone who ever gets a hit on us. They deserve it.

bjmarte
05-03-2002, 10:24 AM
Why wait for them to get a hit? I say plunk anyone with a BA over 250.

:hitless
I'm safe!

Paulwny
05-03-2002, 10:24 AM
I belive this statement from Frank Robinson is correct:

"Probably the most dramatic change in pitching I've observed in my years in baseball has been the disappearance of the knockdown or brushback pitch. This is why record numbers of home runs are flying out of ballparks, why earned run averages are soaring, and why there are so few twenty game winners in the majors."

bjmarte
05-03-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte
Why wait for them to get a hit? I say plunk anyone with a BA over 250.

:rauch
"That's what I've been trying to do!"

PANFIRECRACKER
05-03-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Some are saying that we should have brushed Mike Cameron back last night. While Porzio did hit him, that HBP was because of a lack of control and no intent. I say that we don't need to be Neanderthals and plunk someone every time he takes us deep.

They don't need to actually hit anyone. They do however need to claim the inside part of the plate to keep hitters uncomfortable. This assumes, of course the pitcher in question has the control to pitch it where he wants it, something I doubt with most sox pitchers.

MarqSox
05-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I belive this statement from Frank Robinson is correct:

"Probably the most dramatic change in pitching I've observed in my years in baseball has been the disappearance of the knockdown or brushback pitch. This is why record numbers of home runs are flying out of ballparks, why earned run averages are soaring, and why there are so few twenty game winners in the majors."

Pretty hypocritical coming from the guy who, until this season, gave out 5 game suspensions just for thinking about throwing inside ... :angry:

duke of dorwood
05-03-2002, 11:26 AM
I'm amazed that Butter did not peg Cameron. That's not like him. Not that his fastball would have hurt him.

WinningUgly!
05-03-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I'm amazed that Butter did not peg Cameron. That's not like him. Not that his fastball would have hurt him.

I think he tried to all 3 times he faced him. But, everything he threw, turned into a straight, 80 mph, meatball...right over the heart of the plate.

oldcomiskey
05-03-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

so what youre saying is that Sal Maglie and Early Wynn were cavemen---grow up

bc2k
05-04-2002, 03:02 AM
Like Ed Farmer has said, it is not the home run that upsets the pitcher, it is his gloating and celebration around that bases. From what I saw, Cameron didn't showboat (Sosa bunny hop) so should not have been plunked. To rob him of an at bat and chance at history by pegging him without reason is just wrong and bad baseball.

I wish Sosa was beaned after every bunny hop celebration. If every pitcher did that, Sosa wouldn't be hopping-be it because he learned his lesson or got too many hits to the legs to jump. Maybe Dan Wright and his fastball should start the trend... :smile:

RedPinStripes
05-04-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Like Ed Farmer has said, it is not the home run that upsets the pitcher, it is his gloating and celebration around that bases. From what I saw, Cameron didn't showboat (Sosa bunny hop) so should not have been plunked. To rob him of an at bat and chance at history by pegging him without reason is just wrong and bad baseball.

I wish Sosa was beaned after every bunny hop celebration. If every pitcher did that, Sosa wouldn't be hopping-be it because he learned his lesson or got too many hits to the legs to jump. Maybe Dan Wright and his fastball should start the trend... :smile:

:rocked
I'll do it! I love throwing chin music.

palehosemike
05-04-2002, 08:09 AM
The tools in the Chicago media are looking into this to much. Porzio is not what you would call a "control pitcher." For god sakes he is young and can get wild at times, of course he is going to plunk someone. They are making mountains out of mole hills.

PHM

oldcomiskey
05-04-2002, 09:35 AM
all true but dont think for a minute that Wynn or Maglie or Gibson or Drysdale wouldve thought about that...