PDA

View Full Version : After 50 games this season

fusillirob1983
05-25-2008, 10:53 PM
The teams winning 30 of their first 50:

Arizona Diamondbacks
Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Also, the Marlins are the only team that still has a chance to match it.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Good way for both teams to celebrate their 10th anniversary.

MHOUSE
05-26-2008, 01:57 AM
This has been a surprising first 50 games of 2008. I really thought the Diamondbacks would be good this year, but not to the tune of .600 baseball. The Marlins have been a surprise, but they have so much young talent they were bound to put something together.

I was more shocked at how far the Padres have fallen and how poorly the "hungry" Colorado Rockies have been. I also called that the Tigers' pitching staff would sink them. I am surprised at how well the Cardinals have done though. Considering their patchwork rotation and Izzy-less bullpen, they have played out of their minds. When did Todd Wellemeyer become relevent?

Other than that, the Cubs, Red Sox, Angels, were expected first place/contending teams. Our White Sox have pitched like I thought they could, but they need to do something to awaken their offensive slumber that dates back to most of last year.

Railsplitter
05-26-2008, 06:53 AM

Arizona Diamondbacks
Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Two months ago, nobody would have beleived it about the Rays.

BadBobbyJenks
05-26-2008, 09:47 AM
The Rays are legit. Kazmir and Shields is a very good 1-2 combo and Garza/Jackson has been pretty decent at the back end. Once they get Price up there, the Rays are going to be a force.

fquaye149
05-26-2008, 10:13 AM

Believed they'd be this good? Maybe not. But they had a pretty good team going into the season...

FedEx227
05-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Believed they'd be this good? Maybe not. But they had a pretty good team going into the season...

In my preseason picks I had them pegged for 2nd. A lot of people had them fielding a more than competitive team all year.

munchman33
05-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I believe I picked them to win the wild card in my preseason predictions.

Jjav829
05-26-2008, 11:39 AM

Maybe not this good, but there is a lot of talent on the Rays. And there is still more on the way. If they can just keep this group together, they're going to be competitive every year.

JohnTucker0814
05-26-2008, 11:53 AM
The Rays are legit. Kazmir and Shields is a very good 1-2 combo and Garza/Jackson has been pretty decent at the back end. Once they get Price up there, the Rays are going to be a force.

Price won't be up for at least another year.. he just made his first professional start this month on the 22nd. It was impressive, but I'd guess he is going to have to be down there for at least a year. They do have Jacob McGee in AA which is a top 25 prospect in baseball. He's been very impressive at times, but not as impressive in a few starts as well. I think they ended up getting the better end of the Garza/Young deal. Young seems to have absolutely ZERO power!

Elephant
05-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Cleveland and Detroit are who I thought they were, and I said as much before the season started. One team needed big turnarounds from most of their starting pitchers, and the other brought back 99% of the same team from last year, which is almost always a bad idea. As far as we go, we are who I thought we could be if everything went right, and it luckily has. I figured we were anywhere from a 72-92 win team depending on all the x-factors (Quentin, Floyd and Danks, Contreras, the bullpen, etc...all of which have pretty much come through on the high end of things).

Arizona is who I thought they was. They should win the pennant barring a choke job. Brandon Webb has 9 wins and a WHIP < 1.

turners56
05-26-2008, 12:02 PM
We'll find out how good the Rays really are this week.

BadBobbyJenks
05-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Price won't be up for at least another year.. he just made his first professional start this month on the 22nd. It was impressive, but I'd guess he is going to have to be down there for at least a year. They do have Jacob McGee in AA which is a top 25 prospect in baseball. He's been very impressive at times, but not as impressive in a few starts as well. I think they ended up getting the better end of the Garza/Young deal. Young seems to have absolutely ZERO power!

I didn't intend for that to mean Price coming up this season, just that the Rays are turining into a very good team that is going to get better when their young pitching does arrive.

turners56
05-26-2008, 12:43 PM
The Red Sox were 31-19, so they would fit in your category. But now that they've lost 3 in a row, they're 31-22.

chaerulez
05-27-2008, 01:13 AM

Arizona Diamondbacks
Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Also, the Marlins are the only team that still has a chance to match it.

The Red Sox won 31 of their first 50 games.