PDA

View Full Version : It is time.....

MaggPipes
05-03-2002, 08:30 AM
to start giving Royce Clayton some props around here, you bashed him last year when he really sucked, and now he still may be hitting for a low average looks at his power and run production. CLAYTON allready has 5 Homer Runs...that is as Many and C. Lee and more than Konerko if i am not mistaken. Also he has decent RBI's and is still fielding excellently....right now I do not want to see Jose "Iron hands" at short.....I am sure our pitchers don't either.

foulkesfan11
05-03-2002, 09:09 AM
I'm not the biggest Clayton fan, but I'd rather see him at the plate lately than Valentin. I say, Sit Valentin & bring up Joe Crede!

Soxboyrob
05-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
CLAYTON allready has 5 Homer Runs...that is as Many and C. Lee and more than Konerko if i am not mistaken. Also he has decent RBI's and is still fielding excellently

Has it occurred to anyone to wonder if Royce corks his bat? It just seems to me that on the rare occasion that he makes good contact w/ the ball, the ball really jumps off of his bat. Just a thought. Wouldn't surprise me if he did since he swings only for the fences. Him doing something to his bat to help him reach those fences shouldn't surprise anyone.

bc2k
05-04-2002, 02:18 AM
Royce has been solid this year and I'm happy he is our shortstop. He has been a solid, consistant contributer. Speed at the bottom of the line-up, driving in key rbi's, and of course flawless fielding.

It angers me when I hear Sox fans at Comiskey boo him this year. The guy hasn't been bad since the first half of 2001, and yet he still gets booed. I can't help but think that fan doesn't know dick about the Sox. Hasn't seen a game in over a year.

I don't know if I want to sign him in the offseason, especially with Valentin signed and Crede ready, but I'm interested in seeing how this will all unfold for 2003.

RedPinStripes
05-04-2002, 02:28 AM
He hasn't been great offensivly, but much better then last year. I'll give him some credit.

(note to self................Avoid these threads. I don't feel right complimenting chiahead)

doublem23
05-04-2002, 02:56 AM
Give him props for what? Hitting .200? Just because a guy manages to knock a homer out every now and then, he's still barely getting 1 hit for every 5 ABs... and he still strikes out a TON, primarily because all he does is swing as hard as he possibly can (which, sadly, isn't all that hard), and completely whiff on the vast majority of pitches thrown to him. Couple that with the fact that he apparently REFUSES to take a walk.

Now, I'm not saying Manos has been a world-beater either, but come on... You can't expect us to be kissing Klayton's ass when he's still flirting with the Mendoza Line.

And I agree with PHG... For the most part, the best way to get out of a slump is to hit your way out of it. As long as the Sox offense is doing well, there's really no reason to make some sort of massive overhaul to "fix" something that's not broken in the first place. If the offense starts to dwindle, OK, then we'll talk, but for the most part, let Caballo and Manos just hit their way out of their funks... Worked for Paul Konerko, and it looks like its starting to work for Frank now, too.

Whoo! Go Sox!

Interesting theory, Soxboyrob...

:slowswing
Hey? What happened to all my bats?

kingpin_rcs
05-04-2002, 09:29 AM
Just look at how many errors he has at short this year...ZERO. That is a huge improvment for the Sox over the last two seasons. Solid defence up the middle is very important when you have young pitchers. I believe that if the pitchers are confident in the defence behind them then that is one less thing they need to worry about.

Also, does anybody remember who led the tem in hitting for the second half of the season last year? Yep, it was RC. So he's a slow starter - if last year was an indication he should get better as the season progresses.

OEO Magglio
05-04-2002, 02:40 PM
You guys have to start giving Royce credit. He doesn't hit great, but he comes up and gets big hits, and he might not be bashing the ball, but he saves runs on defense, and he helps are pitchers big time, so you have to start giving Royce credit.

RedPinStripes
05-04-2002, 02:47 PM
I can see this ending up in the parking lot . This is brawl material.

OKCSoxFan
05-04-2002, 03:30 PM
A guy who stands flat footed doesn't move on a single hit would have no errors at the end of the year, either, so maybe that's not the best measure of a player.

Would pitchers really prefer to have Clayton at SS? Royce has less range to knock stuff down if it's behind second base or between the gap. Jose may not end up getting outs on those plays, either, but it would prevent a runner from scoring from second. Besides, if Manos makes an error, it won't hurt their ERA. Royce watching balls bounce into the outfield would certainly take its toll.

Is he doing better offensively this year? I'm not so sure. So what...5 HR. Some of them have actually been meaningful. His Average and on-base percentage is lower this year than last and overall for his career. Personally, I'd rather have my 9-hole slap some hits around and get on base to set the table and wreak some havoc on the pitchers facing the top of the lineup that hits better with men on. He needs to worry about getting on instead of swinging for fences.

In his defense I will say that I haven't been as disappointed after one month this year as I was last year. If he can improve his numbers this year like he did last, I think he'll be a heck of an asset for the stretch.

Soxheads
05-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Give him props for what? Hitting .200? Just because a guy manages to knock a homer out every now and then, he's still barely getting 1 hit for every 5 ABs... and he still strikes out a TON, primarily because all he does is swing as hard as he possibly can (which, sadly, isn't all that hard), and completely whiff on the vast majority of pitches thrown to him. Couple that with the fact that he apparently REFUSES to take a walk.

I agree on this. While Clayton has been hitting homers, it seems like that's all he's trying to do. I would much rather see him play better small ball, and try to hit for contact more often.

Now, I'm not saying Manos has been a world-beater either, but come on... You can't expect us to be kissing Klayton's ass when he's still flirting with the Mendoza Line.

Did I mention he still has the lowest BA on the team?

And I agree with PHG... For the most part, the best way to get out of a slump is to hit your way out of it. As long as the Sox offense is doing well, there's really no reason to make some sort of massive overhaul to "fix" something that's not broken in the first place. If the offense starts to dwindle, OK, then we'll talk, but for the most part, let Caballo and Manos just hit their way out of their funks... Worked for Paul Konerko, and it looks like its starting to work for Frank now, too.

Here's to seeing Manos at short and Crede at third in 2003!

:gulp:

MikeKreevich
05-04-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
Just look at how many errors he has at short this year...ZERO. That is a huge improvment for the Sox over the last two seasons. Solid defence up the middle is very important when you have young pitchers. I believe that if the pitchers are confident in the defence behind them then that is one less thing they need to worry about.

Also, does anybody remember who led the tem in hitting for the second half of the season last year? Yep, it was RC. So he's a slow starter - if last year was an indication he should get better as the season progresses.
Royce does make all the routine plays, however, he has poor range, does not go back for ducksnorts very well and has a weak throwing arm. I don't expect to see his batting average rise very much.

Jjav829
05-04-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Here's to seeing Manos at short and Crede at third in 2003!

Here's to when they're both gone and Crede's at third with Reyes, Hummel or Gonzalez at short, so we don't have to hear about this whole who should be at short thing. :smile:

GASHWOUND
05-04-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

Has it occurred to anyone to wonder if Royce corks his bat? It just seems to me that on the rare occasion that he makes good contact w/ the ball, the ball really jumps off of his bat. Just a thought. Wouldn't surprise me if he did since he swings only for the fences. Him doing something to his bat to help him reach those fences shouldn't surprise anyone.

I never thought i would hear that, the guy still is hitting around .200...And I don't think he swings for the fences, the last couple HRs have been hit of breaking mistake pitches, its not like he's turning around 96 MPH heat or anything. If he starts doing that, than you can question.