PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Kershaw is in the show....

btrain929
05-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Esteban Loaiza was DFA, and now the 20 year old phenom is in the bigs. Arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball, it will be interesting to watch this kid face some big leaguers....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodrep25-2008may25,0,6444523.story

Sockinchisox
05-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I'll be surprised if he makes it past the 5th inning consistently. But he's definitely a big time talent.

Bucky F. Dent
05-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Looking forward to seeing this kid play.

JohnTucker0814
05-25-2008, 09:31 AM
hoping this can propel my dynasty team... i am in some desperate need for a quality arm!!!!

Grzegorz
05-25-2008, 09:38 AM
i am in some desperate need for a quality arm!!!!

My FBL team needs a healthy arm so that's why I picked him up.

I hope this kid is all he's cracked up to be.

Jjav829
05-25-2008, 08:50 PM
So, who else watched Kershaw's debut?

I've been eager to see him, so I watched and was impressed. His curveball lived up to the hype. He has a good fastball, but he definitely needs to refine a 3rd pitch.

Still, pitching on mainly two pitches, he went 6 innings, struck out seven, walked one and gave up two runs. One of those runs came when James Loney lost a pop-up in the sun, and Blake Dewitt later made a poor throw home. The other was when he got beat by Pujols after a walk (came in the first inning). It was a very good debut.

MHOUSE
05-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I watched some of the game, being in Missouri, but mostly the latter half. He looked good the parts I saw, but 32 pitches in the first inning kind of raised some flags. He might have some command issues to still sort out. Cardinals K-ed like 15 times by games' end so they weren't being patient at all which helped Kershaw I think.

gogosox16
05-25-2008, 09:34 PM
I watch the highlights of this game and this kid has great potential to be a flat out stud. His breaking ball is solid but as someone posted before, he lacks a solid 3rd pitch. If he could work on that when he gets back into the minors, he will a solid pitcher in the bigs for a very long time

Over By There
05-27-2008, 08:39 AM
hoping this can propel my dynasty team... i am in some desperate need for a quality arm!!!!

I hope he's a bust... :wink:

btrain929
05-27-2008, 08:44 AM
I watch the highlights of this game and this kid has great potential to be a flat out stud. His breaking ball is solid but as someone posted before, he lacks a solid 3rd pitch. If he could work on that when he gets back into the minors, he will a solid pitcher in the bigs for a very long time

The team DFA a SP to make room for him. I'm not too sure he'll be heading back down to the minors anytime soon...

Foulke You
05-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Best of luck to Esteban Loaiza. I'll never forget that 2003 season he had. He should have won the Cy Young that year and probably would have if we could have held off the Twins for the division title. Esteban had an unbelievable cutter that year. I wonder if the Brewers will sniff around Loaiza. They certainly could use another veteran starting pitcher right now.

Over By There
05-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Best of luck to Esteban Loaiza. I'll never forget that 2003 season he had. He should have won the Cy Young that year and probably would have if we could have held off the Twins for the division title. Esteban had an unbelievable cutter that year.

Agreed... plus, the residue of his great 2003 campaign brought us Jose Contreras.

eriqjaffe
05-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Man, that was 2003? Time flies...

Foulke You
05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Agreed... plus, the residue of his great 2003 campaign brought us Jose Contreras.
Good call. The Loaiza for Contreras trade is yet another example of KW selling high on a player. (Freddy Garcia is another one) I remember when we traded Loaiza to NY, the national media basically spun it as "Yankees dump bust Cuban pitcher on White Sox for proven Cy Young horse". However, by '04, Loaiza wasn't the same guy he was in '03 and the trade made sense for an '04 Sox squad that was fading with Thomas and Ordonez both on the shelf with major injuries. Cooper discovered that Jose was tipping his pitches and once that was fixed, Jose was a much different pitcher.