PDA

View Full Version : Two Versions of Moronotti Column

Viva Magglio
05-03-2002, 08:02 AM
There are two editions of the Moron report this morning. The one in the Sun-Times "Late Sports Final" edition gererally focuses on Mike Cameron's feat and makes nice mentions of Paul Konerko. However, the one I want to focus on is the column in the earlier "Sports Final" edition of the Sun-Times.

In that piece, which I presume is not available online, the focus is on Konerko with mentions of Cameron. However, the Moron makes a series of statements in this particular column only that are worth noting:

"What I've done is place a moratorium on teh Great White Sox Grudge. Whatever it is you don't like about this franchise - ballpark, neighborhood, management, Elvis Night, terminal Cubness - should be set aside for now."

This quote was really in reference to Cameron, but it is also related to Mariotti's recognition of our great offense. He does say that as the Cubs flounder, we should "dominate conversation and have a fun year." However, toward the end of the column, the Moron says this:

"I almost feet sorry for these hitters, bashing in obscurity on cold nights before 35,000 of their best blue-plastic friends. Not much has changed about the dismal ballmall enviornment - the upper deck still qualifies as Chicago's only ski slope, fans still can be unruly and the neighborhood still isn't the safest."

Isn't that a windsock within a column?

foulkesfan11
05-03-2002, 09:07 AM
Obviously he didn't read my article in the times last week, or he just doesn't care.

DVG
05-04-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
There are two editions of the Moron report this morning. The one in the Sun-Times "Late Sports Final" edition gererally focuses on Mike Cameron's feat and makes nice mentions of Paul Konerko. However, the one I want to focus on is the column in the earlier "Sports Final" edition of the Sun-Times.

In that piece, which I presume is not available online, the focus is on Konerko with mentions of Cameron. However, the Moron makes a series of statements in this particular column only that are worth noting:

"What I've done is place a moratorium on teh Great White Sox Grudge. Whatever it is you don't like about this franchise - ballpark, neighborhood, management, Elvis Night, terminal Cubness - should be set aside for now."

This quote was really in reference to Cameron, but it is also related to Mariotti's recognition of our great offense. He does say that as the Cubs flounder, we should "dominate conversation and have a fun year." However, toward the end of the column, the Moron says this:

"I almost feet sorry for these hitters, bashing in obscurity on cold nights before 35,000 of their best blue-plastic friends. Not much has changed about the dismal ballmall enviornment - the upper deck still qualifies as Chicago's only ski slope, fans still can be unruly and the neighborhood still isn't the safest."

Isn't that a windsock within a column?

That crap is just flat out disgusting. Where's John Justin Smith
when you really need him? Hell, I'll settle for Mike Royko. True,
he was a Cub fan, but he utterly despised Mariotti and ripped
columns of his to pieces more than once.

rmusacch
05-04-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
Obviously he didn't read my article in the times last week, or he just doesn't care.

The fact that you cared enough to write that article shows the brass at the Sun Times all they need to know. If people are complaining about the Moron, it means that they are reading him. That is all they care about, that he has readers.

Pete_SSAC
05-04-2002, 01:30 AM
"I almost feet sorry for these 'hitters', wiffing into infamy on cold nights before 35,000 of their best pass-out driunk friends. Not much has changed about the dismal ballmall enviornment - the bleachers still qualify as Chicago's best single's bar, fans still can urinate on the walls and the neighborhood still isn't the straightest."

- Pete